S'93: Colangelo Says the “E” Word
Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,245
Representing:
Default S'93: Colangelo Says the “E” Word



Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching for '93
That was a neat presser from Byron Colangelo.

Enough is enough.

This is Bosh’s sixth full year as a pro. He played 77 games. We’ve reached his statistical ceiling.

The Raptors won 33 games.

So, fine… You want to see if he’s worth the money? I have a great idea:

Let him play for a fucking contract next year. See if he has the ability to put a team on his back.

Wants some reasons? I’ll give you reasons:

Vince Carter. Rafer Alston. Antonio Davis. TJ Ford. Jose Calderon. Mark Jackson. Hakeem Olajuwon. Jason Kapono. Alvin Williams. Jerome Williams.

Those are the players that the Raptors have given big contracts to in their history. Did any of these work out? Calderon is TBD. Though, it’s worth noting that his most recent campaign smelled like a fart.

Go check out the all-time roster and see if you can find a success story.

If you like, you can look a little west of the ACC to the Rogers Centre at 2/3rds of the Blue Jays outfield. I refuse to say the players by name. But let’s just say they’re the Blue Jays 3 and 4 hitters. And their names are Alex Rios and Vernon Wells. Both of those dickweeds were extended with massive contracts before the Blue Jays had the opportunity to get a contract year out of them. Oh, well. As long as you ignore the palpable drop in offensive production (and Vernon’s chins) you’ll be fine.

Nobody would be happier if Chris Bosh shaved his head, got in awesome shape, lit his laptop on fire and learned how to be a decent defensive player. Really. Seriously. I would be happy. But I’d sooner sell my wife to a Russian mobster than bet money that he’ll do those things when he’s guaranteed an 1/8th of a billion dollars.

Color me cynical.

Let Chris Bosh earn his max-contract. And if you lose him, you lose him. Big fucking deal.

Grow a pair Colangelo.
Source - Colangelo says the “E” word | Searching For '93
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

I can't say I disagree.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,683
Representing:
Default

except if he bolts next year we'll still be up against the cap, but without any kind of star. great idea...
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

I enjoyed that.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

sign and trade
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

Yup, because guys that average 20 and 10 year in and out just grow on trees.

I'm not even gonna bother logging onto this "dickweed"'s site.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Did you not want them to give Vince Carter/Antonio Davis contracts? Both of those guys were all-stars and vince was voted #1 at the all-star games for so many years. For marketing reasons alone he was worth the money... he was a lebron james-like character for the league and we had him in TORONTO! Who could have predicted what happened to him?

Alvin Williams was a great defensive tough point gaurd and TJ Ford was our #2 to get the Divsion title and the playoffs... we lose him and we get 33 wins (yes, i know Calderon was injured).

Vision is 20/20 from hindsight.

Last edited by Bmats7; 04-21-2009 at 12:45 PM.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
bored.

Senior Member
 
iRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,032
Representing:
Default

Dude that is was is expected from him, stats don't lie but also don't tell the truth. Bosh has alot to work on cause that 2003 draft
Class.. My opinion obviously wade lebron but also melo have passed him publicity wise.
iRaptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,657
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
except if he bolts next year we'll still be up against the cap, but without any kind of star. great idea...
of course not

we can trade him just as well this february, or, even better, next summer (S&T). If he wants to leave AND get a max contract Bosh must extend or agree to a S&T.

And, even if he actually walks next summer, we'd still have a shitload of cash to go after the huge number of free agents that will be available in 2010.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,751
Representing:
Default

Of course we can, because free agents are always lining up to play for the Raps.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,683
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
of course not

we can trade him just as well this february, or, even better, next summer (S&T). If he wants to leave AND get a max contract Bosh must extend or agree to a S&T.

And, even if he actually walks next summer, we'd still have a shitload of cash to go after the huge number of free agents that will be available in 2010.
to your first point, i totally disagree, because trading in feb when his contract is about to expire is not from a position of strength. extend him or trade him asap. the longer we wait, the more problems the expiring contract presents.

as to your second point, no, i don't think we would. we may have a couple of million, but we'll be over the cap next year, so losing bosh's $15 mil is not going to put us $15 mil under the cap. we'll be lucky to have any more cap room than we do right now.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,657
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Of course we can, because free agents are always lining up to play for the Raps.
yeah - free agents will turn down our millions, because everybody knows that we pay in canadian dollars which are worth like nothing. Just because 10% of american playes are worthless idiots, it doesn't make all of them like that. JO had no problem coming here, neither did marion (they could have easily said they don't want to play here, like gerrard wallace did, and we wouldn't go after them).

But hey, if SAS said so, it must be true ....
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,657
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
to your first point, i totally disagree, because trading in feb when his contract is about to expire is not from a position of strength. extend him or trade him asap. the longer we wait, the more problems the expiring contract presents.
no - because we will always be in a position of strength. For a player like Bosh there will be ton of offers, so teams will compete against each others.
And we always have the option of not trading him, in which case many of these teams won't be able to go after them since they have no cap space (like GSW for example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
as to your second point, no, i don't think we would. we may have a couple of million, but we'll be over the cap next year, so losing bosh's $15 mil is not going to put us $15 mil under the cap. we'll be lucky to have any more cap room than we do right now.
your numbers must be wrong, we could have 30+ million in 2010 if we so choose. It all depends how we spend the money this season.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,312
Representing:
Default

yes, losing chris for nothing is ideal.... the FA's will come running
Ugo Ferst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,751
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
yeah - free agents will turn down our millions, because everybody knows that we pay in canadian dollars which are worth like nothing. Just because 10% of american playes are worthless idiots, it doesn't make all of them like that. JO had no problem coming here, neither did marion (they could have easily said they don't want to play here, like gerrard wallace did, and we wouldn't go after them).

But hey, if SAS said so, it must be true ....
You just further proved my point by naming two guys who were traded here and were basically being run out of town by their teams.

Name me one big marquee free agent signing the Raps have ever made?
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
adoring his baby girl.

Senior Member
 
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 3,288
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
yeah - free agents will turn down our millions, because everybody knows that we pay in canadian dollars which are worth like nothing. Just because 10% of american playes are worthless idiots, it doesn't make all of them like that. JO had no problem coming here, neither did marion (they could have easily said they don't want to play here, like gerrard wallace did, and we wouldn't go after them).

But hey, if SAS said so, it must be true ....
Your sarcasm detector is dialed in perfectly on Acie's post !

ps...that was sarcasm
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
no - because we will always be in a position of strength. For a player like Bosh there will be ton of offers, so teams will compete against each others.
But the longer we wait, the less time we have to do something with him before his contract actually expires. Just because teams are in competition with each other doesn't mean that they won't acknowledge that our hand is forced. As a whole, teams are going to offer less just knowing that we basically have to get rid of him.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,683
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
no - because we will always be in a position of strength. For a player like Bosh there will be ton of offers, so teams will compete against each others.
And we always have the option of not trading him, in which case many of these teams won't be able to go after them since they have no cap space (like GSW for example)



your numbers must be wrong, we could have 30+ million in 2010 if we so choose. It all depends how we spend the money this season.
you can't be serious that we would always be in a position of strength... why would a team put a deal together to get a superstar that is only going to be around for 2 months until his contract expires unless they are sure that he will re-sign? he has already suggested that he wants to test the fa market. the trade deadline is not a position of strength for an expiring deal if that deal is for a star calibre player who is tentative about signing.

i don't have 2010 numbers yet, so they can't be right or wrong. it all depends on how we spend this summer, but i can pretty much guarantee that we will use all available resources. unless we plan on signing guys to 1-year deals, bosh's will be the only significant one to expire next year, and i believe we'll have to deal with Bargs as well. i don't see how that nets us out at $30 mil under, unless you mean in the way we are $23 mil under this year. that may look like a lot of cash, but considering how many contracts we have to spend it on, it's peanuts. same problem next year. at least we could go over to sign bosh.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Name me one big marquee free agent signing the Raps have ever made?
Hakeem, obviously. That worked out fantastically, did it not?
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,751
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachus22 View Post
Hakeem, obviously. That worked out fantastically, did it not?
Actually that was a sign and trade.

And I meant a marquee player in their prime, not a broken down one that was a shell of his former self that everyone except for the Raps knew well enough to stay away from.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S'93: Colangelo’s Draft History Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 10 03-27-2009 05:50 PM
Word on bosh? arsonal Toronto Raptors 15 02-06-2009 05:45 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24