Time to get Josh Smith...
Old 11-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,218
Representing:
Default Time to get Josh Smith...

Writings on the wall in ATL.

This could be exactly what the Raptors need at this point.

I'd be willing to deal for this guy. Expiring deal and it seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll leave in free agency. Maybe BC finally swallows his pride and packages something like Bargnani and Ed or something and makes it happen.

Smith would be a great fit playing the four and if he pans out this year...give him the money.

Thoughts?
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,787
Representing:
Default

and how do you propose we get this.. "Josh Smith"...?
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gizzle View Post
Writings on the wall in ATL.

This could be exactly what the Raptors need at this point.

I'd be willing to deal for this guy. Expiring deal and it seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll leave in free agency. Maybe BC finally swallows his pride and packages something like Bargnani and Ed or something and makes it happen.
Smith would be a great fit playing the four and if he pans out this year...give him the money.

Thoughts?
Knowing BC he'd probably want to pair JSmoove with Bargs
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,387
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gizzle View Post
Writings on the wall in ATL.

This could be exactly what the Raptors need at this point.

I'd be willing to deal for this guy. Expiring deal and it seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll leave in free agency. Maybe BC finally swallows his pride and packages something like Bargnani and Ed or something and makes it happen.

Smith would be a great fit playing the four and if he pans out this year...give him the money.

Thoughts?
I think realistically, Gallinari is a better fit for this team and a bit easier to acquire at the 3. Colangelo's former assistant GM is Denver's current GM(Masai Ujiri) and I'd suspect they still have a good relationship. Also with Smith, you have to worry about resigning him or letting him walk for nothing,after giving up one of your best assets in Bargnani. With the emergence of Kenneth Faried at the 3,Bargs can play the 4 in Denver,which is what they need. Bargs plays like a 3 in TO but starts at PF so Gallinari is a natural fit,seeing he can spread the floor with his shooting abilities,which compliments DD ability to get to the hoop at the SG. J. Smith is a type of player Casey would like,my only worry would him turning into a chucker to pad his stats in hopes of a large contract for the off season
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,097
Representing:
Default

Josh Smith at the 4 instead of Bargnani would certainly make us a much better defensive team.

I don't think Atlanta wants anything we'd have to offer, though. Bargnani? No. I think they get a better offer somewhere else, before ever getting that desperate. If J-Smooth is traded, Atlanta is either going full rebuild mode (expiring and picks), or looking to replace him with an all-star calibre player so that they can still have a chance at the playoffs. I don't think the Raps can help them with either plan.

Just my impression/opinion.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 8,594
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

yeah we don't have enough for him..
Dario is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
threes and free throws

Senior Member
 
Metallikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,030
Representing:
Default

Won't happen, stop dreaming, we don't have enough and he'd leave in free agency because I believe he can sign a bigger deal. You get him this offseason for the max if you can and that's about our best hope.
Metallikid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,097
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by @BaileysBlitz View Post
I think realistically, Gallinari is a better fit for this team and a bit easier to acquire at the 3. Colangelo's former assistant GM is Denver's current GM(Masai Ujiri) and I'd suspect they still have a good relationship. Also with Smith, you have to worry about resigning him or letting him walk for nothing,after giving up one of your best assets in Bargnani. With the emergence of Kenneth Faried at the 3,Bargs can play the 4 in Denver,which is what they need. Bargs plays like a 3 in TO but starts at PF so Gallinari is a natural fit,seeing he can spread the floor with his shooting abilities,which compliments DD ability to get to the hoop at the SG. J. Smith is a type of player Casey would like,my only worry would him turning into a chucker to pad his stats in hopes of a large contract for the off season
Kenneth Faried is not a 3. He is a PF. He was guarding Zach Randolph on the block last night. I don't think I've seen him guard a real SF for more than a few possessions. Gallinari is the SF in Denver's current starting lineup. Gallo only plays PF when they go small-ball.

The point is, I doubt Denver has any use for a starting front court of Faried, Bargs, and Koufos (or McGee). Who is going to guard the opposing SF on the bulk of possessions?
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,387
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Kenneth Faried is not a 3. He is a PF. He was guarding Zach Randolph on the block last night. I don't think I've seen him guard a real SF for more than a few possessions. Gallinari is the SF in Denver's current starting lineup. Gallo only plays PF when they go small-ball.

The point is, I doubt Denver has any use for a starting front court of Faried, Bargs, and Koufos (or McGee). Who is going to guard the opposing SF on the bulk of possessions?
I completely understand what you're saying and you have valid points. At the same time Denver has a lot of depth at the 2 and 3 spots and not as much at the 4 and 5. I believe Farried is quick enough to guard an opposing 3 in the West,except for Durant & Gay. Who knows,maybe Bargnani goes to another team in a 3 team trade.
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,844
Representing:
Default

Unless we get a 3rd team involved forget it. Apparently the Lakers are willing to offer anything outside of Howard/Kobe/Nash. ATL can likely get 3-4 better offers for Smith. And isn't he a FA next summer? And it still doesn't solve that massive hole at SF.

Lowry
Ross??
Derozan
Smith
Valanciunas
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 514
Representing:
Default

Josh Smith has all tools in the world. However, I'd be a bit hesitant on him... Dude loves to jack up outside shots on offense. Love what he provides on defense, but I'd probably pulling my hair out watching him on offense. It's pretty much a wash if you flip him for Bargs and filler. you get better defensively but worse offensively.
SoGood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,923
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGood View Post
Josh Smith has all tools in the world. However, I'd be a bit hesitant on him... Dude loves to jack up outside shots on offense. Love what he provides on defense, but I'd probably pulling my hair out watching him on offense. It's pretty much a wash if you flip him for Bargs and filler. you get better defensively but worse offensively.
Bargnani hurts the offense right now more than anyone, I doubt smith would be jacking up lots of shots anyway.

Smith can play the small forward spot, there isn't a need for him to be PF... Amir or Davis can start
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Bargnani hurts the offense right now more than anyone, I doubt smith would be jacking up lots of shots anyway.

Smith can play the small forward spot, there isn't a need for him to be PF... Amir or Davis can start
Smith xan't play the three anymore... and he absolutely does jack up shots. Still, he's no doubt better than AB and defensively he could be awesome next to the right player. I'm not sure he'd ever re-sign here though....
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,923
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Smith xan't play the three anymore... and he absolutely does jack up shots. Still, he's no doubt better than AB and defensively he could be awesome next to the right player. I'm not sure he'd ever re-sign here though....
He plays the three right now, so he obviously can. Also the offense won't be flowing through smith, he won't have an opportunity to jack up shots.
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
He plays the three right now, so he obviously can. Also the offense won't be flowing through smith, he won't have an opportunity to jack up shots.
You're right, he can play it... I thought he'd gotten too fat. But he'd still jack shots, he does it when he wants to there.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
not Drake, that's for sure

Kleiza's agent
 
Zalgiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,126
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
He plays the three right now, so he obviously can. Also the offense won't be flowing through smith, he won't have an opportunity to jack up shots.
He'd be best player in our team, how could we not give him the offensive freedom?
Zalgiris is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

He is more of a PF and starts at PF.

Also, I think ATL would want something like Ross and Bargs for him.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Presidential
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,692
Representing:
Default

Id be willing to package Bargnani/Ed/Ross/2nd Rounder.

That offer should at least marinate with ATL as a pretty good one.
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
Id be willing to package Bargnani/Ed/Ross/2nd Rounder.

That offer should at least marinate with ATL as a pretty good one.
I think they'd take that and run. I'd do everything to keep Ross though.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 1,954
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
Id be willing to package Bargnani/Ed/Ross/2nd Rounder.

That offer should at least marinate with ATL as a pretty good one.
wow, really don't like that deal.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24