Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Yahoo Sports: Calderon or Ford as the Raps starting PG? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/yahoo-sports-calderon-ford-raps-starting-pg-642.html)

Dr. J. Naismith 02-05-2008 10:29 PM

Yahoo Sports: Calderon or Ford as the Raps starting PG?
 
:haha: Looks like we're not the only out there debating this hot topic. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahoo Sports
It was a bit of a surprise, but T.J. Ford returned to the Raptors line-up in Miami last night. Ford came off the bench to play 17 minutes against the Heat's scrubs, posting four points, four assists, two steals and just one turnover. Not a bad line for the little guy's first real crack at game speed in almost two months since suffering a stinger in his neck.

And while I'm sure members of the Raptors' organization are happy as Clamato Juice to have Ford back healthy, his return does present Coach Sam Mitchell with an interesting dilemma: Who starts at point guard again -- Jose Calderon or T.J. Ford?

It's no secret that Calderon has been tearing up the Eastern Conference since taking over for Ford. With solid starter minutes, Calderon has averaged 14 points (on 53% shooting) and 10 dimes. Add to that a ridiculous league-leading 5.56 assist-to-turnover ratio, and the Spaniard even had some NBA pundits claiming he should make the All-Star Game. He's been incredible.

But does Calderon's play mean Ford shouldn't be awarded his starting point spot back? I say no.

First off, a player should ever lose their job because of injury. That doesn't seem right. From all reports, Ford has worked his tail off in his attempt to comeback. You think he was visualizing the bench every time he ran lines or lifted a dumbbell? No way. The starting spot was Ford's before the fluke accident; it should be his when he returns. To take it away from him would be emotionally deflating.

In addition, Calderon has proven he can succeed in both the starter and back-up roles, so you have to believe his play would remain steady. He has a lot of experience preparing for a game off the bench; T.J., not so much.

But what do you think? Does a healthy Ford deserve his starting spot back? Could moving Calderon back to the bench hurt the Raptors' recent success? And hey, what about Darrick Martin? Let's hear it.

Link - Click here

Belsius 02-05-2008 10:54 PM

lol at darrick. But yeah, we have a huge dilemma. I choose calde of course, but man Tj has worked his ass off to be ready. Tough decision, I dont wanna be Sam in one month when Tj is ready to play 100%.

Acie 02-05-2008 11:05 PM

[benzo]TJ's the starter, even when TJ's not the starter. [/benzo]

Benzo 02-05-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACIEEARL40 (Post 8418)
[benzo]TJ's the starter, even when TJ's not the starter. [/benzo]

Hahahahah....I love this place.

Kuzzy 02-05-2008 11:31 PM

TJ STARTS!!
Love Caldy
but TJ's just unstoppable at times and he throws some nice dimes!

Benzo 02-05-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuzzy (Post 8434)
TJ STARTS!!
Love Caldy
but TJ's just unstoppable at times and he throws some nice dimes!


Your right...unfortunatly not even TJ can stop TJ sometimes.

raptor123 02-06-2008 08:19 AM

Well folkes its a no brainer. Jose is your starting point guard. It should have been his role right from the beginning.BC did not know what he had in Jose when he traded for ford. It was sam mitchell who wanted ford. The big bucks gave ford the starting job. Last year Jose was solid and his strong play started the controversy. Jose just got stronger as the season progressed last year.Jose is leading or near the top in alot areas stats wise for point guards. He could be setting a NBA record in ast/to ratio. I say he stays as our starter and continues to get more minutes.
Lets look at it another way folks, let say Ford is still playing for the Bucks and Jose is still playing for the raptors would Toronto trade Jose to the Bucks for ford ? We ran a mini poll at work and everyone said that there is no way that Toronto would trade Jose for ford. Then we flipped the question from the Bucks side would you send ford to the raptors for Calderon and the answer was yes. Well sounds to me that Jose is our guy and as long as ford is a raptor he comes off the bench.

Claudius 02-06-2008 08:31 AM

Simple. Play the person who gives you the best possible chance of succeeding on any given night.

Hell, we could do a rotational thing as well, like in baseball with starting pitchers. If we think a guy matches up better against a certain team, start and play him more. This way you're utilizing the strengths of this team to its advantage. Again just an idea.

moremilk 02-06-2008 09:48 AM

given that TJ will always be a starter, it's a no brainer. Start Calderon and with TJ being a starter even when coming of the bench, we'd be the first NBA team to have a "starting 6" - talk about competitive advantage :)

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 02-06-2008 09:49 AM

These two main points say it best: (sounds familiar too :) )

First off, a player should ever lose their job because of injury. That doesn't seem right. From all reports, Ford has worked his tail off in his attempt to comeback. You think he was visualizing the bench every time he ran lines or lifted a dumbbell? No way. The starting spot was Ford's before the fluke accident; it should be his when he returns. To take it away from him would be emotionally deflating.

In addition, Calderon has proven he can succeed in both the starter and back-up roles, so you have to believe his play would remain steady. He has a lot of experience preparing for a game off the bench; T.J., not so much.


'nuff said.

Benzo 02-06-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! (Post 8478)
These two main points say it best: (sounds familiar too :) )

First off, a player should ever lose their job because of injury. That doesn't seem right. From all reports, Ford has worked his tail off in his attempt to comeback. You think he was visualizing the bench every time he ran lines or lifted a dumbbell? No way. The starting spot was Ford's before the fluke accident; it should be his when he returns. To take it away from him would be emotionally deflating.

In addition, Calderon has proven he can succeed in both the starter and back-up roles, so you have to believe his play would remain steady. He has a lot of experience preparing for a game off the bench; T.J., not so much.


'nuff said.


A player should never lose his job because of injury???? Ask the New England Patriots if we should abide by that philosophy.

Benzo 02-06-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moremilk (Post 8476)
given that TJ will always be a starter, it's a no brainer. Start Calderon and with TJ being a starter even when coming of the bench, we'd be the first NBA team to have a "starting 6" - talk about competitive advantage :)

This might be my favorite post ever..:batman:

BballWatcher 02-06-2008 10:22 AM

This "never lose your starting job due to injury" obsession is stupid IMO.

If a player improves to the point that they should be starting, then they should start.

What about if, say the Lakers had Eddie Jones starting at SG when Kobe was a rook, then Jones goes down with an injury and Kobe starts averaging 20ppg. Should Jones get his job back?

It's one thing if Joey Graham takes your starting job, but come on! If your replacement merits all-star consideration, then it should be a long, hard debate whether you should get your starting job back.

Belsius 02-06-2008 10:49 AM

Aparently Sam said on the Fan Jose will be our starter.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 02-06-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BballWatcher (Post 8491)
This "never lose your starting job due to injury" obsession is stupid IMO.

If a player improves to the point that they should be starting, then they should start.

What about if, say the Lakers had Eddie Jones starting at SG when Kobe was a rook, then Jones goes down with an injury and Kobe starts averaging 20ppg. Should Jones get his job back?

It's one thing if Joey Graham takes your starting job, but come on! If your replacement merits all-star consideration, then it should be a long, hard debate whether you should get your starting job back.

You are conveniently forgetting TJ was putting up very similar numbers before he got hurt AND he plays superior defense.

So if Bosh goes down and Andrea starts getting 25 and 10 as a PForward Bosh shouldn't take the 4 spot back when he returns? You're all making this argument because you like Jose better...not because it's right :)

Acie 02-06-2008 11:08 AM

It's about winning. Who's going to help you win the most games is who should be starting.

Dr. J. Naismith 02-06-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! (Post 8497)
You are conveniently forgetting TJ was putting up very similar numbers before he got hurt AND he plays superior defense.

Offensively with points, yes and definitely with his defense, but when it comes to distribution of the ball and turnovers its not even close. Those are two areas which are extremely important when running an offense.

I like Ford, but your given him a little too much credit this time around SWAN. JMO ;)

Benzo 02-06-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! (Post 8497)

So if Bosh goes down and Andrea starts getting 25 and 10 as a PForward Bosh shouldn't take the 4 spot back when he returns?

If Bosh went down and Andrea put up 25 and 10...If he didnt stay at PF and move Bosh to C I would cease to be a Raptors fan.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 02-06-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith (Post 8502)
Offensively with points, yes and definitely with his defense, but when it comes to distribution of the ball and turnovers its not even close. Those are two areas which are extremely important when running an offense.

I like Ford, but your given him a little too much credit this time around SWAN. JMO ;)

Not even close? Come on... 7 assist per game so far this year and that's without Bosh or Parker playing well.

And there are two ways to look at assists to turnovers(which TJ's numbers aren't bad btw).... yes Jose takes control of the ball but he's also too passive sometimes...lately he's been getting better and lately he's made more turnovers but in an uptempo offense you have to make difficult passes and TJ is a bit better at this(i.e. that first pass to Kapono he made on monday).

Not knocking Jose ..i love his game but saying he's far better at distributing than TJ is not fair or accurate.

As Acie mentioned it's about the team winning...once TJ is 100% again I believe the team will win more games with him kicking off the game and defending the other team's top pg... time will tell if Sam and BC see it that way too.

moremilk 02-06-2008 01:07 PM

barring a miracle/disaster, Jose will start for the rest of the season, so this topic is pointless. All Jose fans will take his side, and the TJays will take the opposite ... It's not like there's anything left unsaid. As long as we continue to play good (especially Andreea), Sam will not dare mess with the lineup. TJ is man enough to understand this, the bench players will love him and everybody will be happy. I think not even the most rabid TJ fan (yes SWAN, you :)) would content that TJ is a significant upgrade over Jose.

Next season is a different story - it will be up for grabs probably.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24