Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Why I Am Sold On Bayless (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/why-i-am-sold-bayless-18525.html)

Joshz 12-16-2010 12:10 AM

Why I Am Sold On Bayless
 
Looking past his statistics, which over the last three games have been good, Jerryd Bayless plays the point in a way this team hasn't had since the Mighty Mouse days.

Bayless is relentless at attacking the rim, and he has shown the ability to make plays for others. Definitely he needs to improve on this aspect of his game, but his ability to break down his defender should in time led to easy scoring opportunities for the Raps wings (when they learn to shoot).

Additionally Bayless gets after it on defence. He is probably over aggressive guarding his man, but that should led to turnovers and fast break opportunities which this team really thrives on.

Although, what really makes me intrigued about his future is this interview after tonight's embarrassing loss.

Jerryd played well tonight, and rather than talk to the media about his personal performance he looked dejected and embarrassed, rightfully so. This guy cares about team success, and to me, he looks like he has the makings of a real keeper.

TORaptor4Ever 12-16-2010 12:18 AM

He's still lacking the court vision that Might Mouse had but he's a competitor for sure. If he can become a better creator the PG spot should be his for the future.

I just hope that he keeps that fire in his belly and keeps hating every loss.

Kirby 12-16-2010 12:26 AM

He needs to become more "point guard" and less "combo guard". He's definitely not the best floor general out there but his scoring and defense is pretty good.

bjjs 12-16-2010 12:28 AM

The best point guards in the league are always aggresive and that's what Bayless is. The decision making will come with experience, but consistantly choosing to get the ball to the rim is a good thing.

Joshz 12-16-2010 12:55 AM

His athleticism, handle, ability to change pace, and finish at the rim are all above average. His knack for getting into the paint will only create easier looks for the rest of the team in time, but he will need to trust the team will hit open shots. Often he takes the ball inside because the offense in running stagnant and no one else shows urgency.

IGetAir 12-16-2010 01:06 AM

Even though it's only a stretch of 3-4 games, I agree.
I know a lot of guys on the forum are saying that Bayless will be a solid backup but in all honesty I think he could be a legit starting PG for us. I loved him in Portland (when he played) and what he's showing now is pretty good.

Like you guys have mentioned, the court vision and play making comes with experience and at this point he really has none. This is the first time he's getting good minutes and he's producing. He's 22, and his ceiling right now in my opinion is very high.

pzabby 12-16-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGetAir (Post 479297)
Even though it's only a stretch of 3-4 games, I agree.
I know a lot of guys on the forum are saying that Bayless will be a solid backup but in all honesty I think he could be a legit starting PG for us. I loved him in Portland (when he played) and what he's showing now is pretty good.

Like you guys have mentioned, the court vision and play making comes with experience and at this point he really has none. This is the first time he's getting good minutes and he's producing. He's 22, and his ceiling right now in my opinion is very high.

+1. also, since hes playing this well, i believe it would be in the raps best intrest to draft a proper sf. trade weems plus klieza plus filler for a good shooting guard. sign a centre next year with cap space(decnt back up centre with d and size would be nice) and we can be in the playoffs easily. DD is improving and fast over th past few games. the snippets ive been able to catch has been him suprisingly scoring some shots from the deep wing base line and if needed be he took it strong and FINISHED. if BC can do all this, our team would look like this next year :
jose+bayless
(iggi or mayo or?) , Barbosa, DD
(HARRISON BARNES PLEASE), DD, wright
bargz plus Amir
Davis plus backup signed


instant playoffs :yeah:

kybar 12-16-2010 01:56 AM

If your sold on Bayless you dont know too much about Basketball. I mean the guy plays the worst D i have ever seen, pretends to put effort but i see right through it. I think he is a very selfish player for a pg and i really dislike him as a player and dont see him having any future here unless he drastically changes his mindset. When he on the court Bargs barely touches the ball, hes always looking to attack. On defence hes always getting picked and causing total problems defensively. Seriously Calderon is 10 times better.

Claudius 12-16-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kybar (Post 479303)
If your sold on Bayless you dont know too much about Basketball. I mean the guy plays the worst D i have ever seen, pretends to put effort but i see right through it. I think he is a very selfish player for a pg and i really dislike him as a player and dont see him having any future here unless he drastically changes his mindset. When he on the court Bargs barely touches the ball, hes always looking to attack. On defence hes always getting picked and causing total problems defensively. Seriously Calderon is 10 times better.

You're kidding right?

Once sequence on defence yesterday would demonstrate this 'worst d' you have ever seen out the window.

The play I'm talking about is when Rose (who's damn fast) picked up a steal. The only guy hustling down the court is bayless who cuts him off, doesn't leave his feet, follows his body and takes the charge on Deng while STILL no one is back. So there's D and EFFORT, disprove both your points on one play.

Also, while he may be selfish he's really the only legit scoring threat out there. He needs to learn how to play still. But I'll take it 10 out of 10 times.

RAPMAN 12-16-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshz (Post 479273)
Jerryd played well tonight, and rather than talk to the media about his personal performance he looked dejected and embarrassed, rightfully so. This guy cares about team success, and to me, he looks like he has the makings of a real keeper.

Great point. I was listening to the FAN 590 last night, Eric Smith pointed out last night that most players were talking about where to go and how to get there after the game. Jerryd Bayless was the only one who felt dejected about the game, and how embarassed the team played and didn't fight. He is a keeper. I guess the losing culture is slowly creeping in the locker room.

Claudius 12-16-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAPMAN (Post 479320)
Great point. I was listening to the FAN 590 last night, Eric Smith pointed out last night that most players were talking about where to go and how to get there after the game. Jerryd Bayless was the only one who felt dejected about the game, and how embarassed the team played and didn't fight. He is a keeper. I guess the losing culture is slowly creeping in the locker room.

I don't know if it's the losing culture so much so it's the general attitude of some guys on this team and that's really starting to bug me.

Joshz 12-16-2010 08:59 AM

This team is talent-deficient. On paper they should lose most games. That is a tough thing for young players - who are use to winning (in H.S./College/NBA) to live with.

One can only hope they do not accept losing as a culture, that they understand this year is about development not wins/loses and they continue to work hard on their game, and bring effort each night.

I think the organization has explained the expectations to the team. Triano is always saying "If we don't bring 100% effort we're going to lose, we just don't have the talent."

jeffb 12-16-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kybar (Post 479303)
If your sold on Bayless you dont know too much about Basketball. I mean the guy plays the worst D i have ever seen, pretends to put effort but i see right through it.

Worst D you have EVER seen? You haven't seen much D then have you? :facepalm:

There's alot worse D in the NBA then Jerryd Bayless, hell there's worse on his own team.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 12-16-2010 09:42 AM

I'm liking Jerryd's play more each day. I think with some seasoning he's going to be a very good starting PG that can play a bit off the ball. He and Barbosa seem to work pretty well together already.

Toby 12-16-2010 09:53 AM

Jerryd!!! :sigh:
Blazers aren't doing so hot no mo :facepalm:

Superjudge 12-16-2010 09:58 AM

they have been blown out, terribly, 2 of the three games he's been at the point.

So..... I guess the bar is low?

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 12-16-2010 10:18 AM

It is.

Someguy again 12-16-2010 10:27 AM

gotta learn how to lose first before you can win

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 12-16-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someguy again (Post 479354)
gotta learn how to lose first before you can win

By that logic, we're going to be REALLY good in a few years :D

fancylad 12-16-2010 11:00 AM

the whole point of this season is to see what you have with the young players and move on from there while getting a solid draft pick. that's 2010/2011 in a nutshell folks.

And Jerryd Bayless is a keeper. If people can't see the awesomeness in him, then that's too bad, but whatever. Guy is going to be a beast for years to come. Such, SUCH a great trade by Colangelo.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24