Valanciunas projected to be the 5th best Rookie
Old 08-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,017
Representing:
Raptors Valanciunas projected to be the 5th best Rookie

Quote:
Pinnacle Sports, which I find is usually pretty bang-on with odds, has Toronto listed as the 28th most likely (262.78-1) to win the 2013 NBA championship, ahead of only Sacramento (291.88-1) and Charlotte (582.54-1).

Again, I understand that these odds are based upon people actually betting on certain teams to win championships (it boggles my mind that people actually bet on teams like the Raps at all, even if itís just $1), but the point is, according to the betting public and predetermined odds, the Raptors are expected to be around the 26th-28th best team in the NBA next season, or should I say the third to fifth-worst team in the league.

A much better indication of general expectations outside of the fan-base will come when the over/under on team win totals come out some time later in the off-season. As Iíve written recently, I think a fair prediction for the Raptors would be in and around the 35-win mark, which generally puts a team around 20th in the league standings.

Quote:
For what itís worth, Jonas Valanciunas is currently listed as the fifth-most likely Rookie of the Year winner with 12-1 odds, behind only Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bradley Beal and Harrison Barnes. Terrence Ross has the 19th-best odds at 30-1.

2013 NBA Odds Not Kind To Raptors | RaptorBlog | Blogs | theScore.com
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Psi
Only likes Hockey with 'Fantasy' infront of it

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,873
Representing:
Default

He's top 3 easy.
Maybe top 2.
Kinda assume that's just an american shit show there.
Psi is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,017
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
He's top 3 easy.
Maybe top 2.
Kinda assume that's just an american shit show there.
Not really, 3-5 range is realistic. Plus, he's a 20yr old Center from europe who may take some time to get acclimated to the NBA and living in NA. Fifth isn't a huge insult or anything.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canadia
Posts: 626
Representing:
Default

definitely not a huge insult, i expect him to finish somewhere in between the three to five range. the insult is us being listed as the 28th best team in the NBA. people really betting on some crappy teams ahead of us. yikes.
Luckedout is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,973
Representing:
Default

there are two insults there. us being 28, and ross being 19th. that means people think that 18 rookies will be better than ross?? if ross gets close to 20+ min/game, he'll be in the rookie all star game, u heard it here first fellas
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,017
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckedout View Post
definitely not a huge insult, i expect him to finish somewhere in between the three to five range. the insult is us being listed as the 28th best team in the NBA. people really betting on some crappy teams ahead of us. yikes.
We weren't anywhere near 28th best last year with our best scorer missing more than half the season. I wish we were 28th last season. We would be taking a major step back for us to be 28th. Not only that they say we'll be in the 35 win range which is more like 23rd(ish), whivh again has us getting no better which is unlikely. If we don't stay relatively healthy 35 wins isn't far fetched. But if we stay healthy we should be around .500 and be in the playoff race imo.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
from Toronto

Raps-on-Fire
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 241
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
We weren't anywhere near 28th best last year with our best scorer missing more than half the season. I wish we were 28th last season. We would be taking a major step back for us to be 28th. Not only that they say we'll be in the 35 win range which is more like 23rd(ish), whivh again has us getting no better which is unlikely. If we don't stay relatively healthy 35 wins isn't far fetched. But if we stay healthy we should be around .500 and be in the playoff race imo.
Whoever marked our team's ranking at 28th might have considered that:

Bayless,Uzoh,Forbes,JJ,Alabi,Magloire > Lowry,JL3,Ross,Fields,Acy,Valanciunas

I do not know why our team's expected standing has dropped from 8th bottom to 3rd bottom, but I believe our team is looking better than last year for sure.

I see Bulls,Magic,Hawks,Pistons falling below us and Wizards stepping up in front of us for next season. That will make us 8th seed
wchoi213 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,518
Representing:
Default

Terrence Ross has the 19th best pick at being Rookie Of The Year? And he was the 8th pick?

Damn, pretty harsh.
Dark Knight is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

whatever, he's a raw athletic C, those guys don't win rookie of the year simply because they don't have any real skills to work with in the beginning, and a lot of ROYs are good because their skills are well developed, which usually means they're playing at near their peak since year 1, which isn't always good if that peak isn't really that high

besides, who cares about the ROY if the guy is picked for the future and the goal is the championship
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

ya never know though Admiral, he may actually surprise us...who knows. I think lamb is gonna win. Have a hunch.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
saying Go Bucks, Raptors, 49ers, Reds and Blue Jackets!

Senior Member
 
RaptorsandBuckeye FaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,853
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
whatever, he's a raw athletic C, those guys don't win rookie of the year simply because they don't have any real skills to work with in the beginning, and a lot of ROYs are good because their skills are well developed, which usually means they're playing at near their peak since year 1, which isn't always good if that peak isn't really that high

besides, who cares about the ROY if the guy is picked for the future and the goal is the championship
Well said. This is not projecting the best players in the future, only for their first season. I don't expect Jonas Val to be ROY this year. I do expect him to be one of the better players from this rookie class 5 years down the road though!

Last edited by RaptorsandBuckeye FaN; 08-13-2012 at 07:09 PM.
RaptorsandBuckeye FaN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
ya never know though Admiral, he may actually surprise us...who knows. I think lamb is gonna win. Have a hunch.
i'm not saying he can't surprise, but a 5th best rookie projection isn't an unrealistic projection either
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

nope, I'm cool with it.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchoi213 View Post
Whoever marked our team's ranking at 28th might have considered that:

Bayless,Uzoh,Forbes,JJ,Alabi,Magloire > Lowry,JL3,Ross,Fields,Acy,Valanciunas

I do not know why our team's expected standing has dropped from 8th bottom to 3rd bottom, but I believe our team is looking better than last year for sure.

I see Bulls,Magic,Hawks,Pistons falling below us and Wizards stepping up in front of us for next season. That will make us 8th seed
I'm confused how you say we look better than last year but you say the players last year are greater than the players this year, i'm hopinh thats just a typo

derrick rose or not, the bulls are still better than us
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,723
Representing:
Default

Some good odds for Team Canada here, this is Alexander Hayne's year;

Magic The Gathering Betting Odds at Pinnacle Sports | Magic*World Cup 2012*Betting Odds | MGT World Cup Betting & Magic World Cup Lines

I can't find the rookie odds - but 12:1 for Jonas is pretty generous considering he's mostly going to be running his patterns and passing the ball to Lowry/Bargnani & Derozan. ROY is about opportunity to put up stats.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Ya, I agree, thats why I kinda like Lamb...he looks like a Zombie shooter...
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,723
Representing:
Default

If I had any I would bet money on MKG just because of how bad his team is. MJ is going to push him to put up a lot of shots.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,518
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Ya, I agree, thats why I kinda like Lamb...he looks like a Zombie shooter...
Lillard's my dark horse. They like to give that award to PG's and he'll have lots of playing time in Portland.
Dark Knight is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,723
Representing:
Default

http://sports.bovada.lv/sports-betti...ayer-props.jsp

20:1 SJ - make a bet
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Landing flight 31

Senior Member
 
0nekhmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 3,218
Representing:
Default

Ross and Val for CO-ROY
0nekhmer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24