Sources: Raptors Open To Trading Calderon - Page 4
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #61 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,731
Representing:
Default

Trade oldest serving Raptor.. who is playing best ball of his career and even defending ok... who makes our scrub players look ok on offense.. and who is a great guy and teammate.
The only reason to do it would be threat of imminent hamstring injury

Hoping to replace him from the draft is daft. Look how well Wshington and Cleveland are doing with best drafted PGs.
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 AM   #62 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,240
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty.py View Post
Hoping to replace him from the draft is daft. Look how well Wshington and Cleveland are doing with best drafted PGs.
Hoping to replace him in the draft could be a bad idea because there are not many, if any, really top notch PG prospects in the 2012 draft (at least from what I've heard). We don't even know if guys like Teague will declare. If a Wall or Irving were available, you're damn right I'd want one of them over Jose.

The way you're making your point is weak.

1 - Wall is in a toxic environment. Few young players would thrive in that situation. A player of his ability might look entirely different playing in Toronto under Casey. We don't have douches like Blatche and McGee on our roster.

2- dude, you are soooooo off-base trying to use Cleveland to make your point. Kyrie Irving is playing fucking great right now. Cleveland has very little for Kyrie to work with, yet the Cavs are still tied for 8th. Kyrie is getting better each week. Cleveland's future looks bright.

I'm really surprised by how Kyrie is flying under the radar. In another thread a kid is making it sound like he'd be lucky to make the all-star team more than once. WTF? What league are you guys watching?
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #63 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,362
Representing:
Default

heck, I know Bayless has played good in last couple games, but geesh! Just like that eh?
Toby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #64 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,362
Representing:
Default

Knicks are DESPERATE for an assist man. If they make an offer for Jose, you should make them pay dearly with draft picks, cash, and free dates with the Kardashians or something.
Toby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #65 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,843
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
Don't Forget JV is coming next season, and to build his confidence we must have a PG who can play, pick n roll well. I think Calderon would compliment JV's game and would help him to adjust to nba
Caldy would, but if we had Nash here for JV's first season, that would just be amazing
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #66 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,019
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Knicks are DESPERATE for an assist man. If they make an offer for Jose, you should make them pay dearly with draft picks, cash, and free dates with the Kardashians or something.
They could care less about picks and cash so paying dearly is overstated there. Lol

I just don't know what we'd get fron NY that we'd want? Fields?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #67 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,150
Representing:
Default

Do the Knicks even have any draft picks to trade?
Northern Neighbour is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #68 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,992
Representing:
Default

I somehow feel that the "sources" that produced this "rumor" boil down to some Calderon hater grasping at his quote about "winning something"...

Quote:
The Raptors are not shopping Jose Calderon, but would be open to trading him in the right deal, sources say.
Oh, really? And what player on this team is this not applicable to? As in, wouldn't they trade Bargs in a right deal? Davis? DeRozan? Sure they would.

Much ado about nothing.
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #69 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,667
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
I'm really surprised by how Kyrie is flying under the radar. In another thread a kid is making it sound like he'd be lucky to make the all-star team more than once. WTF? What league are you guys watching?
thing is ,he looked really bad in both games against us and who in their right mind watches the cavs unless they play us?
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #70 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,667
Representing:
Default

calderon is gone if we get any decent offer
it's not as much jose as his salary, we could do a lot more with those 9 million in free agency. We have the money to offer a max salary if need be this summer, or two large contracts. For example, depending on how we position ourselves, we could sign tony parker and wilson chandler by waiving jose.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #71 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

I heard a rumour at work today about Jose and Davis being sent to NJ for Deron.... wait, I started the rumour, but a man can dream!
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #72 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,719
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
calderon is gone if we get any decent offer
it's not as much jose as his salary, we could do a lot more with those 9 million in free agency. We have the money to offer a max salary if need be this summer, or two large contracts. For example, depending on how we position ourselves, we could sign tony parker and wilson chandler by waiving jose.
I don't know about Parker. Great season so far, but with some signs of being very ineffective when the legs start to go on him. It could be Mark Jackson all over again.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #73 (permalink)
emo
in Cap City.

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
Representing:
Default

I think the Knicks are going to see how Baron does before thinking about other moves.

As for Jose, I have a soft spot for pass-first PGs. I think in a case like this where he's opened the door to being moved to a contender, you approach him and ask what he'd like. If you can get a good deal while putting him somewhere he's OK with, then it's win-win.
emo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #74 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Knicks are DESPERATE for an assist man. If they make an offer for Jose, you should make them pay dearly with draft picks, cash, and free dates with the Kardashians or something.
they may be desperate for an assist man, but melo doesn't care for 1, he just wants the ball in his hands
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #75 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,843
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

Lol, chauncey and Melo played well together didnt they? Cald can give the ball to melo and get 15 assists a game
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #76 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,667
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
I don't know about Parker. Great season so far, but with some signs of being very ineffective when the legs start to go on him. It could be Mark Jackson all over again.
I don't want parker either, he's too old for our team. But just saying, we could upgrade the team big time with that kind of money. I think lowry is a rfa, we could go after him instead.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #77 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,199
Representing:
Default

Leave Caldy alone!

LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #78 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,240
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I don't want parker either, he's too old for our team. But just saying, we could upgrade the team big time with that kind of money. I think lowry is a rfa, we could go after him instead.
Parker's younger than Jose, although he has lots of mileage on his legs. Tony still has a little in the tank. But I'm guessing you mean he is too old to grow with our team; Parker's game would be dropping off as our younger players are at their peak. If that's what you mean, I can see your point.

I think Houston would match a lot of offers for Lowry. A team might have to really overspend to get him.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time figuring out how the Raps will get a good, young poing guard (or PG prospect) in the next year. I could see the Raps stealing a guy like George Hill, if B.C overpays and Indiana wants to keep money available for an FA this summer. Or I can see B.C either rolling with Jose next year or having to make a move for a guy like Parker if he insists on making some kind of splash (even if it's a baby splash). I don't see anything sexy happening at the PG spot in the next year or so. I hope I'm wrong.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #79 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,667
Representing:
Default

plus parker is the type of player who really needs his quickness to be effective
and let's face it, we should always analyze any potential FA by how good they'll be in 2-3 years, not now.

the smart choice would be to try to steal an RFA without overpaying and otherwise stay low for another season. We just don't have enough assets to be going after FAs. The only problem is the one year remaining on BC and especially DC's contracts, they might feel the pressure to make the playoffs now.

If we are to spend 18-20 millions, I don't think it matters if we overpay one player because we're not going to have cap space for a long time anyway. However, that one player should be:

1. all-star calibre
2. young
3. healthy
4. fill a need or be a clear upgrade

The biggest issue is that even if we get lowry and chandler, a team of lowry/derozan/chandler/bargnani/JV with ed/draft pick/amir/bayless/jj is not winning any titles. They could be good, 50+ wins good in 2-3 years, but there's no stud on that team.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #80 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,799
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
plus parker is the type of player who really needs his quickness to be effective
and let's face it, we should always analyze any potential FA by how good they'll be in 2-3 years, not now.

the smart choice would be to try to steal an RFA without overpaying and otherwise stay low for another season. We just don't have enough assets to be going after FAs. The only problem is the one year remaining on BC and especially DC's contracts, they might feel the pressure to make the playoffs now.

If we are to spend 18-20 millions, I don't think it matters if we overpay one player because we're not going to have cap space for a long time anyway. However, that one player should be:

1. all-star calibre
2. young
3. healthy
4. fill a need or be a clear upgrade

The biggest issue is that even if we get lowry and chandler, a team of lowry/derozan/chandler/bargnani/JV with ed/draft pick/amir/bayless/jj is not winning any titles. They could be good, 50+ wins good in 2-3 years, but there's no stud on that team.
I think that team in 2-3 years would be able to advance far into the playoffs depending on how the guys develop.
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24