Ukic Gets Taste of Life as a Raptor
Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 12,770
Representing:
Default Ukic Gets Taste of Life as a Raptor

I'm looking forward to the competition for the Jose's old role as back-up between Roko and Will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe & Mail
Early in the second quarter of the men's quarter-final basketball game between Spain and Croatia on Wednesday, a scene played out that is sure to be duplicated this coming NBA season on the Toronto Raptors' practice court.

There was Toronto's starting point guard, Jose Calderon of Spain, at the top of the key. Playing defence against him was Roko Ukic of Croatia, the Raptors' new backup point guard, set to join the team from the European professional ranks next month.

Calderon dribbled left, pulled up and sank a three-point shot over Ukic, one of several easy baskets for the world champions, who dispatched Croatia 72-59 to move into a semi-final game against Lithuania on Thursday. The United States will play Argentina in the other semi.

Call it Ukic's first in-house lesson. It came from a teacher with whom he has a history.

Croatia's Roko-Leni Ukic looks dejected at the end of the men's Olympic quarterfinal loss to Spain. (AFP/Getty Images)

Welcome to the Raptors, rook.
Source - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,232
Representing:
Default

For a 6"5 PG, he didnt really take advantage of his height and strength vs Jose, hopefully he can improve on that. If you are a physical PG, you usually have success vs Jose.
Ugo Ferst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member, Eh?
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,598
Representing:
Default

Thanks for posting that article. I can't wait to see how he does in the NBA. He's going into the season with the right attitude, judging by his comments. I've been eager for Roko to come to the NBA since last season. As many others expressed, as long as he keeps the ship floating while Calderon is resting, this season will be successful.
Major is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugo Ferst View Post
For a 6"5 PG, he didnt really take advantage of his height and strength vs Jose, hopefully he can improve on that. If you are a physical PG, you usually have success vs Jose.

You know, Calderon is a top five PG iin the NBA. I'm not sure taking shots at a rookie for not being able to contain him, when he only dropped 10 points, is really al that fair. Honestly.

Guys on this board will go ape shit if the US media say anything less than complimentary about Jose during the season and tos out 25 different stats that show how good he is, and they aren't wrong for doing so. I would hope the same guys would cut the Rook a little slack for not shutting him down completely.

What do ya say Ugo... a little slack for our young gun??
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,068
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
You know, Calderon is a top five PG iin the NBA. I'm not sure taking shots at a rookie for not being able to contain him, when he only dropped 10 points, is really al that fair. Honestly.

Guys on this board will go ape shit if the US media say anything less than complimentary about Jose during the season and tos out 25 different stats that show how good he is, and they aren't wrong for doing so. I would hope the same guys would cut the Rook a little slack for not shutting him down completely.

What do ya say Ugo... a little slack for our young gun??
Exactly! Especially considering his slender frame and his less than physical style of play.

All he needs to do is come in, work hard, learn from Jose as much as he can and outplay Solomon for 12-15 minutes per game. That, and not turn the ball over much while making good decisions directing the team when he is playing point.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22,015
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Exactly! Especially considering his slender frame and his less than physical style of play.
All he needs to do is come in, work hard, learn from Jose as much as he can and outplay Solomon for 12-15 minutes per game. That, and not turn the ball over much while making good decisions directing the team when he is playing point.
If he can become a little heavier over the summer it might give him some advantages to back down opposing PG's, by having a height advantage
Gurk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

He's not that type of a player. Youtube him, watch him in the Olympics, watch him anywhere but he's NOT a physical player on offence. Christ!

Plus, if he was to get heavier it would change his entire game and basically force him to relearn his natural position. He uses his size defensively and his long arms to his advantage. He should reminds people of a Shaun Livingston lite type of player in terms of his build up and a controlled Jason Williams on offence.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate
 
Adequate Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 522
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
He's not that type of a player. Youtube him, watch him in the Olympics, watch him anywhere but he's NOT a physical player on offence. Christ!

Plus, if he was to get heavier it would change his entire game and basically force him to relearn his natural position. He uses his size defensively and his long arms to his advantage. He should reminds people of a Shaun Livingston lite type of player in terms of his build up and a controlled Jason Williams on offence.
That is a legitimately baffling phrase.

I have no idea what to expect now.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,068
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adequate Swag View Post
That is a legitimately baffling phrase.

I have no idea what to expect now.
Yeah, like "military intelligence", one of those oxymorons we keep hearing about.

Anywho, Roko Ukic won't in all likelyhood ever become a physical presence at either end of the floor, nor should he strive to become one. He IS more of a Jason Williams or Livingston than he is a Payton, Billups or Baron Davis.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,248
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Yeah, like "military intelligence", one of those oxymorons we keep hearing about.

Anywho, Roko Ukic won't in all likelyhood ever become a physical presence at either end of the floor, nor should he strive to become one. He IS more of a Jason Williams or Livingston than he is a Payton, Billups or Baron Davis.

ding, ding, ding

best word in the english language.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turkoglu gives the Wizards a taste of their own medicine Ligeia Toronto Raptors 27 12-07-2009 12:58 PM
Taste of the Danforth zachus Entertainment Lounge 42 08-08-2009 11:03 PM
Is the Bosh injury an audition about raptor life without CB4 raptor123 Toronto Raptors 20 02-08-2009 06:03 PM
I Hate Life jumplvlan23 Entertainment Lounge 24 10-29-2008 01:14 AM
Hollinger: Last night was a taste of why Toronto could be so dangerous Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 4 01-25-2008 01:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24