SI: Raptors future lies with Bargnani
Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,641
Representing:
SI: Raptors future lies with Bargnani

Quote:
Andrea Bargnani is no replacement for Chris Bosh. Instead, he is seven feet of potential insurance that enables the Toronto Raptors to maintain hope should Bosh leave this summer as a free agent, if not next month in an unlikely midseason trade.

Bargnani was a gifted shot-blocker in Italy and believes he should be doing better in that area. "If you try to go every time, you get better," he said, laughing before criticizing himself. "If you're lazy, you don't go. I'm tall, I've got good timing for the blocked shot. It depends on me, if I'm active or if I'm lazy."

I didn't ask Bargnani about his future without Bosh. But it's clear that he has grown used to high expectations, dating back to his final year in Treviso, when he was a 20-year-old averaging 15.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.7 blocks and 1.8 steals for the Italian league champion. "Every game, every practice, I had the NBA scouts coming and you didn't know what was going to happen, if I was going to come to the NBA," he said. "Two years before the draft, I didn't even know what the draft was."

Chris Bosh aside, Raptors' future*relies on*Andrea Bargnani - Ian Thomsen - SI.com
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

This is gonna be a fun thread!!
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,111
Representing:
Default

It makes sense. If Bosh does leave we have Bargs, we can move him to the 4 and with the money we get from Bosh leaving we can sign a good 2 gaurd and a good center. Hopefully Bosh doesn't leave though
Gurk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

I can't disagree with the hypothesis of this thread. Whether or not Bosh stays, this team will only go so far without Bargnani. He has the potential to be a game changer at his position and working along side Bosh and truly becoming as equal a threat on offence, but even more solid on defence would make a huge difference for this team in terms of taking it to the next level.
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Bargnani is insurance, thats what I said before and thats what he is
I think most people agree with that point
he is improving at the 5 spot

its a fair article
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Bargnani's quote shows growth and maturation. Its a good sign
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is I˝igo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

Thats what I have always said! We will go as far as Bargs goes.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,387
Representing:
Default

I wish we can pair him up with Lopez somehow if Bosh is to be shipped, we would have one hell of a frountcourt and 2 seasons after we might be in contention with Derozan and these two promising prospects we have in the draft.

But if Bosh stayed I would like that too.
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
KABOOOOOOOSHHHH

straight out of COMPTON
 
CB4Real's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,284
Representing:
Default

uhhh no.
CB4Real is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,574
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
It makes sense. If Bosh does leave we have Bargs, we can move him to the 4 and with the money we get from Bosh leaving we can sign a good 2 gaurd and a good center. Hopefully Bosh doesn't leave though
the money we get from Bosh leaving doesn't really push us that far under the cap.

we are currently approx $11 mil over the cap.

our expirings are:
rasho $1.9 mil
pob $1.6 mil
wright $2.1 mil
amir $3.66 mil
bosh $15.8 mil

if we renounce all of these guys (gutting all of our depth in the bigs) we will be approx $14 mil under. that's it.

this is based on a cap of $57.7 mil. If the cap goes down as expected, we're even less under it. If it goes down all the way to $52 mil, that only leaves us $8-9 mil under the cap after renouncing everyone. not a lot to spend on a good big and a 2, and we'd still have no depth at the bigs.

if we re-sign amir for a modest raise, say $5 mil (which we would be very lucky to do, imo), we're at only $4 mil or so leftover in a small cap, or up to $9 mil for a cap that doesn't decrease at all (not too likely).

this hope of letting Bosh go and using his money to sign someone else is a false dream. we don't have the cap room to get anyone decent. our best bet is to do one of the following:

1. dump big salaries (jose or hedo) before the deadline to create more space
2. keep Bosh and all of these guys and trade assets
3. s&t Bosh in the offseason
4. trade Bosh before the deadline to make sure we get something (might be at $0.60 on the dollar)
5. convince a couple of stars to play for $5 mil apiece...
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,111
Representing:
Default

Aw. I thought we would have more money. Also, I never said we should let him go. That was more of a dream scenario if he did
Gurk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
ready to kill these refs

Senior Member
 
RaptorsFan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,277
Representing:
Default

Bargnani is one of our most valuable puzzle pieces, hopefully we can build a good team around him 'if' Chris leaves
RaptorsFan95 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,011
Representing:
Default

If you look at Bargs contract its pretty much a well priced one. Signed at about average of 10.5 mill until 2015 its a very good price for a bigman. Bargs contrac will not hinder this team it will the the band end of Jose's and Hedo's that will
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
the go-to-guy

avatar by F1nir_
 
Mr4thQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,770
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
the money we get from Bosh leaving doesn't really push us that far under the cap.

we are currently approx $11 mil over the cap.

our expirings are:
rasho $1.9 mil
pob $1.6 mil
wright $2.1 mil
amir $3.66 mil
bosh $15.8 mil

if we renounce all of these guys (gutting all of our depth in the bigs) we will be approx $14 mil under. that's it.

this is based on a cap of $57.7 mil. If the cap goes down as expected, we're even less under it. If it goes down all the way to $52 mil, that only leaves us $8-9 mil under the cap after renouncing everyone. not a lot to spend on a good big and a 2, and we'd still have no depth at the bigs.

if we re-sign amir for a modest raise, say $5 mil (which we would be very lucky to do, imo), we're at only $4 mil or so leftover in a small cap, or up to $9 mil for a cap that doesn't decrease at all (not too likely).

this hope of letting Bosh go and using his money to sign someone else is a false dream. we don't have the cap room to get anyone decent. our best bet is to do one of the following:

1. dump big salaries (jose or hedo) before the deadline to create more space
2. keep Bosh and all of these guys and trade assets
3. s&t Bosh in the offseason
4. trade Bosh before the deadline to make sure we get something (might be at $0.60 on the dollar)
5. convince a couple of stars to play for $5 mil apiece...
no argument except that option number 1 would be a good path. As you just showed, the space won't be great (9M plus 10M from Hedo still isn't fantastic) and creating space only makes sense when you let Bosh go. But that would mean no JosÚ no Hedo no Bosh so basicly 26M in space to build around Jack, Demar, Weems and Bargs, not to good of a prospect.

Imo only option 2 is viable (or 3 but that's a variant) as well as variants where you trade assets but not for expirings

p.s. I don't know if Amir is gonna land a 5M deal somewhere but maybe you're right.
Mr4thQuarter is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
a fan of scratching his bare bum and smelling his fingers.

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 427
Representing:
Default

why should we left Bosh walk away. It's inevitable that's he's going let's get the most out of him b4 other teams recognize that he's not worth the max and wont deal in a sign and trade.
osamu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4thQuarter View Post
no argument except that option number 1 would be a good path. As you just showed, the space won't be great (9M plus 10M from Hedo still isn't fantastic) and creating space only makes sense when you let Bosh go. But that would mean no JosÚ no Hedo no Bosh so basicly 26M in space to build around Jack, Demar, Weems and Bargs, not to good of a prospect.

Imo only option 2 is viable (or 3 but that's a variant) as well as variants where you trade assets but not for expirings

p.s. I don't know if Amir is gonna land a 5M deal somewhere but maybe you're right.
Option 1 is admitting to your "Guy" that you want to resign that you desparately failed to add sufficient enough pieces around to have a successful team.

Its like trying and trying to get a girl into bed and then when you finally do the soldier wont salute.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Senior Member
 
The MVP of West Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,129
Representing:
Default

Raptors future lies with ANDREW BYNUM
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
the go-to-guy

avatar by F1nir_
 
Mr4thQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,770
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooch View Post
Option 1 is admitting to your "Guy" that you want to resign that you desparately failed to add sufficient enough pieces around to have a successful team.

Its like trying and trying to get a girl into bed and then when you finally do the soldier wont salute.
yes total rebuild is always an option but if you believe Bosh will go it's not an option to trade JosÚ and Hedo away and then let Bosh expire. That a waste.

You must trade Bosh first then. For whatever is useful for the rebuild.
Mr4thQuarter is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,574
Representing:
Default

did i use enough brain in that post dvs?
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,011
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
did i use enough brain in that post dvs?
Yes its acceptable. Also, my off topic statement about "25 Posts" could be attributed more to others. Their is a fair share of going on in this forum.

YOU know who u are I hope. I also can't say I'm totally innocent
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raptors trade away centre of the future macs Toronto Raptors 22 11-06-2009 05:29 PM
The Sport Count: A Team With No Future - The Toronto Raptors Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 27 09-28-2009 07:25 AM
NBA.com: Raptors Positioned For Future With (or Without) Bosh Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 50 08-10-2009 09:30 PM
Court Surfing: Calderon and Bargnani May Hold Key to Raptors Future Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 8 07-21-2009 01:01 PM
Raptors' Future... BJ.Masters Toronto Raptors 39 03-16-2009 03:06 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24