Swirsky Officially Becomes a Canadian
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,250
Representing:
Default Swirsky Officially Becomes a Canadian

Congrats to Chuck .... nauseating to some because of his homerism, but can't fault the guy for his passion of Raptors basketball and for his love of this country. I'm happy for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Swirsky
Today I will officially become a Canadian citizen. I am humbled and honoured.

I would like to thank MLSE for their support over the years as Richard Peddie, Tom Anselmi, Liana Ward Bristol, John Shannon and Chris Hebb have been encouraging. The folks in 307-Raps TV: Dan Gladman, Nicole Anderson, Frank Hayward and Ashley Boland have been invaluable as well. Our TV traveling crew of Jack Armstrong, Matt Bloom, Troy Clara, Paul Graham, Leo Rautins and John Rusin are outstanding professionals. Nelson Millman of the Fan 590 brought me here 10 seasons ago and without question it's the best professional decision I have ever made. I owe a lot to Nelson Millman, a man who is a pioneer in sports talk radio in Canada. It would have been a very safe choice to hire a home grown Canadian in 1998 to call Raptors' games but Nelson thought outside the box and persuaded me to leave WJR Radio and the University of Michigan for the NBA.

I flat out love Toronto and admire what this country stands for. As a dual citizen I will maintain my passion and enthusiasm for Canada when discussing personal and business opportunities with associates in the United States.

By nature I am a positive person. That's the way I was raised and I haven't changed. I always look for the good in people and hopefully that reflects in my broadcasting style. I want to express that to all Canadians that you should be proud of "our" country and to be patriotic and proud.
And Mike Ulmer's little blurb on Chuck becoming Canadian today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ulmer
There were homemakers, businesspeople, civil servants and one sports announcer. Seattle native Chuck Swirsky, the voice of the Toronto Raptors, waved his tiny flag with the rest. It’s been a decade since Swirsky drove across the Ambassador Bridge that links Detroit and Windsor. He was coming for a try in Canada. When he was a kid all he knew about Canada was that the bacon and maple syrup were good and that Vancouver was a pretty city. Even, as an adult making that drive he didn’t know a whole lot more.

“My first impression when I made that drive from Detroit was ‘this is a huge city, a huge market” he said. There was opportunity for Swirsky, but there was also something more.

“What I love about Canada,” he said, “is the people, the diversity, the connection people have with each other here.”
Link - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
on the outside, looking in.

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,307
Representing:
Default

I just can't contain my enthusiasm...

Any less of a penalty for assassinating a Canadian instead if an American?
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,287
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrane View Post
I just can't contain my enthusiasm...

Any less of a penalty for assassinating a Canadian instead if an American?
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,533
Representing:
Default

Let's not kid ourselves, he only did this to make getting through customs easier for himself.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Well obviously i'm a supporter of the swirsk. I consider it asinine to pay enough mind to a team's announcer to have a hate-on for him... but whatever floats a person's boat. Congrats to the Swirsk for becoming one of us
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,761
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrane View Post
I just can't contain my enthusiasm...

Any less of a penalty for assassinating a Canadian instead if an American?
Could I please, please carry the ammo?
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
on the outside, looking in.

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,307
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Could I please, please carry the ammo?
Hey, I don't need all the fun to myself. We can just do it Caesar-style. I just get to go first.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
on the outside, looking in.

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,307
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! View Post
Well obviously i'm a supporter of the swirsk. I consider it asinine to pay enough mind to a team's announcer to have a hate-on for him... but whatever floats a person's boat. Congrats to the Swirsk for becoming one of us
With all due respect SWAN, how can you keep him out of mind when you have to listen to him all game, every game, spewing the same catch-phrases, the same ludicrous nick-names, the same weak-ass ball-busting arguments with Leo - talk about asinine. He just yammers away the whole time, rarely commenting on the game at hand, and always delivering the lamest possible commentary on the action.

Now, we can disagree on whether his commentary is good or not - obviously I think it's terrible - but the point is that if you find it irritating, it's impossible to keep it out of mind. It takes away from the enjoyment of the game. Constantly.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,761
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrane View Post
Hey, I don't need all the fun to myself. We can just do it Caesar-style. I just get to go first.
Et tu, Brute?
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
on the outside, looking in.

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,307
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Et tu, Brute?
Let me be surrounded by fat men.
Sleek-headed men, such as sleep o'nights.
Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much, such men are dangerous.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,761
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrane View Post
Let me be surrounded by fat men.
Sleek-headed men, such as sleep o'nights.
Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much, such men are dangerous.
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrane View Post
With all due respect SWAN, how can you keep him out of mind when you have to listen to him all game, every game, spewing the same catch-phrases, the same ludicrous nick-names, the same weak-ass ball-busting arguments with Leo - talk about asinine. He just yammers away the whole time, rarely commenting on the game at hand, and always delivering the lamest possible commentary on the action.

Now, we can disagree on whether his commentary is good or not - obviously I think it's terrible - but the point is that if you find it irritating, it's impossible to keep it out of mind. It takes away from the enjoyment of the game. Constantly.
First off have you ever listened to other team's broadcasts? Their broadcasters are just as homeristic and biased...only few of them have a personality..they're just drones that lull you to sleep. In other words, dont' hate chuck for supporting the team he is paid by..he's pretty complimentary of other teams, coaches and players as well and may not rip the Raps when they're sucking but he doesn't ignore their weaknesses either.

Second you comment about him rarely commentating on the game is untrue and unfair. If you really listen and not through your anti-chuck fuzzy pink ear muffs you'll notice when the action is on he's calling it...what he does do is interject historical comparisons and anecdotes for Leo or Jack to comment on from a basketball perspective, and while you may or may not want to learn about that aspect of the game, it's history and people...some of us do. I guess if you dont' that could be annoying?

Third..you DO have another option. Put your radio or internet broadcast to the fan 590 and listen to Paul and Eric!
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
on the outside, looking in.

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,307
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! View Post
First off have you ever listened to other team's broadcasts? Their broadcasters are just as homeristic and biased...only few of them have a personality..they're just drones that lull you to sleep. In other words, dont' hate chuck for supporting the team he is paid by..he's pretty complimentary of other teams, coaches and players as well and may not rip the Raps when they're sucking but he doesn't ignore their weaknesses either.

Second you comment about him rarely commentating on the game is untrue and unfair. If you really listen and not through your anti-chuck fuzzy pink ear muffs you'll notice when the action is on he's calling it...what he does do is interject historical comparisons and anecdotes for Leo or Jack to comment on from a basketball perspective, and while you may or may not want to learn about that aspect of the game, it's history and people...some of us do. I guess if you dont' that could be annoying?

Third..you DO have another option. Put your radio or internet broadcast to the fan 590 and listen to Paul and Eric!
1. I don't hate on him for being a Raps supporter and a homer. I hate on him for being such an obvious company man. You'll never hear a bad word about BC or MLSE from Chuck, you can bet on that. There's a huge difference there.

2. Meh, if that's what you like, then so be it. We'll just have to disagree. He knows a ton about sports, there's no doubt, and the history is important to some. What I hate is all the other garbage - breaking balls with Leo, the whole salami and cheese insanity, calling out the threes from 'downtown wherever'. It's the same crap every game. It drives me nuts that he has to be talking at all times. This is why I love watching soccer. The commentating is sparse, well informed and necessary to the enjoyment of the game. Now I realize that this is apples and oranges, but when Chuck's not talking about the game, he's not interesting IMO, and that's a good 50% of the time.

3. Oh, I do, all the time. But it irritates me that I have to. And I know I'm not the only one. And Eric and Neal are pretty bad too. Bring back John Saunders!!!

Two other points:
1. The catch phrases are so silly by now. I'm willing to be that we couldn't tell the difference between the talking bobble-head Swirsk and the real thing. It's just bad Chuck cliche after bad Chuck cliche, all the time. He's like a robot, inserting excitement by using pre-programmed cliche phrases and vocal tones even when it's not exciting - "OH BABY WHAT A PLAY!!!!!" when it's just a lay-in, for example.
2. He has no idea what he's saying. "Eating some rim", "NBA facial", c'mon, is nobody pointing the obvious out to him? How can you be such a goody-two-shoes to not know what those terms mean? This kind of thing drives me nuts. I just find him to be such a douche.

I'm sorry I felt the need to get on Chuck a bit here. Your opinion is yours, and mine is mine, and we don't need to argue about it. I certainly don't mean to insult you, but I just can't take Chuck anymore. I find every moment of his commentary excruciating.

MikeTO and I can't be the only ones, can we?
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
enjoying having the keys to destiny

perusing ancient database
 
ClingRap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The far side of the Universe.
Posts: 1,869
Representing:
Default

Cling is with you coltrane. maybe i can drive the getaway chariot if mike is carrying the ammo!
ClingRap is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,761
Representing:
Default

The soccer comment is bang on - I would love to listen to at least one Raps game commented by Jack Armstrong alone and to have him in as laconic mode as possible. I'd much rather be listening to the noises of the game (squeaks, swishes, occasional play call or even swearing) than all that "the fade, the fire..." nonsense.
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
enjoying having the keys to destiny

perusing ancient database
 
ClingRap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The far side of the Universe.
Posts: 1,869
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
The soccer comment is bang on - I would love to listen to at least one Raps game commented by Jack Armstrong alone and to have him in as laconic mode as possible. I'd much rather be listening to the noises of the game (squeaks, swishes, occasional play call or even swearing) than all that "the fade, the fire..." nonsense.
indeed. all of the schtick, chuck or any other broadcaster who subscribes to cliche, muddies the opportunity for differentiating perspectives of a given event. the possibilites for seeing some of the nuances, what sort of things a given viewer's attention is drawn to is greatly polluted by the commentator, and what they see. there are some whom i like, like armstrong. i like what they see. chuck only sees what he's paid or instructed to see.
ClingRap is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,968
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

I too have been in the anti-chuck campaign.

Hell, I have a friend of mine who lived in Detroit when he was broadcasting there. He was run out of town for being such a poor announcer. This is Detroit. A city that knows it sports. They hated him. Toronto saw him and then scooped him up because he had experience in play calling and would give them a stable team (it went from ugh Rod Black, to John Saunders and back and forth).

And again, I too would love to see a soccer type of presentation. Let the game speak for itself. Fuck, god knows how many times I have said that already....
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,533
Representing:
Default

I loved John Saunders. Too bad the Raps told him he had to live in Toronto year round.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Well i have this then to say to all you anti-chuckers... na na na na na he's the broadcaster deal with it
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,541
Representing:
Default

My opinion:

Chuck's OK. and that's it. somtimes, fine OFTEN, he's a bit much to handle and truthfully he is a corny mofo. but i've gotten used to him. And having listened to other commentators, i don't mind the job he's doing.
fancylad is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bol Kong Officially Accepted At Gonzaga BRAY88 Oh Canada! 7 09-21-2009 09:54 PM
OKC officially registers 6 names The MVP of West Hollywood NBA Talk 16 07-27-2008 11:14 PM
GINO Time has officially taken over Boston Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 2 06-13-2008 07:40 AM
Today in Raptorland Threads Are Now Officially On Hiatus Dr. J. Naismith News & Announcements 4 05-01-2008 11:24 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24