Triano to be Canada's next HC? Nash as GM? - Page 2
Old 03-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,068
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Plus, he has had back issues and only the wizards that are the Phoenix trainers have been able to keep him healthy. So taking the off-season off might have been pretty important to him at that point.
Indeed.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,816
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
IMHO - because he's paid his dues and now feels that his obligations to his employer are more important. Considering how "good" the teams have been since 2004, I agree with him.
Its not the team, its called patriotism. When your country calls, you play for country. Argentina has failed miserably the last World Cup, how would Argentina react if Messi rejected to play for his country. Germany wasn't a contender, that didn't stop Dirk after a grueling NBA championship season to play for his country last summer. Garbosa broke his leg and required surgery and the Raps ordered him to rest for the season, he played for Spain. "Paid his dues"- Mario Lemieuz played for Canada all those years. He overcame cancer and led Team Canada to win Olyimpic gold in 2002. It called Patroitism-devotion for one's country. Some people have more of it than others.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,816
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Plus, he has had back issues and only the wizards that are the Phoenix trainers have been able to keep him healthy. So taking the off-season off might have been pretty important to him at that point.
No where do you ever mention the word "Canada." You know where his loyalty lies.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

Patriotism is fucking lame.

I'd play for my national team just for the sport of whooping on the other countries, mostly the us, and is has nothing to do with Patriotism...
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPMAN View Post
Its not the team, its called patriotism. When your country calls, you play for country. Argentina has failed miserably the last World Cup, how would Argentina react if Messi rejected to play for his country. Germany wasn't a contender, that didn't stop Dirk after a grueling NBA championship season to play for his country last summer. Garbosa broke his leg and required surgery and the Raps ordered him to rest for the season, he played for Spain. "Paid his dues"- Mario Lemieuz played for Canada all those years. He overcame cancer and led Team Canada to win Olyimpic gold in 2002. It called Patroitism-devotion for one's country. Some people have more of it than others.
Whoa, whoa, I'm sorry, but unless you are one of the few brave people who sign up to fight for this country, you might want to slow down with the patriotism rant. Heck, I'm not in the armed forces, but I sure as heck am not going to go around criticizing people for representing their country (no matter how they do it), but not for long enough to satisfy me.

And of course I mentioned Phoenix, and not Canada, since I was talking specifically about the Phoenix trainers and Nash's back troubles.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,816
Representing:
Default

Patroitism? Then what do you call these international players after a grueling season in the NBA want to play for their country. Tell Calderon or the Gasol brothers to take the summer off, and let Spain go without them. Hey Messi, you had a great season with Barcelona, Argentina sucked big time in the last World Cup, who cares about qualifying for the next World Cup., you "paid your dues"

Last edited by RAPMAN; 03-09-2012 at 02:33 PM.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

patriotism is almost as bad as religion for generating false associations and breeding fear, contempt, hatred and exclusionary thinking. good on anyone who chooses to reject it.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,816
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
patriotism is almost as bad as religion for generating false associations and breeding fear, contempt, hatred and exclusionary thinking. good on anyone who chooses to reject it.
Yeah, let's cancel the Olympics and the World Cup forever. Representing and playing for your country generates false association and breeds fear, contempt, hatred and exclusionary thinking.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,068
Representing:
Default

Rapman - you are absolutely entitled to your views on what constitutes "sports patriotism". Please, note DanH's point about the difference between taking up arms in defence of your country and kicking the ball or shooting it through the hoop while wearing certain jersey.

From Nash's standpoint, he has paid his dues. As for the examples you provide, I'd take Marc Cuban's position and explicitly prohibit professional players' participation in amateur sports while under contract. This way those whose patriotic feelings dictate their involvement will have an option of not being paid by someone who has no ties to their cause while they pursue it. Fair and square.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

@ rapman - that's a strange conclusion to draw.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24