Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   TSN.ca: Coach of the Year? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/tsn-ca-coach-year-1290.html)

Dr. J. Naismith 03-17-2008 11:16 AM

TSN.ca: Coach of the Year?
 
So, are all eyes once again on Mitchell? :confused2:

I tend to agree with everything Tim had to say. Below is only a little bit of his entire article on TSN.ca.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Chisholm
I stand by that assessment, and I will amend it to say that I also believe that he deserves a chance to dig himself out of the hole that he has placed himself in this season.

Because make no mistake, this is Sam Mitchell's hole.

When a team faces-off against the Golden State Warriors and looks shocked to see a running-gunning-cutting-passing team, that falls on the preparation of the coach. When the same looks of shock-and-awe meet a similar team two nights later, that falls on the adjustments made by the coach. When a team loses one player, as good as he is, and completely falls apart on both ends of the floor, that falls on the system the coach has implemented.

Mitchell can (and does) blame the players all he wants, but his Raptors have become a purely reactive team because he coaches them that way. This is not a team that walks into a game knowing who they are and how they're going to beat their opponent, they're a team that looks to interrupt what their opponent does and hope that they fall apart like the Raptors do in similar circumstances. They never impose their will on their opponents, but rather try and counter every move their opponent makes against them, tacitly admitting that they can't conceive of a plan to beat them in advance and giving all the psychological power that implies to the opponent.

Right now, the Raptors are in dire need of support. They need a far better offensive system. They need a completely new defensive system. They need an infusion of players who can perform the tasks (defense and rebounding) that this current crop cannot. It's support that must ultimately come from Colangelo, either by endorsing the system he has now, or by supplying the aid the team needs this summer.

Source - Click here

ClingRap 03-17-2008 11:45 AM

that was a great read. i especially enjoyed his placing of some of the responsibility on colangelo. the blinders of big collars and fine wines have seemed to have left this guy out of the limelight of blame.
preperation has always been shite for this team. they react too much. i totally was screaming at the television screen when mitchell opted to go small. he always justifies it by saying that he was trying to "go with what the other team is doing". its like he's playing into their hands and he doesn't even know it.
also, this "back-to-basics" bullshit. you have guys on your roster that have been playing competitive basketball for most of their natural lives, and for some good fuckin coaches. if you have to go back to basics then either you've got some guys with low-IQs, or you don't know what else to do and there's nothing nuanced about your approach...you're incapable of improvising.

Belsius 03-17-2008 11:54 AM

wow, thats some tough article on us. And he is pretty right too.

'trane 03-17-2008 12:02 PM

That article is dead on.

Acie 03-17-2008 12:13 PM

Mitchell is starting to remind me a bit of Lenny.

fancylad 03-17-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACIEEARL40 (Post 18868)
Mitchell is starting to remind me a bit of Lenny.

kinda.

It's weird though, you see him at games and he's going crazy, and is all animated. so you think He should be somewhat of a drill sargeant.

But then you see how "prepared" the team is when the games start and how "scouting" is done....

It doesn't add up.

Ball Don't Lie 03-17-2008 12:22 PM

I ragged on Tim for picking Memphis to make the playoffs in his preseason chat, but this article was beautiful. +12 for the chismeister.,

Acie 03-17-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fancylad (Post 18870)
kinda.

It's weird though, you see him at games and he's going crazy, and is all animated. so you think He should be somewhat of a drill sargeant.

But then you see how "prepared" the team is when the games start and how "scouting" is done....

It doesn't add up.

Lenny only ran one play - iso for Vince.

Lenny expected his players to know what to do. I think Sam expects them to know how to react to certain situations too.

lang 03-17-2008 01:15 PM

If you've guys been following my blogging since the start of this site (even though I hardly blog anymore), you'll know I've never been a big Sam Mitchell fan. Never have been, and probably never will be.

Everything Tim said about Sam, I say about Sam.... EVERY.... DAY (to steal a bit from Nacho Libre). Loved the article.

Dr. J. Naismith 03-17-2008 01:22 PM

So, with Tim also pointing fingers at BC does anyone think BC blows up this team this summer with the exception of keeping a few key pieces? I don't think adding one player per se is going to turn this around. I think we need a couple more pieces while ridding ourselves of a number of current members. Or, do we look for a new head coach? Something isn't working here. :(

What do you guys think? :confused2:

Acie 03-17-2008 01:28 PM

I think after tonight the team wins four of their next five and the critics quiet down a bit. ;)

INSIDER 03-17-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith (Post 18896)
So, with Tim also pointing fingers at BC does anyone think BC blows up this team this summer with the exception of keeping a few key pieces? I don't think adding one player per se is going to turn this around. I think we need a couple more pieces while ridding ourselves of a number of current members. Or, do we look for a new head coach? Something isn't working here. :(

What do you guys think? :confused2:

i can almost 100% guarantee that TJ is gone in the summer.
although we wont get close to what he's worth and willhave to take back a stale contract or 2 in return, theres no way we re-sign jose and deal with this 2pg mess again.

the easier thing to do would be a sign-and-trade for jose... cause we'd get so much more in return... but with the way tj's been playing as of late, bc doesnt want him running the floor.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 03-17-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith (Post 18896)
So, with Tim also pointing fingers at BC does anyone think BC blows up this team this summer with the exception of keeping a few key pieces? I don't think adding one player per se is going to turn this around. I think we need a couple more pieces while ridding ourselves of a number of current members. Or, do we look for a new head coach? Something isn't working here. :(

What do you guys think? :confused2:

I think people are over-reacting... we haven't had a healthy team with Chris Bosh playing at his best all year...not for any games. Bargnani has struggled huge..the list goes on. I dont' think a blowup is necessary... I think a decision on the point guard situation has to be made and presumably that will free up some cash to get a nice 3. We'll have a draft pick again and Martin's (at least) spot to fill on the roster.

I think the criticism against Sam is a bit steep...he's not as bad as he's being painted, but improvment is necessary. We haven't lost these last games just because Bosh is out, but if you add that to the TJ stuff, other guys struggling including Jose the team is just generally in a mess right now.

Losing streaks make it easy to start pushing the panic button but i dont' think you'll see that happen with Colangelo, so there's not much point in panicking ourselves.

INSIDER 03-17-2008 01:37 PM

miami is in desperate need of a pg...
you wanna bet bc offers jose and our first pick (18 - or higher), for miami's number 1 and number 2.

Dr. J. Naismith 03-17-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACIEEARL40 (Post 18897)
I think after tonight the team wins four of their next five and the critics quiet down a bit. ;)

How about maybe only one of the next 4? Cleveland, Denver and Detroit I can only assume will be losses and if we lose to Miami on Wednesday night with no Wade or Marion then we deserve to be moved to the NBDL ASAP. :(

INSIDER 03-17-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith (Post 18903)
How about maybe only one of the next 4? Cleveland, Denver and Detroit I can only assume will be losses and if we lose to Miami on Wednesday night with no Wade or Marion then we deserve to be moved to the NBDL ASAP. :(

if we lose that game.... i will shave my head.

The MVP of West Hollywood 03-17-2008 01:51 PM

You know, up to this point I always somewhat supported Sam... He's not an elite coach, but we always played hard and disciplined and seemed to be doing well for a team that doesn't have the guns to contend yet.

But the last couple weeks have been plain awful and my opinion of him has gone down. I said this before, but I place just as much blame in the TJ fiasco on Sam for not benching him and giving him a verbal whooping as soon as he started jacking it up in the Orlando game, as I do on TJ for doing it. TJ is still a professional, if he got killed I'm sure he would've smartened up. The guy has immense talent, we just need a coach to get him disciplined and start using it. TJ has has been completley unleashed the last couple weeks, he's not even listening to anything Sam is saying.

The minute distribution he's given to Calderon and Bargs has been awful... if Calderon's the starter, he should be starting the 4th every game, let alone playing in it at all. PERIOD. Bargs needs his 25 minutes a game to develop, and if he starts out slow, let him keep going and get out of it in the 2nd half... he's been doing that lately but last night Sam forgot.

And yeah, his reactionary system is terrible. As much as we like our pipe dream of "We can beat Orlando! Yeah!", the biggest reason it won't happen if we get the chance is because Stan Van Gundy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mitchell.

I mean he got bitchslapped by Frank Lawrence. Van Gundy would be scary.

Acie 03-17-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! (Post 18900)
I think people are over-reacting... we haven't had a healthy team with Chris Bosh playing at his best all year...not for any games. Bargnani has struggled huge..the list goes on. I dont' think a blowup is necessary... I think a decision on the point guard situation has to be made and presumably that will free up some cash to get a nice 3. We'll have a draft pick again and Martin's (at least) spot to fill on the roster.

I think the criticism against Sam is a bit steep...he's not as bad as he's being painted, but improvment is necessary. We haven't lost these last games just because Bosh is out, but if you add that to the TJ stuff, other guys struggling including Jose the team is just generally in a mess right now.

Losing streaks make it easy to start pushing the panic button but i dont' think you'll see that happen with Colangelo, so there's not much point in panicking ourselves.


:top marks:

Krazy Ivan 03-17-2008 02:04 PM

I liked this part...

Quote:

All year this has been the team that heats a guy up only to stop feeding him. This has been the team that gets Jamario Moon countless long jumpers and Jason Kapono none. This has been the team that has seen a significant drop-off in the play of T.J. Ford and Andrea Bargnani from a year ago. This has been the team that plays into the hands on an injury-ravaged Indiana Pacers team by going small rather than pound them with size they can't match. This has been the team that has seen a notable drop in all areas of their game and it's happening at just about the worst time of the season.
I agree there is lot of blame to go on Sam... but what happened to Bargnani and what the fuck is wrong with Jose... it's like he gave up on the team... he looks lost more now then he did in his first year...

Raptorman 03-17-2008 02:31 PM

Like I've said many times before, I watch the games and know pretty much what is going to happen next....as I am sure many of you people can.

Maybe thats why Ford always looks out of sync? He isnt standing in the little circle Smitch assigned him to. And the players are confused as what to do with the creativity.

Our defense is easy to beat and our offense is stale and predictable.

Thats all on the coach.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24