TJ Cleared to Practice...
Old 01-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Byte Mii, I have Wii Fit!
 
Krazy Ivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,967
Representing:
Default TJ Cleared to Practice...

From ESPN...

Quote:
Raptors guard T.J. Ford was cleared to resume workouts Wednesday after visiting a spine specialist in Cleveland.

It isn't immediately known when Ford, injured last month during a game at Atlanta, will begin working out again. There is also no timetable for his return to the Raptors.

"The prognosis is looking good for a full recovery and a return to basketball," Raptors director of media relations Jim LaBumbard said after Toronto beat Philadelphia on Wednesday night.

Ford will return home to Houston and work out with former NBA player John Lucas. Ford and Lucas also worked out together after Ford was injured in 2004.

Ford had to be carried off on a stretcher after hitting his head on the court when Atlanta rookie Al Horford knocked him to the court on Dec. 11. He suffered a stinger in the fall, an injury that causes a painful tingling in his arms and hands. Ford spent the night in hospital before being released the following morning.

Toronto is 6-7 since Ford's injury.

In 2001, Ford was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the openings of the vertebra the spinal cord runs through. He was also injured in a February 2004 collision with Minnesota's Mark Madsen, then missed the final 26 games of that season and the entire 2004-05 season with Milwaukee because of neck surgery.

Ford was sidelined by a stinger during last season's first round playoff series against New Jersey. He missed six games earlier this season with a stinger in his left arm, the result of a Nov. 20 collision with Dallas' Josh Howard. Ford, who returned to action on Dec. 7, is averaging 14.1 points and 6.8 assists.
ESPN LINK
Krazy Ivan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,249
Representing:
Default

I hope he can be as affective as he was before. I'm concerned that he's going to play alot more tentative now knowing that with every injury or scare, it might be the last time he ever walks again.
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

I dont think anything is decided yet, Like someone said on EBS, why does he have to go houston?, well who knows.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,290
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith View Post
I hope he can be as affective as he was before. I'm concerned that he's going to play alot more tentative now knowing that with every injury or scare, it might be the last time he ever walks again.
Perhaps that might be a good thing..a slowed down T.J may be a smater TJ and use his speed in spurts.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
a Piston Fan !

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,258
Representing:
Default

Alot of ifs when he returns. Any hard foul, pick, charge will be a problem. I do see TJ coming bach though as a back up with Jose getting the major minutes. A fresher TJ just might keep him from getting injured.
raptor123 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

I pretty sure, that if he comes back, he is going to backup calde most of the year.
If Calde keeps playing so well, they are not going to risk another change of rythm for the team near the playoffs. And it will be a good way for Tj to recover slowly without puttin a lot of pressure on his shoulders.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kuzzy
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

TJ gunna slow down???
maybe first 10-15 games
but hes fearless
once he gets back in the flowww
watching him being the Little Enginee he always is.
and run that UP_TEMPO style
that we all love ...
cant wait to see him backkkk
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belsius View Post
I dont think anything is decided yet, Like someone said on EBS, why does he have to go houston?, well who knows.
He's going to be practicing back in Texas under former coach John Lucas. This is the same guy who helped TJ recover after his first major NBA layoff back when he was with Millwuakee. so no big deal there.

I was listening to Sportsnet News this morning and they were touching on TJ returning to his starting role and Jose coming off the bench. I for one HATE the fact that this is the viewpoint that seems to be arising - and i really hope it's not true.

Jose has done pretty much all one can do to keep a starter's role. TJ on the other hand, is coming back from a serious injury, and i'm sure he wouldn't really argue getting a reduced role to ease him back to mid season form - especially in light of Calderon playing as well as he is.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,249
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
I was listening to Sportsnet News this morning and they were touching on TJ returning to his starting role and Jose coming off the bench. I for one HATE the fact that this is the viewpoint that seems to be arising - and i really hope it's not true.

Jose has done pretty much all one can do to keep a starter's role. TJ on the other hand, is coming back from a serious injury, and i'm sure he wouldn't really argue getting a reduced role to ease him back to mid season form - especially in light of Calderon playing as well as he is.
Exactly fancy, that fact that its even up for discussion is laughable. T.J.'s a great asset to have no matter which way you cut it, but right now its Jose job to lose. At least for the remainder of this season. Let it be a hot topic this summer especially if Ford does actually feel 100% and can play like he did before the injury in Atlanta. Right now we don't need that distraction and just have to get back on our game so we can focus making the playoffs.
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

I think its almost 100% sure calde is going to start for most of the season. This team doesnt want more change in its starters and style, specially so near of the post season. Also Tj will want to slowly come from the bench to get back to its old self, and having the pressure of starting wouldnt help that.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

I have to disagree with all you guys... first... what we're missing is TJ's offense and how he gets the players into an offensive flow particularly in the start of quarters.... and Sam's rule you dont' lose your job because of injury. TJ will probably be weened back to starters minutes and then the starting role but it WILL happen this season as it should IMO.
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,290
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! View Post
I have to disagree with all you guys... first... what we're missing is TJ's offense and how he gets the players into an offensive flow particularly in the start of quarters.... and Sam's rule you dont' lose your job because of injury. TJ will probably be weened back to starters minutes and then the starting role but it WILL happen this season as it should IMO.
Selective memory..especially at the start of games.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! View Post
I have to disagree with all you guys... first... what we're missing is TJ's offense and how he gets the players into an offensive flow particularly in the start of quarters.... and Sam's rule you dont' lose your job because of injury. TJ will probably be weened back to starters minutes and then the starting role but it WILL happen this season as it should IMO.
i really hope you're wrong, SWAN. What kind of a coaching policy is that to have sarters' roles engraved in stone even when players' performances would indicate the opposite should take place?

Moreover, what does that tell Jose Calderon who is playing extremely well right now, getting all star consideration, and most importantly deciding what team is his best fit for the rest of his career? Do you think he's always going to strive to be a backup point guard?

The more i think about, the more i think of how terrible it would be if TJ just got handed the starter's role - for no real reason.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

Swan, we are not talking that much about who do we prefer, its more about whats better for the team and for TJ himself. Do you think putting the pressure of a starter in a .500% team fighting for a good spot in the playoffs would be good for his recovery?
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
i really hope you're wrong, SWAN. What kind of a coaching policy is that to have sarters' roles engraved in stone even when players' performances would indicate the opposite should take place?

Moreover, what does that tell Jose Calderon who is playing extremely well right now, getting all star consideration, and most importantly deciding what team is his best fit for the rest of his career? Do you think he's always going to strive to be a backup point guard?

The more i think about, the more i think of how terrible it would be if TJ just got handed the starter's role - for no real reason.
We'll see I suppose but really... what if Nash went down and Barbosa elevated his game to the point of all-star consideration... should Nash not get his job back when he returns?

Really this is only a discussion because many of you dont' believe in TJ like BC and Sam(and I) do. TJ is our starting point guard and he shouldn't lose his job simply because Jose has filled in above expectations... first because you shouldn't lose your job because you got hurt(that's dirty pool) and second because the team is struggling on offence despite Jose's numbers.

For me I want what's best for the team..and that is a healthy TJ starting and getting 30 minutes and Jose backing him up with 20 minutes. If Jose isn't happy being a backup he'll sign elsewhere... but putting TJ as the backup when he was brought here to lead the team is just wrong particularly when he's done nothing to lose his job.

As good as Jose is... and I really like him.. he's not the best guard to start for this team. Our offense is simply better when TJ starts and Jose comes in to change up the flow.

If we're being honest, TJ is a more effective defender that forces more turnovers and puts more pressure on the opposing point guard. He can take over games and lift the team up when it needs a lift... not saying he's flawless but we're missing that stuff huge. Jose is sharp, doesn' tmake mistakes, not too flashy...very steady and has been a lifesaver and the only reason we're a 500 club with TJ out... but he's just filling in.
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

BAH! Nonsense! please stop it.

First of all, TJ is not Nash. not yet anyhow. and seiing as Nash is a 2 time MVP and Barbosa isn't even a true PG, that scenerio would never happen. not trying to be picky... but just pointing some stuff out.

second of all, this is NOT a TJ vs. Jose thread by any means. I'm not even going to try to look at who the better PG is or anything, so don't even try to make a argument of that nature here.... As i see it they're both on the same level skill-wise. In fact if i worked at EA sports, i'd give them the exact same player values.

All i'm saying, and what most everyone here is saying is that at this point Jose has EARNED the right to be in the starting lineup. He's earned it in everyway that one can earn a starter's role. taking it away - if he continues to play like he has - would be grossly unfair.

Quote:
For me I want what's best for the team..and that is a healthy TJ starting and getting 30 minutes and Jose backing him up with 20 minutes.
... i justnoticed this quote and i so dissagree with you. Look, the'yre both good point guards - both make their team better. sometimes one is hot, and sometimes it's the other. Why should there be a formula as to TJ getting 10 minutes more? why? stop the nonsense!

Last edited by fancylad; 01-11-2008 at 11:26 AM.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,290
Representing:
Default

To follow up how exactly did T.J earn the role..he was appointed.

and yes T.J is very good at all those things you said...at on point though, is there any evidence to support that T.J gets the team of too better starts.,..I tend to think that a lightining quick T.J off the bench would be fantastic.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
BAH! Nonsense! please stop it.

First of all, TJ is not Nash. not yet anyhow. and seiing as Nash is a 2 time MVP and Barbosa isn't even a true PG, that scenerio would never happen. not trying to be picky... but just pointing some stuff out.

second of all, this is NOT a TJ vs. Jose thread by any means. I'm not even going to try to look at who the better PG is or anything, so don't even try to make a argument of that nature here.... As i see it they're both on the same level skill-wise. In fact if i worked at EA sports, i'd give them the exact same player values.

All i'm saying, and what most everyone here is saying is that at this point Jose has EARNED the right to be in the starting lineup. He's earned it in everyway that one can earn a starter's role. taking it away - if he continues to play like he has - would be grossly unfair.

... i justnoticed this quote and i so dissagree with you. Look, the'yre both good point guards - both make their team better. sometimes one is hot, and sometimes it's the other. Why should there be a formula as to TJ getting 10 minutes more? why? stop the nonsense!
Nonsense my foot. Jose may have earned a starting job, but TJ hasn't done anything to lose it. You're clearly biased towards Jose... look how the tandem led our team last year with TJ as the starter? Look at our record with Jose starting and everyone else healthy... not so impressive. Our offense has struggled huge and just because he gets a lot of assists and no turnovers you annoint him god and discard TJ? NONSENSE!

TJ losing his starting role because he got sacked is grossly unfair.

My minutes formula is an average over the entire year... not hard and fast rule for every game...sure you play th ehot hand in the 4th quarter like Sam did last year.... but the average should favour TJ the starter a bit. Since both players have been on the team, our record is far superior with TJ starting and JOse in relief than the other way around, and while i acknowledge that having TJ to backup Jose would increase JOse's wins a bit... not so much as having TJ kickstart our offense and take over when needed down the stretch as we saw countless times last season. Unfortunately for TJ this season he never had a complete lineup as Bosh was hurt and sucking early on of his own accord and when the team finally got ready to go, Tj got his first stinger..and then the biggie.
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

But do you think it will be smart to change our starting PG with only one month left in the competetition? with luck thats the time you can assume Tj could be back to 100%.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! View Post
Nonsense my foot. Jose may have earned a starting job, but TJ hasn't done anything to lose it. You're clearly biased towards Jose...
TJ losing his starting role because he got sacked is grossly unfair.
:mad:
I'm not bias at all!
I'm as big a TJ fan as i am a Jose fan - seriously, i don't favour one over the other and i completely mean that. They're actually both my favorite Raptors - in my past posts i thought i made it pretty clear just how much a miss TJ.

Anyways, i just think the way things are going now, you can't take Jose out of the starter's role. Also, lets remember that TJ is coming back for a very serious injury - you have to agree that it's best for him to "ease" back into his playing time and then to re-evaluate things once TJ is back in mid-season form, right? Come on.. you know that's the most reasonable thing to do!

and pardon the nonsense stuff, i was just being cheeky.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fedex Forum cleared for an emergency Renihan_00 NBA Talk 5 01-13-2010 03:18 PM
Iranian Cleared To Negociate with NBA Kirby NBA Talk 4 08-21-2008 10:43 PM
Arenas Cleared To Practice Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 1 03-04-2008 12:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24