To Wiggins or not to Wiggins

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: Do you want to blow it up for a chance at Wiggins
Yes, I wouldn't mind trading everyone except JV 24 51.06%
No, build with this core and add solid pieces 15 31.91%
I am torn between the two 5 10.64%
I do not care, I hate our new GM 1 2.13%
I do not care, I'm just happy BC is gone 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Follow @raptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,445
Representing:
Default To Wiggins or not to Wiggins

I want to see what this board thinks about this. I am honestly torn between trading our players (demar, gay, lowry, amir) to tank in the attempt to get wiggins. Or to try to get a guy like milsap and make the playoffs as lets say a 6-8th seed.
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
awesome

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 710
Representing:
Default

No, it's been 5 years since we made the playoffs. I am going to go nuts if we continue to suck for another 3-4 years. I think we have good pieces in Demar, Amir, Jonas and possibly Ross. Keep that core together and figure out if Lowry can be an actual PG, trade Gay and Bargs amnesty Kleiza and figure out what to do with Fields.
RaptorsFan4Life is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

Next year...
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,512
Representing:
Default

No, it isn't that simple to just get Wiggins.

Even if we do get rid of all our players, it doesn't mean we will finish last in the NBA. And even if we do finish last, we only have at best a 25% chance of getting top pick (assuming we don't acquire a lottery pick). And even if we do get Wiggins, there is always the chance that he ends up as a bust. Remember Greg Oden? Different situation, but it's still possible.

Way too risky in my opinion.
js12 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorsFan4Life View Post
No, it's been 5 years since we made the playoffs. I am going to go nuts if we continue to suck for another 3-4 years. I think we have good pieces in Demar, Amir, Jonas and possibly Ross. Keep that core together and figure out if Lowry can be an actual PG, trade Gay and Bargs amnesty Kleiza and figure out what to do with Fields.
See, this is the only reason I can see not to tank. But I apply the same philosophy that I do when I procrastinate. Instant pleasure or long-term pleasure/well-being. As is the case with procrastination, the latter is often the better option. IMO 6-8th is pointless...championship should always be the goal and this core can't achieve that any way you put it.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
hardly home but always reppin'

Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 124
Representing:
Default

Tanking doesn't guarantee Wiggins. Keeping the current core guarantees mediocre results.

Long way to go for us.
ejeezy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,865
Representing:
Default

I'm alright with Masai blowing it up and essentially getting rid of everyone but Jonas. The pieces we have just aren't good enough to get anywhere, and with the contracts they have, unlikely to get a really good return to make us a really good team in the future.

If we tank and dont get the 1st pick, theres still a LOT of really good players at the top of the draft board next year(Gordon, Smart, Parker, Harrison). If we want to become a really good team, that contends in the playoffs every season, the fastest route to get there with the roster as currently constructed IS to tank next year. I know thats not what people want because of the losing, but honestly, I've become numb to the losing now, so I dont mind a proper tank next year and giving all of the minutes to Jonas and Ross that they can handle, and dealing Demar and Gay and even Lowry for shorter contracts, and 1st round picks if any team would actually do that.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js12 View Post
No, it isn't that simple to just get Wiggins.

Even if we do get rid of all our players, it doesn't mean we will finish last in the NBA. And even if we do finish last, we only have at best a 25% chance of getting top pick (assuming we don't acquire a lottery pick). And even if we do get Wiggins, there is always the chance that he ends up as a bust. Remember Greg Oden? Different situation, but it's still possible.
Even without wiggins, the top 3 in next years draft have franchise player potential. The difference between Oden and wiggins is, wiggins is not a huge 7' C with knee issues. Even now, after the injuries, the blazers are better than us. Why? Because they were patient.

BDL brought up a good point, we've been losing for so long, what's 1-3 years more? At least we'll be able to have a positive outlook on the future.

Last edited by KoolAid; 05-31-2013 at 06:40 PM.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,865
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Even without wiggins, the top 3 in next years draft have franchise player potential. The difference between Oden and wiggins is, wiggins is not a huge 7' C with knee issues. Even now, after the injuries, the blazers are better than us. Why? Because they were patient.
They also had a GM who pulled off a huge heist in getting Aldridge/Roy in the same draft which started their nice run which could have been championships if not for injury. Luckily now we have a good GM who hopefully builds through the draft and is able to accumulate some 1st round picks and hopefully take players like Batum/Faried later in the draft.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,952
Representing:
Default

Kind of torn but i hate tanking and think that even if we tried to tank we wouldn't end up with Wiggins. If anything add good pieces, make some changes and trade for the #1 pick if at all possible next summer. I'm against a full rebuild even though it's tempting if done properly.

Man Wiggins in Toronto with the right "rebrand" would be huge for this city and basketball in this country.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
chillin like a gremlin

Senior Member
 
bigmandinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 749
Representing:
Default

I think we can build for the future without tanking and missing the playoffs. This means keeping our experienced core of Lowry, Rudy, Demar, Amir as well as our prospects Jonas and Ross, while also trying to make a move for one more young piece ala Thomas Robinson or the Mavs 13th pick.
bigmandinky is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
awesome

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 710
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
See, this is the only reason I can see not to tank. But I apply the same philosophy that I do when I procrastinate. Instant pleasure or long-term pleasure/well-being. As is the case with procrastination, the latter is often the better option. IMO 6-8th is pointless...championship should always be the goal and this core can't achieve that any way you put it.
The thing is, we have been rebuilding until last year. We have the young pieces. We just need to get some pieces around them.
RaptorsFan4Life is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,865
Representing:
Default

Quote:
If anything add good pieces, make some changes and trade for the #1 pick if at all possible next summer. I'm against a full rebuild even though it's tempting if done properly.
No bad or average team is going to trade their 1st round pick for the 2014 draft, unless its for someone like Jonas or a really good young player
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,952
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Don't Lie View Post
No bad or average team is going to trade their 1st round pick for the 2014 draft, unless its for someone like Jonas or a really good young player
Then forget about Wiggins, won't happen.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,792
Representing:
Default

I'm fine with that. Not so much because of Wiggins but because it looks like top 5 or even more in that draft are likely all stars. If it was just Wiggins or just a couple guys, that strategy would depend on lotto luck too much.

Also, a "blow up" in the Raptors case doesn't mean that everyone has to be traded. Trading Gay for pick/prospect or trading a couple of the other starters would probably do the trick and land the team in top 5. This team isn't that talented.
woodchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,952
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
I'm fine with that. Not so much because of Wiggins but because it looks like top 5 or even more in that draft are likely all stars. If it was just Wiggins or just a couple guys, that strategy would depend on lotto luck too much.

Also, a "blow up" in the Raptors case doesn't mean that everyone has to be traded. Trading Gay for pick/prospect or trading a couple of the other starters would probably do the trick and land the team in top 5. This team isn't that talented.
No way you can trade Gay and his 19mil contract for picks alone
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 150
Representing:
Default

Why is there not an option "Trade EVERYONE for just a chance to draft Wiggins"?

First of all we tank the season which gives us a high lottery pick (I think the worst team in the league can draft no lower than 6).

Then trade JV for an unprotected 1st rounder from a bottom feeder (Orlando/Charlotte).

Then trade Demar+2015 1st for another unprotected 1st (Phoenix/New Orleans).

Then trade Amir+T.Ross for a 1st from a team that could potentially fall into the lottery (Utah/Milwaukee).



Oh, forgot to add, after Wiggins we ONLY draft and trade for Canadian born players.
d00little is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,792
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
No way you can trade Gay and his 19mil contract for picks alone
That's just wording. Obviously, most likely you'd take on a player that kind of sucks on a short contract.

for example
Okafor+pick
Humphries+Marshon Brooks+Reggie Evans+multiple Nets picks
Ben Gordon+pick
etc
woodchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,377
Representing:
Default

I hate the idea of tanking for a guy we only have a 25% chance (if the lottery isn't rigged) to get.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,209
Representing:
Default

JV is the best C prospect in awhile. There isn't another one like him coming up next year either. Kids staying put regardless.

I agree with Thrill. Blow it up. I've completely desensitized to losing. I'd much rather watch JV play with a bunch of D League players next year. Let the kid be a beast. We'll never get anywhere with our current team (although I really do like our starting lineup).

Gimme Wiggins, Randle, Parker, Smart, Harrison, Young or GRIII. All of them would be nice pieces moving forward.

We gotta do this right.

Last edited by 10gizzle; 05-31-2013 at 07:15 PM.
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,865
Representing:
Default

Again, teams like Washington who are still a lotto team aren't going to trade their 1st round pick for anyone outside of a super talented young player like Jonas.

If you're looking to tank, you need to find a team who's close to contending that needs 1-3 more pieces to get over the top, and trade Gay for their expiring contracts. A team like the Clippers would make sense, with contracts like Butlers coming back in the deal.

I actually just went on the trade checker, and it's extremely difficult to find a team that can take on Rudys contract that would not only make sense situationally, and fit wise, but cap wise in matching contracts. Its not looking good.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24