RR: It seems unlikely Raptors can move up in the draft
Old 05-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,952
Representing:
Raptors RR: It seems unlikely Raptors can move up in the draft

It Seems Unlikely the Raptors Can Trade Up | Raptors Republic: ESPN TrueHoop Network Blog


Quote:
While it hasn’t really seemed a realistic possibility since the Toronto Raptors turned their season around in the weeks following the Rudy Gay trade, it certainly*seemed a likely goal*in the immediate aftermath. Even once the tank was unquestionably “off,” the idea remained that there*may be some way for the Raptors to still end up with the hometown hero.It’s not happening.

This isn’t news, of course, but after reaching out to bloggers from teams who have picks ahead of the Raptors’ No. 20 selection, it seems unlikely that, barring a major and unexpected trade, the Raptors won’t be moving up to select anywhere in the lottery, Wiggins or otherwise.

Depending on how you evaluate this draft class, that may not be a concern. The fluidity in rankings for the prospects in the 10-30 range is such that you may prefer a player at 20, anyway, who you may not need to trade up for. Still, I wanted to evaluate the possibility, so I reached out.

Raptor AssetsBefore we get into responses, here are the assets that the Raptors could conceivably offer a team in any draft day deal:

Picks No. 20, 37 and 59 in 2014 draft
Own 2015 picks
Own 2016 1st, NY 2016 1st (lower of NY/Den)
Own 2017 picks, NY 2017 2nd
All own picks 2018-2020
DeMar DeRozan, Amir Johnson, Landry Fields, Chuck Hayes, Steve Novak, Jonas Valanciunas, Terrence Ross (roster players)Patrick Patterson, Greivis Vasquez, Nando De Colo (RFAs sign-and-trade)Kyle Lowry (UFA sign-and-trade)John Salmons ($7M/2M), Tyler Hansbrough ($3.3M/1M) non-guaranteed deals (total/guaranteed)

Last edited by jeffb; 05-24-2014 at 11:37 AM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,932
Representing:
Default

I would trade all the picks we can legally trade, and Demar or JV depending on who's left for the second overall. Wiggins and Embiid are drool worthy.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
grabbin boards, droppin dimes, and lightin them up

Senior Member
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,220
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
I would trade all the picks we can legally trade, and Demar or JV depending on who's left for the second overall. Wiggins and Embiid are drool worthy.
That would be the most ridiculous deal. Bad. Bad. Bad.
Alex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 281
Representing:
Default

I honestly don't see the point to trade up at this time. Not to mention I seriously doubt either mill or phi would give up their pick as they need that franchise player. Clev is the only question mark but what was the last time that someone gave up a first pick
Wictory is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,932
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
That would be the most ridiculous deal. Bad. Bad. Bad.
Embiid looks like the two way big we've been missing since.. I don't even know when. Guy has post moves for days, and is a rim protector. and has range to 3.... Imagine a JV Embiid combo?

Wiggins can be the SF we've been missing to guard the bigger ones, and take over when needed.

I love DD as much as the next guy, but if a SF can be had as good as him, if not better, you go for it, given you have ross.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,012
Representing:
Default

Doubt Masai really wants to move up unless he sees something special. There are decent players around 20-30 so really no need to move up. This draft is crazy in terms of where people outside the lottery will be picked. All mock drafts have such different slots for players
omar36 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,952
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar36 View Post
Doubt Masai really wants to move up unless he sees something special. There are decent players around 20-30 so really no need to move up. This draft is crazy in terms of where people outside the lottery will be picked. All mock drafts have such different slots for players
I have a feeling we'll be surprised at who is available at #20. Someone unexpected will drop down to us imo.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,935
Representing:
Default

IMHO, we should only trade up for a chance at Wiggins. Not to say he is necessarily going to be the best player in this draft when it's all said and done, but by all accounts he seems to be the best player for us to reach for - from his Toronto origins to his humble personality to the needs he'd fill for years to come and an opportunity for him to grow at his own pace behind other established players - that's a match made in heaven.

If it took DD plus picks and expiring with Wiggins and, perhaps, undesirable contract heading our way, I'd go for it. As the draft unfolds, it could be #2 or #3 we'd be talking about - I just don't see the Cavs passing on Embiid unless the health concerns are well-justified and Bucks might just prefer Parker.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,431
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
Embiid looks like the two way big we've been missing since.. I don't even know when. Guy has post moves for days, and is a rim protector. and has range to 3.... Imagine a JV Embiid combo?

Wiggins can be the SF we've been missing to guard the bigger ones, and take over when needed.

I love DD as much as the next guy, but if a SF can be had as good as him, if not better, you go for it, given you have ross.
I think Snooch hacked pzabby's account
LOG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,932
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
I think Snooch hacked pzabby's account
I'm against Tanking. But if you see a chance to improve your team, you do it. Tanking you can have a max 25 percent chance at a top pick, at largely unknown draft prospectees at the beginning of the year (when you'd have to start). You'd also have to gut your team to even have a shot.

In the above scenario, you're not really gutting your team, and improving it two fold, while having a strong winning culture in place. It's asset optimization.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,012
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
IMHO, we should only trade up for a chance at Wiggins. Not to say he is necessarily going to be the best player in this draft when it's all said and done, but by all accounts he seems to be the best player for us to reach for - from his Toronto origins to his humble personality to the needs he'd fill for years to come and an opportunity for him to grow at his own pace behind other established players - that's a match made in heaven.

If it took DD plus picks and expiring with Wiggins and, perhaps, undesirable contract heading our way, I'd go for it. As the draft unfolds, it could be #2 or #3 we'd be talking about - I just don't see the Cavs passing on Embiid unless the health concerns are well-justified and Bucks might just prefer Parker.
i doubt philly would want DD unless they are thinking of a fast rebuild. but that would be sick to have wiggins as our sf (move ross to sg).

maybe a package of DD 2 first round picks plus we take jason richardsons contract would be great for the raps

Last edited by omar36; 05-24-2014 at 01:12 PM.
omar36 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,932
Representing:
Default

It's not going to happen. But it would be sick, yeah.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,935
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar36 View Post
i doubt philly would want DD unless they are thinking of a fast rebuild. but that would be sick to have wiggins as our sf (move ross to sg).

maybe a package of DD 2 first round picks plus we take jason richardsons contract would be great for the raps
Nor do I think it's likely that we'd get him - remember, Bucks and Phily have tanked hard with Wiggins (pretty much) in mind, and so if Cavs draft Embiid, it's like the draft starts at #2 for those teams.

Our first chance at Wiggins would be after his fourth season, and a lot could change between now and then. He'd be perfect for the team we have today, might not be for the team we have then. We might not want him or he might not want us in 4 years.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,773
Representing:
Default

The only way we make a move Draft night to try & land Wiggins. Is if he states I only want to play for the Raptors!

Which could happen
halphbreedballer is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,932
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
The only way we make a move Draft night to try & land Wiggins. Is if he states I only want to play for the Raptors!

Which could happen
nah. Kid is too humble and shy. He's no francis.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Is hating ISO ball

Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 148
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
The only way we make a move Draft night to try & land Wiggins. Is if he states I only want to play for the Raptors!

Which could happen
Wiggins has already stated he will play anywhere. That dream is over.
deaner is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,227
Representing:
Default

"after reaching out to Bloggers..."

"unlikely barring a major or unexpected trade..."

lolz...

Does every blog need it's own thread..it's not like this is news.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

This is what happens when you decide to be competitive they same year as arguably the best draft in the decade.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
threes and free throws

Senior Member
 
Metallikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,939
Representing:
Default

Pzabby, there's no way we move into a top 3 pick. It would take too much out of our core. If this season taught me anything it's that chemistry is a very, very tricky thing to attain and that a team will only become contenders if they can keep a specific group or core together to develop. Even if we only keep Lowry/DeRozan/Ross/Johnson/Valanciunas/Vasquez/Patterson and don't add anyone else of value, we'll still be a much better team than this season.
Metallikid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,431
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Josh Lewenberg: Masai said he and his staff have been tracking Ennis for a long time. Open to all scenarios, including possibly trading up to land him Twitter @JLew1050 -
HoopsHype - Toronto Raptors Rumors
LOG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24