What is a dynamic PG?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hockey fan

Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 395
Representing:
Default What is a dynamic PG?

I see this sometimes and wonder what do people mean when they talk about "this team needs a dynamic PG? As a follow up, why isn't Jose considered a dynamic PG? I am not a huge basketball/Raptors fan. Basketball is only 3rd on my sports depth chart. So if I may seem like a bit of a newbi with this question, now you know why.
ERaz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
mirin' Gao-sthetics

Distributor of Swag
 
CommunistCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memory Lane
Posts: 811
Representing:
Default

Off the top of my head, a dynamic pg has the following combination of skills:

1) can penetrate defenses and get into the paint
2) can create for his teammates using crafty and timely passes
3) run plays and adjust a team's offensive and defensive formations to counter that of the opponent

That's about it. Easier said than done
CommunistCrunch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,133
Representing:
Default

I would say it means different things to differnt people. To me it means a PG with quicks that can penetrate, isn't too deliberate, has court vision and pushes the envelop a little, and isn't afraid to get his own offense going in the right situations, and being able to keep his man in front of him on D as well. Now not many PG have all that, but I prefer a more aggressive PG vs a passive one which is essentially what it comes down to with me.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3
 
finstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,140
Representing:
Default

Jose can't create for himself like elite PGs. To cause problems in the paint, he usually needs a screen. Dynamic PGs are not only great off the pick and roll, but also have to ability to create for others by creating for themselves through penetration.
finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I would say it means different things to differnt people. To me it means a PG with quicks that can penetrate, isn't too deliberate, has court vision and pushes the envelop a little, and isn't afraid to get his own offense going in the right situations, and being able to keep his man in front of him on D as well. Now not many PG have all that, but I prefer a more aggressive PG vs a passive one which is essentially what it comes down to with me.
Can you name me more than 10 PGs in the league who can do all of this on a regular basis? Shit, there may not be more than 5....

You're looking for an elite PG jeff.... and there's no way in the hell that we're getting one short of getting insanely lucky in the draft.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,133
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Can you name me more than 10 PGs in the league who can do all of this on a regular basis? Shit, there may not be more than 5....

You're looking for an elite PG jeff.... and there's no way in the hell that we're getting one short of getting insanely lucky in the draft.
Which is why I said not many can do all of that, and I basically said it came down to being aggressive over being passive more then antything.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

sooooooooo


then Bayless.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,387
Representing:
Default

chauncey billups
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

dynamic point guard... three criteria: non-white, other ethnicity and no degree.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I would say it means different things to differnt people. To me it means a PG with quicks that can penetrate, isn't too deliberate, has court vision and pushes the envelop a little, and isn't afraid to get his own offense going in the right situations, and being able to keep his man in front of him on D as well. Now not many PG have all that, but I prefer a more aggressive PG vs a passive one which is essentially what it comes down to with me.
If I asked you to describe Jack, I hope I wouldn't get this.... lol
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
making funny and strange dark trade in his mind !!!

Senior Member
 
Bankiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,458
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistCrunch View Post
Off the top of my head, a dynamic pg has the following combination of skills:

1) can penetrate defenses and get into the paint
2) can create for his teammates using crafty and timely passes
3) run plays and adjust a team's offensive and defensive formations to counter that of the opponent

That's about it. Easier said than done
4. Know what defend meens and do it. actually BBIQ.

yes that's about it.
i can quote 2 now can fit this : TiPi and kidd, maybe rose, wastbrook or felton. And i can see bayless can become one of those.
Bankiz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hockey fan

Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 395
Representing:
Default

Thanks! It is more clear to me now.
ERaz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERaz View Post
Thanks! It is more clear to me now.
you're very welcome. Glad I could singlehandedly help.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERaz View Post
I see this sometimes and wonder what do people mean when they talk about "this team needs a dynamic PG? As a follow up, why isn't Jose considered a dynamic PG? I am not a huge basketball/Raptors fan. Basketball is only 3rd on my sports depth chart. So if I may seem like a bit of a newbi with this question, now you know why.
Derrick Rose
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Jonas needs minutes

Senior Member
 
rapsmannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,702
Representing:
Default

two different styles, mainly both affective in there own way

you have currently

the Chris Paul, Deron Williams past first guys but can still score if the team needs it

then you got score first and can make passes guy, D Rose, John Wall, J

I prefer the healthy CP3
rapsmannn is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,380
Representing:
Default

a dynamic point guard means he's the best player on your team. So if your dynamic PG has a crummy game typically you lose badly.
Toby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Jonas needs minutes

Senior Member
 
rapsmannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,702
Representing:
Default

not sold on Bayless, like the heart and activity but not the court awareness and ability to handle the pg position, its not like he is a rookie, he is in year 3, he should at least know the basics of the PG position

I prefer to trade or draft a PG over anything,
rapsmannn is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsmannn View Post
not sold on Bayless, like the heart and activity but not the court awareness and ability to handle the pg position, its not like he is a rookie, he is in year 3, he should at least know the basics of the PG position

I prefer to trade or draft a PG over anything,
In fairness, he hasn't always played the pg position in portland, and he didn't get a load of minutes either... but he has a great oportunity to learn that here without pressure of carrying the team...
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
reborn

Real G
 
J-Roc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 173
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooch View Post
sooooooooo


then Bayless.
He needs to be better at shooting off the dribble, and at keeping his head up during his drive so he can find other options when the defence collapses.

He certainly has the tools, but we should play him more and more this season to see what he has. Otherwise we go into the draft needing to draft a PG.
J-Roc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24