Sam Mitchell: Bargnani will get even better
Old 12-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,298
Representing:
Raptors Sam Mitchell: Bargnani will get even better

Quote:
Now an assistant coach with the New jersey Nets, its Mitchells job to help figure how to defend the Raptors, who host the Nets a week Friday, and increasingly that means figuring out how to stop Andrea Bargnani.

The big Italian dropped a career-high 41 points Wednesday to go along with seven rebounds and six assist on the Knicks and had his game-tying three offset by the Knicks buzzer beater and just across the Hudson River, Mitchell noticed.

You look at the numbers hes putting up, hes becoming a guy you have to game plan for, said Mitchell when I called him. The way hes scoring the basketball, the way hes shooting it, you got to game plan for him. Hes putting up some unbelievable numbers.

Quote:
So was Bargnani the right guy to take No.1? Maybe, maybe not.

The good news is Bargnani still seems to be developing; his theoretical ceiling remains high enough hell probably disappoint people for years.

I always felt like he was the closest thing to Dirk Nowitzki Id seen, says Mitchell. A 7-footer who can put the ball on the floor and shoot with range, and he had a mid-range game and I always felt like he was as better athlete than Dirk, so at some point you thought he might have a chance to be an even better scorer than Dirk because he was a better athlete. Hes going to get better. Hes a young player, hes a very intelligent player, and he can flat-out shoot the basketball.
Quote:
The extension Colangelo signed him to in the summer of 2009 might have looked rich then, but now? The four years and $42-million Bargnani has remaining on his contract look like spectacular value.

Roy, with the creaky knees at age 26, is owed $70-million over the next four years as his Gay. Aldridge, equally as enigmatic as Bargnani and no ones definition of a go-to scorer, is owed $54-million over the next four. Rondo is underpaid at $46-million for the next four, but it's still more than Bargnani is getting.

For a long time Bargnani going No.1 was a bit of albatross for Colangelo as his development stalled and sputtered. Failing to get more out of Bargnani was at least one reason Mitchell was fired, all the while swirled the unknown: what if they'd taken Roy; why not Gay?

Bargs: the best No.1 pick money can buy - The Globe and Mail
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
fresh n' spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: mississauga
Posts: 998
Representing:
Default

And ironically while mitchell was coaching in Toronto he did not believe in Bargnani and gave him limited playing time
fresh n' spicy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,298
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh n' spicy View Post
And ironically while mitchell was coaching in Toronto he did not believe in Bargnani and gave him limited playing time
This notion is insane. His first two seasons under Mitchell Bargnani averaged 25mpg and even started 53 games in his second season when he looked quite bad. His rookie season he averaged 25mpg and was runner up ROY and ROM twice during the season. He had a bit of a short leash on him when he struggled, which is what i wish would happen to Derozan to a degree.

To say that a 7' player from Europe playing 25mpg in his first two season in the NBA is not enough is crazy, i mean it's not like Milicic who was glued to the bench literally for years.

The only problem i had with the way Bargnani was handled was when they played him at the 3. That was stupid.

Last edited by jeffb; 12-09-2010 at 02:21 PM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
This notion is insane. His first two seasons under Mitchell Bargnani averaged 25mpg and even started 53 games in his second season when he looked quite bad. His rookie season he averaged 25mpg and was runner up ROY and ROM twice during the season. He had a bit of a short leash on him when he struggled, which is what i wish would happen to Derozan to a degree.

To say that a 7' player from Europe playing 25mpg in his first two season is in the NBA is not enough is crazy, i mean it's not like Milicic who was glued to the bench literally for years.

The only problem i had with the way Bargnani was handled was when they played him at the 3. That was stupid.
Fully agree....

Nice to see perspective from Mitchell. Like his Dirk analysis too. The Aldridge comment is bang on as well.

Last edited by carp; 12-09-2010 at 02:23 PM.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Naturally this all comes out after a 41 point effort.

I don't disagree though..i've been a Bargnani supporter basically since the beginning wavering only seldomly.
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,682
Representing:
Default

just make it continue - otherwise it's going to feel like we've been down this road a few times already.

I don't need him to get better than what he showed last night. He was engaged throughout, and showed that he could be part of a team. Now my expectations are on Colangelo to make sure that team is built properly.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
just make it continue - otherwise it's going to feel like we've been down this road a few times already.

I don't need him to get better than what he showed last night. He was engaged throughout, and showed that he could be part of a team. Now my expectations are on Colangelo to make sure that team is built properly.
Even I am feeling the positivity and love oozing from LX!!!
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Landing flight 31

Senior Member
 
0nekhmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 3,097
Representing:
Default

maybe Bargs would have reached his potential earlier if sam let him be himself!
0nekhmer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

I miss Smitch.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nekhmer View Post
maybe Bargs would have reached his potential earlier if sam let him be himself!
Or maybe he needed the early kick in the pants to learn that he has to fight in the nba..things won't just be handed to him.

In my opinion the only thing Sam could have done better with Andrea is to let him play through some more mistakes. He got the hook too soon, but I have no issue with the tough love approach.
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,298
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nekhmer View Post
maybe Bargs would have reached his potential earlier if sam let him be himself!
How so? How was he not himself in his first couple years?
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
better than you

Senior Member
 
eazy187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 893
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
This notion is insane. His first two seasons under Mitchell Bargnani averaged 25mpg and even started 53 games in his second season when he looked quite bad. His rookie season he averaged 25mpg and was runner up ROY and ROM twice during the season. He had a bit of a short leash on him when he struggled, which is what i wish would happen to Derozan to a degree.

To say that a 7' player from Europe playing 25mpg in his first two season in the NBA is not enough is crazy, i mean it's not like Milicic who was glued to the bench literally for years.

The only problem i had with the way Bargnani was handled was when they played him at the 3. That was stupid.
but Dirk was averaging 35+ minutes by his second season and almost 40 minutes by his third.

eazy187 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,298
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy187 View Post
but Dirk was averaging 35+ minutes by his second season and almost 40 minutes by his third.

Your point? Bargnani is not Dirk Nowitzki.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
better than you

Senior Member
 
eazy187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 893
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Your point? Bargnani is not Dirk Nowitzki.
My point was that Don Nelson gave him major minutes and let Dirk work out his game on the court. Which worked out extremely well.

That's what they are doing with DeMar right now. Getting him to play through injury and through slumps in his game. It's the only way to really learn. imo.
eazy187 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
fresh n' spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: mississauga
Posts: 998
Representing:
Default

I remember the year mitchell was fired he hardly used Bargnani or didnt use him properly and as a result his numbers were low. When triano took over Bargs started getting more playing time and found his game
fresh n' spicy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,298
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh n' spicy View Post
I remember the year mitchell was fired he hardly used Bargnani or didnt use him properly and as a result his numbers were low. When triano took over Bargs started getting more playing time and found his game
Actually Bargnani was playing quite a bit because JO was hurt 3 weeks into the season. In fact, He was averaging 29mpg before Sam got fired on Dec 3rd.The rest of December under Triano he averaged 24mpg.

Andrea Bargnani Stats, News, Photos - Toronto Raptors - ESPN
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
gone

Senior Member
 
Beesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 986
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Actually Bargnani was playing quite a bit because JO was hurt 3 weeks into the season. In fact, He was averaging 29mpg before Sam got fired on Dec 3rd.The rest of December under Triano he averaged 24mpg.

Andrea Bargnani Stats, News, Photos - Toronto Raptors - ESPN
Ye, and I thought that kinda screwed it up for Sam Mitchell, because they didnt know what to do with JO because Bargs was starting to play well. I think he even tried to start all 3 (Bargs, JO, and Bosh) with Bargs playing the SF.
Beesh is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
fresh n' spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: mississauga
Posts: 998
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesh View Post
Ye, and I thought that kinda screwed it up for Sam Mitchell, because they didnt know what to do with JO because Bargs was starting to play well. I think he even tried to start all 3 (Bargs, JO, and Bosh) with Bargs playing the SF.
he was the only 7 plus foot small forward in the league :facepalm:
fresh n' spicy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

Next year...
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,477
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesh View Post
Ye, and I thought that kinda screwed it up for Sam Mitchell, because they didnt know what to do with JO because Bargs was starting to play well. I think he even tried to start all 3 (Bargs, JO, and Bosh) with Bargs playing the SF.
I think that was Triano? I'm not very sure, but one of them tried to roll Bargnani at the 3.
js12 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
likes the consistency in the colangelo built raptors

Senior Member
 
rapsmannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,427
Representing:
Default

Michael Grange throwing down with a pen

this article was a great read, best article I've read about the situation in 2006 draft class, everything he said about Bargs development, comparisons to other players in his own draft class are dead on, and the price of each player
rapsmannn is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24