Time for Salmons' Minutes to be Cut. - Page 4
Old 03-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #61 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,632
Representing:
Default

Lets me honest ... the guy did help our second unit when he came over ... Solid defender and another guy that can handle the ball and even makes the odd shot.

His play lately has clearly dropped ... he has never been a good shooter, but he's in a major slump right now. De Colo and Fields should be getting his minutes, until he gets out of this slump. I frankly would like to see more of De Colo and see what's there

Ross smelling the place up yesterday hurt us more ... without him and JV being more consistent ... this shit is going to continue to happen.

We need Ross to be more aggressive and start going to rim ...
Carlito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #62 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
fresh n' spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: mississauga
Posts: 998
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Lets me honest ... the guy did help our second unit when he came over ... Solid defender and another guy that can handle the ball and even makes the odd shot.

His play lately has clearly dropped ... he has never been a good shooter, but he's in a major slump right now. De Colo and Fields should be getting his minutes, until he gets out of this slump. I frankly would like to see more of De Colo and see what's there

Ross smelling the place up yesterday hurt us more ... without him and JV being more consistent ... this shit is going to continue to happen.

We need Ross to be more aggressive and start going to rim ...
He's not in a major slump, he is just terrible. He has shot 30% from the field all year, yes he had a few good games initially coming over from the Sacramento trade but that was just a brief honey moon period, that play did not reflect the player he truly is.

In terms of Ross, well he had one "off" game, but over all he has been extremely solid. Not shooting well for one game like Ross, is different from being in a season long 30% shooting, low basketball IQ "slump". De colo, Fields need more burn, Salmons career is done, maybe after we buy him out this summer Philadelphia can pick him up. Don't see anyone else wanting him.
fresh n' spicy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #63 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,429
Representing:
Default

The worst part about his game is the appearance of complete apathy on his part. I can't understand what would possess a coach to put a guy who seemingly doesn't give a crap into the game.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #64 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,173
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
The worst part about his game is the appearance of complete apathy on his part. I can't understand what would possess a coach to put a guy who seemingly doesn't give a crap into the game.
I don't buy that he doesn't care
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #65 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Rene_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,039
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
His interviews always sound like he doesn't want to be here. I would say he acts and sounds exactly like Shawn Marion when he was traded here.
I disagree. Marion made a strong effort to pretend to wanted to be here and bolted asap when he couldnt get his desired pay day. I think Salmons is happy with the opportunity to play in the playoffs in the tail end of his career. He just has an extremely flat-affect, and his style of play doesn't help his cause either. I'm not advocating for more Salmons, cuz those free throws were dreadful. Even though the turnover on the inbound prior to that foul was his fault, he had a solid block on Durant to recover. With PP and GV in the game we probably could have closed that game out.

I was and still am kinda shocked we lost after being up by 8, but it's not entirely Salmons' fault. He just sealed the deal, along with Durant being unreal.
Rene_13 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #66 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,773
Representing:
Default

Whether he cares or not, he is terrible.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #67 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

He's averaging a .045 WS/48 minutes
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #68 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Rene_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,039
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Whether he cares or not, he is terrible.
I agree.
Rene_13 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #69 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,756
Representing:
Default

Just so you guys are clear - Ross had a bum hip.

And i've seen people bitching when Nando is inserted as a small forward. Three point guard lineup? Fuck you Casey!

Salmons will be gone. He did help revive this team from the grave. There is so little to fret about with this. My main concern is with getting that bum hip in good shape, getting Amir's ankles better, getting Lowry's groin and knee in tip top shape, getting DeMar some rest, and getting Patterson back in good condition. I can live with losses, and with more Salmons, if we can cross off a good amount of that to-do list. Otherwise this team is at risk of grinding itself into the ground with games like this, win or lose.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #70 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,773
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Just so you guys are clear - Ross had a bum hip.

And i've seen people bitching when Nando is inserted as a small forward. Three point guard lineup? Fuck you Casey!

Salmons will be gone. He did help revive this team from the grave. There is so little to fret about with this. My main concern is with getting that bum hip in good shape, getting Amir's ankles better, getting Lowry's groin and knee in tip top shape, getting DeMar some rest, and getting Patterson back in good condition. I can live with losses, and with more Salmons, if we can cross off a good amount of that to-do list. Otherwise this team is at risk of grinding itself into the ground with games like this, win or lose.
The purpose of all those items on your to-do list is to be ready for the playoffs, right? Well, Salmons is going to play a crapload of minutes in the playoffs, and it's going to suck. We shoul be integrating Fields and to a lesser extent de Colo into the lineup now so that Salmons isn't playing by default when the games matter.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #71 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,756
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
The purpose of all those items on your to-do list is to be ready for the playoffs, right? Well, Salmons is going to play a crapload of minutes in the playoffs, and it's going to suck. We shoul be integrating Fields and to a lesser extent de Colo into the lineup now so that Salmons isn't playing by default when the games matter.
De Colo is being worked into the lineup. That's the only reason you are even bringing him up. Fields is done until he gets a shot that isn't hopeless. Anybody who has watched him in shootaround knows that all of his shots are wonky, and that he is rebuilding his form as though he has a new pair of arms. He just isn't a basketball player right now. Maybe next season with any hope.

Why is it a given that Salmons will play a crapload of minutes? What is that based on? If Ross had not been in foul trouble, and then hurt, then we would have seen the trend of fewer minutes for Salmons continue. And we also are seeing Vasquez get more minutes based on merit and value, and that is working out pretty well.

So hopefully Greivis stays healthy, Ross gets his hip solid, and Patterson is able to contribute what he can off the bench, because then we can certainly live with a few minutes from Salmons, and maybe more if he is rested, in which case he has shown himself to be far from terrible with more minutes.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #72 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,800
Representing:
Default

Continue to play Salmons.
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #73 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,739
Representing:
Default

Players go through ups and downs, right now Salmons is about as down as he can get, his confidence appears shattered. There are to many games left for Casey not to keep playing him because Salmons is a vet and you need to assume he will get the confidence back before the playoffs. If he lays eggs from now until a five-six games left, then Casey needs to make a decision.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #74 (permalink)
elT
brainfarting keyboard eater

Dwane Casey kicks ass!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 854
Representing:
Default

I can only imagine the outrage if Nando was there and he missed those free throws. Casey would become Raptor enemy #1.

Shit happens. Salmons is not playing very good, nobody can deny that. But we do not have too many options. Casey is trying to work Nando in. It is not easy for anybody.

Couple of years ago, there was a game in Boston, Ray Allen missed two key free throws with under a minute to go. There a lot of these things in basketball history.

But none if this matters.

Let's just remove everyone that is not perfect from the team.

For a fan base that tolerated Bargnani for six of his seven years here...some you guys are really really impatient and inconsistent.
elT is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #75 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,689
Representing:
Default

even as bad as he is now, he's a very valuable playoff guy. He's a threat from deep and teams have to respect that, he can handle the ball better than most other Raptors and his defense is still ok, even though he's not the stopper he was early. But I always think of somebody like pierce, you look at him and he's barely moving on the floor and the past few years, he's been a dud for most of the season. Except, in the playoffs, he's always a force.

I think salmons will be fine once PP returns and especially once the playoffs arrive, when he'll get decent rest (no travel and no b2bs). We can't break up the rotation and start experimenting with fields and stone and others who never played a single minute. I can understand colo getting some burn, we need to see what he can do as he's new. I don't expect him to play much in the playoffs though, unless there are injuries.

our standard team is 8 deep and that's the way it's going to be in the playoffs.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #76 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,173
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
even as bad as he is now, he's a very valuable playoff guy. He's a threat from deep and teams have to respect that, he can handle the ball better than most other Raptors and his defense is still ok, even though he's not the stopper he was early. But I always think of somebody like pierce, you look at him and he's barely moving on the floor and the past few years, he's been a dud for most of the season. Except, in the playoffs, he's always a force.

I think salmons will be fine once PP returns and especially once the playoffs arrive, when he'll get decent rest (no travel and no b2bs). We can't break up the rotation and start experimenting with fields and stone and others who never played a single minute. I can understand colo getting some burn, we need to see what he can do as he's new. I don't expect him to play much in the playoffs though, unless there are injuries.

our standard team is 8 deep and that's the way it's going to be in the playoffs.

Right now Salmons looks like he doesn't want the ball in his hands. He has no confidence and if that continues he'll be next to useless in the playoffs. And in his 13 seasons he's only played 22 playoff games.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #77 (permalink)
Nasty, right? I cocked that joint back and banged on him!

Lackey
 
Ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,651
Representing:
Default

His game schedule should be like D-Wade. No back to backs, lots of rest, but with fewer minutes and he'll be fine. For all those bashing him, he will be useful in the playoffs when they need stops and T-Ross has has 3 fouls in the first 10 minutes. In much the same way, Hansborough will be useful. I don't think Nando will be thast helpful. Maybe Fields in spots. We're starting 2 virtual rookies in the playoffs....who have never been in NBA playoffs. Good luck with that.
Ammo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #78 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,756
Representing:
Default

I think Ross is not right. He starts off nice and then sometime in the second quarter will just stop moving his feet. And he starts avoiding contact at all cost. I think he's trying to fight through it as good as a sophomore can, but the dropoff is still problematic. Hopefully he can get everything ironed out before the playoffs, and aside from that, definitely keep working to get stronger in the offseason. Meanwhile, if Salmons can be in decent shape and balance out Terrence's ups and downs, then things could be very good.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #79 (permalink)
basketball fan

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 5
Representing:
Default

The thing about Salmons is that some nights he's quietly effective; other nights he's just quiet. Over the course of the season you'll get some of both.
63royals is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #80 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,173
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63royals View Post
The thing about Salmons is that some nights he's quietly effective; other nights he's just quiet. Over the course of the season you'll get some of both.
He looks tired imo. I also wonder if he's injured, his defense has taken a step back and his lateral quickness just isn't there like it was.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24