Vince Carter....HOFer! - Page 9
Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #161 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,493
Representing:
Default

Vince had no pain threshold and no ability to play through pain. that's pretty much a given.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #162 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,757
Representing:
Default

He didn't fake injuries, but he didn't do the work to prevent injuries, and stayed out for longer than seemed necessary, during which he trashed the coach while sitting in with broadcast announcers.

It comes down to this - he is not a great team guy as far as fighting tooth and nail and has been a tremendous underachiever throughout his career. I don't mind welcoming him back with a fist bump and a yawn. Forgiving is always good. There is no need for special honors.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #163 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,360
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuCa00795 View Post
We should hate Bosh more then we hate Vince, the organization got rid of Vince to build the team, then Bosh just walked lol.
He walked... at the end of his contract... after he played his ass off for us.

We're supposed to hate him more than a guy who up and QUIT on the team and forced a trade before his contract was done? The guy who was dancing on stage at a Nelly concert when he was supposed to be "injured" while his team was getting brutalized on a road trip? Yeah... what a great guy.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #164 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,377
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuCa00795 View Post
It's called selective memory lol, believe me this board has tons of it.
People remember when Vince trolled the media for asking him about dunking(when he said he wasn't going to anymore),but forget that he dunked in the very next game lol(and more times after before he was traded). VC made some mistakes,so did the Raps that's the bottom line. One thing I'll say to his credit,he's never been a douche when talking about the City of TO or Canada publicly after leaving,unlike Bosh(who didn't even leave on bad terms with the fanbase and organization).
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #165 (permalink)
back

Senior Member
 
DuCa00795's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Maratimes
Posts: 3,119
Representing:
Default

Do you really blame him for being on stage with Nelly? If Drake called you up currently and said hey, come make an appearance at my concert, if you were injured or not you would be like fuck yeah...and go there. Bosh was being sketchy that whole season. Wouldn't tell the team what was on his mind, so they really had not idea what to do. They could have worked something out. We were not that bad when he was here, If I recall we won the atlantic division, and Toronto was being notice around the league.
DuCa00795 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #166 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,567
Representing:
Default

i suppose i should say he faked the severity of injuries rather than the existence of injuries, but he took things that were tiny and went down and out like he had been shot. and he did it regularly.

it doesn't make me forget the glory days and how good it was, it disappoints me greatly that the glory disappeared because he had no balls. i've never seen a guy go down so often for so little, and he's amongst the all-time leaders in mailing it in for a huge cheque. and this is mostly because of pouty-ness that his team was no good, even though he is known to have campaigned for the contracts of davis, alvin and jyd, that ended up cap-crippling us.

i don't boo him, and i don't follow him, but i definitely don't ever want to see him a raptor again, let alone an hof'er.

wince.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #167 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
DonMughal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 4,117
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Watching this VC documentary, goddamn is Rob Babcock ever a hard-headed dude. He refuses to consider the fact that he might've been wrong in the way he handled the Vince situation.
Maybe for the sake of his career. Doesn't want to admit he made a horrible deal to still look confident in his decisions.
DonMughal is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #168 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,334
Representing:
Default

vince Carter going down like being shot in the head after every minor foul was definitely very memorable. One of the funniest moments in basketball

he had lebron level talent with Bargnani level intensity. But he was one my favourite guys to watch, he was so spectacular, and not just the dunks. He was a great all around player and for a few years, he was a superstar and not many were doubting him. I may be wrong, but I think he was the first "the next jordan" for a few years, before kobe and others got that moniker.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #169 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,334
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMughal View Post
Maybe for the sake of his career. Doesn't want to admit he made a horrible deal to still look confident in his decisions.
which career?
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:02 AM   #170 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
DonMughal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 4,117
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
which career?
GM/Executive
DonMughal is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 AM   #171 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
DonMughal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 4,117
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
vince Carter going down like being shot in the head after every minor foul was definitely very memorable. One of the funniest moments in basketball

he had lebron level talent with Bargnani level intensity. But he was one my favourite guys to watch, he was so spectacular, and not just the dunks. He was a great all around player and for a few years, he was a superstar and not many were doubting him. I may be wrong, but I think he was the first "the next jordan" for a few years, before kobe and others got that moniker.
Yeah I remember that. He had an MJ type body, with MJ type skills who could dunk better than LeBron. He didn't obviously have that Bargnani level intensity until he missed that shot in Philly. During the great years, there was definitely a fire lit under him. I remember a lot of comparisons between him and MJ in the media, it was crazy. More than Kobe, like you said. I have no doubt he would've had a better career than Kobe and would've been the second best SG ever after MJ if he didn't lose that edge he once had.
DonMughal is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #172 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,334
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
I don't think you quite remember Vince's final years.
And btw, I think I remember that season very well, we started very good out of the gate, think we may have won in detroit or indiana in the first few games and then went on the west road trip where we lost some close games and then vince started playing really odd, to the point where chuck and jack (think it was jack, that part I don't recall) were starting to insinuate things.

I think at the time the theory is that he was very pissed with the organization who was clearly in cost savings mode. That year we hired a rookie GM and a rookie HC (for the 2nd year in a row) and there was a very negative vibe around the team - there was talk about rebuilding and what not.

And take a look at our roster that season (pulled it from BR):

Rafer Alston
Rafael Araujo
Matt Bonner
Chris Bosh
Vince Carter
Omar Cook
Donyell Marshall
Jerome Moiso
Lamond Murray
Milt Palacio
Morris Peterson
Jalen Rose
Pape Sow
Aaron Williams
Eric Williams
Loren Woods

a sophomore in Bosh, a washed up jalen, a competent role player in mo-pete and major scrubs. That's not a bad team, that's pathetic. After vince left, Bosh really blossomed and we got some good production from bonner and marshall, you know, just enough so we missed on the top 6 spots the next draft. Who needs Dwight Howard when you can have Charlie Villanueva
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 AM   #173 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,334
Representing:
Default

obviously the williams pair came in the trade, not that it makes any difference
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:40 AM   #174 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,360
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuCa00795 View Post
Do you really blame him for being on stage with Nelly? If Drake called you up currently and said hey, come make an appearance at my concert, if you were injured or not you would be like fuck yeah...and go there. Bosh was being sketchy that whole season. Wouldn't tell the team what was on his mind, so they really had not idea what to do. They could have worked something out. We were not that bad when he was here, If I recall we won the atlantic division, and Toronto was being notice around the league.
Please tell me you're not serious.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #175 (permalink)
@ www.raptorman.ca

RF Affiliate

 
Raptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,133
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Raptorman
Default

Sorry. That 30 min propaganda did nothing to change my opinion of the guy.

Three things I noticed at that time but has never really been investigated.

1- Most of VCs injuries started after he got his Nike Shox shoes.

2- Lenny Wilkins had him playing 35 plus minutes a game...even in blowouts and preseason.

3- Wilkins always ran the same play. Give it to VC. Get out of his way. BUT the illegal defence rules were gone and VC was always fighting through 3 guys.

Why is Wilkins never brought up when people talk about the degradation of VC?
Raptorman is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #176 (permalink)
back

Senior Member
 
DuCa00795's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Maratimes
Posts: 3,119
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Please tell me you're not serious.
I believe that's a pretty reasonable statement, Just using Drake because he is the current Nelly I suppose, but literally insert your favorite artist in the sentence.
DuCa00795 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #177 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,902
Representing:
Default

Any links to the re-imagination of vince Carter that aired on SN?
Stonezz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #178 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,920
Representing:
Default

After watching that Grange piece...

I've been there. Been a season-ticket holder and a rabid fan throughout VC's stay in Toronto. I had all the right to be angry at the time, especially with the information we were fed by the media (who else), especially the piece that wasn't mentioned in this program, the one where VC admitted to a reporter that he was dogging it in TO.

But, strangely, I didn't feel that anger. I felt sadness and nostalgia, but not anger. I hated seeing Peddie and Babcock, that's for sure, but Glen, Vince and Alvin elicited pretty much the same range of emotions - sadness and nostalgia. I realize that this narrative could be as much propaganda as what we were fed back then, but I trust Michael Grange much more than anyone else who's ever written about the Raptors locally, so I choose to believe his perspective. Sue me, eh?

I am ready to embrace Vince Carter again. Bring him in on a vet minimum contract, let him teach the youngsters and retire a Raptor, as he should, Hall of Fame or not.
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #179 (permalink)
back

Senior Member
 
DuCa00795's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Maratimes
Posts: 3,119
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
After watching that Grange piece...

I've been there. Been a season-ticket holder and a rabid fan throughout VC's stay in Toronto. I had all the right to be angry at the time, especially with the information we were fed by the media (who else), especially the piece that wasn't mentioned in this program, the one where VC admitted to a reporter that he was dogging it in TO.

But, strangely, I didn't feel that anger. I felt sadness and nostalgia, but not anger. I hated seeing Peddie and Babcock, that's for sure, but Glen, Vince and Alvin elicited pretty much the same range of emotions - sadness and nostalgia. I realize that this narrative could be as much propaganda as what we were fed back then, but I trust Michael Grange much more than anyone else who's ever written about the Raptors locally, so I choose to believe his perspective. Sue me, eh?

I am ready to embrace Vince Carter again. Bring him in on a vet minimum contract, let him teach the youngsters and retire a Raptor, as he should, Hall of Fame or not.
I agree 100%.

Not only did this guy play his heart out while he was here (maybe lost some ambition near the end), he put Toronto on the map. He is most memories of basketball for most of us when we were young.

A lot of fan who most like hate vince, would applaud a player not trying 100% in this day and age because they would want us to tank. Funny out fanbase.

Come home Vince.
DuCa00795 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #180 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,165
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuCa00795 View Post
I agree 100%.

Not only did this guy play his heart out while he was here (maybe lost some ambition near the end), he put Toronto on the map. He is most memories of basketball for most of us when we were young.

A lot of fan who most like hate vince, would applaud a player not trying 100% in this day and age because they would want us to tank. Funny out fanbase.

Come home Vince.
I think you may be confused about what tanking fans would want.

Quitting on your team is unforgiveable. I don't care about Vince anymore - I wouldn't bother to boo him. But I sure as heck have zero interest in him coming back.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24