Sun: Colangelo's option expected to be picked up, possible announcement monday - Page 3

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #41 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 80,610
Representing:
Default

Hmmmmm, next couple days should be interesting.....

Quote:
TORONTO — It has been nearly four weeks since the NBA season ended, and over two weeks since the fate of Bryan Colangelo was placed in the hands of Tim Leiweke, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment’s new superstar CEO. It appears to finally be on the verge of a conclusion.

Leiweke confirms a decision is imminent, but denies one has been reached. One source familiar with Leiweke’s thinking says the chief executive is leaning toward replacing Colangelo, and that a decision could be announced as soon as Monday. But reached Sunday afternoon by email, Leiweke said, “I have not gotten to a decision and I need to get board interaction so I think it is still up in air. That said, he may not want to be here if he does not get a long-term commitment. A lot will happen in the next few days.”

Sources say the board representatives for Rogers and Bell, led by BCE chief executive officer George Cope and Rogers CEO Nadir Mohamed, have ceded the decision to Leiweke, who has NBA ties dating back to his days as the president of the Denver Nuggets until 1995. Rogers and Bell each own 37.5% of MLSE, and have agreed to vote as a bloc; neither is believed to be in favour of retaining Colangelo, but in this case they are not making the final call. Leiweke, the former CEO of sports giant AEG, is in charge.

It is not believed that Colangelo would balk at a one-year commitment, though it would serve as a convenient fallback for both parties in the case of separation. Leiweke has been in contact with Phil Jackson, but that is not yet seen as a likely scenario for either party, in part because Jackson is engaged to Los Angeles Lakers executive vice-president Jeannie Buss. Instead, Leiweke says Jackson is merely one of several NBA figures who is providing him with advice.

Toronto Raptors’ GM Bryan Colangelo may have already sealed his fate | Sports | National Post
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #42 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,226
Representing:
Default

A very different tone in that piece. I thought the sun piece was a bit too out front in leading a cheer for another year of BC, when indeed he might not be all that interested in such an offer. And time just isn't really an issue unless candidates for replacements are getting scooped up.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #43 (permalink)
at MSG failing a pointless 360 degree dunk during a losing streak

Lackey
 
Deez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,811
Representing:
Default

Yes, could be interesting because we're all guessing now. B.C gone along with Stefanski, Embry, Casey, Alvin, everyone?

Or stefanski takes over as Lewiski's temporary puppet?

Or, have they been sneaking around getting the replacement(s) together?
Deez is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #44 (permalink)
We going to the 2nd rd!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,847
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
The way I look at it, another year is hardly an indictment of ownership as embracing losing. I mean it just isn't. It's a year. It would be nice to see a more definitive, clear cut direction immediately, but if things are handled the right way over the course of the year, it might prove to bring a change in direction in that it's not going to necessarily be a Colangelo within the BS political framework we saw before where he was able to wield a lot of power. I would argue that hasn't really been the case since just before the sale. And the results haven't been too bad since then. Not great, and he just might not be the right guy to get it done long term, but then he's only getting a year, supposedly. I can live with that.
I don't think you can look at it as just another year. With another year of bad management, we may end up losing a guy like Lowry for nothing, or more likely, BC may go out of his way to get us into the playoffs to save his own ass like he already tried to do this year, which would then put us in an even bigger hole. He's basically handcuffed us already with a Milwaukee-esque roster who isn't going anywhere, I dont even want to think about the scenarios he may go to ensuring that we make the playoffs trying to get another payday.

That plus you have to look at the coaching side of things as well. If BC stays, then so does Casey, and our system will likely stay the same on both sides of the ball, which likely means that we'll end up seeing the same roboticized Lowry, and Derozan and Gay put in scenarios where they're taking low percentage shots all of the time. Most importantly, JV wont get the good coaching he needs to take his game to the next level either, as I dont think Casey is capable to put him in situations to fully expand his game and learn all of the different positions he needs to be in, especially defensively.

I just see it as another wasted year, especially for the development of our players individually, as a unit, and most of all, hurting us flexibility wise (even moreso) going forward.

If this new guy from LA's reputation is true, why should we have to go through another year of horrible management and coaching? Shouldnt we expect better?
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #45 (permalink)
wanted the Bucks :(

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,458
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Don't Lie View Post
I don't think you can look at it as just another year. With another year of bad management, we may end up losing a guy like Lowry for nothing, or more likely, BC may go out of his way to get us into the playoffs to save his own ass like he already tried to do this year, which would then put us in an even bigger hole. He's basically handcuffed us already with a Milwaukee-esque roster who isn't going anywhere, I dont even want to think about the scenarios he may go to ensuring that we make the playoffs trying to get another payday.

That plus you have to look at the coaching side of things as well. If BC stays, then so does Casey, and our system will likely stay the same on both sides of the ball, which likely means that we'll end up seeing the same roboticized Lowry, and Derozan and Gay put in scenarios where they're taking low percentage shots all of the time. Most importantly, JV wont get the good coaching he needs to take his game to the next level either, as I dont think Casey is capable to put him in situations to fully expand his game and learn all of the different positions he needs to be in, especially defensively.

I just see it as another wasted year, especially for the development of our players individually, as a unit, and most of all, hurting us flexibility wise (even moreso) going forward.

If this new guy from LA's reputation is true, why should we have to go through another year of horrible management and coaching? Shouldnt we expect better?
I have to agree BDL. Firing Colangelo doesn't mean he's a bad GM and President but in his time in Toronto he just hasn't done good enough. Rebuild or not,5 straight years missing the playoffs is a justifiable reason to dismiss him. The positive thing is despite the lack of salary cap flexibility he's left a couple of pieces and assests(DeRozan, Gay and Valanciunas) for the next President and GM to work with. If Bryan remains,he may make a decision that hurts the team because of his attachment to his transactions. A qualified person with a fresh pair of eyes will easily make the necessary moves to get this team to the next level,sort of like how Colangelo did when he first arrived after replacing Rob Babcock.
MBailey85 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #46 (permalink)
waiting for the casey is fired press conference

Senior Member
 
rapsmannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,959
Representing:
Default

anybody else a little alarmed that the new boss was a the former president of the denver nuggets

nuggets werent any good until they got melo

and the lakers success he has no part in, they were already winnign championships when he came along

i do agree that business wise this guy seems to no what he is doing but its not like mlse isn't already a successful massvie company without him

this guy worries me just saying, i just want bc back at least i know he'll mkae the right moves long term for the team considering the young and up and coming talent we laready have on this roster
rapsmannn is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #47 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

lol seriously? you're concerned that he was the president of a team over 20 years ago that performed just as poorly as our Raptors (actually progressively better), and you want BC back.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #48 (permalink)
and that's the bottom line, cause JV said so!!!

This is how U(jiri) do it
 
Carlos Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 3,936
Representing:
Default

Grange is reporting BC may step down
Carlos Danger is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #49 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,823
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
I also think the roster needs upgrading. The current group might squeeze into the playoffs, only to be cannon fodder for their opponents. Better coaching and management might win them 1 round. Hubba-hubba actually thinks the current team is top 4/5.
Of course the Roster needs upgrading duh!?!

If this roster makes the playoffs next year that's when you start making moves to fill the holes that are apparent from loosing in the playoffs...

Playoffs 1st & formost IMO
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #50 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,226
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Don't Lie View Post
I don't think you can look at it as just another year. With another year of bad management, we may end up losing a guy like Lowry for nothing, or more likely, BC may go out of his way to get us into the playoffs to save his own ass like he already tried to do this year, which would then put us in an even bigger hole. He's basically handcuffed us already with a Milwaukee-esque roster who isn't going anywhere, I dont even want to think about the scenarios he may go to ensuring that we make the playoffs trying to get another payday.

That plus you have to look at the coaching side of things as well. If BC stays, then so does Casey, and our system will likely stay the same on both sides of the ball, which likely means that we'll end up seeing the same roboticized Lowry, and Derozan and Gay put in scenarios where they're taking low percentage shots all of the time. Most importantly, JV wont get the good coaching he needs to take his game to the next level either, as I dont think Casey is capable to put him in situations to fully expand his game and learn all of the different positions he needs to be in, especially defensively.

I just see it as another wasted year, especially for the development of our players individually, as a unit, and most of all, hurting us flexibility wise (even moreso) going forward.

If this new guy from LA's reputation is true, why should we have to go through another year of horrible management and coaching? Shouldnt we expect better?
I see your point, but I personally don't mind the coaching. If Casey was not in the picture then I'd be in full agreement. I thought Jonas developed very well throughout the year, and that the team played as a cohesive unit for the first time in a long time.

Should we expect better? Yes. But if they need to buy some time before getting there, I just don't think it puts that much at risk. Bryan has been on a leash, and that would continue, probably to an even greater extent. I think the big question would be why Bryan would accept such a situation.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #51 (permalink)
Has "it"

Senior Member
 
Ataf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Catharines
Posts: 1,799
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
You're expecting low. But that's a choice that's up to you. Mentioning "realistic" is just your security blanket.

Stop assuming what I'm feeling or thinking as the basis for your rebuttal, because you would be wrong.

The lower the bar you set, the lower the results you get. The higher the bar, the higher the results. You might fail in either case, but I'd much rather fail at a higher expectation.
So it's a security blanket cause it doesn't apply to you.

I agree, higher you set, better CHANCE at getting higher result. However, you're falsely believing what you can get out of the team. Which can result into blowing the team up every year since your ridiculously high standards aren't meet. I'm talking about their full potential. You're acting like 5/6th seed is 'low expectations', if that's low to your standards then you are expecting something crazy like being ahead of Rose + bulls, or Lebron + MIA, or Indy or Melo's Knicks (Assuming they don't blow things up).Yea I assumed what you felt, because you said my expectations were low. How else I'm gunna interpret what you said? Don't be an idiot.

Setting the bar up there isn't fair to the management, coaches, or players. My expectations aren't low, like you state, they're realistic... if anything iwas talking about best case senerio so they are HIGH expectations. Not low.
Your expectations (assuming since you think mines are low expectations) of getting further than the teams mentioned, is wishful thinking. and plain ridiculous.
Anyways, we have an offseason to get talented veterans off the bench, which BC said was his aim this offesason, what else can you ask for?

Last edited by Ataf; 05-13-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Ataf is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #52 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,523
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataf View Post
So it's a security blanket cause it doesn't apply to you.

I agree, higher you set, better CHANCE at getting higher result. However, you're falsely believing what you can get out of the team. Which can result into blowing the team up every year since your ridiculously high standards aren't meet. I'm talking about their full potential. You're acting like 5/6th seed is 'low expectations', if that's low to your standards then you are expecting something crazy like being ahead of Rose + bulls, or Lebron + MIA, or Indy or Melo's Knicks (Assuming they don't blow things up).Yea I assumed what you felt, because you said my expectations were low. How else I'm gunna interpret what you said? Don't be an idiot.

Setting the bar up there isn't fair to the management, coaches, or players. My expectations aren't low, like you state, they're realistic... if anything iwas talking about best case senerio so they are HIGH expectations. Not low.
Your expectations (assuming since you think mines are low expectations) of getting further than the teams mentioned, is wishful thinking. and plain ridiculous.
Anyways, we have an offseason to get talented veterans off the bench, which BC said was his aim this offesason, what else can you ask for?

I don't set the bar, management and coaches do. You completely missed my point. The underlying message that DC & BC have spun this season is that the team is in " a process". That doesn't say to the players " I believe in you"

When the Bulls had to face the Nets in game 5 of their series, without Rose, without Deng, without Heinrich, with Noah limited in minutes and with Nate Robinson suffering from the flu, all Thibodeau said when asked about the missing player's was " We've got more than enough" He set a high bar for the players and they met it.

BC has aims every offseason. He's just crappy at achieving them.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #53 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,904
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsmannn View Post

nuggets werent any good until they got melo
Correction for yourself my friend......the nuggets weren't any good until they GOT RID of Melo....think about it for a second
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #54 (permalink)
We going to the 2nd rd!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,847
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsmannn View Post
anybody else a little alarmed that the new boss was a the former president of the denver nuggets

nuggets werent any good until they got melo

and the lakers success he has no part in, they were already winnign championships when he came along

i do agree that business wise this guy seems to no what he is doing but its not like mlse isn't already a successful massvie company without him

this guy worries me just saying, i just want bc back at least i know he'll mkae the right moves long term for the team considering the young and up and coming talent we laready have on this roster
Its posts like these that make me wonder what world some Raptors fans live in. Especially the bolded part. I guess the losing and Bryans bullshit terms has brainwashed a lot of fans.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #55 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,069
Representing:
Default

The best part of that article is that now our ownership is deferring to the President and a basketball mind that they just hired for decisions, which is just smart.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #56 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,307
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
Correction for yourself my friend......the nuggets weren't any good until they GOT RID of Melo....think about it for a second
they were not worse with melo imo, about the same as they are now
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #57 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,904
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
they were not worse with melo imo, about the same as they are now
Its funny because since 03-04 Denver has made the playoffs every year, yet every years except for the 08-09 season they lost in the first round
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #58 (permalink)
Has "it"

Senior Member
 
Ataf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Catharines
Posts: 1,799
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
I don't set the bar, management and coaches do. You completely missed my point. The underlying message that DC & BC have spun this season is that the team is in " a process". That doesn't say to the players " I believe in you"

When the Bulls had to face the Nets in game 5 of their series, without Rose, without Deng, without Heinrich, with Noah limited in minutes and with Nate Robinson suffering from the flu, all Thibodeau said when asked about the missing player's was " We've got more than enough" He set a high bar for the players and they met it.

BC has aims every offseason. He's just crappy at achieving them.
I disagree
At the 4-19, Guess what BC said? We've got enough talent to win. I'm not making changes. When EVERYONE else doubted their talent, BC said they got the talent to win. There is no excuse.
Process means it's a process not "we suck and we will forever". Process means they're learning the game, and getting better. Bulls went through it too.
I disagree on the last bit, he's pretty good at getting talent in the of season as well.
Ataf is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #59 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,523
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataf View Post
I disagree
At the 4-19, Guess what BC said? We've got enough talent to win. I'm not making changes. When EVERYONE else doubted their talent, BC said they got the talent to win. There is no excuse.
Process means it's a process not "we suck and we will forever". Process means they're learning the game, and getting better. Bulls went through it too.
I disagree on the last bit, he's pretty good at getting talent in the of season as well.
He said, it's not a question of talent, it's a question of "focus". Of course he didn't doubt the talent, he was responsible for assembling it. What would you expect him to say- "WTF, I shit the bed assembling this group?"

After he said, I'm not making changes, he ratcheted up the pursuit of Rudy Gay.

In reality, he's a snake oil salesmen. Plus he's not pretty good at getting talent in the off-season-Jason Kapono, Jamario Moon, Jermaine Oneal, Rasual Butler, Dominic MacGuire, Hedo Turkoglu, Julian Wright, Sonny Weems, Anthony Carter and more that were forgettable.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #60 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsmannn View Post
anybody else a little alarmed that the new boss was a the former president of the denver nuggets

nuggets werent any good until they got melo

and the lakers success he has no part in, they were already winnign championships when he came along

i do agree that business wise this guy seems to no what he is doing but its not like mlse isn't already a successful massvie company without him

this guy worries me just saying, i just want bc back at least i know he'll mkae the right moves long term for the team considering the young and up and coming talent we laready have on this roster
?????????????
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24