Wolstat: Raptors' Recent Play Has Been 'Huge Encouragement' To Ujiri But... - Page 2

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,884
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
I don't understand the "but" in the title when reading the article. where is the entire article? i cannot find it on the sun or google unless posted by someone other than wolstat.
Raptors Recent Play Has Been Huge Encouragement To Ujiri But Still Taking Long View - RealGM Wiretap
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diamond Scorpion View Post
You hit the nail right on the head. One question for all the people still on pro-tank, did MU tank when he first took over the Nuggets? Answer is simply no. He made trades to acquire assets and picks. We are not gutting this team just because this draft is hyped. I can tell you right now if we gut this team and lets say we get Wiggins or any top pick and that player becomes complete shit in this league you all will be pretty pissed off for the next few years to come.
You use the example of Denver as if it was a success. If anything that should be evidence that we should tank. That team is stuck in perpetual mediocrity because they should be a playoff team but they will never get to the next level because they don't have a star and don't have the assets to get one. That is where this team is destined in the long run.

Now I ask a question to you: Say Masai goes with the flow of this team, allows them to continue their success, and keeps Lowry past the deadline. What happens if he gets hurt? Its not uncommon for Lowry to do so. This team would end up worse for sure, and we could end up losing Lowry for nothing anyway.

I'd say Lowry getting hurt is more likely than our hypthetical top 5 pick being a bust.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,991
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
You use the example of Denver as if it was a success. If anything that should be evidence that we should tank. That team is stuck in perpetual mediocrity because they should be a playoff team but they will never get to the next level because they don't have a star and don't have the assets to get one. That is where this team is destined in the long run.

Now I ask a question to you: Say Masai goes with the flow of this team, allows them to continue their success, and keeps Lowry past the deadline. What happens if he gets hurt? Its not uncommon for Lowry to do so. This team would end up worse for sure, and we could end up losing Lowry for nothing anyway.

I'd say Lowry getting hurt is more likely than our hypthetical top 5 pick being a bust.
Why do you ignore the fact that Gallinari and Javale have been injured since the get-go, plus a new coach with a new system. Wait, I know, you couldn't make your argument if you actually thought of those things.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,739
Representing:
Default

all options are always open - he will do whatever he needs to do. It's only in a make-believe world that something has to be decided with some kind of finality that will inevitably lead to a sexy hyped-up pick. Tanking is still an option if it becomes necessary - that would be when wins truly mean nothing - and I think at the moment that is not so much on his mind. There are a lot of other options, particularly when the longview is considered. Just let the man do his work and stop stressing about meaningless labels.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Why do you ignore the fact that Gallinari and Javale have been injured since the get-go, plus a new coach with a new system. Wait, I know, you couldn't make your argument if you actually thought of those things.
Adding Gallinari to the Nuggets last year in the playoffs doesn't let them beat Golden State. Even if you ignore their failures this year, they could not get it done in the playoffs last year, which is what will happen with this team.

Why did you dodge the question I posed? Wait, I know, you realize this team is fucked in that scenario and don't want to say it.

Last edited by KoolAid; 01-03-2014 at 10:00 PM.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Landing flight 31

Senior Member
 
0nekhmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

NOW he says the word rebuild, when we're.. winning
0nekhmer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
is Fired Up!

Member
 
Fröz-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 475
Representing:
Default

Sounds like he wants to tank ... but the Raps won't let him! lol
Fröz-d is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,991
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Adding Gallinari to the Nuggets last year in the playoffs doesn't let them beat Golden State. Even if you ignore their failures this year, they could not get it done in the playoffs last year, which is what will happen with this team.

Why did you dodge the question I posed? Wait, I know, you realize this team is fucked in that scenario and don't want to say it.
Because it was a stupid question. What if is usually followed by some hypothetical situation that might or might not happen. Don't twist yourself into a knot posing hypothetical questions. Wait, I know, you like twisting yourself into knots.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
A True Diamond In The Rough

Senior Member
 
Diamond Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pluto
Posts: 3,455
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Why do you ignore the fact that Gallinari and Javale have been injured since the get-go, plus a new coach with a new system. Wait, I know, you couldn't make your argument if you actually thought of those things.
Well said. I would have responded the same way. Also, KoolAid if they had to resign Iggy and not get rid of Karl (even though I don't mind Shaw) they would be playing much better now.
Diamond Scorpion is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Because it was a stupid question. What if is usually followed by some hypothetical situation that might or might not happen. Don't twist yourself into a knot posing hypothetical questions. Wait, I know, you like twisting yourself into knots.
Like every strategy, going for the playoffs this year has a lot of risks. Lowry getting hurt is just one of them. You don't want to acknowledge this why?




















agendas
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diamond Scorpion View Post
Well said. I would have responded the same way. Also, KoolAid if they had to resign Iggy and not get rid of Karl (even though I don't mind Shaw) they would be playing much better now.
Quote:
Even if you ignore their failures this year, they could not get it done in the playoffs last year, which is what will happen with this team.
.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #32 (permalink)
A True Diamond In The Rough

Senior Member
 
Diamond Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pluto
Posts: 3,455
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Adding Gallinari to the Nuggets last year in the playoffs doesn't let them beat Golden State. Even if you ignore their failures this year, they could not get it done in the playoffs last year, which is what will happen with this team.

Why did you dodge the question I posed? Wait, I know, you realize this team is fucked in that scenario and don't want to say it.
How do you know the the Nuggets with Gallo wouldn't have beaten Golden State? Your response is just speculation. That would be like me saying that Memphis wouldn't have beaten OKC in the playoffs last year if Westbrook wasn't injured. There is no guarantee result with basketball. If there was based on records then we should have lost to Indiana on Wednesday, but did that happen? Hell no. Either way I'm done talking, peace man.
Diamond Scorpion is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,991
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Like every strategy, going for the playoffs this year has a lot of risks. Lowry getting hurt is just one of them. You don't want to acknowledge this why?




















agendas
Of course it's a risk. So is JV getting hurt. So is Amir getting hurt. So is Derozan getting hurt. So is Ross getting hurt. Can I go tremble now?
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,131
Representing:
Default

Rebuild? did you watch it? He said IF it is not a good team out there and IF it was not competetive he He also said they are playing well, like each other etc. The message was simply keep it going and I won't rip it apart and nothing else.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
A True Diamond In The Rough

Senior Member
 
Diamond Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pluto
Posts: 3,455
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
Rebuild? did you watch it? He said IF it is not a good team out there and IF it was not competetive he He also said they are playing well, like each other etc. The message was simply keep it going and I won't rip it apart and nothing else.
Well said. Everyone here that thinks MU is going to blowup this team with the way that we are playing right now are bloody mental. Stop thinking all the top picks in this upcoming draft are guaranteed to be franchise players. None of them have played against NBA talent and until they do they are only measured on possible potential. Those players still have to reach it and in the past we have seen hyped players drafted that either become great or are a bust and in some cases injured and never the same again.
Diamond Scorpion is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:00 AM   #36 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,883
Representing:
Default

I said it before, MU won't blow it up when we are 9-3 post the Gay trade and one game above .500. If anything I can see him adding a piece or two to make this team better before the trade deadline.
Tommy C is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #37 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diamond Scorpion View Post
Well said. Everyone here that thinks MU is going to blowup this team with the way that we are playing right now are bloody mental. Stop thinking all the top picks in this upcoming draft are guaranteed to be franchise players. None of them have played against NBA talent and until they do they are only measured on possible potential. Those players still have to reach it and in the past we have seen hyped players drafted that either become great or are a bust and in some cases injured and never the same again.
Likewise, a few people need to temper their expectations with Masai. Its one thing to unload two big contracts, its another to trade rape other teams in exchange for their franchise player, or to draft a star with the 20th pick.

Speaking of injuries, one to any of our key players could derail the season, and if we wait for the trade deadline to pass in order to let that happen, this season could be another patented Raptors 7-11th place finish.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #38 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Likewise, a few people need to temper their expectations with Masai. Its one thing to unload two big contracts, its another to trade rape other teams in exchange for their franchise player, or to draft a star with the 20th pick.

Speaking of injuries, one to any of our key players could derail the season, and if we wait for the trade deadline to pass in order to let that happen, this season could be another patented Raptors 7-11th place finish.
So we should dismantle the team and tank..... out of fear that one of our key guys COULD get injured?

Dude.... come on.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:32 AM   #39 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,131
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
So we should dismantle the team and tank..... out of fear that one of our key guys COULD get injured?

Dude.... come on.
Yes. And actually all teams should be dismantled except the one that is a clear cut choice to win. All teams should always dismantle their roster every year and send their best players to miami until they can beat them clearly 4-0 in a series.

These kinds of posts are so beyond reality...

And pretty much nobody has said this team will win anything beyond maybe a playoff series this year so what the hell has to be tempered.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:49 AM   #40 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
Yes. And actually all teams should be dismantled except the one that is a clear cut choice to win. All teams should always dismantle their roster every year and send their best players to miami until they can beat them clearly 4-0 in a series.

These kinds of posts are so beyond reality...

And pretty much nobody has said this team will win anything beyond maybe a playoff series this year so what the hell has to be tempered.
Read the post, maybe? I was talking about those who think Masai is god when I said to temper expectations. Those who think he will trade an expiring Lowry for Barnes, or DeMar + other stuff for a star. Those who don't understand that the salary cap exists and think he will sign a star with no cap room.

And if you have a young, improving team with a young star in the making I see no problem with making the playoffs knowing you have no chance to make it deep, but if you have a team with its best player at his peak and on an expiring contract, certain decisions must be made to steer the ship in the correct direction.

By the way, I wasn't saying that MU will tank at this point, just that continuing the season as is isn't a risk-free scenario, as so many here like to believe.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24