Are we any better?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,932
Representing:
Raptors Are we any better?

Do these changes make us a playoff team this season? Now, i do believe there is a sizeable move to come, christ i hope so. But if there is nothing more than depth players added and our starting 5 consists of Lowry/Derozan/Fields/Bargs/Gray we won't be a playoff team imo (i predict 9-10th).


in: Lowry, Valanciunas, Fields, Ross, Acy, Gray (re-signed)

out: Johnson, Bayless, Alabi, Forbes

thoughts?

Last edited by jeffb; 07-16-2012 at 01:24 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Psi
Only likes Hockey with 'Fantasy' infront of it

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,865
Representing:
Default

May as well add Calderon to that list, then it actually gets a little closer, but In > Out still.
At least, IMO.
Psi is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,932
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
May as well add Calderon to that list, then it actually gets a little closer, but In > Out still.
At least, IMO.
i still contend that unless we add a bonified SF we're on the outside looking in.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
On T-Ross Flight 31

Senior Member
 
Ataf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Catharines
Posts: 1,726
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataf
Default

Wha about JV D:
Ataf is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,932
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataf View Post
Wha about JV D:
as you posted that i added him. lol
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Now that we've added Gray we should be better.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,932
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Now that we've added Gray we should be better.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,373
Representing:
Default

They are going in the right direction. I'm a big fan of filling the roster with two-way players, and they've made nice progress there. They still need to make a fairly big move, but there's no need to rush that. It's more important that they get it right.

I think Kleiza could be much improved in a faster, less static, and more cohesive offense. I'd love to see him facilitating more instead of waiting on the outside for a shot or going to the post-up repoirtoir.

Will they make the playoffs? Maybe. It's more important to me to just get a better sense yet of where further changes are necessary, and then look at a fairly big move or two.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,923
Representing:
Default

We have a shot at making the playoffs if...

- DeRozan can miraculously turn into a consistent 20+ PPG player.
- Bargnani can stay healthy and consistent
- Lowry can run the team effectively
- If everyone buys into the defensive system & knows their role.
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Do these changes make us a playoff team this season? Now, i do believe there is a sizeable move to come, christ i hope so. But if there is nothing more than depth players added and our starting 5 consists of Lowry/Derozan/Fields/Bargs/Gray we won't be a playoff team imo (i predict 9-10th).


in: Lowry, Valanciunas, Fields, Ross, Acy, Gray (re-signed)

out: Johnson, Bayless, Alabi, Forbes

thoughts?
best player here is Lowry... so the team is better. good enough to miss the playoffs by a smaller margin
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,015
Representing:
Default

Quote:
I'd love to see him facilitating more instead of waiting on the outside for a shot or going to the post-up repoirtoir.
What do you mean by facilitating? Handling the ball? Because I think he's best as a spot up player who can either catch and shoot, or shot fake when a defender runs at him and take it all the way to the rim. I dont think he's good enough to have a role beyond that in our offence, besides transition buckets.

I don't think we're a playoff team as of now with this roster unless we either a) become even better defensively and rebounding than last year with near same production from DRoz/Lowry/Bargnani, or B) Derozan has a breakout type season, and Val is NBA ready and starting 15-20 games in, plus being the same or better with rebounding and defence.

I think with a starting caliber SF this team is definitely in the 6-8 range, and possibly higher with Iguodala and the improvement of Derozan plus the additions we made.

We're on the right track, but we still need to fill in the glaring hole at the 3, and then get rid of either Amir or Kleiza because we cant have one or both sitting on the bench making what they're making with the years they have left. One needs to go before the season starts
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,932
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
What do you mean by facilitating? Handling the ball? Because I think he's best as a spot up player who can either catch and shoot, or shot fake when a defender runs at him and take it all the way to the rim. I dont think he's good enough to have a role beyond that in our offence, besides transition buckets.

I don't think we're a playoff team as of now with this roster unless we either a) become even better defensively and rebounding than last year with near same production from DRoz/Lowry/Bargnani, or B) Derozan has a breakout type season, and Val is NBA ready and starting 15-20 games in, plus being the same or better with rebounding and defence.

I think with a starting caliber SF this team is definitely in the 6-8 range, and possibly higher with Iguodala and the improvement of Derozan plus the additions we made.

We're on the right track, but we still need to fill in the glaring hole at the 3, and then get rid of either Amir or Kleiza because we cant have one or both sitting on the bench making what they're making with the years they have left. One needs to go before the season starts
I really don't see us getting that SF this summer (ie: Iguodala). I just don't think we have anything they'd want other than Val, Derozan. So unless we do a 3 team deal or something wacky i don't see it happening.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
We have a shot at making the playoffs if...

- DeRozan can miraculously turn into a consistent 20+ PPG player.
- Bargnani can stay healthy and consistent
- Lowry can run the team effectively
- If everyone buys into the defensive system & knows their role.
Can't say I disagree Don. I simply think it's another year of sucking however as I am afraid JV isn't really as much of a ringer as the media is saying he is, Derozan, who knows, and Lowry...well to me he's a lateral move at his position as he has his own faults too.

Maybe they are better as far as potential goes..but thats it. Truly, a lot hinges on Bargnani.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,787
Representing:
Default

Are you fricken kidding me?
With Bargs healthy last year maybe we would have been 9-10th. We just added Ross, Valanciunas, Fields, Lowry and you're really gonna stick us at 9 behind crap teams like Orlando, Philly, NYK?
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,932
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
and Lowry...well to me he's a lateral move at his position
Your Calderon love knows no bounds.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
making funny and strange dark trade in his mind !!!

Senior Member
 
Bankiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,421
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
We have a shot at making the playoffs if...

1. DeRozan can miraculously turn into a consistent 20+ PPG player.
2. Bargnani can stay healthy and consistent
3 Lowry can run the team effectively
4 If everyone buys into the defensive system & knows their role.
1. it's not DD's numbers but his consistency which are important, and the effort to attack the rim too.
2. every season barg miss at least 10-15 games in the season. we need a pf whom can take his place and compensate during his health absences.
3. same as for barg. lowry is good but he is a injury prone. so if Caldy isn't here anymore, we will need a solid pg as our backup.
4. i think the player the bring here this season are all for the same pot : versatile, defensive, attack mode, hustle and rebound.


if this team stay like she is, we would not improve much. but i also think this last season we could be a 8-9th team if barg was not injure.
so we have a better pg (maybe), and for now we have a better backup sg with ross (than forbes), we have too similar player - in fields - out JJ.
i would have prefer to amnesty kleiza than trade JJ. BUT for evident reason kleiza as more his place in this roster than JJ. double fields/JJ seems unnecessary.
and the upcoming of JV will give us something we din't have the past season.

if our note had been c- i would say, for now we are at b.

Playoffs i don't know, it will be very difficult with the current roster.
maybe a SF can improve and put this team on the right track, but we need some luck right now.
Bankiz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,015
Representing:
Default

Quote:
and Lowry...well to me he's a lateral move at his position
This is one thing I'm looking forward to next season. Lowry killing any doubt that he's a much better player than Jose because that discussion is fucking nonsense. Lowry is going to be considered a top 10 PG by game 5 of the regular season, and will become one of the most overrated PGs in the league after we open up the season because fans wont be used to seeing high level consistent PG play like what haes going to provide.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,932
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Are you fricken kidding me?
With Bargs healthy last year maybe we would have been 9-10th. We just added Ross, Valanciunas, Fields, Lowry and you're really gonna stick us at 9 behind crap teams like Orlando, Philly, NYK?
Orlando will be shit in all likleyhood, but the NYK and 76ers are better than us if not much else is done.

Here are the teams imo that will be better than us:

Miami
Brooklyn
Indiana
Chicago
Boston
New York
Washington
Philadelphia

Next tier (will challenge for 7-8th) Toronto (as is), Milwaukee, Atlanta, Orlando
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

youre an idiot.

If you think Lowry is flawless than you're an idiot, period. The difference between he and Jose, as far as immediate impact equating to wins is pretty negligible. It isn't like replacing Gray with Howard dude.

Therefor it won't really mean instant success. If this is a hard concept, then really, you need to watch a more simple sport. Like..... er...shopping.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Exalted

Senior Member
 
DDUnreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,347
Representing:
Default

We're obv better.
DDUnreal is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24