TL on BC and the current talent level
Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,456
Representing:
Angry TL on BC and the current talent level

Leiweke says Raptors have work to do to become contenders

Quote:
Speaking Tuesday on TSN Drive with Dave Naylor, Leiweke pulled no punches in saying he thought the team was not as close to being a contending team as Colangelo and others within MLSE who provided opposition to the decision thought they were.

"I guess I don't think that we're 'right there,'" Leiweke said. "I don't think we're a piece away. I think we have work to do.

"There was no consensus," he said regarding the decision to begin a search for a new GM. "There were a lot of people with a lot of opinions and a lot of different opinions. Clearly, I had to understand that I was going to make a decision that was not going to please all."
This really sounds like we are going to rip it all apart.

Quote:
Not naming any one player directly, he made a point of mentioning he thought Colangelo's judgment may have been hindered due to his former ties to his no. 1 overall draft pick in 2006, Andrea Bargnani.

"We need someone who is extremely rational when it comes to the roster and reaching conclusions as to who is going to work and who is not going to work," Leiweke said. "Sometimes you have to find a new set of eyes and a new opinion in order to judge a roster. Not be personal about a player because you chose him or you used the first pick in the first round to pick a player. Sometimes it's easier for a guy coming in that doesn't have that loyalty and doesn't have that burden of being the guy that made that decision. You reach a better conclusion at times about who needs to stay and who needs to go."

He said moving forward the goal is to create a team that is a perennial contender, not one that is simply looking to sneak into a playoff spot.
So many people here have said this... but looks like the biggest reason BC is gone is his Bargnani blinders. I have to think this means Bargnani is gone gone gone ASAP which can't be bad for him and this team.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,759
Representing:
Default

Take it easy, BC.
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,617
Representing:
Default

Blow it up man.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,300
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Blow it up man.

Fuck that
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

Next year...
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,477
Representing:
Default

I actually don't like his quote on Bargnani. We all want him gone, but we can't trade him just for the purpose of trading him.
js12 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

BC had blinders to all of his draft picks.... and he just falls in love with his guys so he's always trying to trade low for low, never looking to sell high. There are some prime opportunities to cash in some mediocre assets right now, TL has a prime opportunity to cash in on unwarranted hype bestowed on role players.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js12 View Post
I actually don't like his quote on Bargnani. We all want him gone, but we can't trade him just for the purpose of trading him.
Toronto fans love that type of deal.... only trade the guys we don't want because everybody else must want them! There are major flaws with this team, hoping to see some major correcting. Less jumpshooting.... for all players, even the ones that have green lights.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Blow it up man.
That's just dumb. There's no reason in that. We can trade some of our assets for other assets that will improve the team. Maybe our asset that's wrong for us, is the right fit for another team and vice versa. As long as the incoming player/players enhance the pieces we want to keep, we can end up further ahead.
niggles is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js12 View Post
I actually don't like his quote on Bargnani. We all want him gone, but we can't trade him just for the purpose of trading him.
There is lot to be said for addition by subtraction. You don't know the negative effect Bargnani may have on the other players by being here. And on the attitude of the other players to management, because of two sets of rules for some players.
niggles is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,296
Representing:
Default

Um, I think he's actually referring to demar though, maybe gay. Bargain is already on the trading block, I don't think anybody wants him here still. Either way, I'm glad TL seems to be willing to go the rebuilding route, we do have a golden opportunity here with a potential stud in JV that is locked for 4 years, time enough to bring a few more good rookies .
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
Um, I think he's actually referring to demar though, maybe gay. Bargain is already on the trading block, I don't think anybody wants him here still. Either way, I'm glad TL seems to be willing to go the rebuilding route, we do have a golden opportunity here with a potential stud in JV that is locked for 4 years, time enough to bring a few more good rookies .
I think it's more that TL thinks he can accelerate the current rebuild, not tear it down and start over.
niggles is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,868
Representing:
Default

Ugh. I really don't want to blow it up. No, I don't think we're one piece away from competing for the conference finals or shit like that. I think we are probably a .500 team with the current roster and can make the playoffs if we used the MLE wisely and moved Bargnani for a contributing piece (not even necessarily a good one, just a useful contributor).

I was hoping we could make the playoffs the next two years, even if by just a slim margin, and get JV some good experiences. Then evaluate whether or not to keep Demar/Rudy/Lowry at the end of those 2 years.

It feels like we're constantly retooling and missing the playoffs. Lets keep a fucking core for once and see what the ceiling is.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

Next year...
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,477
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Ugh. I really don't want to blow it up. No, I don't think we're one piece away from competing for the conference finals or shit like that. I think we are probably a .500 team with the current roster and can make the playoffs if we used the MLE wisely and moved Bargnani for a contributing piece (not even necessarily a good one, just a useful contributor).

I was hoping we could make the playoffs the next two years, even if by just a slim margin, and get JV some good experiences. Then evaluate whether or not to keep Demar/Rudy/Lowry at the end of those 2 years.

It feels like we're constantly retooling and missing the playoffs. Lets keep a fucking core for once and see what the ceiling is.
Yes, exactly. I am still a Colangelo supporter, and felt that they should have given him one more year. This team needs some stability. We just added a new coach two years ago, we just added our starting point guard a year ago, and we just added a new top option a few months ago. We should honestly evaluate what we have right now, instead of blowing it up.

As for Bargnani, I still think he has more value on the team versus what we get in a trade. His value is at an all-time low, so why should we just trade him? I would honestly get someone in the organization to have a one-to-one discussion with him. The relationship with the organization has been strained with the fans and management ripping on him- and a lot of the criticism is deserved. The Raptors organization needs to tell him that his effort is unacceptable, as we have already seen how he plays when he is trying.

If we can get Bargnani to play at least on a respectable level, he is the missing piece that this team needs for a playoff run. Then we can decide whether to trade him or not.

But I guarantee that if we trade him for what he is worth right now, the Raptors will regret it for some time.
js12 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,792
Representing:
Default

I love hearing this. I hope he follows through.
woodchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Landing flight 31

Senior Member
 
0nekhmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 3,097
Representing:
Default

I like his mindset.. we ain't the leafs!!
0nekhmer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,901
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nekhmer View Post
I like his mindset.. we ain't the leafs!!
yeah the Raptors are worse
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,300
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonezz View Post
yeah the Raptors are worse
Haaahhhh. We've never gone 9yrs without a playoff appearance.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js12 View Post
Yes, exactly. I am still a Colangelo supporter, and felt that they should have given him one more year. This team needs some stability. We just added a new coach two years ago, we just added our starting point guard a year ago, and we just added a new top option a few months ago. We should honestly evaluate what we have right now, instead of blowing it up.

As for Bargnani, I still think he has more value on the team versus what we get in a trade. His value is at an all-time low, so why should we just trade him? I would honestly get someone in the organization to have a one-to-one discussion with him. The relationship with the organization has been strained with the fans and management ripping on him- and a lot of the criticism is deserved. The Raptors organization needs to tell him that his effort is unacceptable, as we have already seen how he plays when he is trying.

If we can get Bargnani to play at least on a respectable level, he is the missing piece that this team needs for a playoff run. Then we can decide whether to trade him or not.

But I guarantee that if we trade him for what he is worth right now, the Raptors will regret it for some time.
Been there , done that, on both counts-total fail. I'm sorry that Colangelo got to even stay with the organization- the Raptors will regret THAT for some time. No need to perpetuate the losing culture that has a firm grip on this franchise. If you really feel that talking to the wall has any benefits, that's up to you.

Personally, I'm tired of seeing re-runs of a bad soap-opera.
niggles is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,296
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
I think it's more that TL thinks he can accelerate the current rebuild, not tear it down and start over.
And how exactly are you going to do that when you only have the MLE to work with? This team IS built right now and it's locked in place for the next 2 years unless we break it. We only have four reasonable trade assets, Ross, Amir, Lowry and demar, and 3 of those have no real backup. So unless you find a sucker to give you a better player at the same position, you can't really hope to improve.

The obvious solution which I think TL alludes to, is to break the core and start over.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,296
Representing:
Default

As for bargain, imo he will be harder to trade now, since the other teams probably think we have to get rid of him at any cost.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24