Simmons' take on the Fields deal - Page 2
Old 07-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Fields is fine, you dickwerms having a hissy fit over hi contract need to settle the hell down, it aint your money, who cares. As for it "hurting our chances of signing another guy" holy shit, shut the fuck up, it doesnt at all, not one bit.

Who again were the Raptors gonna sign again???? Ya thats what I thought, fucking NOBODY so shut it. this sucks, you guys suck
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,518
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Fields is fine, you dickwerms having a hissy fit over hi contract need to settle the hell down, it aint your money, who cares. As for it "hurting our chances of signing another guy" holy shit, shut the fuck up, it doesnt at all, not one bit.

Who again were the Raptors gonna sign again???? Ya thats what I thought, fucking NOBODY so shut it. this sucks, you guys suck
BUT IT BLOCKED OUR CHANCEZZ AT BRANDON RUSH!!??!!!

Dark Knight is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

well good, cuz he sucks too, and the 14 million bucks they needed to sign him, well that also sucks
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 128
Representing:
Default

Fields played college basketball for Stanford University, and had immediate impact as a freshman, playing 14 minutes per game off the bench. Steadily improving his numbers every year, Fields went into his senior year as one of the top returning players in the Pac-10.

Fields finished his senior season leading the Pac-10 in scoring and rebounding, despite playing primarily as a shooting guard and small forward. He was named to the All-Pac-10 first team. His average of 22 points per game was also good enough for eighth in the nation overall in scoring.
snark is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob23 View Post
Fields was a 4 year senior when he was drafted, he won't show us anything we haven't already seen from him.. terrible ball handler, makes bad decisions, inconsistent shooter, cannot create
So essentially because he went to school for 4 years it's impossible for him to improve any part of his game.

Oh yeah, and we should also discount his stellar rookie season. It was just a fluke.

Cool.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,880
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Oh yeah for sure I'd rather have Iggy, it's just that BC decided to go with Fields instead and ignored the 76ers on a deal for Iggy like he had a choice.
No need to be snide, I do understand that. BC can only do what he's offered and if it makes sense. I can still be disappointed even though I do like Fields as a player.
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,880
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Fields is fine, you dickwerms having a hissy fit over hi contract need to settle the hell down, it aint your money, who cares. As for it "hurting our chances of signing another guy" holy shit, shut the fuck up, it doesnt at all, not one bit.

Who again were the Raptors gonna sign again???? Ya thats what I thought, fucking NOBODY so shut it. this sucks, you guys suck
Always to the fucking point
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 483
Representing:
Default

The definitive statements about Fields are hilarious. We're hoping he reverts back to his rookie form. But we can't just say "Melo's fault he'll be good now". There's a chance that's true, but it's not the sure thing some are making it out to be. Great to be hopeful, but stop acting like it's a sure thing.

There's no way around the fact that in the third year, he'll be one of the most overpaid players in the entire NBA. You can say "it's not my money" but that sounds like an argument a 4th grader would make. There's this thing called a salary cap. We have to operate within its parameters, so yes, it will have a negative consequence for this team, whether you're paying for it or not. Whether we can sign big FA's or not, it affects our ability to make moves in general.

I hope he plays up to our highest expectations, but at this point it's no more than educated guessing.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
The definitive statements about Fields are hilarious. We're hoping he reverts back to his rookie form. But we can't just say "Melo's fault he'll be good now". There's a chance that's true, but it's not the sure thing some are making it out to be. Great to be hopeful, but stop acting like it's a sure thing.

There's no way around the fact that in the third year, he'll be one of the most overpaid players in the entire NBA. You can say "it's not my money" but that sounds like an argument a 4th grader would make. There's this thing called a salary cap. We have to operate within its parameters, so yes, it will have a negative consequence for this team, whether you're paying for it or not. Whether we can sign big FA's or not, it affects our ability to make moves in general.

I hope he plays up to our highest expectations, but at this point it's no more than educated guessing.

Uhhhhh...... what?

Let me just throw some players at you here....

Joe Johnson: $19.0M next season
Rudy Gay: $16.5M next season
Ben Gordon: $12.4M next season
Hedo Turkoglu: $11.8M next season
Corey Maggette $10.9M next season
Marvin Williams: $8.3M next season
John Salmons: $8.1 M next season
Thaddeus Young: $8.0M next season

And I'll throw a few bigs in too...

Carlos Boozer: $15.0M next season
Brook Lopez: $13.6M next season
Anderson Varejao: $8.4M next season
Brendan Haywood: $8.3M next season
Tyrus Thomas: $8.1M next season


And you wanna complain about Fields costing us $6.6M over 3 years?
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,975
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
The definitive statements about Fields are hilarious. We're hoping he reverts back to his rookie form. But we can't just say "Melo's fault he'll be good now". There's a chance that's true, but it's not the sure thing some are making it out to be. Great to be hopeful, but stop acting like it's a sure thing.

There's no way around the fact that in the third year, he'll be one of the most overpaid players in the entire NBA. You can say "it's not my money" but that sounds like an argument a 4th grader would make. There's this thing called a salary cap. We have to operate within its parameters, so yes, it will have a negative consequence for this team, whether you're paying for it or not. Whether we can sign big FA's or not, it affects our ability to make moves in general.

I hope he plays up to our highest expectations, but at this point it's no more than educated guessing.
holy god damn it! there is no high third year! he is getting something like 6.66 million every year. the poison pill would have affected NY only, it does NOT affect us. 6.66 for a young player with a lot to prove who's also a two way player and has a great rook year under his belt? I'm not seeing the wrong here, UNLESS it shows that we missed signing someone else, which it seems we didn't so.... calm the heck down!
pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 483
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Uhhhhh...... what?

Let me just throw some players at you here....

Joe Johnson: $19.0M next season
Rudy Gay: $16.5M next season
Ben Gordon: $12.4M next season
Hedo Turkoglu: $11.8M next season
Corey Maggette $10.9M next season
Marvin Williams: $8.3M next season
John Salmons: $8.1 M next season
Thaddeus Young: $8.0M next season

And I'll throw a few bigs in too...

Carlos Boozer: $15.0M next season
Brook Lopez: $13.6M next season
Anderson Varejao: $8.4M next season
Brendan Haywood: $8.3M next season
Tyrus Thomas: $8.1M next season


And you wanna complain about Fields costing us $6.6M over 3 years?
I meant only his final year salary. But just off that list I would take Thad Young Varajeo or Gay at their salaries over Fields at 9. I'd take Young or Varajeo at 8 over Fields at 6.6 I'm pretty sure too.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 483
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
holy god damn it! there is no high third year! he is getting something like 6.66 million every year. the poison pill would have affected NY only, it does NOT affect us. 6.66 for a young player with a lot to prove who's also a two way player and has a great rook year under his belt? I'm not seeing the wrong here, UNLESS it shows that we missed signing someone else, which it seems we didn't so.... calm the heck down!
If that's the case I'm mistaken then. Don't think I could have been any calmer about it though.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,518
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I meant only his final year salary. But just off that list I would take Thad Young Varajeo or Gay at their salaries over Fields at 9. I'd take Young or Varajeo at 8 over Fields at 6.6 I'm pretty sure too.
I think you have been misinformed, my friend. Landry's contract is straight 6 million + change for the whole 3 years. "Poison pill" only affected New York.
Dark Knight is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,969
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I think you have been misinformed, my friend. Landry's contract is straight 6 million + change for the whole 3 years. "Poison pill" only affected New York.
exactly. same with the jeremy lin's contract. Our cap hit is about 6.3 mil per year, if i am not mistaken.
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I meant only his final year salary. But just off that list I would take Thad Young Varajeo or Gay at their salaries over Fields at 9. I'd take Young or Varajeo at 8 over Fields at 6.6 I'm pretty sure too.
Both of these guys have also been in the league for 5+ seasons compared to Fields' 2.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #37 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,672
Representing:
Default

fields is not worth 6 million, there's no sane person who would argue that imo.
He was signed to that contract purely to make it hard for NYK to go after nash
we probably liked him, but without the whole nash scenario, not sure we try to get him

that being said, if we did like him, given that he was an RFA, we had to overpay, it's the only way to steal an RFA. Had we offered 4/yr, they would have matched.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #38 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

every team has at least 1 overpaid player and in order to get an RFA you have to overpay or the other will just match the offer
and everyone knows in order to get someone to sign in Toronto they have to overpay because they can't sell you on the team or the country
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #39 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,799
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
fields is not worth 6 million, there's no sane person who would argue that imo.
He was signed to that contract purely to make it hard for NYK to go after nash
we probably liked him, but without the whole nash scenario, not sure we try to get him

that being said, if we did like him, given that he was an RFA, we had to overpay, it's the only way to steal an RFA. Had we offered 4/yr, they would have matched.
complaining about signing Fields for 6m a year is like complaining about buying that funnel cake at Wonderland. It was more than pricey at about 10 dollars, but where else are ya gonna get something like it?

Fields is a great signing. Besides, it won't break your pocket. 10 bucks is 10 bucks.
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
is waiting

Senior Member
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,239
Representing:
Default

I have a feeling Fields is going to pick up this year. He struggled last year because of Melo, he's actually too smart a player to not pick it up. That contract seems ludicrous for his numbers last year but for two years ago, it's just a little overpaid.
Blaze is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24