Why are we building around the worst rebounding big in the NBA?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,287
Representing:
Default Why are we building around the worst rebounding big in the NBA?

Bargnani at PF is such a liability and presents many holes we have to shore up. He gives up so many offensive rebounds and whatever he scores he gives back on the defensive end. This team shouldn't ignore certain guys in the draft because they play the same position as Bargnani.
fk24 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,663
Representing:
Default

because he is one of the most dynamic offensive bigs in the nba.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 483
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk24 View Post
Bargnani at PF is such a liability and presents many holes we have to shore up. He gives up so many offensive rebounds and whatever he scores he gives back on the defensive end. This team shouldn't ignore certain guys in the draft because they play the same position as Bargnani.
If there was a surefire stud PF I might agree with you, but there's not. If you're going to be throwing darts at draft picks, you shouldn't throw them at guys who fill holes where you're already 3 players deep.

Bargs may not be a star, but he is a starting quality player, especially if he truly turned any sort of corner with his play at the start of last season. I see no reason he can't learn to be a Dirk level defender (devil's advocate: haven't seen much to prove he can either).

I think this year really screwed our evaluation of him, because we can't really know if the Bargs from the first 13 games can be sustained for a whole season or not. Teased us with what could be.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,287
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
If there was a surefire stud PF I might agree with you, but there's not. If you're going to be throwing darts at draft picks, you shouldn't throw them at guys who fill holes where you're already 3 players deep.

Bargs may not be a star, but he is a starting quality player, especially if he truly turned any sort of corner with his play at the start of last season. I see no reason he can't learn to be a Dirk level defender (devil's advocate: haven't seen much to prove he can either).

I think this year really screwed our evaluation of him, because we can't really know if the Bargs from the first 13 games can be sustained for a whole season or not. Teased us with what could be.
A big who starts & plays 33+ minutes and averages 5 boards a game is starting quality? Dirk averages 3+ more boards and is a good help defender.

I don't think Bargnani will be better than Sullinger.
fk24 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,784
Representing:
Default

Unless you have Dwight Howard @ C, you can't hide Bargnani. If you're averaging five boards a game playing all those minutes, the opponent is getting alot of offensive boards and getting more possessions. Let's go with Anthony Davis or Thomas Robinson.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,218
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk24 View Post
A big who starts & plays 33+ minutes and averages 5 boards a game is starting quality? Dirk averages 3+ more boards and is a good help defender.

I don't think Bargnani will be better than Sullinger.
Dirk has played in one of the fastest paced teams in the whole league over the last decade. Most of his boards have always been defensive...Not to mention that he hasn't really played with any legit C's so he gets most boards by default.

Bad comparison I think.
10gizzle is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,981
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPMAN View Post
Unless you have Dwight Howard @ C, you can't hide Bargnani. If you're averaging five boards a game playing all those minutes, the opponent is getting alot of offensive boards and getting more possessions. Let's go with Anthony Davis or Thomas Robinson.
Yes, that's right, let's go with Anthony Davis!
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 1,966
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk24 View Post
A big who starts & plays 33+ minutes and averages 5 boards a game is starting quality? Dirk averages 3+ more boards and is a good help defender.

I don't think Bargnani will be better than Sullinger.
yes.

and, dirk avg 1.3reb more than Bargs this season and Bargs played more than 10 games whilst in terrible condition. (to be fair dirk had a very sluggish start to the season.)
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
Aamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 4,324
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPMAN View Post
Unless you have Dwight Howard @ C, you can't hide Bargnani. If you're averaging five boards a game playing all those minutes, the opponent is getting alot of offensive boards and getting more possessions. Let's go with Anthony Davis or Thomas Robinson.
lol You don't think we already know that? Not that there's a chance to get him anyways..
Aamir is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Thank god someone on this board pointed this out. Bargs has never even averaged 7 boards/game. I'm sorry but your starting PF who plays 30-35 mpg needs to haul down at least 7 boards/game. I wouldn't mind sullinger. The problem is that our GM loves Bargs and despite whatever happens, he'll continue to love him and treasure him despite his inefficiencies.

He's had one good stretch of games and we're all supposed to pretend that those 5 other seasons didn't happen.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 1,966
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Thank god someone on this board pointed this out. Bargs has never even averaged 7 boards/game. I'm sorry but your starting PF who plays 30-35 mpg needs to haul down at least 7 boards/game. I wouldn't mind sullinger. The problem is that our GM loves Bargs and despite whatever happens, he'll continue to love him and treasure him despite his inefficiencies.

He's had one good stretch of games and we're all supposed to pretend that those 5 other seasons didn't happen.
but why are people so fixated on this number!? An extra 1.5rebs per game!? Also Bargs can avg well over 6 in a normal, 82 game season with no major injury problems. So by your calculation less than 1 board per game on average would make all the difference!? crazy IMO. An extra 1.5 offensive boards for the opposition? Not ideal, but not a gamechanger.

I think for most people the reb numbers always indicated a lack of effort and emphasis on that area, rather than the actual number itself. That could be put down to coaching as well. A lot of people thought he'd be too soft to adapt to casey's ways but he showed the effort most people wanted. He was a lot better in general on D even if the numbers didn't massively reflect it.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,042
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
but why are people so fixated on this number!? An extra 1.5rebs per game!? Also Bargs can avg well over 6 in a normal, 82 game season with no major injury problems.
Where's the proof? Well over 6? Wish I could agree with that.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

It's pretty clear that he spends a fair amount of time on the perimeter which absolutely opens up the court for our many mediocre offensive talents.... but let's all focus on one stat category to fuel the burn! He makes 9M and there isn't one player at his position that could shut him down offensively consistently.

Ridiculous. Go hate on Brook Lopez too.

carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 1,966
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Where's the proof? Well over 6? Wish I could agree with that.
in '09 he avg 6.2, this year he avg 5.5 in 30 odd games where in 10+ games he was in terrible shape and/or played much less mins, had a big effect on the avg. Plus there was a bit of opinion in there!

care to answer the rest of my point? improved D and effort, giving up 1.5 offensive boards not that big of a big deal? (as long as the effort on D is there.)
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,042
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
in '09 he avg 6.2, this year he avg 5.5 in 30 odd games where in 10+ games he was in terrible shape and/or played much less mins, had a big effect on the avg. Plus there was a bit of opinion in there!

care to answer the rest of my point? improved D and effort, giving up 1.5 offensive boards not that big of a big deal? (as long as the effort on D is there.)
A lot of opinion. Lol

He has never shown signs of being a consistent rebounder. And to say he could average well over 6 just doesn't hold water.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 483
Representing:
Default

The idea of replacing Bargnani with Sullinger and being a better team is so laughable I don't know where to start.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
...

Senior Member
 
powerfulpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,487
Representing:
Default

when was the last time Bargnani even played a FULL season? if hes not playing, he's not playing. i mean you can say he can do this this and this when he's healthy. well the point is he isn't, so it doesn't matter.
theres always something going on with this guy. when he's healthy hes got motivational issues. when it looks like he might be turning the corner, he gets injured. we keep holding on to him and hes gonna be past his "prime" and we'd be left asking ourselves where did all the time go?
powerfulpanda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 1,966
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
A lot of opinion. Lol

He has never shown signs of being a consistent rebounder. And to say he could average well over 6 just doesn't hold water.
come on jeff, my overall point was more subtle than that.

he HAS avg over 6 in a full season. Maybe you baulked at my use of the word well over. But my point was about another poster's obsession with numbers. He wanted at least 7 for a PF and i was saying he's obsessed with 1.5 rebs, and in the '09 case and (my opinion for next season,) less than 1 reb.

plus i talked about improved effort and better D, which is what most people wanted rather than a stat.

oh yeah, and i would like the barg haters to address why giving up 1.5 off reb is such a huge problem. (it's not ideal but isn't going to cost us games.)

and, and, Bargs giving up 1.5 reb doesn't neccesarily mean the team does, others can mae up for it.

Last edited by LKeet6; 04-30-2012 at 05:53 PM.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,287
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
The idea of replacing Bargnani with Sullinger and being a better team is so laughable I don't know where to start.
Sullinger is the anchor of the best defensive team in college basketball.

What exactly is Bargnani the anchor of?

Rebunding defense inside game Sullinger is better than Bargnani.

What is so laughable?
fk24 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
making funny and strange dark trade in his mind !!!

Senior Member
 
Bankiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,425
Representing:
Default

i always had-have mix thoughts about bargs.
one season i like him as much as shit, one i don't care, and this one i find him better than shit, but he doesn't play trough a lot.

but to me, trade him to a team who badly need a PF/C scorer (like houston) and grab as many asset as you can.


but i remenber that dallas got trough the same critic with DIRk for more than a decade. and now everybody occult the bad defense of dirk.

you dont play a system base on utopia, you play a system with what you have, and you adapt your system with what you have to win. that(s how a coach should coach.

Now if you are not satisfied with what you have, you should ask your GM to provide something else.

Casey doesn't seem to care about barg lack of defense or low number, because he think he can run his defense with him.
the problem i think is when you have to below defender at 2 such important spot than the 1 and the 4.
if you want to win, and fight to win, one of the two ned to go and make place for a better player at one of the 2 spot where you don't have what you need.

so else you trade caldy or bargs. or both and make a huge splash trade to build properly.

i poll for this solution. yes caldy is a real general, buthe can run a defense with an average defender like DD, a solid one like JJ, an futur maybe-good one with JV, and an inconstistent-modd defender like Barg.

No team had never won nothing with that.

to me dragic can run the defense as well as the offense better than caldy for this team and then make barg better. or don't make him as weak. because dragic put high pressure on other pg.
then barg will be no more the big problem on defense, because you have what you need to disrupt in backcourt.

Now barg can be a star at PF, and provide our team with more than he did the last 6 season. maybe.

we can discuss that for eterniy, since the lottery isn't here.
what do you think BC will do if we grab the 1st and get Davis. do you trade barg or not to go forward ? i do. but for now, we don't have a better PF than him. so until we find one (FA or draft) we need him to play to his best duriong at least next season, and show us how wrong we are. (yeah, i know we wait for it since 2006 !!!)

LOL !!!
Bankiz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24