Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Should we sign Bowen as backup SF? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/should-we-sign-bowen-backup-sf-9842.html)

rapsdabest 08-16-2009 06:28 PM

Should we sign Bowen as backup SF?
 
Quote:

Gregg Popovich believes that Bruce Bowen could fit in with the right team, but it probably won't be the Spurs.

The Bucks waived Bowen at the end of July and the forward is now a free agent.

"He might come back with the right team in the right situation, but it's probably not going to be San Antonio," Popovich said, according to the Boston Globe.
RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Popovich: Bowen Won't Return To Spurs

From my understanding we have around 4-7 mill to spend so why not sign him. He can play D. He's skilled offensively. He's coachable and he's got veteran leadership and championship experience.
If we don't sign him, what happens with our small forward conundrum? Do we force one of our wings to play an unnatural position or do we sign another guy?

Dark Knight 08-16-2009 06:31 PM

I suggested this a couple weeks ago and all I got was, "He's too old."

I think he can help our team out. If not by playing basketball then by the veteran experience and would be a good mentor for the young guys. He would be a better version of what Devean George brought to the table.

BTW, we don't have near 4-7 mill to spend.

rapsdabest 08-16-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 228443)
I suggested this a couple weeks ago and all I got was, "He's too old."

I think he can help our team out. If not by playing basketball then by the veteran experience and would be a good mentor for the young guys. He would be a better version of what Devean George brought to the table.

BTW, we don't have near 4-7 mill to spend.

He can be like Darrick Martin. In his last year in the NBA, he helped with the leadership aspect. No, Bruce Bowen is not too old and he will take a decent contract. The difference between him and Devean George is that Bowen is a contributor on championship teams while George is a benchwarmer. All that's left is to trade Banks for two secound round picks...

Oh and how much money do we have to spend?

Dark Knight 08-16-2009 06:36 PM

None, really. If we sign Pops or Delfino its because we have there bird rights, so it wouldn't count against our cap.

So if we were to sign Bowen, it would be for the league minimum, which is around 1 mill.

rapsdabest 08-16-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 228448)
None, really. If we sign Pops or Delfino its because we have there bird rights, so it wouldn't count against our cap.

So if we were to sign Bowen, it would be for the league minimum, which is around 1 mill.

I think he might consider it. We should trade or waive Banks for more money though. He's a waste of space.

Afghanraptor 08-16-2009 06:41 PM

I say do it sooner than later...I have said this before in a different post..Bruce might not be in his best shape..but he definitely have alot of experience and can share his knowledge with other guys...He can also become an assistant defense coach in the future with raptors...

rapsdabest 08-16-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afghanraptor (Post 228454)
I say do it sooner than later...I have said this before in a different post..Bruce might not be in his best shape..but he definitely have alot of experience and can share his knowledge with other guys...He can also become an assistant defense coach in the future with raptors...

There's no harm in signing a guy like Bowen to a vet's minimum now is there. Now where are all of DK's so-called naysayers?

Afghanraptor 08-16-2009 06:46 PM

1.3 mil
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapsdabest (Post 228456)
There's no harm in signing a guy like Bowen to a vet's minimum now is there. Now where are all of DK's so-called naysayers?

we still have 5 million under the salary cap to sign somebody...bruce will get vet min..which is 1.3 mill...and i think he is worth it...as long as he doesnt get injured..thats the concern..than we have wasted 1.3 for the year...

Dark Knight 08-16-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapsdabest (Post 228456)
There's no harm in signing a guy like Bowen to a vet's minimum now is there. Now where are all of DK's so-called naysayers?

In this thread....

LINK------->http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/bru...ived-9482.html

rapsdabest 08-16-2009 06:48 PM

BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're wrong and Bruce will prove them wrong.

moremilk 08-16-2009 07:39 PM

bowen will not play in the nba this season, at least not before january

jeffb 08-16-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afghanraptor (Post 228458)
we still have 5 million under the salary cap to sign somebody...bruce will get vet min..which is 1.3 mill...and i think he is worth it...as long as he doesnt get injured..thats the concern..than we have wasted 1.3 for the year...

5Mil ? I don't understand how we have 5Mil to spend? We currently have 52Mil + Turkoglu's salary (whatever the amount in the first season?) + Rasho commited to next season, how much does that exactly leave us? From what i can tell that puts us around 63-65Mil.

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Toronto Raptors

Someguy again 08-16-2009 09:22 PM

we need dirt cheap players that are either proven or developing.

Bruce Bowen is neither, he's done.

maltmonger 08-16-2009 10:39 PM

No.

And why would he come to Toronto anyway unless he had no other option? He's pretty much done - he's going to want to spend the little time he has left in the league on a team that has a legit shot to win it all, and that isn't the Raps at this point.

Jakkal 08-17-2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapsdabest (Post 228442)
RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Popovich: Bowen Won't Return To Spurs

From my understanding we have around 4-7 mill to spend so why not sign him. He can play D. He's skilled offensively. He's coachable and he's got veteran leadership and championship experience.
If we don't sign him, what happens with our small forward conundrum? Do we force one of our wings to play an unnatural position or do we sign another guy?

Raptors have spent about $67.5 Mil and the tax level is $69.9 Mil so they have slightly over $2 Mil left. The most they can spend on a free agent is the league minimum which is about $1 Mil.

Rather see them sign an energy player.

MangoKidHoops 08-17-2009 10:01 AM

Bruce Bowen? AT age 38? Yuck. That guy's finished.

Liston 08-17-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapsdabest (Post 228442)
From my understanding we have around 4-7 mill to spend so why not sign him. He can play D. He's skilled offensively. He's coachable and he's got veteran leadership and championship experience.
If we don't sign him, what happens with our small forward conundrum? Do we force one of our wings to play an unnatural position or do we sign another guy?

We can only use the veteran's minimum - and why would you look at Ime Udoka instead, age 31 and had a better season defensively than Bowen. He was paid ~$1m last year. Bowen's defense has declined significantly the last few years (no surprise - its amazing that he's still out there at 38!).

I would like to have a functional player as injuries may force this person to play minutes. No use having effectively another assistant coach wearing a uniform.

B-RAD 08-17-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 228448)
None, really. If we sign Pops or Delfino its because we have there bird rights, so it wouldn't count against our cap.

So if we were to sign Bowen, it would be for the league minimum, which is around 1 mill.

no, you get bird rights if the person has been with your team for three or more years. pops has been with the team for like a month or two.

and i'm pretty sure we have something like 5 million or something before we hit luxury tax. anybody want to correct me?

also, i'm not quite sure on bowen and we have demar and wright who can back up turk. even bellinelli has been said to be able to play the 3.

at this point, I would be looking at pf like joe smith(i think he signed with hotlanta), pops, james singleton, steve novak, rick hendrix, shavlik randolph, maceo baston.

here's the rest of them at the list i'm looking at: Basketball Prospectus | Articles | Free Agency 2009

zachus 08-17-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liston (Post 228701)
I would like to have a functional player as injuries may force this person to play minutes. No use having effectively another assistant coach wearing a uniform.

Exactly. There are guys out there who can help out in the locker room as well as on the basketball court, like Udoka. Your glue / chemistry guy doesn't necessarily have to be the washed up wise Old Man River type.

Rasho is a perfect example - great veteran presence, seasoned player in the league, but can still give you valuable contributions on the floor.

young__baller 08-17-2009 11:21 AM

Bruce Bowen is done. We already have Banks who is upto no good.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24