Treading Our way to the Trade Deadline. Part 2 - Page 3

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Masai's patience on making trades?
Yes, We need to look for the best trade possible even if it puts us in No mans land 33 58.93%
NO, he is taking way too long to assess the situation, he needs to blow this up now! 10 17.86%
NO! It is obvious we should make trades ASAP to give us a push for the Playoffs! 2 3.57%
I have exams/work to do and don't give a crap. Go with the Flow 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #41 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,600
Representing:
Default

Right now I just wish we'd choose a side, we're winning meaningless games. Masai talks a big game saying we won't end up in No Man's Land but he hasn't gotten us outta there yet.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #42 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,756
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Right now I just wish we'd choose a side, we're winning meaningless games. Masai talks a big game saying we won't end up in No Man's Land but he hasn't gotten us outta there yet.
You mean after a couple months he hasn't solved all our problems, damn he needs to fired.....and pronto.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #43 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
You mean after a couple months he hasn't solved all our problems, damn he needs to fired.....and pronto.
Yes that's exactly what I meant jeff, great reading between the lines

/s


My point is that we need to make some moves to pick a direction for the team and if not for Masai's insisting on the "wait and see" approach, we wouldn't be so behind in the tank rank.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #44 (permalink)
Rompeprop

Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 111
Representing:
Default

I think there is a 2 ways right now in Masai head
1. Winning the Atlantic division and 4th conference spot, then try to go to the 2nd round.
2. Drafting Lowry and DeRozan, for picks , scrubs, expirings or whatever to secure bottom 3-4 spot in the east, probably around 5 worst in the whole league.
Rompeprop is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #45 (permalink)
straight ballin'

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 8,134
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompeprop View Post
I think there is a 2 ways right now in Masai head
1. Winning the Atlantic division and 4th conference spot, then try to go to the 2nd round.
2. Drafting Lowry and DeRozan, for picks , scrubs, expirings or whatever to secure bottom 3-4 spot in the east, probably around 5 worst in the whole league.
never
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #46 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,756
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Yes that's exactly what I meant jeff, great reading between the lines

/s


My point is that we need to make some moves to pick a direction for the team and if not for Masai's insisting on the "wait and see" approach, we wouldn't be so behind in the tank rank.
Tank rank? You still think Ujiri wants to tank...really?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #47 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Tank rank? You still think Ujiri wants to tank...really?
If he's a smart GM he will see that this team is not worth building around and if we make it to the playoffs it will be because the East is atrocious from 4-8, rather than us being good. Think about this: the east is the worst it's been for a long time, and we're still an 8th seed. There's no point in making the playoffs with this squad and if you're outta the playoffs you want the highest pick possible.

We have decent pieces but we need a franchise player, which we won't get if we don't have a top 5 pick.

If Masai can build a team that can legitimately be considered a contender either now or in the future without tanking, I'd be all for it. But that's not possible with what we have.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #48 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,756
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
If he's a smart GM he will see that this team is not worth building around and if we make it to the playoffs it will be because the East is atrocious from 4-8, rather than us being good. Think about this: the east is the worst it's been for a long time, and we're still an 8th seed. There's no point in making the playoffs with this squad and if you're outta the playoffs you want the highest pick possible.

We have decent pieces but we need a franchise player, which we won't get if we don't have a top 5 pick.

If Masai can build a team that can legitimately be considered a contender either now or in the future without tanking, I'd be all for it. But that's not possible with what we have.
He's smarter then us here. So I'll wait and see........

"if he was a smart GM". smh
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #49 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
He's smarter then us here. So I'll wait and see........

"if he was a smart GM". smh
There is nothing to be gained by waiting. No matter which side he picks, rebuild or playoffs, the team is falling behind in that strategy. If he wants to make the playoffs even though its a waste of a season, he needs to make deal to improve the team soon. Sane goes for if he wants to tank.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #50 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,229
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
There is nothing to be gained by waiting. No matter which side he picks, rebuild or playoffs, the team is falling behind in that strategy. If he wants to make the playoffs even though its a waste of a season, he needs to make deal to improve the team soon. Sane goes for if he wants to tank.
sometimes there's no alternative. I'm sure he's trying, but he clearly stated shedding assets in a fire sale is not an option. I agree with that approach, losing all our assets just to get wiggins would not be all that smart - you'd have a huge issue surrounding him with talent.

I'm as impatient as you are, trust me ...
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #51 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
There is nothing to be gained by waiting. No matter which side he picks, rebuild or playoffs, the team is falling behind in that strategy. If he wants to make the playoffs even though its a waste of a season, he needs to make deal to improve the team soon. Sane goes for if he wants to tank.
This is not the case. I would argue that the recent success (post trade)of the Raptors as a team and the recent play of KL will certainly increase his trade value. People notice when you beat the 2 teams with the nba's best home records. To clarify, I'm not stating the success will continue just the fact that waiting to make a deal rather than moving him immediately after the Gay trade has paid dividends, so I don't understand the impatience.

just sit back and watch
greenestar is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #52 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,046
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
There is nothing to be gained by waiting. No matter which side he picks, rebuild or playoffs, the team is falling behind in that strategy. If he wants to make the playoffs even though its a waste of a season, he needs to make deal to improve the team soon. Sane goes for if he wants to tank.
If Masai doesn't do anything, it doesn't mean the season is wasted. If the team with its current collection makes the playoffs, that likely means tremendous growth by a lot of the young players, including DD, Ross, Val, etc. If they don't make the playoffs, it means the team has a lottery pick in a stacked draft.

MU is still evaluating the team. I think he wants to sell, but he wants a good return as well. He's not going to make a deal for the sake of making one.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #53 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
If Masai doesn't do anything, it doesn't mean the season is wasted. If the team with its current collection makes the playoffs, that likely means tremendous growth by a lot of the young players, including DD, Ross, Val, etc. If they don't make the playoffs, it means the team has a lottery pick in a stacked draft.

MU is still evaluating the team. I think he wants to sell, but he wants a good return as well. He's not going to make a deal for the sake of making one.
If he does nothing it means that we have a 6-10th seed in an atrocious East with arguably its best player expiring and if you resign him you're over the cap, if you don't your team is immediately much worse. If they don't make the playoffs they have a 12th pick in a draft where if they had a top 5 pick they could be set for the next 10 years with a franchise player.

All of those scenarios are wastes.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #54 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,688
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
If he does nothing it means that we have a 6-10th seed in an atrocious East with arguably its best player expiring and if you resign him you're over the cap, if you don't your team is immediately much worse. If they don't make the playoffs they have a 12th pick in a draft where if they had a top 5 pick they could be set for the next 10 years with a franchise player.

All of those scenarios are wastes.
IF you draft the right player.... Drafting a top 5 won't guarantee you the next LBJ, KD, Wade etc... We discussed that before but people tend to ignore that.
Tommy C is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #55 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
IF you draft the right player.... Drafting a top 5 won't guarantee you the next LBJ, KD, Wade etc... We discussed that before but people tend to ignore that.
In this draft I'd say a top 3 pick is a 80% chance at a superstar, top 5 is 75% chance at a Westbrook tier player.

Wiggins, Parker, Exum, Embiid, Smart all have amazing tools and are destined for stardom. Randle looks good too. Even guys like Zach Lavine, Aaron Gordon have looked great.

Nobody has ever said that a top 5 is a guarantee. THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES. But what you get is a much better chance at success than any other method.

Last edited by KoolAid; 12-23-2013 at 04:23 PM.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #56 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,688
Representing:
Default

So we get rid of all of our assets except JV let's say for expiring and draft picks, going into a full rebuilding that will take another 3-5 years? We better of trying add more quality pieces to this team and getting rid of one that won't fit long term.
Tommy C is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #57 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
So we get rid of all of our assets except JV let's say for expiring and draft picks, going into a full rebuilding that will take another 3-5 years? We better of trying add more quality pieces to this team and getting rid of one that won't fit long term.
I personally wasn't suggesting we do that, just trade the two key guys (Lowry and Amir) who play the hardest and get this team the most wins. You can tank and keep some of the guys on this team, DeMar especially since he's not a good defender and Vasquez would be one of the worst starting PGs in the league if Lowry was gone.

This team is not good enough to compete for a championship, and will not become that good in the future, therefore we should rebuild. Any rebuild is a process and nothing will come instantly. Even if Masai decides to keep them, let Lowry expire, and just go for maximum cap room in 2015, that's rebuilding and it will take time too.

Last edited by KoolAid; 12-23-2013 at 05:26 PM.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #58 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,688
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
I personally wasn't suggesting we do that, just trade the two key guys (Lowry and Amir) who play the hardest and get this team the most wins. You can tank and keep some of the guys on this team, DeMar especially since he's not a good defender and Vasquez would be one of the worst starting PGs in the league if Lowry was gone.

This team is not good enough to compete for a championship, and will not become that good in the future, therefore we should rebuild. Any rebuild is a process and nothing will come instantly. Even if Masai decides to keep them, let Lowry expire, and just go for maximum cap room in 2015, that's rebuilding and it will take time too.
I won't trade Amir, Lowry will be gone soon. The thing with Lowry that he is a rental. MU is a dreamer if he asks for a 1st round pick for him. Unless we take back some bad contracts or useless players.
Tommy C is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #59 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
I won't trade Amir, Lowry will be gone soon. The thing with Lowry that he is a rental. MU is a dreamer if he asks for a 1st round pick for him. Unless we take back some bad contracts or useless players.
He was about to get a first rounder for Lowry until Dolan had the epiphany that first rounders have value. I think he'd easily get a protected first for him from some team dying for a PG.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #60 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,688
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
He was about to get a first rounder for Lowry until Dolan had the epiphany that first rounders have value. I think he'd easily get a protected first for him from some team dying for a PG.
Was about to but didn't. No reasonable GM will trade that for a rental.
Tommy C is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24