Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Thorpe: Alabi is better then Joel Anthony (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/thorpe-alabi-better-then-joel-anthony-20644.html)

jeffb 06-25-2011 05:47 PM

Thorpe: Alabi is better then Joel Anthony
 
David Thorpe says Alabi is better the Joel Anthony..

Rapcast #111: ESPN’s Coach David Thorpe talks Raptors Basketball | Raptors Republic | ESPN TrueHoop's Toronto Raptors Blog


Recap from RealGM:

Quote:

Here's a quick recap on Solo's section (from 12:30):
- In two years or a year from now he would be able to play as the starting centre for the Miami Heat...and they would win.
- As good as Joel Anthony defensively, better shot, better hands.
- Alabi is working out in his gym.
- NBA players who had seen him last year were surprised at the different player he has become this year
- Significantly improved from last year athletically.
- Watched Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol tapes to model game after
- They want him to make a living in front of the rim using his size and create space.
- Alabi has a chance to be able to do that but also be a better shooter.
- Soloman destroyed some of the guys who are being drafted this year.
- He's gotten stronger
- He loves the game but Thorpe is not sure if he loves it enough
- He's working harder than most guys
- Hasheem thabeet was supposed to workout with Thorpe but he isn't there. Solo is more developed than him.
- Think Solo can become a starting centre a year or two down the road or at least become a really good backup on a good team.
- Alabi is not a good fit with Bargs because he likes to pick and pop.

jj33 06-25-2011 05:56 PM

I don't believe it! why didn't he play at all?

Don Vito 06-25-2011 05:57 PM

Alabi? Really? I for one am surprised, I don't think anyone here ever saw anything in him.

Gurk 06-25-2011 05:58 PM

Wow. I have to see it to believe it.

RaptorsandBuckeye FaN 06-25-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 553872)
Alabi? Really? I for one am surprised, I don't think anyone here ever saw anything in him.


I never thought he would be a great player but I was happy when the Raptors traded for him as a second rounder. Thought he could be a good role player if developed right and given time.

box92 06-25-2011 06:03 PM

i read this also. everyone said that it was biased though. lets see

th3answ3r 06-25-2011 06:04 PM

only one way to find out.

Dark Knight 06-25-2011 06:13 PM

Don't forget that Alabi was supposed to be a mid-first rounder last year. He was a bit banged up last year, and also needed time to adjust to the NBA game. If he can turn into a solid backup center, I'd be happy.

th3answ3r 06-25-2011 06:16 PM

he looked like crap last year because triano only sent him in for 2 min max during blowouts.

halphbreedballer 06-25-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by th3answ3r (Post 553888)
he looked like crap last year because triano only sent him in for 2 min max during blowouts.

Yah really needed more minutes he needs time to develop because the NBA is so fast compared to the dleague.

Dutches 06-25-2011 06:54 PM

this is some joy-inducing news. I really hope Thorpe is right. I was really excited when we got him from Dallas, I was surprised at how little he played last year considering it was a rebuild year from day one...

DSWC 06-25-2011 06:58 PM

Maybe he'll actually get a chance under Casey.

If he turns into anything, that's a really good thing, but if he can even become a backup, he and Jonas could split the C minutes for a long time. With Alabi, Jonas, Andrea (who I think will improve under Casey - 'cause let's face it, he's probably not going anywhere), Amir and Ed Davis; our front-court looks pretty good in a couple of years (barring major trades, etc).

finstock 06-25-2011 07:07 PM

'Tis a fine tall man, but sure 'tis no basketball player, English.

At 23 already, if Alabi turns out to be anything relatively useful, I'll be plum surprised.

Gurk 06-25-2011 07:13 PM

Honestly, I just hope next year we can play all of our young players a lot. We ain't winning shit, so we might as well play these players a ton of minutes and let them get better.

Blaze 06-25-2011 08:10 PM

Is this the same guy that they limit the time he practises with the team in case he injures someone? How can Alabi be better than Anthony if he's never ever chanced down a loose ball.

box92 06-25-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaze (Post 553921)
Is this the same guy that they limit the time he practises with the team in case he injures someone? How can Alabi be better than Anthony if he's never ever chanced down a loose ball.

Its because hes too strong

js12 06-25-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSWC (Post 553901)
Maybe he'll actually get a chance under Casey.

If he turns into anything, that's a really good thing, but if he can even become a backup, he and Jonas could split the C minutes for a long time. With Alabi, Jonas, Andrea (who I think will improve under Casey - 'cause let's face it, he's probably not going anywhere), Amir and Ed Davis; our front-court looks pretty good in a couple of years (barring major trades, etc).

Good point. Casey can use a guy like Alabi to help with the defence. Hopefully Alabi is familiar with the zone since Casey likes to use that a lot.

DSWC 06-25-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by js12 (Post 553931)
Good point. Casey can use a guy like Alabi to help with the defence. Hopefully Alabi is familiar with the zone since Casey likes to use that a lot.

At FSU Alabi anchored the (I think, if I remember correctly) the #1 defense in the country. That has got to hold some sort of currency with Casey, who loves a defensive anchor at the 5.

My guess is that we'll get a Vet C (but not one of the bigger names), who will play ~25 minutes a night, and slowly give Alabi and then eventually Jonas more minutes, but he'll help with mentoring them.

EDIT: Hopefully somebody like Jeff Foster. He'd be perfect.

Toebee 06-26-2011 01:31 AM

Listened to the interview and i think his injury slowed down his development. Big men take a long time to develop. I hope he pans out
One thing you can't develop is 7ft tall. 7-footers who play hard have long careers. Why is Tony Battie, Diop, Magloire, Dampier, etc. still in the league? 7-footers who play hard. Hopefully Alabi will have a long successful career with the Craptors.

RaptorsFan4Life 06-26-2011 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toebee (Post 554007)
Listened to the interview and i think his injury slowed down his development. Big men take a long time to develop. I hope he pans out
One thing you can't develop is 7ft tall. 7-footers who play hard have long careers. Why is Tony Battie, Diop, Magloire, Dampier, etc. still in the league? 7-footers who play hard. Hopefully Alabi will have a long successful career with the Craptors.

He's 7ft 1, not 7ft 7. Not sure what you're getting at.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24