Valanciunas compared to Chris Bosh - Page 4
Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #61 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Lord..... the Mavs just won the NBA title with a big man who's ALL offense and very little defense. Sound familiar?

Difference is... the Mavs realized that they had to surround him with strong defensive players to cover his weaknesses... not give him a bunch of no-defense-playing jumpshooters and a C who'd rather play the SG spot.

Whatever though.
You totally missed the point..... because we're saying the same thing, only you're talking about a hypothetical scenario of Bosh being a centerpiece and I'm talking about an actual scenario of what this Raptors team needs.

Whatever though.

Last edited by carp; 08-25-2011 at 09:21 AM.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #62 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme123 View Post
i dont think he was overrated as a raptor because he was generally out of the nba spotlight and nba fans outside of toronto essentially based their opinion him on his numbers (which were good) and not necessarily his style of play, etc (due to ignorance and not knowing much about the player from the CANADIAN team). therefore people saw him as simply the bench all-star player that he is (although he has gotten voted as a starter while being a raptor right?)

anyways..I will say he has turned into an 0verrated player since joining the heat.....he recieved a lot of hype and unneccesary/unrealistic expectations when being labelled as a part of the big three, when he isnt even in the same league as the other two superstars on the team...Because of the "big three" tag, the nba fans that had limited knowledge of him probably expected him to perform in the same way and showcase the same talent as the other two....in that sense he has been extremely overrated (which is ONE of the reasons why hes developed a large hate audience....ppl just hate players who are overrated and don't succeed in playing as expected, especially in that spotlight)

His style of play with the Heat hasnt been much different than what he demonstrated as a raptor...i do believe to an extent his numbers were a little bit inflated as a raptor. The 18/9 stats he averaged with the heat are more reflective of his skills and talent level, and i dont think he will become much better of a player than he is now unfortunately for his fanbase..
Just out of curiosity, did you watch the Eastern Conference Finals? Bosh pretty much shredded the Bulls (one of the best defensive teams in the league with solid front court defenders) at will when he was given the ball. He was a big reason why the Heat dispatched them in 5 games.

Add in the games against the Lakers during the season and the ones against the Spurs and I don't see how he was "overrated" at all. When he got the rock he produced... and did so at very efficient clip.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
You totally missed the point..... because we're saying the same thing, only you're talking about a hypothetical scenario of Bosh being a centerpiece and I'm talking about an actual scenario of what this Raptors team needs.

Whatever though.
So this team DOESN'T need an all-star PF who's good for 20 & 10 every night and nearly automatic from the FT line?

News to me. This team won less than 30 games last season. We need ANY kind of star that we can possibly get.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #64 (permalink)
...

Senior Member
 
powerfulpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,470
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
So this team DOESN'T need an all-star PF who's good for 20 & 10 every night and nearly automatic from the FT line?

News to me. This team won less than 30 games last season. We need ANY kind of star that we can possibly get.
yup, we DON"T need it. because we'd be back to a mediocre 8th, 7th seed playoff team bounced in the first round every year.
w/e tho, ur still missing the point. of course we could use an all star PF who's good for 20/10 every night, but if that player is Bosh we don't NEED it
powerfulpanda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #65 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfulpanda View Post
yup, we DON"T need it. because we'd be back to a mediocre 8th, 7th seed playoff team bounced in the first round every year.
w/e tho, ur still missing the point. of course we could use an all star PF who's good for 20/10 every night, but if that player is Bosh we don't NEED it
And you're missing the point as well.

If and when this team gets another star the REST of the team needs to built properly around him.

If you're just going to leave the guy out on island again and expect him to carry the the team for 82 games then we WILL be fringe playoff team again & again.

Results like those have little to do with Bosh himself. Many, MANY stars have failed to make the playoffs or flamed out in the first round when there hasn't been much else for opposing teams to focus on.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #66 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
So this team DOESN'T need an all-star PF who's good for 20 & 10 every night and nearly automatic from the FT line?

News to me. This team won less than 30 games last season. We need ANY kind of star that we can possibly get.
Really? Come on man, you're really not getting it? If we had 16M to hand out, you really think adding a PF like Bosh is the most efficient way to go about it? Seriously, did you not watch the last 8 years of Raptors basketball?

Would he help, sure.... would it be something to really improve us or would we then need to trade away Ed Davis for what we actually needed? You're responding as if you want to answer your own question.... we're not even discussing the same thing.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #67 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
And you're missing the point as well.

If and when this team gets another star the REST of the team needs to built properly around him.

If you're just going to leave the guy out on island again and expect him to carry the the team for 82 games then we WILL be fringe playoff team again & again.

Results like those have little to do with Bosh himself. Many, MANY stars have failed to make the playoffs or flamed out in the first round when there hasn't been much else for opposing teams to focus on.
We're missing the point because you joined in with an underlying motive.... we were discussing how best to add to this team, not how best to build around bosh. Bosh is gone, let's move on.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #68 (permalink)
not Drake, that's for sure

Kleiza's agent
 
Zalgiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,121
Representing:
Default

Since you started talking about Miami Heat forward, former Raptor, C. Bosh, then lets talk about other Miami Heat forward, still a Canadian - Joel Anthony. Never thought of trading someone unuseful like Linas Kleiza to Joel Anthony? Heck, they might even add LeBron, couse he and Joel have combined FG % equal to Kleiza's. Raptors would get an All Star and fellow Canadian, while Lithuania could finally enjoy NBA champ. Sounds fair to me.

But seriously, Valanciunas does look a lot like Bosh, only less skilled, yet, but way more ambicious. And Valanciunas also have a winner's mentality, what Bosh never had and probably never will (I don't think Miaimi is a perma stop for him )
Zalgiris is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #69 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum
 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 13,266
Representing:
Default

If he has a similar skillset then giddyup. It's all good if the similarities show up on the court, but hopefully that's where the similarities end.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #70 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

From what I've seen, they're not that similar.... JV seems more like a traditional big, where Bosh plays much smaller. If JV becomes the quality of player Bosh is without the ego and overhyped franchise hoopla then we'll be in good situation, but hopefully they are very different in skillset.

+1 :cookie:
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #71 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

It's not that we don't need a player like bosh, it would be great to get one, but not now, in a couple of years. Not having a star allows us to het players like jv, Davis and whoever we draft next season. Give these players a little time to mature, and then try to get a star in free agency.

Bosh might not be a centerpiece, but he's a tremendous player and you'd have to be really stocked up in the frontcourt not to want it.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #72 (permalink)
chucking wood like a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 724
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žalgiris View Post
Since you started talking about Miami Heat forward, former Raptor, C. Bosh, then lets talk about other Miami Heat forward, still a Canadian - Joel Anthony. Never thought of trading someone unuseful like Linas Kleiza to Joel Anthony? Heck, they might even add LeBron, couse he and Joel have combined FG % equal to Kleiza's. Raptors would get an All Star and fellow Canadian, while Lithuania could finally enjoy NBA champ. Sounds fair to me.
Man, were you drunk?
That 'looked' like sarcasm, but sarcasm always has a hidden point and I couldn't find one there.

Btw, Anthony isn't that horrible. He's a limited specialty player with considerable downsides. But he knows what he is (a very good mobile defender who's excellent at switches and can help against any position) and he does his thing well.
And Kleiza isn't all that great. You don't really want him as a starter either. Well, he's good enough for Toronto, but he'd be much better off in a Jeff Green role.
ValanciunasFanboy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #73 (permalink)
streets ahead.

Senior Member
 
SomeDPlease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,771
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
We're missing the point because you joined in with an underlying motive.... we were discussing how best to add to this team, not how best to build around bosh. Bosh is gone, let's move on.
+1
SomeDPlease is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #74 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDPlease View Post
+1
Oh - I suppose you don't like Bosh or something.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #75 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Oh - I suppose you don't like Bosh or something.
I think he's a terrific running mate though it's not about liking Bosh.... he's never going to be a raptor again, so why discuss adding him?
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #76 (permalink)
streets ahead.

Senior Member
 
SomeDPlease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,771
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Oh - I suppose you don't like Bosh or something.
Whatever you say big boy.
SomeDPlease is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #77 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDPlease View Post
Whatever you say big boy.
Oh for the love of Maavis, just move on.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #78 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I think he's a terrific running mate though it's not about liking Bosh.... he's never going to be a raptor again, so why discuss adding him?
I wasn't the one that offered the +1. But I do wholeheartedly agree.

Whoops. Moving on now. I'm even moving on about moving on.

Beat that.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #79 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
I wasn't the one that offered the +1. But I do wholeheartedly agree.

Whoops. Moving on now. I'm even moving on about moving on.

Beat that.
That's what she said!

carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #80 (permalink)
streets ahead.

Senior Member
 
SomeDPlease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,771
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
I wasn't the one that offered the +1. But I do wholeheartedly agree.

Whoops. Moving on now. I'm even moving on about moving on.

Beat that.
+1
SomeDPlease is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24