Will BC Use the Amnesty Clause?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,051
Representing:
Default Will BC Use the Amnesty Clause?

Do you think BC will use the Amnesty Clause to buyout a player with zero cap hit? If so, who?

I don't think he will, although if he did my guess would be Calderon. Moving Calderon will free up $9M this year and $10M next year.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,291
Representing:
Default

Absolutely not this year. Next year is more likely.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Follow @raptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,446
Representing:
Default

not this year, maybe next one though
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

I think Calderon is movable.... there isn't an amnesty-worthy contract on the books at this time. If you can amnesty contracts you trade for, then we'll see BC work his magic..... if it's not allowed, excuse me for not going back and re-reading Dan though I know it's there, then it could get used on a lesser deal in the next few years.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,291
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I think Calderon is movable.... there isn't an amnesty-worthy contract on the books at this time. If you can amnesty contracts you trade for, then we'll see BC work his magic..... if it's not allowed, excuse me for not going back and re-reading Dan though I know it's there, then it could get used on a lesser deal in the next few years.
Seems like although the tentative deal left the door open for making trades and amnestying, it will be written out in the final version to stop this. No confirmation yet, but according to Coon's sources it will not be allowed.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,594
Representing:
Default

assuming it can't be used for a traded player, i would use it on jose in a heartbeat. i would also consider it for amir if we end up paying a high price for a centre, or on kleiza if it looks like he can't come back and be productive.

i'd explore trades for all these guys, but if nothing is done by the deadline i would amnesty any one of them either then or at the start of the free agency period. no sense having them clutter things up next year.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,962
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Absolutely not this year. Next year is more likely.
Makes as much sense this season as next season. Calderon becomes an expiring contract next season and that only leaves Bargnani with a large contract and if anything he'll be staying or dealt for picks + filler. But i don't see him using it at this point.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,784
Representing:
Default

Take out Kleiza, and go for Affalo or Wilson Chandler. How about the effect of the Amnesty clause with other teams. Dallas cutting Haywood's bloated contract to chase after Chandler. Haywood would look pretty good at the C position at the right price.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,962
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPMAN View Post
Take out Kleiza, and go for Affalo or Wilson Chandler. How about the effect of the Amnesty clause with other teams. Dallas cutting Haywood's bloated contract to chase after Chandler. Haywood would look pretty good at the C position at the right price.
Amnestying a 4.5Mil player is a complete waste. Chandler is in China until after the NBA season ends, so he won't be coming here or anywhere else until then.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,594
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Amnestying a 4.5Mil player is a complete waste.
no idea why you keep making that point as if it is fact. if you are not using it on anyone else, you can't use it in a trade, and you determine that kleiza can't contribute productively, why not use it on him? $4.5 mil is nothing to sneeze at when you are trying to clear room, and he may just be dead weight.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,291
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Makes as much sense this season as next season. Calderon becomes an expiring contract next season and that only leaves Bargnani with a large contract and if anything he'll be staying or dealt for picks + filler. But i don't see him using it at this point.
Makes much less sense this season, unless you think they would actually want to spend big money on a free agent this year. They are right up against the minimum salary as it is, so waiving a ten million dollar player just means signing 10 million more dollars worth of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
no idea why you keep making that point as if it is fact. if you are not using it on anyone else, you can't use it in a trade, and you determine that kleiza can't contribute productively, why not use it on him? $4.5 mil is nothing to sneeze at when you are trying to clear room, and he may just be dead weight.
Agreed - if you are certain no one else is worth amnestying, and Kleiza is not contributing, then waiving him makes sense. But really only as an option as an alternative to never using the amnesty. $4.5 million is nothing to sneeze at, but it's not especially great unless you have a specific plan to use it.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,594
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Makes much less sense this season, unless you think they would actually want to spend big money on a free agent this year. They are right up against the minimum salary as it is, so waiving a ten million dollar player just means signing 10 million more dollars worth of players.


just for the record, i'd much rather see $10 mil of 1-year contracts than 2 more years of jose. or if kleiza or amir are the guys to be waived, i'd rather see 1 year nobodies fill out the roster this year with the hope of adding more players later than taking a multi-year cap hit for a guy you don't think is part of the plan going forward.

this is, in part, based on the expectation that we will be terrible this year no matter what, and in part on the assumption that we can add free agents to a team based in toronto.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,291
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
just for the record, i'd much rather see $10 mil of 1-year contracts than 2 more years of jose. or if kleiza or amir are the guys to be waived, i'd rather see 1 year nobodies fill out the roster this year with the hope of adding more players later than taking a multi-year cap hit for a guy you don't think is part of the plan going forward.

this is, in part, based on the expectation that we will be terrible this year no matter what, and in part on the assumption that we can add free agents to a team based in toronto.
But you can use the amnesty any year. If you aren't going to use the cap space this year, and have roster spots to fill as it is, why would you amnesty a player? You can waive the same player next year, with the same monetary cost and cap impact. So the choices you laid out there are false.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,594
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
But you can use the amnesty any year. If you aren't going to use the cap space this year, and have roster spots to fill as it is, why would you amnesty a player? You can waive the same player next year, with the same monetary cost and cap impact. So the choices you laid out there are false.
fair enough. to be more accurate, let them play out this year and then get rid of one of them in the offseason. or amnesty them now and use the space to get a guy that can contribute this year and that you want as part of the future.

jose, kleiza, and possibly amir (depending on what happens with the c and pf positions) are dead weight, and i just don't want to see any of their contracts on the books for next year. if that means they play out this one and then are gone, fine. i just see no need for us to be paying any of them next year.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

jose and kleiza i understand, but how do you figure amir into that mix?
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,594
Representing:
Default

glut at pf, likely to keep davis and bargs. amir has a longer term deal. it is decent. if we could move him i would prefer it. but if we add a c now, and bring in jv next year, and if we plan to use ed and bargs, there's no room left for paying $6.5 mil to amir who really won't play much.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

i completely agree with amir being the man out when it comes to minutes being distributed next season if the current cast remains in tack, i just don't see him as someone who should be considered when discussing the amnesty clause. i think he'd be easy to move for a good starting small forward, sixth man type of player.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,962
Representing:
Default

Hearing Casey when he was hired, i have to say that i wouldn't be so sure that Amir is the odd man out over Davis.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

what did casey have to say? i must have missed what he said that would threaten davis' minutes. there's no way amir should be getting more minutes than he did last season unless he's eatings bargs' pt.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,962
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
what did casey have to say? i must have missed what he said that would threaten davis' minutes. there's no way amir should be getting more minutes than he did last season unless he's eatings bargs' pt.
he talked a lot about amir playing behind bargnani. i recall several people saying what about davis, and that they hoped he wasn't going to be the odd man out. hopefully he was just talking about what he knew at the time. i would also think that BC will tell him Davis is a big part of this team's future and needs to play.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24