Two high usage wings are struggling to play together - Page 4
Old 11-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #61 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 8,840
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
His athletic abilities have always been overrated. He's much closer to a young Paul Pierce than he is to a young Vince Carter. There is still room for improvement, as he continues to get stronger. That is where most of his overall improvement has come from, not from being an athletic freak.
I agree with that, but he still has very superior length and leaping abilities for his position. He's tall enough to be a SF really. And he has elite leaping abilities, but he lacks quickness (you can see the difference when both him and ross are on the court, TR is a blur compared with demar). His block stats show a complete disinterest in providing that kind of help defense. And the fact that he never had that in his game, proves it's not something related to coaching.

I also agree with the other post about his bbiq, highly subjective of course, but I always get the feeling our starters are not very smart basketball players. From shot selection to lack of assists and overall dumb decisions at times, if they do have bbiq, I don't think it shows on the court much ...
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #62 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,531
Representing:
Default

If OKC didn't have Westbrook, or they didn't have Durant, Harden would have been starting.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #63 (permalink)
LX
Less is more. More or less. But mostly less. Or should that be more?

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 26,558
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I agree with that, but he still has very superior length and leaping abilities for his position. He's tall enough to be a SF really. And he has elite leaping abilities, but he lacks quickness (you can see the difference when both him and ross are on the court, TR is a blur compared with demar). His block stats show a complete disinterest in providing that kind of help defense. And the fact that he never had that in his game, proves it's not something related to coaching.

I also agree with the other post about his bbiq, highly subjective of course, but I always get the feeling our starters are not very smart basketball players. From shot selection to lack of assists and overall dumb decisions at times, if they do have bbiq, I don't think it shows on the court much ...
His help defense is something that has been coming along under Casey. It was lacking previously. But I still think you're over-estimating his leaping ability in order to suggest he is disinterested.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #64 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,776
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I agree with that, but he still has very superior length and leaping abilities for his position. He's tall enough to be a SF really. And he has elite leaping abilities, but he lacks quickness (you can see the difference when both him and ross are on the court, TR is a blur compared with demar)....
I agree with your observation regarding his lack of quickness. Just because you have superior leaping abilities does not translate to lateral quickness. In the 2009 NBA Draft Combine Results, Derozan scored pretty high on all the vertical jump results, but scored very poorly in lane agility:

2009 NBA Draft Combine: Athleticism Test Results | NBADraft.net

You can get by with lack of quickness with defensive positioning, IQ, awareness, but I think Derozan future will be guarding SF.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #65 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,476
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPMAN View Post
I agree with your observation regarding his lack of quickness. Just because you have superior leaping abilities does not translate to lateral quickness. In the 2009 NBA Draft Combine Results, Derozan scored pretty high on all the vertical jump results, but scored very poorly in lane agility:

2009 NBA Draft Combine: Athleticism Test Results | NBADraft.net

You can get by with lack of quickness with defensive positioning, IQ, awareness, but I think Derozan future will be guarding SF.
He does lack that quickness, and you're right, can make up for it with strength and toughness, but is he really big enough to guard the bigger, more explosive threes regularly? Serious question, I just don't see him matching up well with some because he's not a great defender in general. Asking someone like Kahwi to do so is very different than asking someone that doesn't have elite defensive effort regularly.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #66 (permalink)
I'm going to take my talents to South Beach

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,226
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
He does lack that quickness, and you're right, can make up for it with strength and toughness, but is he really big enough to guard the bigger, more explosive threes regularly? Serious question, I just don't see him matching up well with some because he's not a great defender in general. Asking someone like Kahwi to do so is very different than asking someone that doesn't have elite defensive effort regularly.
In terms of quickness he isn't quick enough, it's either you have it or not. You can't really improve quickness, but you can work on strength.
Ross has better chances to become a better defender, he needs to get stronger though.
Tommy C is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #67 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 8,840
Representing:
Default

you can be a great defender without quickness though. Long arms are probably the best tool a wing defender has, along with strength. In the end, it's really being smart, lots of good defenders just get by with smarts, even a guy like fields who is probably our best defender still, you wouldn't think it just by looking at his physical attributes.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #68 (permalink)
sick of the freaking rock

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,080
Representing:
Default

The player on our roster that Masai is watching most closely is Ross. I think the team needs to assess if Ross really is the real deal and Casey will be giving him a larger role as the season moves on, and if Masai is convinced about Ross, it gives him the leeway to move Derozan as the centre-piece in a deal for a potential #1 PG who could slide into the job if he decides to move Lowry on, instead of waiting for Lowry's UFA. The last of our trio to move would be Gay. Moving the other 2 fit's better in a roster re-make.

This may be part of the reason Ross is getting minutes from Fields.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24