So, are we on the right track?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,880
Representing:
Raptors So, are we on the right track?

Just wondering how everyone is feeling about how we're doing in the rebuild process so far? Is everyone thinking we're headed in the right direction and that this is being done properly?

Will the young talent of Bayless, Derozan, JJ, Davis, Amir, Jonas + 2012 top 10 pick eventually become a solid core? IMO, considering we're essentially 12months into a rebuild (give or take), the young talent looks pretty good and promising. BC seems comitted to doing it right and showing patience. Are you satisfied with where the team is at this point? Myself, i haven't been this excited in years.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
some creepy guy

Senior Member
 
MARTYNAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: far far away
Posts: 1,445
Representing:
Default

I think Raptors is one the best young teams. Jonas and Ed looks promising, DeRozan play better and better. PG/SF positions looks not filled, but I kinda like Bayless, I believe he can be a solid starter and Linas, Johnson at 3 is not too bad... Johnson is young, it was only his sophomore season.
MARTYNAS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rob Ford's dopeman.

Senior Member
 
Febreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anywhere there's Internet
Posts: 2,845
Representing:
Default

Draft Barnes and/or Kabongo in 2012, I don't trust Bayless with the team... just yet.

Pipedream Team

Kabongo
DD
Barnes
Davis
Jonas

Either one of Myck or Harrison would be a major speedboost in rebuilding, hopefully the target of making the playoffs is 2012-2013, 6th or 7th side ideally.
Febreezy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
eating

Member
 
brianso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: T Dot
Posts: 141
Representing:
Default

I'm hoping so badly that Casey can turn JJ into that super pest defender at the 3. I think he has it in him!
brianso is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
and that's the bottom line, cause JV said so!!!

This is how U(jiri) do it
 
Carlos Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 3,924
Representing:
Default

Here the steps to returning to the playoffs:

1) Sign a center sometime between now and whenever it is we play again.
2) Either finish in the bottom ten, or if by some miracle we don't, trade for a pick.
3) Draft a point guard. Preferably Kabongo.
4) ???????
5) Profit (or playoffs).
Carlos Danger is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
waiting for the Masai-a

on ihateus
 
Torontosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria, home of the Nash-ites
Posts: 3,690
Representing:
Default

Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Will the young talent of Bayless, Derozan, JJ, Davis, Amir, Jonas + 2012 top 10 pick eventually become a solid core? IMO, considering we're essentially 12months into a rebuild (give or take), the young talent looks pretty good and promising. BC seems comitted to doing it right and showing patience. Are you satisfied with where the team is at this point? Myself, i haven't been this excited since the Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show.
Torontosaurus is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
Aamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 4,483
Representing:
Default

BC has done everything perfectly to rebuild this club.

Young legitimate talent(a lot of it)

A lot of flexibility and cap space

New defensive minded championship coach

Solid draft selections last 3 years, with one more coming up in an unbelievably stacked draft


Just get rid of Calderon and possibly Bargs to end that "era".
Aamir is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
threes and free throws

Senior Member
 
Metallikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,058
Representing:
Default

Watch out guys, if we sign a decent centre for next season we might make the playoffs.
Metallikid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,000
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Just wondering how everyone is feeling about how we're doing in the rebuild process so far? Is everyone thinking we're headed in the right direction and that this is being done properly?

Will the young talent of Bayless, Derozan, JJ, Davis, Amir, Jonas + 2012 top 10 pick eventually become a solid core? IMO, considering we're essentially 12months into a rebuild (give or take), the young talent looks pretty good and promising. BC seems comitted to doing it right and showing patience. Are you satisfied with where the team is at this point? Myself, i haven't been this excited in years.
great to hear such positivity from you jeff!

new to this forum and we've disagreed on a few things so far but our overall view is similar. I've only been watching raps games for a season and a half now (been following scores and stats since i visited canada in '06,) so last season wasn't quite as soul destroying for me as for others. I was frustrated by the long losing streak (14 games?) sure, but seeing players grow through the season was very exciting and i think the future is bright.

absolutely fascinated to see what casey will achieve with this bunch. Whilst jay was not everyone's cup of tea, i think he had a nice manner with the players, perhaps a little soft, but then if casey is too tough with them which D orientated coaches sometimes are, that doesn't always work well with young guys. I'm hopeful casey will be an improvement though and i just hope next season happens!
LKeet6 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
fresh n' spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: mississauga
Posts: 998
Representing:
Default

i think the rebuild is going great but it will still be a long process before the Raptors have a shot at being championship contenders . My main concern is because of the long process of rebuilding i dont see how ed davis and demar derozan are going to want to stay in toronto its happened to often in the past were superstars have left toronto. So when derozan becomes a free agent and lets say a contender is interested in signing him he will obviously want to go their and then the Raptors are back to square one with the rebuilding process.
fresh n' spicy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
is waiting

Senior Member
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,239
Representing:
Default

If we trade Bargs and Caldy then yeah. Those guys are just hindering the development of our other players. Ed Davis in particular, should he not get the minutes he thinks he deserve, he might want to leave. I see breakout years for both Ed and Bayless next year but if they don't play....
Blaze is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,880
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
If we trade Bargs and Caldy then yeah. Those guys are just hindering the development of our other players. Ed Davis in particular, should he not get the minutes he thinks he deserve, he might want to leave. I see breakout years for both Ed and Bayless next year but if they don't play....

Couldn't agree more. Bayless will certainly be playing which has been said. But Davis on the other hand might be a bit more of an issue. I have a feeling though that if Bargs stays, One of Davis or Amir will be the back up PF the other will be the backup Center to whoever is brought in a our starting Center. If Davis can put on significant weight maybe that's him (Center).
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

who knows. I think we have some good talent, but i don't think we'll see much of a change on the court barring some miraculous impact of the new coaching staff.

As of now we have exactly the same roster that we had last season where we had one of our worst seasons in franchise history. So... do i think we can push for a playoff spot? HELL NO. But i do think we have some good pieces moving forward so all is not lost.

The biggest question will be how much of an impact the coaching change will have. And that, i have no idea.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
@ www.raptorman.ca

RF Affiliate

 
Raptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,237
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Raptorman
Default

All the young players have to stay with us due to their rookie contracts. Do they believe in the Raptors?

Most telling sign that we have become "relevant" again is when a young player resigns with us. Until then, we are just developing players for the real teams that matter.
Raptorman is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
is waiting

Senior Member
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,239
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Couldn't agree more. Bayless will certainly be playing which has been said. But Davis on the other hand might be a bit more of an issue. I have a feeling though that if Bargs stays, One of Davis or Amir will be the back up PF the other will be the backup Center to whoever is brought in a our starting Center. If Davis can put on significant weight maybe that's him (Center).
Maybe temporally Davis can play center till JV comes but honestly I want him to play as a PF. Having both a defensive center and power forward will always lead to success.
Blaze is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,880
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
who knows. I think we have some good talent, but i don't think we'll see much of a change on the court barring some miraculous impact of the new coaching staff.

As of now we have exactly the same roster that we had last season where we had one of our worst seasons in franchise history. So... do i think we can push for a playoff spot? HELL NO. But i do think we have some good pieces moving forward so all is not lost.

The biggest question will be how much of an impact the coaching change will have. And that, i have no idea.

If we were healthy last season we likely win 30 games (ie: Reggie 3 month injury, Kleiza missing 60 games). But the roster as is won't be what we'll have going into next season. We have 3-4 spots open and since we didn't offer QO to Wright/Dorsey and both Casey and BC have said some additions will be made. Not saying we'll be a playoff team, but we should be closer. What excites me though is that next year at this time we should have more capspace, another lottery pick and Jonas will be coming over. All things that are vital to this team going forward.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Moderator

 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 10,312
Representing:
Default

a couple of nice pieces moving forward, but i honestly think this team will lose a LOT again next year

key word for Raptor management and it's fanbase for the next 2 years is ...

Patience
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
If we were healthy last season we likely win 30 games (ie: Reggie 3 month injury, Kleiza missing 60 games). But the roster as is won't be what we'll have going into next season. We have 3-4 spots open and since we didn't offer QO to Wright/Dorsey and both Casey and BC have said some additions will be made. Not saying we'll be a playoff team, but we should be closer. What excites me though is that next year at this time we should have more capspace, another lottery pick and Jonas will be coming over. All things that are vital to this team going forward.
If you are expecting a lottery pick, then there is no point in being close (or closer) to the playoffs (which i don't think will really happen, but i digress).

As for the original question as to whether we're on the right track, who really knows? We got a great draft pick, but he won't play next year. We got a new coach who should be good, but is inexperienced as a HC. And then the rest of the players are the same. Based on that, we're pretty much at the same position as we were last year.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,880
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mxyzptlk View Post
a couple of nice pieces moving forward, but i honestly think this team will lose a LOT again next year

key word for Raptor management and it's fanbase for the next 2 years is ...

Patience
They'll lose less then this season. The thing is, if we go and get a Gasol, Chandler, Dalembert type of Center and add a good SF we would win 30+ imo and possibly challenge for 8th. We have to see who the 3-4 new players coming in via trade/FA will be to try and predict what we might do. An NBA team can be turned in the right direction fairly quickly. We're a year into a rebuild and if the right pieces are brought in with our capspace we can compete nightly as long as we can improve defensively.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,880
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
If you are expecting a lottery pick, then there is no point in being close (or closer) to the playoffs (which i don't think will really happen, but i digress).

As for the original question as to whether we're on the right track, who really knows? We got a great draft pick, but he won't play next year. We got a new coach who should be good, but is inexperienced as a HC. And then the rest of the players are the same. Based on that, we're pretty much at the same position as we were last year.
We are currently yes. But with 3+ roster spots open and us apparently going after a Center we certainly won't have the same roster going into the next season, so i suppose we should just see what our roster looks like whenever the next season comes around. But really, my OP wasn't about next season it was are we on the right track going forward for the future with the young pieces we have Jonas included.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24