Is it Time to get rid of Smitch? - Page 2

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: What shoudl Raps do with Sam Mitchell?
Get rid of him right now 7 26.92%
They should wait and replace him in the off-season 12 46.15%
Raps should keep him since he is doing such a good job 5 19.23%
I am confused... who is Sam Mitchell? 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,289
Representing:
Default

Ok, they did a good job on Deron and Boozer.

Hows about.

Dunlevy
Magette
ahh shit The list could go on...average players look at us and say.

"hey we are playing the "Toronto Imma gonna get my season high Raptors"
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,890
Representing:
Default

Deron and Boozer took it easy on us.

I'm glad you spelt Dumbleavys name wrong, he isnt good enough to have it spelt right. I cant beleive we let that scrub score 36 on us.

Answer to Q: Fire him after the season.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF OG
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: At my house
Posts: 1,381
Representing:
Default

Mitchell is not the coach to get this team to the next level.
This is a team with a supposedly "high basketball I.Q." that plays the most simple and predictable brand of ball I've ever seen. He doesn't utilize the teams strengths effectively, he has possibly ruined Bargnani by trying to make him a 5 and he can't motivate his players to do simple fundamentals like boxing out or playing defence.
As good as Mitchell might be with the guys in the locker room, I don't think that's reason enough to let the status quo continue.
His coach of the year award actually set the franchise back. I think everyone expected more progress this year and ultimately the responsibility for the lack of it falls on Sam.
Dann38 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,489
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
Deron and Boozer took it easy on us.

I'm glad you spelt Dumbleavys name wrong, he isnt good enough to have it spelt right. I cant beleive we let that scrub score 36 on us.

Answer to Q: Fire him after the season.
dunleavy is avg 18/5/3 this season... i'll take him anyday of the week over the majority of guys we have...
if thats a scrub, what the hell would you call moon, delfino, kapono....? the list could go on.

you guys bitch and moan about how bad smitch gets outcoached and how bad our D is.
we've got the 5th best Points against in the east. 9th best in the NBA.
so i wouldnt get on sam's case about our D.
if you wanna nitpick something about his coaching; look at how he's handling the PG situation, then complain.

but really, how the hell can you call for his head during what may be the worst scenerio we've dealt with in years... our star is injured, we're on a 5 game west swing, and our PG situation is a disaster....
you guys need to relax. the timing right now is awful.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,890
Representing:
Default

Quote:
but really, how the hell can you call for his head during what may be the worst scenerio we've dealt with in years... our star is injured, we're on a 5 game west swing, and our PG situation is a disaster....
you guys need to relax. the timing right now is awful.
I've called for his head since day 1, so I have every right .

And who cares if Dunleavys putting up 18 on the Pacers? AP could easily do that. I'll take AP over Dunleavy every day. You saw Dunleavy in GSW and how he handled pressure, the guy isnt a good starter in the NBA on a good team. Hes a pansy who pissed his pants when things didnt go well and got run out of town because his confidence shattered.

Plenty of guys have done what hes done and more on bad teams.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,665
Representing:
Default

Parker can't put up 18 per on our awful team. j/k
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,289
Representing:
Default

I am a day 1er too....I have license to bitch.

Yes Dunleavy averages 18.

36.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,489
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
I've called for his head since day 1, so I have every right .
true, i'll give you that.



in dunleavy's defense, he's finally been put in a situation where he's comfortable and he can shine.
in GS he was never comfortable...it just wasnt the right fit for him.
Indy has a decent team, so i'm not buying that excuse that no one is on that team... when healthy (with O'neal, and tinsley) along with Granger, and the other role players they have, they arent that bad.

GS warrior fans hate dunleavy because he's finally playing the type of ball they wanted him to play when he was on their team...
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,890
Representing:
Default

Quote:
in dunleavy's defense, he's finally been put in a situation where he's comfortable and he can shine.
On a bad team where hes the #1 option. Many players have been in that situation before and 'succeeded' then been a bench player on a good team. Not necessarily a bad thing. If you think hes gonna be a starter on a good team i think theres soemthing wrong with you.

Quote:
in GS he was never comfortable...it just wasnt the right fit for him.
Because? Theyre a run and gun team who puts up a lot of shats, how would he not fit there? Whyd they get better when they traded him? Hmmm...

Quote:
Indy has a decent team, so i'm not buying that excuse that no one is on that team... when healthy (with O'neal, and tinsley) along with Granger, and the other role players they have, they arent that bad.
And Dunleavy would then be the 4th option and average AP numbers.

Quote:
GS warrior fans hate dunleavy because he's finally playing the type of ball they wanted him to play when he was on their team...
No, they hate him because they picked him 3rd and he sucked when he played for them.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
No, they hate him because they picked him 3rd and he sucked when he played for them.
Yeah he was their Hoffa... hurts more that he started to play like a number 3 after leaving the team though.
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,890
Representing:
Default

Quote:
hurts more that he started to play like a number 3
Yall are crazy. Putting up 18PPG on a bad team doesnt= starting to play like a #3. Dont make me list the names of guys who have done the same thing.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
Yall are crazy. Putting up 18PPG on a bad team doesnt= starting to play like a #3. Dont make me list the names of guys who have done the same thing.
Dunleavy is a talented offensive player regardless of what numbers or what team. He's versatile and has some bbiq. Problem is many fans only look at numbers, or the reverse they slam guys that make good numbers on lousy teams. Like vince so many times before me, i say...whatever.
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,489
Representing:
Default

18/5 on a bad team... blah blah blah....
the guy is good. period.
i guess granger is crap then too, i mean granger is putting up 18/6 on the same team... identical numbers... yup, good numbers on a crap team, he sucks.
in fact, according to your theory, everyone who is putting up good numbers on shitty team is overrated and suck.

if you wouldnt want Dunleavy on this team, you'd be crazy.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #34 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Dwayne Wade sucks. David Lee sucks. Kevin Durant sucks. Iguodala used to suck but now he's good. Kaman sucks. Al Jefferson sucks the most out of everyone! Man the league is full of sucks.
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,402
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
you guys bitch and moan about how bad smitch gets outcoached and how bad our D is.
we've got the 5th best Points against in the east. 9th best in the NBA.
so i wouldnt get on sam's case about our D.
you have to account for pace - we're playing very slowly. Also, this stat is skewed because we make so few turnovers (really, our main defensive staple). No way we are a top 15 defensive team, with or without Bosh.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #36 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,489
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
you have to account for pace - we're playing very slowly. Also, this stat is skewed because we make so few turnovers (really, our main defensive staple). No way we are a top 15 defensive team, with or without Bosh.
i agree, our D is not top notch. but it doesnt suck like some of you guys claim.
and when it comes down to it, the stats dont lie... they actually look very good.

considering the fact that we do run decent speed more than often and arent a slow team, its pretty nice to see that (stats wise) teams dont score that much on us compared to the rest of the league. and thats something to be proud of.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #37 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

I don't think he should be replaced now. I do however, think he will once this team gets to where Bryan thinks they should be. I don't think it's happened yet, but I can see these guys tuning him out at a certain point. He's one coach who wears his emotions for all to see. When they make bonehead plays, he reacts with disdain and that's caught by the cameras. As a player, that'd piss me off after a while.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #38 (permalink)
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Senior Member
 
The MVP of West Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,129
Representing:
Default

Dunleavy's a good player. Not an all-star, but above average. He's gone off for 30 on a bunch of teams this year... not the easiest thing to do. I'd put him on a Lamar Odom level, you can't build your team around him, but he's solid.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Tommy2Tymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 441
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
no it wasn't fine -we got burned all season by 2 and 3 guards. And we have an above average defensive player in Parker. And we lost quite a few games to weak teams this season, seattle, knicks, clippers, 76ers (when they sucked), the pacers - all with Chris playing, and playing well.

i meant fine as in no one bitched and moaned about smitch and him needing to be fired. you contradicted yourself a bit here, if AP is an above average defensive player, how come he couldnt shut down 2's and 3's from the sonics, knicks, clippers, 76ers, pacers? maybe its because hes not an above average defensive player.

a coach can only do so much, he cant play for the guys.

milk, i understand your point, and i'm not 100% against firing smitch. but like Insider said, the timing for this is just awful. this team is not at a point where we're expected to battle with the big boys just yet. last season really spoiled us, and we came into this season expecting to be title contenders. not gonna happen
Tommy2Tymes is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
enjoying having the keys to destiny

perusing ancient database
 
ClingRap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The far side of the Universe.
Posts: 1,897
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy2Tymes View Post
i last season really spoiled us, and we came into this season expecting to be title contenders. not gonna happen
i think right now, for me anyway, i'm upset because they arent competing, they're making the same mistakes over and over again, and barring an unlikely winning streak, we're on pace for regressing. i guess it all boils down to how they do in the playoffs, but a first round exit would be a major setback. we've got to win 13 of our next 15 to match what we did last year in the regular season.
ClingRap is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smitch Day Windex Toronto Raptors 3 02-21-2009 01:34 PM
RF Time - A Time Zone Unto Itself Barracuda Questions & Suggestions 11 02-16-2009 01:59 AM
Smitch Benzo Toronto Raptors 54 11-19-2008 07:13 PM
Smitch!!!!!!!!!!!! Benzo Toronto Raptors 20 04-04-2008 02:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24