We get #8, now what? - Page 8

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: What next?
Trade up- top 5 10 16.67%
Trade down 3 5.00%
Trade Out 21 35.00%
Hold onto the pick and get best player available 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #141 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Representing:
Default

If Harrison Barnes falls to #6, trade the #8 + Ed (dangle Amir or James Johnson first but don't think they'd go for it) to Portland and take Barnes. There's no way Barnes gets past Golden State and Portland would be able to take Damian Lillard at #8, since they desperately need a PG, and hang on to their #11 to select a guy like Tyler Zeller.

If BC wants to redo the team, trade JC + DD + Amir to Houston for Kyle Lowry + Kevin Martin. Then trade the #8 pick + JJ to Philadelphia for Iguodala. This would eat all of our cap space but we'd still have the MLE to play with.

Lineup would look like

Lowry/Bayless/FA(Uzoh?)
Martin/FA(Foye?)/Bayless
Iggy/FA(CJ Miles/Delfino?)/Kleiza
Bargs/Ed/Kleiza
JV/Gray/Magloire

Would be giving up a lot of the young talent but we get 2 defensive stoppers on the perimeter who can both handle the ball running the offense and playing pick and roll with AB/JV. Martin can be injury prone but hes a guy who's going to get you 18 ppg a night (and can get his own shot). Also, Iggy guards the other teams best wing so Martin's defensive liabilities aren't such a red flag anymore. Granted this hinges entirely on JV being a solid defensive presence, but I think this team competes very well in the east.
cyzix is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #142 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,729
Representing:
Default

Turrible I think best case scenario is 8# for Lowry and #14
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #143 (permalink)
get well DeRozan

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,392
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
you're really gonna weigh the significance of a 2nd round pick similarly to a first rounder?
I love how you're basing this all on hindsight, and even unfairly at that. DD, ED, AB, JV are all great picks considering the picks that we got them at. At the time of each pick, each was considered a steal for the position we were slotted at except maybe for Bargs, but don't you dare say we could have gotten Aldridge or Rondo because no gm in the right mind would have picked either given out situation.

Why do I even bother? You want Ilyasova at sf lol.
I never said I wanted Ily at SF lol,another poster mentioned him...I just agree that it can work

I think you're right,I like the 1st rounders that BC has drafted so maybe a C is stiff but I graded it that way based on how its worked out thus far seeing how TO hasn't made the playoffs with any of those core draft picks together yet.

Bargs is one of the best players from that draft,I don't knock taking him and it didn't make sense to take Aldridge with Bosh already at the 4. I do believe if TO selected Roy however,his career may have panned out differently and he wouldn't have been ran into the ground like he was by a cursed Portland franchise.

Last edited by MBailey85; 06-01-2012 at 03:52 AM.
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #144 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,776
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

The more I look at Jeremy Lamb, the more I want him on this team. Has long arms so he can shoot over long defenders, nice stroke.
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #145 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,729
Representing:
Default

Certainly. And Demar at SF is not that bad, while pairing him with good shooters is definitely good.
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #146 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyzix View Post
If Harrison Barnes falls to #6, trade the #8 + Ed (dangle Amir or James Johnson first but don't think they'd go for it) to Portland and take Barnes. There's no way Barnes gets past Golden State and Portland would be able to take Damian Lillard at #8, since they desperately need a PG, and hang on to their #11 to select a guy like Tyler Zeller.

If BC wants to redo the team, trade JC + DD + Amir to Houston for Kyle Lowry + Kevin Martin. Then trade the #8 pick + JJ to Philadelphia for Iguodala. This would eat all of our cap space but we'd still have the MLE to play with.

Lineup would look like

Lowry/Bayless/FA(Uzoh?)
Martin/FA(Foye?)/Bayless
Iggy/FA(CJ Miles/Delfino?)/Kleiza
Bargs/Ed/Kleiza
JV/Gray/Magloire

Would be giving up a lot of the young talent but we get 2 defensive stoppers on the perimeter who can both handle the ball running the offense and playing pick and roll with AB/JV. Martin can be injury prone but hes a guy who's going to get you 18 ppg a night (and can get his own shot). Also, Iggy guards the other teams best wing so Martin's defensive liabilities aren't such a red flag anymore. Granted this hinges entirely on JV being a solid defensive presence, but I think this team competes very well in the east.
Trading for Portland's #6 pick is not a bad idea at all.

Portland is unlikely to draft a SF, so they might be willing to do a draft and trade with Toronto for the #8 pick if MKG, Barnes or PJ3 are available.

If only one of those three is available when GSW picks at 7, I think they'll take whoever is left and leave the Raptors without a good option for drafting a SF at 8. It will be guards and bigs at the 8 spot if MKG, Barnes and PJ3 are all selected before 8.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #147 (permalink)
a Raps fan

Senior Member
 
creative1mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,408
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Lowry/Bayless/FA(Uzoh?)
Martin/FA(Foye?)/Bayless
Iggy/FA(CJ Miles/Delfino?)/Kleiza
Bargs/Ed/Kleiza
JV/Gray/Magloire
I don't like Martin, I would rather keep DD
creative1mm is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #148 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty.py View Post
Certainly. And Demar at SF is not that bad, while pairing him with good shooters is definitely good.
I like Lamb as well. However, DD at SF?????????? He can't play SF full time, he's not only 1-dimensional, but he's also one dimensional on offence.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #149 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
I like Lamb as well. However, DD at SF?????????? He can't play SF full time, he's not only 1-dimensional, but he's also one dimensional on offence.
Even if we drafted Lamb or Beal or any SG, DD doesn't have to be moved to SF fulltime. He can play minutes at both spots.... I don't understand why some people seem to think there are only 5 starting spots and then some spot minute guys on the bench. It's a matchups league, and there are often small and big lineups that can utilize a wide variety of player types.

Sure DD can't play there full-time but he's been played there before if only for short runs.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #150 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,878
Representing:
Default

Who says beal or whoever else we draft will be starting?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #151 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Who says beal or whoever else we draft will be starting?
Exactly.... I'm just saying that it can be a very fluid situation... I just don't understand why it's such a given that DD is locked in at SG all game, every game.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #152 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,715
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Exactly.... I'm just saying that it can be a very fluid situation... I just don't understand why it's such a given that DD is locked in at SG all game, every game.
Heck, based on 82games' position allocation, he played a 5th of his minutes at SF last year.
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #153 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

DD can't play SF (at least full time) due to the matter that he's more 1-dimensional than Bargs. Also, I'd hope that our pick starts (or at least is able to on this team lacking talent) - if not, there is a serious problem.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #154 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,878
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
DD can't play SF (at least full time) due to the matter that he's more 1-dimensional than Bargs. Also, I'd hope that our pick starts (or at least is able to on this team lacking talent) - if not, there is a serious problem.

We have way more of a problem if our draft pick is a starter next season imo. We seriously need an upgrade for the starting SF position. If we have a rookie starting at the 2 or 3 we're fucked!
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #155 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
We have way more of a problem if our draft pick is a starter next season imo. We seriously need an upgrade for the starting SF position. If we have a rookie starting at the 2 or 3 we're fucked!
I wouldn't mind an upgrade at PG or SG either. I think there is at least something at PF/C.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #156 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,868
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
We have way more of a problem if our draft pick is a starter next season imo. We seriously need an upgrade for the starting SF position. If we have a rookie starting at the 2 or 3 we're fucked!
'fucked' is a strong word though I agree with your premise regarding the SF, this team does not need a rookie starting the 3. I don't mind drafting someone like Lamb as long as we can trade for a solid starter.

However, I don't mind drafting Barnes but then IMO the team would really need to upgrade the 2.

At the end of the day, if the team cannot trade for a player(s) that are upgrades the team might have to play a rookie. Not the the best case scenario but not the end of the world.

Personally, I think we're going to trade the pick and get our SF.
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #157 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,651
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
We have way more of a problem if our draft pick is a starter next season imo. We seriously need an upgrade for the starting SF position. If we have a rookie starting at the 2 or 3 we're fucked!
why, you were hoping to compete for a title next season?
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #158 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
why, you were hoping to compete for a title next season?
well said
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #159 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,878
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
why, you were hoping to compete for a title next season?
The Tank stops here
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24