Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Trade deadline deals (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/trade-deadline-deals-23624.html)

jeffb 09-03-2012 08:47 PM

Trade deadline deals
 
Quote:

Jose Calderon – Toronto Raptors

The Raptors have tried to trade Jose Calderon several times over the last two years, but this might be the year they can actually pull it off. Jose is entering the final year of his deal and at the trade deadline the Raptors will have paid more than 70% of the $10.561 million remaining on the deal.

The Raptors traded for Kyle Lowry this offseason and he is expected to be the starter, although the Raptors are saying roles will be defined in training camp.

With Jose at the end of his deal the Raptors will likely get something in return for him and given how bad that contract looked two seasons ago, that’s tremendous progress.

What the Raptors can expect in return is still very much up in the air, but what was once a huge liability might actually turn into a reasonable trade chip especially as the dollars owed start to get paid down.

NBA AM: On The Move At The Trade Deadline | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

raptorsfan1000 09-03-2012 09:57 PM

calderon for gay :cookie:

LKeet6 09-04-2012 07:25 AM

yeah, a deadline deal does seem likely doesn't it. A mid 1st round pick to make up for (hopefully) sorting out the owed pick to houston situation would be ideal. Start next season with a settled team plus a sleeper mid/late 1st rounder, sounds great!

jeffb 09-04-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKeet6 (Post 680550)
yeah, a deadline deal does seem likely doesn't it. A mid 1st round pick to make up for (hopefully) sorting out the owed pick to houston situation would be ideal. Start next season with a settled team plus a sleeper mid/late 1st rounder, sounds great!

**crosses fingers**

Shifty.py 09-04-2012 08:29 AM

Jose Calderon Raptor for life!

jeffb 09-04-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty.py (Post 680556)
Jose Calderon Raptor for life!

Probably. :crybaby:

MikeToronto 09-04-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty.py (Post 680556)
Jose Calderon Raptor for life!

:yeah::dancing::yeah::dancing::yeah:

LX 09-04-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

With Jose at the end of his deal the Raptors will likely get something in return for him and given how bad that contract looked two seasons ago, that’s tremendous progress.
Is that tremendous progress or just the normal progression of time taking effect?

Superjudge 09-04-2012 01:55 PM

the latter, but based upon the fact that he has remained an effective player.... which is always a gamble

LX 09-04-2012 02:06 PM

the inference was that there was nothing available in return for him in the past, so there wasn't much gambled, or to gamble. A bad contract is expiring. Time passed.

Superjudge 09-04-2012 02:09 PM

Well first it wasn't a bad contract. Second the only real thing to take from the Calderon situation is that if they are at the cap, his contract can be useful in a trade to upgrade another position. Thats it really.

There isn't much interesting in Raptorland right now to be honest. Not much at all.

jeffb 09-04-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 680592)
Well first it wasn't a bad contract.

Funny thing about his contract, i thought it was a good deal when he signed it then he had 3 injury filled seasons and it looked bad, then last season the contract looked better. Overall it was an ok contract, slightly overpayed but not by much and who in the NBA isn't at least slightly overpayed.....not that many.

moremilk 09-04-2012 06:50 PM

i don't see it a sure thing, it's not like barbosa where we were happy to get anything in return just to get a little worse. This year, by the deadline, hopefully we'll still be in contention, so Jose will be a key piece for us. Unless we get a significant asset in return (lottery pick or close to), I don't think we trade him. And we're not getting that for a 2 month rental.

The only scenario that has some legs is a trade for a higher paid player where jose acts as an expiring contract, besides that, he'll be a raptor until the end of his contract.

jeffb 09-04-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moremilk (Post 680637)
i don't see it a sure thing, it's not like barbosa where we were happy to get anything in return just to get a little worse. This year, by the deadline, hopefully we'll still be in contention, so Jose will be a key piece for us. Unless we get a significant asset in return (lottery pick or close to), I don't think we trade him. And we're not getting that for a 2 month rental.

The only scenario that has some legs is a trade for a higher paid player where jose acts as an expiring contract, besides that, he'll be a raptor until the end of his contract.

Having him just expire, then using the amnesty on a player (maybe Amir) makes sense so we can get another significant player next summer in FA ......hopefully anyway. If we're going to get anything for Jose we'll have to throw in something else (Amir, Demar, Kleiza?)

moremilk 09-04-2012 11:27 PM

yeah, there's that angle too, although if we were to get a pick, we'd keep most of the cap space, assuming the team trading the pick has other expirings to throw back at us.

All in all, it's pretty unlikely we will trade him imo. Unless we are already out of the playoff race by February, which hopefully it won't be the case :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24