The Score: Raptors offseason so far
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,914
Representing:
Raptors The Score: Raptors offseason so far

Quote:
Kyle Lowry and Landry Fields were officially introduced to Toronto and to the media on Tuesday afternoon, and theScoreís cameras were there to take it all in.

Considering that the Raptors were rumoured to be eying Lowry around Draft night, despite being heavily interested in Steve Nash, I actually believe Bryan Colangelo when he says acquiring Lowry is something they wanted to do regardless of the Nash sweepstakes. Obviously though, nabbing Kyle became more of a pressing issue once it became clear that Nash wasnít coming.

It was also interesting to hear Colangelo talk about how there will be competition within the team, especially at the point guard spot if Jose Calderon returns. Like most Raptors fans, Iím hoping and expecting Lowry to take the starting job and run with it, but if weíve learned anything from Dwane Casey, itís that he wants his players to earn their roles, so donít expect anything to be written in stone. Also, as Iíve said before, if Calderon sticks around, the Raptors should boast one of the NBAís best point guard combinations this season.

Meanwhile, Fields shows us his sense of humour, talks a little ďLinsanityĒ and discusses his confidence in a once dependable shot that abandoned him last season.

Landry Fields isnít worth six-plus million dollars per season, at least not yet. But if youíve watched him in the past, know his game and know Dwane Caseyís coaching style, you should realize that Fields will fit right in with the Raptors and definitely has the potential for a bounce back season on the offensive end. And thatís exactly what Iím expecting of him.

Plus, who doesnít want more evidence and another reason to blame Carmelo Anthony for ruining everything?

Seriously though, both guys seem to be taking to Toronto quite well. As for Fields, while I doubt anyone sees his contract as a good one right now, try to remember that he didnít pay himself, and at least give him a chance to play a game in a Raptors uniform before assuming heís going to be the most overpaid player in NBA history.

I believe Scott nailed it on the head earlier today when he wrote that heís ďwilling to wait and see how this season plays out before I make any bold proclamations about (Colangeloís) supposed incompetence.Ē

We canít know for certain if Colangelo and company are satisfied with their work already this off-season, but hereís what we do know: Replacing Bayless, Forbes, Johnson, Magloire and Alabi with Lowry, Ross, Fields, Valanciunas and Acy should noticeably improve this team, and if you canít admit that, perhaps youíre as blind and biased as you claim Colangelo and his supporters to be.
Introducing Kyle Lowry and Landry Fields | RaptorBlog | Blogs | theScore.com
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
set adrift on a memory bliss of you.

Reptars
 
AR1815's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 888
Representing:
Default

Pretty spot on, I think. I don't see Jose giving up the starting job very easily. If Jose does start, it'll be interesting to see how Lowry responds. The one thing that turns me off about him is the way he handled the PG situation in Houston. Still hoping we can trade Jose to fill a need, though...
AR1815 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,653
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1815 View Post
Pretty spot on, I think. I don't see Jose giving up the starting job very easily. If Jose does start, it'll be interesting to see how Lowry responds. The one thing that turns me off about him is the way he handled the PG situation in Houston. Still hoping we can trade Jose to fill a need, though...
Lowry is a much better player than Jose. If Jose starts this year it will be because Lowry got injured. Lowrys starting job will never be in jeopardy when healthy, because Jose does nothing better than Lowry besides making wide open midrange shots off of screens at this point.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,914
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1815 View Post
Pretty spot on, I think. I don't see Jose giving up the starting job very easily. If Jose does start, it'll be interesting to see how Lowry responds. The one thing that turns me off about him is the way he handled the PG situation in Houston. Still hoping we can trade Jose to fill a need, though...
I don't blame him for the way he handled things in houston and neither wants to be a backup. Watching today, Lowry doesn't seem like a guy all that worried about Jose. Could it be he was already told he'd be starting? Jose has always been professional but whenever he's been the backup in the past he hasn't been happy and at times has struggled coming off the bench.

Like i said this won't be good for this team and it won't end well if Jose is still here come november.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,653
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Could it be he was already told he'd be starting?
He doesnt need to be told that.

Once fans see Lowry play the first few games next year, they'll laugh at the Jose v Lowry discussion we're having this offseason. I guess we just need something to talk about since the SF position doesnt look like its getting filled.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
and at times has struggled coming off the bench.
he played his best off the bench.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
set adrift on a memory bliss of you.

Reptars
 
AR1815's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 888
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
Lowry is a much better player than Jose. If Jose starts this year it will be because Lowry got injured. Lowrys starting job will never be in jeopardy when healthy, because Jose does nothing better than Lowry besides making wide open midrange shots off of screens at this point.
I'd argue that Jose is also better at running the pick and roll. I don't think either is much better than the other guy, I think they play different games. Lowry's does fit better within the overall system, but with certain guys on the floor, Jose can be more effective. I don't think Jose will start, but I also don't think it's going to be such an easy decision for Casey to choose which guy ends the game on many nights.

But I do agree with Jeff, it's an unnecessary distraction for the team. I think Jose is still an appealing asset, and the fact that he is slightly overpaid is mitigated by the expiring contract. If he can shine in the Olympics, where he should see a lot of playing time with Rubio out, his stock will rise. On the other hand, he may also get injured and become untradeable. I'd rather move him sooner than later and not take that risk. We still have plenty of holes to fill, and moving the one guy who clearly no longer fits into the team's long term plans is only reasonable.
AR1815 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Landing flight 31

Senior Member
 
0nekhmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 3,077
Representing:
Default

Jose isn't complete shit like many here seem to believe. He is a great PG who makes the smart plays, keeping the flow of the offense in his and the teams favor. He'd also have more chemistry here. Having said that, I still believe Lowry > Jose overall. Just don't be surprised if you see an unusual amount of turnovers for Lowry in the first couple of weeks here.
0nekhmer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,914
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nekhmer View Post
Jose isn't complete shit like many here seem to believe. He is a great PG who makes the smart plays, keeping the flow of the offense in his and the teams favor. He'd also have more chemistry here. Having said that, I still believe Lowry > Jose overall. Just don't be surprised if you see an unusual amount of turnovers for Lowry in the first couple of weeks here.
Name me anyone person here that has said he's complete shit or has said anything remotely resembling those sentiments.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,349
Representing:
Default

I've always been a big Jose fan.... but yeah... Lowry is better (when healthy) without a doubt.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,653
Representing:
Default

Quote:
I'd argue that Jose is also better at running the pick and roll. I don't think either is much better than the other guy, I think they play different games. Lowry's does fit better within the overall system, but with certain guys on the floor, Jose can be more effective. I don't think Jose will start, but I also don't think it's going to be such an easy decision for Casey to choose which guy ends the game on many nights.
Again, this is the TJ/Jack scenario replaying in many Raptors fans minds, not knowing that we acquired a different level of PG for the first time in the franchises history since Stoudamire. Jose barely got to the basket last year. Just because he averaged a high amount of assists doesnt mean he was nearly as effective as in years past. He probably dribbled as much last year in the games he played as a lot of the top 10 perimeter players in the NBA due to our lack of talent. He's going to get a higher amount of assists with the ball always in his hands and us throwing up desperaton shots at the end or near the end of the shot clock. He doesnt make the defence react like he used to in his first few years because hes lost a step and isnt nearly as aggressive as he used to be.

Lowry is going to get the other teams in foul trouble and us in the bonus in a lot of games, and he's going to get us more wide open quality looks with his quickness.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Thriller, what was Toronto's three point percentage last year? How much attention did any of the other players get on offence? I'm certain only Bargnani was getting doubled consistently.

I only ask because I am a little slow, and I am trying to figure a few things out.

OR I am am tearing you up right now. Take your pick yo!
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,653
Representing:
Default

You're like an enigma trapped inside a rubix cube in the twilight zone during an inception like dream.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

hahahaha... dude I'm just saying, I think y're going a bit overboard. Toronto was a terrible shooting team last year, easy to guard, easy to clog the lane. You don't get to get to the rack if the defense doesn't respect your outside shooters. Toronto on offence wasn't scary last year, at all, and Jose had little to work with. His three couldn't shoot, his two def. couldnt' shoot and didn't mov well without the ball, both his back up 4's are absolutely useless on offence, and Bargnani was hurt all year. Oh, and they didn't have a center....

It's pretty fucking hard to do a lot in the scenario man. So you like Lowry better, here's to hoping I will to, but for now, ease up, Calderon isn't as bad as you claim, he just isn't man.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,914
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
ease up, Calderon isn't as bad as you claim, he just isn't man.
who here is claiming he's bad?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

oh fuck..im going to sleep, i feel like I am actually losing IQ points dealing with you today jeff..dickwerm...till tomorrow.

Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,653
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
hahahaha... dude I'm just saying, I think y're going a bit overboard. Toronto was a terrible shooting team last year, easy to guard, easy to clog the lane. You don't get to get to the rack if the defense doesn't respect your outside shooters. Toronto on offence wasn't scary last year, at all, and Jose had little to work with. His three couldn't shoot, his two def. couldnt' shoot and didn't mov well without the ball, both his back up 4's are absolutely useless on offence, and Bargnani was hurt all year. Oh, and they didn't have a center....

It's pretty fucking hard to do a lot in the scenario man. So you like Lowry better, here's to hoping I will to, but for now, ease up, Calderon isn't as bad as you claim, he just isn't man.
I have never ever ever claimed Jose is a bad player. Bad defender? Yes. Fallen off as a penetrating PG to the rim? Absolutely. I've said multiple times that he'd be the best backup PG in the NBA.

I think hes a great backup and a fringe starter if theres an injury. Thats the role he'd play on 85+% of NBA teams right now. If we're going to become a good team it isnt going to be with him at PG. I'd love to keep him longterm if he'd accept a 6th man role and a lot less money next year and going forward.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
posterizing

Finals MVP
 
raptorsfan1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: tdot
Posts: 72
Representing:
Default

all we need is that starting SF
raptorsfan1000 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
straight ballin'

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 8,148
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

Im excited man, I love lowry, and the fields addition, even though we overpayed for fields, hes gonna be solid, gonna be an exciting season
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,908
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
I have never ever ever claimed Jose is a bad player. Bad defender? Yes. Fallen off as a penetrating PG to the rim? Absolutely. I've said multiple times that he'd be the best backup PG in the NBA.

I think hes a great backup and a fringe starter if theres an injury. Thats the role he'd play on 85+% of NBA teams right now. If we're going to become a good team it isnt going to be with him at PG. I'd love to keep him longterm if he'd accept a 6th man role and a lot less money next year and going forward.
I just hope both him and the team realize that and he is sticking around for this season and beyond in a backup role.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24