Rondo in Toronto? - Page 8
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #141 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Regardless, he is not coming here. And if he is or was having attitude/coaching/off court issues, etc in Boston, he would be destructive here.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #142 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Welp, so much for this.

After today's game we could probably offer Jose, Ed, DD AND our pick and Ainge would laugh in our faces.

I'll say this much... if Rondo's playing like this and he's "uncoachable" then the coach clearly needs to be fired... because he has no idea WTF is going on.
doc rivers is not known to be a nut-job like scott skiles, if you can't get along with a coach like rivers, something must be fishy. There were rumours that rondo doesn't listen to head coach as much as he should be when rondo was sophomore. When you have a young player disobeying a possible hall of famer coach, that's can't be good.

look, everything is conjecture, only one thing is certain. Rondo has been shopped for 2-3 years now. Just ask yourself why one of the top organizations in the league was trying so hard to trade their best young player even while they were going through a very successful stretch?
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #143 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
And if he is or was having attitude/coaching/off court issues, etc in Boston, he would be destructive here.
this is by far my biggest concern, if surrounded by guys like KG/Pierce/Allen and a coach like Doc Rivers and he had attitude problems, how the heck is a rookie coach and a laid-back bargnani/derozan would cope with him? Not too mention BC, who is not the most calm person out there, they will be at their necks within weeks if not sooner ...
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #144 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,614
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

Rondo's not coming to Toronto anyways, so I could careless, lol. Maybe this is a opportunity for the GM's to open up their eyes and look at Rondo and give up some key pieces for him
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #145 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
doc rivers is not known to be a nut-job like scott skiles, if you can't get along with a coach like rivers, something must be fishy. There were rumours that rondo doesn't listen to head coach as much as he should be when rondo was sophomore. When you have a young player disobeying a possible hall of famer coach, that's can't be good.

look, everything is conjecture, only one thing is certain. Rondo has been shopped for 2-3 years now. Just ask yourself why one of the top organizations in the league was trying so hard to trade their best young player even while they were going through a very successful stretch?
From everything I've read and heard this doesn't seem to be the case. The only time that the Celts ACTIVELY made calls and attempted to initiate a trade was when they were trying to get CP3. Other than that Ainge has been FIELDING calls (which every GM does)... that's it.

It's possible that Rivers and Rondo clashed in the past but I haven't seen anything this season which would suggest that there's anything going on there now. This certainly doesn't seem to be a Sloan/Williams situation.

As for how he'd fare here.... he'd LEAD. The Raps have been looking for that strong personality to take over the team for YEARS. Rondo would provide that at the ideal spot on the floor. I think that you're exaggerating things just a bit.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #146 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Banned
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,952
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post

As for how he'd fare here.... he'd LEAD. The Raps have been looking for that strong personality to take over the team for YEARS. Rondo would provide that at the ideal spot on the floor. I think that you're exaggerating things just a bit.
agreed...he'd be a great fit for this franchise but imho it's all moot anyways because Rondo is going nowhere
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #147 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Banned
 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 19,089
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
From everything I've read and heard this doesn't seem to be the case. The only time that the Celts ACTIVELY made calls and attempted to initiate a trade was when they were trying to get CP3. Other than that Ainge has been FIELDING calls (which every GM does)... that's it.

It's possible that Rivers and Rondo clashed in the past but I haven't seen anything this season which would suggest that there's anything going on there now. This certainly doesn't seem to be a Sloan/Williams situation.

As for how he'd fare here.... he'd LEAD. The Raps have been looking for that strong personality to take over the team for YEARS. Rondo would provide that at the ideal spot on the floor. I think that you're exaggerating things just a bit.
Dude, come on...

The Celtics tried to trade Rondo to the Pistons back in 2009, but Dumars said no. There were also trade rumours in the 2010 off-season and rumours again this season.

And Doc admitted he still has issues with Rondo and has them with Kevin Garnett too.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #148 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,068
Representing:
Default

Considering that Allen and Garnett are done and Pierce is almost done, they will trade Rondo only for the asset(s) that would allow them to start serious rebuilding next season. Paul would have become a centerpiece of a new roster, for instance. We can't offer anything of that nature - we'd like some of that for ourselves.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #149 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Dude, come on...

The Celtics tried to trade Rondo to the Pistons back in 2009, but Dumars said no. There were also trade rumours in the 2010 off-season and rumours again this season.

And Doc admitted he still has issues with Rondo and has them with Kevin Garnett too.
And I certainly acknowledged that Doc and Rondo had problems in the past. I don't recall the Pistons rumour... who was he supposed to be dealt for?

Not sure what to believe about Doc right now TBH... because he just came out this past weekend AGAIN and said that he & Rondo are fine and he WANTS him there 100%.

Bob Cousy had a great quote too which pretty much summed it up for me lol.... something to the effect of.. "Unless the kid's a serial killer on the side you don't trade him... because I don't know where you're going to find a better PG."
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #150 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Banned
 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 19,089
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
And I certainly acknowledged that Doc and Rondo had problems in the past. I don't recall the Pistons rumour... who was he supposed to be dealt for?

Not sure what to believe about Doc right now TBH... because he just came out this past weekend AGAIN and said that he & Rondo are fine and he WANTS him there 100%.

Bob Cousy had a great quote too which pretty much summed it up for me lol.... something to the effect of.. "Unless the kid's a serial killer on the side you don't trade him... because I don't know where you're going to find a better PG."
Hamilton, Prince and Stuckey for Allen and Rondo.

And of course Doc said that despite the problems they're fine and he wants him there - sugarcoating it makes it easier to trade him.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #151 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Hamilton, Prince and Stuckey for Allen and Rondo.

And of course Doc said that despite the problems they're fine and he wants him there - sugarcoating it makes it easier to trade him.
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me exactly WHAT Rondo is doing that is driving Rivers so crazy. The guy isn't hogging the ball. He's playing D. He's chipping in on the glass. He's running the offense and finding the open man.

WHAT should he be doing that he isn't??

EDIT: If the Celts end up trading Rondo for anything less than a superstar it'll be a bigger mistake than the Perkins trade.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #152 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,068
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me exactly WHAT Rondo is doing that is driving Rivers so crazy. The guy isn't hogging the ball. He's playing D. He's chipping in on the glass. He's running the offense and finding the open man.

WHAT should he be doing that he isn't??
Obviously, some off-court shit.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #153 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Banned
 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 19,089
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Obviously, some off-court shit.
Bingo.

Apparently, dude has some serious emotional problems.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #154 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Bingo.

Apparently, dude has some serious emotional problems.
Where are you guys hearing this stuff? I haven't heard anyone say anything about this....

Even so, with his kind of talent wouldn't you be better off just trying to get the kid some help rather than trading him?
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #155 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me exactly WHAT Rondo is doing that is driving Rivers so crazy. The guy isn't hogging the ball. He's playing D. He's chipping in on the glass. He's running the offense and finding the open man.

WHAT should he be doing that he isn't??

EDIT: If the Celts end up trading Rondo for anything less than a superstar it'll be a bigger mistake than the Perkins trade.
apparently he's very stubborn and refuses to follow the coach instructions. When you're deron williams, that could be excused, but rondo has been the 4th best player on that team until maybe last year.

as far as getting a superstar in return, not sure how that would be possible ... you can't trade a player who's a one-time all star (voted in as replacement I think) and has a dubious reputation (deserved or not) for a superstar

I wouldn't even trade 2nd level stars like Bosh or amare for somebody like rondo, if only because usually you don't trade a big for a small of equal calibre.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #156 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Banned
 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 19,089
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Where are you guys hearing this stuff? I haven't heard anyone say anything about this....

Even so, with his kind of talent wouldn't you be better off just trying to get the kid some help rather than trading him?


His troubles have been well documented and it's been ongoing since he came into the league. At a certain point perhaps enough is enough.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #157 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Where are you guys hearing this stuff? I haven't heard anyone say anything about this....

Even so, with his kind of talent wouldn't you be better off just trying to get the kid some help rather than trading him?
I'm sure they tried hard, you always do when you have a talented player. The other party must first acknowledge they have a problem and, second, be willing to treat it.

there was a good article today on espn, on the right team, rondo would be dynamite. In the wrong situation, he would be a disaster.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #158 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
His troubles have been well documented and it's been ongoing since he came into the league. At a certain point perhaps enough is enough.
I've been trying to find some articles about this... no go so far. If you've seen some recently I'd love it if you could provide a link....

I'm a bit confused though as to why Rondo's off-court problems would make a team so desperate to get rid of him when he clearly doesn't seem to have any problems ON the court.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #159 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Thought this was interesting....

Rajon Rondo: High Maintenance NBA Superstar - CelticsBlog

Quote:

The most shocking thing that happened Sunday during Rondo's virtuoso performance, for me at least, was during one of those pre-recorded midgame interviews with Doc Rivers. The interview immediately began with Doc being questioned about Rondo's job stability and rumors of his petulance, as it is perhaps the biggest story in the NBA as the trade deadline nears. "Rondo is the smartest player I've ever coached," Rivers said "Which is both a good and a bad thing".

The way Rivers is describing Rondo makes the latter sound like an eccentric genius, a la Rick Nash or Nikola Tesla, which of course is a simultaneously flattering and damning description. Much has been made about Rondo's personality, which has sparked the rumors that the Celtics are looking to trade him. He's been called "stubborn and high maintenance", a truly curious description of an NBA superstar. Because in reality, aren't they all?

The NBA, more than any other league, is full of athletes who are slightly left of whatever is considered the center (Shane Battier? George Mikan?). The number of players who have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot to the point that it is a miracle that they have any circulating blood there -- and still have jobs -- is staggering. The fact that Baron Davis is still employed by any NBA team is remarkable. DeShawn Stevenson is an egomaniac who is terrifying and I hope never reads this. DeMarcus Cousins was the first half temperamental MVP, and the Kings still employ his services.

Whether it is a dearth of talent in the NBA or what, teams still rely and depend on players who are headstrong and obdurate. That the Celtics are allegedly so offended by Rondo's personality leads me to believe that either they are exaggerating or as Bob Cousy put it, have found out Rondo is a serial killer on the side (then again, that wouldn't matter because you know, Kevin Garnett). Everyone in the NBA is somewhat off-kilter or somewhat rebellious. Rondo's prime offenses appear to be that he sees himself as the smartest player on the court, and that whatever he wants to do is the right choice. This is obviously an extremely arrogant thing to presume, but it is likely true. Through his play, Rondo has made it clear that he is the best player on the Celtics, and it isn't too far-fetched to assume that the things he says and wants are probably right most of the time.

His 17-18-20 brilliance Sunday proves this, and proves that when he feels like it, Rondo is possibly the most dazzling (I hate this adjective, because it makes it sound like I'm describing Mariah Carey, but I'm running out of adjectives) player in the NBA. As Bill Simmons tweeted, it was Rondo's "Don't **** TRADE ME!!!!" game, a game where Rondo seemed to make any discussion of a trade seem obsolete and totally ridiculous.

The problem with that theory is that Rondo's game only increases his trade value, as SI.com's Ian Thomsen points out (Dang it, Ian! I had this theory planned out since yesterday!). Teams are more likely to overlook Rondo's attitude issues if Rondo has the potential for games like the one he had on Sunday, and would offer more for Rondo's services if they believe his play overshadows any extraneous issues. Rondo's game, at first appearing to be a blessing for Celtics fans, could potentially bring forth the extinction of his services.

As NBA.com's David Aldridge notes, the apparent "dynamics" issue Rondo and his teammates allegedly have becomes irrelevant when you consider that most of the non-Rondo members of the team will be gone after this season, and if Rondo is moved to appease them it's ridiculous. It would be unjust if that's the justification for Rondo's trading, and wouldn't make any sense for a team that desperately needs to be looking toward to the future.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #160 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Another pretty good article... here's an excerpt.

Keep Rondo: A Lesson Learned From Dennis Johnson - CelticsBlog

Quote:

Before DJ was part of the most iconic steal in NBA history, Red had to steal him away from the Phoenix Suns for Rick Robey. At the time, Rick Robey rarely played as a back up center for the Celtics and Johnson was a Finals MVP and a five-time member of the All-Defensive Team. The only reason that deal gets done was because DJ was an arrogant SOB and a locker room cancer. Of course, the DJ we know is the Dennis Johnson that Larry Legend described as the best teammate he ever had. Sound like somebody we know? Rondo and DJ were both young phenoms and we have to consider that brilliance like this at this age comes with a price.

The Celtics have to be willing to suffer these growing pains in order to reap the benefits when he matures in his prime. Like Chad Finn suggests, I agree that "Ainge can live with Rondo, not as a centerpiece, but as an essential piece." He's not a max contract player, but somebody you use as the foundation to attract max contract players. 137 NBA players ranked Rondo 12th in top players to build a team around and he's only 25. I'm sure Danny recognizes that this is the age of the scoring point guard. If the rumors are true, he's tried to trade Rondo at twice that we know of for Chris Paul and Steph Curry. This is where I hope that Ainge is a loyal CelticsBlog reader.

Danny, consider this: a team led by a scoring point guard hasn't won an NBA championship in twenty years outside of maybe Chauncey Billups. Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook are nice players, but until they've got rings, let the answering machine pick up those trade calls for Rondo. Everybody knows that playoff basketball is more of a grind. The court gets smaller and the play gets more physical; playmaking becomes a premium. Rondo is the epitome of a player that makes his teammates better.

By the way, Bird's a fan of Rondo, too. He's not Iverson or Steve Francis. He might be tough to deal with because he thinks he's the smartest player on the court but with his head coach echoing those sentiments, can you blame him? I know Garnett isn't willing to put on pom poms and shorts shorts, but he has been Rondo's biggest cheerleader this season. That says a lot. Rondo may not have Chris Paul's jump shot or Derrick Rose's finishing ability at the rim, but the common trait they share is that little edge that puts the best players over the top. Call it competitive fire. Call it guts. Rondo has it. You can't trade away a guy that goes nose-to-nose with Lebron James at half court or plays through a dislocated elbow. Trust the instincts you had when you traded for him on draft night. Keep the kid.

Last edited by TORaptor4Ever; 03-06-2012 at 01:44 PM.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24