Slam online: Raptors resurgence - Page 4
Old 01-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #61 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,759
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Not if they had won.
key word, if. look at ny now.
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #62 (permalink)
A True Diamond In The Rough

Senior Member
 
The Diamond Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 2,645
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
I disagree. Bosh was good here but never a franchise player. Also, I am not so sure that DD is a tier below Bosh. Around the league you have the LBJs the Wades, the KDs and George is getting there as well, and then you have the rest, all-stars even but not in the same level, but how many LBJ and KDs this league has? Not too many.
Pretty much spot on
The Diamond Scorpion is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #63 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,618
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Yeah, a treadmill of 50 wins every year would be awful.
Because this season is totally an accurate representation of what the NBA will look like for the next 3 years, right?
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #64 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Because this season is totally an accurate representation of what the NBA will look like for the next 3 years, right?
Most other teams in the East won't improve next season too.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #65 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,759
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Because this season is totally an accurate representation of what the NBA will look like for the next 3 years, right?
Dude as much as people want to push aside everything for this winning stretch, Koolaid has legit points...
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #66 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Dude as much as people want to push aside everything for this winning stretch, Koolaid has legit points...
Yes he does but they're usually dismissed unfortunately.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #67 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,696
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Because this season is totally an accurate representation of what the NBA will look like for the next 3 years, right?
I have no idea what that has to do with winning 50 games every year. Why would any season be an accurate representation of anything other than itself? Are you going beyond engineering a championship team and moving onto engineering the whole future history of the game of basketball? Honestly, watching some good games is just about enough for me, so you are going way over my head.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #68 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,696
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Dude as much as people want to push aside everything for this winning stretch, Koolaid has legit points...
Push aside everything? You dudes are in so deep it isn't funny.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #69 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,872
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Because this season is totally an accurate representation of what the NBA will look like for the next 3 years, right?
Actually, some of the crappy teams will get no better than us through the draft, since they will also make the playoffs. For example, two of Cleveland, Charlotte and Detroit will make the playoffs, and likely stay crappy.

On top of that, even though other teams will get better through new acquisitions, so will we. So, yes, LX's point about us treading at 50 wins is not that far-fetched.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #70 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,696
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Yes he does but they're usually dismissed unfortunately.
It is a travesty that you only go as far as giving him +100000000000000000

What's up with not ever offering 10 to the power of 10 million?
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #71 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,301
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
You assume wrong.

First, you're forgetting Hansbrough and Hayes still on the bench next year. So, the frontcourt back-ups are the same.
no, they would be not - my understanding is that Tyler has a PO for next season, which he will almost certainly not exercise. And I doubt we'd be able to resign him on another one-year contract. Hayes is next to useless, I would place him int he same category with fields and stone.
Quote:
Second, we're winning right now with Vazquez playing quite shitty. Stone might not be that much worse than Vazquez; he might even be better in a different type of way, actually. Lowry is going to play 35 MPG at PG, no doubt.
you can't seriously compare vasquez with stone - they're worlds apart. One is an nba player and the other is d-league material. At least vasquez can hit the 3 now and then, and can get to the rim and pass the ball. Stone can do only one thing, defend. And that is not very useful against bench guys - his only role in the nba is a specialist defender playing 5-6 minutes in the 4th quarter in important games against a hot PG/SG, not a guy you rely to give you 15-20mpg night in and night out.

Quote:
Third, if Salmons goes - and that's not necessary to create cap space for summer 2015 because he'll expire anyway - then Fields will be a drop off. But Fields did some nice things at point forward, as much as it pains me to say it. I liked hating on him, but he is not totally useless, although a drop-off. But...
I think we would need the cap space he creates to implement Dan's scheme, because it requires us to have cap space before the end of the season, at least in my interpretation.

Quote:
Lastly, as always, you forget, or simply choose to ignore the impact of the internal improvement our our good young players. And I should probably have started with this point since I think it's very important, you need to remember that the starting lineup will continue to get better and make up for some of the shortcomings with the bench. Ross is barely playing 30 minutes per game right now. If we lost Salmons (which again, doesn't have to happen to preserve the 2015 space), Ross would take some of his minutes and probably go up to 36 minutes per game, limiting the amount of time Fields needs to play. When you have five really good starters, you just need to be good at staggering minutes if the bench is not that good.
yes, because obviously the only young players who improve are ours, everybody else's will stagnate or regress. We only have two young players on our roster, compare that with pretty much everybody else within 4-5 wins of us, from Philly, Orlando and Boston to Detroit and Washington and Charlotte.They have at least 2, sometimes as much as 5 young players, so by your logic, they would improve even more.

Also, you are forgetting the fact that this season, a lot of teams are trying hard NOT to win, that won't happen next season. We're trying to win and Orlando is trying to lose, and we still have only 5 wins more then they have ... And they will add a very high quality player next summer, whoever they draft.

I am constantly surprised by this hyper-optimistic view that we are so good that we basically can't lose. We don't even need a bench apparently. Maybe a reality check is in order -we are still a .500 team, maybe on pace to become a .600 team, but that's still to be proven. We have had, by far, the least amount of injuries, including 0 games to our starters. This may continue, but most likely will not. Maybe we'll survive losing lowry or amir for 10 games, we'll see how it will go.

Quote:
You're so silly for thinking that losing Vazquez and Salmons would take us from playoff team to lottery. That's essentially what you're saying, and we might not even need to lose Salmons, since he would be expiring for summer 2015 if we guaranteed his contract next year. Stop and think about your post, dude.
um, again, you talk like we're miami heat. Yes, we will be a playoff team, maybe even the 3rd seed. I could point out to you that we were the 3rd seed in '07, improved our bench in the off season and still almost missed the playoffs the next season. That was a very similar situation, a lot of teams were trying to tank for oden or were going to through big time injuries.
Quote:
Is Vazquez so much better than Stone, and Salmons so much better than Fields, that having to play those two guys off the bench would cause us to "tank". Really? REALLY? And for the millionth time, we don't even need to lose Salmons. So, really it might just be Stone over Vazquez.
yes and yes - disputing that is silly. Now, maybe we can keep salmons and tyler, that would be quite a difference. Still, you're weakening a middling team where (almost) everybody else will improve theirs. To expect not to lose at least a few more games is what's silly. IMHO, of course.

Think about this for a minute: next year Chicago will add Rose, Boston will add a high pick and Rondo and whoever else they sign with their massive cap space and Atlanta will add Horford. That's three teams that may finish behind us this season and will make a MASSIVE jump. So you're almost certainly down to 6th spot. Then you have the Wizards with wall, beal and porter - three players liable to improve just as much as ours + they will probably get a good coach which should make some difference. Cleveland has added deng and have irving, waiters, bennett. Orlando already has a very nice core, will add another high lottery pick and probably spend their cap space to complete their rebuilding. Even NY and NJ can't be totally dismissed, they look bad now, but they're still loaded with stars and they may turn around (they're already playing much better and are not that far behind us).

We are a good story now and people feel unreasonably optimistic. I'm enjoying the ride for now, but I think even if we spend all our money this summer, it will be a struggle to reach 50 wins next season. If we actually shed contracts, I'd be shocked if we win 40.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #72 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
It is a travesty that you only go as far as giving him +100000000000000000

What's up with not ever offering 10 to the power of 10 million?
A) When was the last time I did that?

B) Why do you always bother me for ever doing that?

C) God forbid if I ever made a spelling error as well because you'd be quick to point it out.

D) Many of the times he's made legitimate points they've been given many thumbs down and/or people will revert to saying that a point he's made is invalid because he had/has supported the notion of tanking, even in the case where the point has nothing to do with said notion.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #73 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,301
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Most other teams in the East won't improve next season too.
obviously not - and probably rose, rondo and horford will get injured again like westbrook and kobe, only Toronto is indestructible.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #74 (permalink)
Fuck the Nets

Banging thai girls now.
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 365
Representing:
Default

You know, I have been a Raptors fan since the start of this franchise, the season we played Sixers in the playoff, I attended almost all the games here in Toronto. I have never been optimistic after the departure of Carter, but for the first time, I see this team going in the right direction.
Our new GM made an amazing trade in a wink of an eye that helped alot to improve this team. On the other hand, you can not deny that the weakness of the east helped us to a great deal of extent to look the way we look now.
Another crucial point that must be considered is we do not need to be carried away by our playing right now, as it is too early to evaluate the team, but if both Ross and JV can play up to their real talent, I think this team will be a huge surprise in the playoff.
I just pray that God keeps us away from any injury.
RaptorsVictim is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #75 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorsVictim View Post
I just pray that God keeps us away from any injury.
Been very lucky without long-term/key injuries thus far.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #76 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,696
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
A) When was the last time I did that?

B) Why do you always bother me for ever doing that?

C) God forbid if I ever made a spelling error as well because you'd be quick to point it out.

D) Many of the times he's made legitimate points they've been given many thumbs down and/or people will revert to saying that a point he's made is invalid because he had/has supported the notion of tanking, even in the case where the point has nothing to do with said notion.
Just funnin' with ya. And i don't care about spelling errors.

I wasn't the one that thumbed you down either. But it doesn't mean anything. I have no idea why you are being so sensitive about such things.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #77 (permalink)
Fuck the Nets

Banging thai girls now.
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 365
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Been very lucky without long-term/key injuries thus far.
True
RaptorsVictim is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #78 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,460
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
"Pointless wins".... yeah.... I don't know why teams like POR, HOU, GSW, IND and OKC even bother trying... I mean they're just going to end up losing to MIA in the end right? And if you're not 1st you're LAST! If they were smart they'd blow it up and tank!
Fucking eh brother...
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #79 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,460
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Yup, I was in the process constantly of accepting watching Bargnani play for countless seasons with an inept GM and knowing his motives, definitely meant that I didn't have to like it either.
The irony of this post is you guys are the "Bargnani fans" in this instance.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #80 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Just funnin' with ya. And i don't care about spelling errors.

I wasn't the one that thumbed you down either. But it doesn't mean anything. I have no idea why you are being so sensitive about such things.
Fair enough but it just boggles the mind that you always, always bring it up. You have before.

Um, what are you talking about? In my post I'm referring to KoolAid's post(s) and if you are referring to the thumbs down I received for my response to you I couldn't care less.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24