Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Where would Raps have been without Jose? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/where-would-raps-have-been-without-jose-24068.html)

MikeToronto 11-18-2012 05:04 PM

Where would Raps have been without Jose?
 
Could the people who were oh so vehemently clamoring for the trade of Jose Calderon over the summer please stand up and eat some crow? 'Cause if you ever thought for a second that John Lucas Whatever His Number is capable of running an NBA team, it should be clear to everyone by now that he is good at chucking and not much else. On the other hand, Jose (once again) is rising above the petty injustices and injuries and is leading the team to the best of his abilities.

All I want is some recognition and some contrition. And yes, him re-signing this coming off-season and retiring as a Raptor, with Ocho proudly hanging from those bare basketball rafters.

INSIDER 11-18-2012 05:10 PM

fantastic thread, fantastic point.
jose is untradeable IMO...

'trane 11-18-2012 05:11 PM

probably 2-8.

Bargn88 11-18-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 705533)
probably 2-8.

Would have lost today and the game in Indiana.

1-9

'trane 11-18-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bargn88 (Post 705535)
Would have lost today and the game in Indiana.

1-9

doubtful.

but any team that loses its best player better have a good backup if they don't want to lose games.

this is such a ridiculous thread: we should have known that our starter would get a bone bruise in the first few games, so all the people who said it might be a good idea to try to get a good wing out of jose's talent and his expiring contract are fools now that we had an unpredictable injury and are getting good use out of a previously somewhat redundant guy. come off it. that's nonsense.

MikeToronto 11-18-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 705536)
doubtful.

but any team that loses its best player better have a good backup if they don't want to lose games.

this is such a ridiculous thread: we should have known that our starter would get a bone bruise in the first few games, so all the people who said it might be a good idea to try to get a good wing out of jose's talent and his expiring contract are fools now that we had an unpredictable injury and are getting good use out of a previously somewhat redundant guy. come off it. that's nonsense.

Of course it is. On a team with no stars and few NBA-quality players, none of whom is capable of manufacturing offense out of isos, the importance of having quality backup point guard is vastly overstated. True dat.

'trane 11-18-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 705538)
Of course it is. On a team with no stars and few NBA-quality players, none of whom is capable of manufacturing offense out of isos, the importance of having quality backup point guard is vastly overstated. True dat.

not more important than a starting wing, which is what almost everyone wanted to trade jose for. nice try homeboy.

MikeToronto 11-18-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 705539)
not more important than a starting wing, which is what almost everyone wanted to trade jose for. nice try homeboy.

Yes, more important, because the drop-off in play between, say, DeRozan and Kleiza or Ross is far less than between Lowry/Calderon and Lucas or Udoh, and also because PGs are much more important to an impotent offensive team like the Raptors.

And easy with the name calling, or the mods will have to ban me again.

Blaze 11-18-2012 05:48 PM

I agree with trane, who could have predicted lowery would have got injured? The people who wanted to trade him wanted to fill something we were missing. I don't think anyone wanted to trade him because they believed he lacked talent. I for one still want to trade him if lowery comes back in good form, his stock right now is through the roof, sell-high imo.

'trane 11-18-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 705540)
Yes, more important, because the drop-off in play between, say, DeRozan and Kleiza or Ross is far less than between Lowry/Calderon and Lucas or Udoh, and also because PGs are much more important to an impotent offensive team like the Raptors.

And easy with the name calling, or the mods will have to ban me again.

most people were calling for a multi-player trade to acquire a good starting wing. clearly we are in dire need of that. clearly this is more important than a backup for our best player. i mean how many teams can you name that have their best bench player backup their best starter?

you are only making this case with hindsight and the knowledge of a lowry injury. without the lowry injury this thread has no value at all.

homeboy is an insult now?

MikeToronto 11-18-2012 05:58 PM

I was making this case all along - go back and look up the threads throughout the summer.

Homeboy is an insult to me personally. I am not a boy anymore, unfortunately, nor do I qualify as a homer in general.

Stonezz 11-18-2012 06:08 PM

^Lol, way to take the word as literal as possible, homeboy.

Jose has been good for us however without him we would still have a similar, crappy record.

LOG 11-18-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 705545)
I was making this case all along - go back and look up the threads throughout the summer.

Homeboy is an insult to me personally. I am not a boy anymore, unfortunately, nor do I qualify as a homer in general.

what exactly does homeboy have to do with homer?

LOG 11-18-2012 06:10 PM

we probably would be tanking already :lol:

halphbreedballer 11-18-2012 06:12 PM

Jose is fine on this team just not at 10+million per season!

End of thread.

LOG 11-18-2012 06:12 PM

oh and on the same note, what would raptors be without Derozan?

'trane 11-18-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 705545)
I was making this case all along - go back and look up the threads throughout the summer.

so, let me get his straight. if we had, as many people wanted, traded jose and say ed davis + something else, for gay or iguodala or some other high level 3, you think that would have been a mistake because we needed jose to weather a lowry injury. and we would be worse off now...

that seems to be the argument you are putting forward. and it is ludicrous.

ZanTheMan 11-18-2012 06:19 PM

What I don't get is people on this board want a "decent starting wing" for Calderon, and then name players like Iguodala, Gay, Deng and others. Problem is, these aren't decent players, they're All-Stars! So no way will we get one of those, stop dreaming! Their teams are winning right now so they're not going to mess with their chemistry.

We can perfectly develop a decent starting wing from our own players, heck, look at Brooklyn, their starting SF is Keith Bogans, this dude is putting up some real Tank Commander stats and they're still winning. :cookie:

So please stop wishing for that star SF that will never come via trade and let's enjoy Calderon some more, and yes I'm all for re-signing Ocho in the offseason!

MikeToronto 11-18-2012 06:19 PM

Jose and Davis for Gay? Who suggested that, a Raps fan? Or do you believe for a second that Griz were actually considering such a ludicrous deal? And who is the homer then?

I am talking to people, and quite a few of them, who wanted to get rid of Jose no matter what we were getting in return. Neither Gay nor Iggy deal were anything more than a figment of fans' imagination.

MikeToronto 11-18-2012 06:28 PM

And never mind "homeboy" as an insult. Apparently, I am not up to speed with slang. :(


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24