Rockets Attempted To Trade For Kyle Lowry At Deadline - Page 2
Old 03-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,477
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
If Lowry bolts, where will he go?
Houston
Miami
NYK
LAL
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,762
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanTheMan View Post
He's not just securing his next pay check.
He's doing all the little things too like being a leader on/off the court, mentoring Val, really taking risks healthwise etc. Not really things a selfish moneygrabber would take the time for.

I think/want to believe he genuinely wants to be here...
I agree. I can say only one thing "Mike James" that is all
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Schweinsteiger7

Senior Member
 
Rene_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,007
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
I agree. I can say only one thing "Mike James" that is all
I don't think Mike James is a fair comparison at all. Mike James was older, was never seen as more than a scorer, and was on an absolutely awful team where he was the main scoring option. Lowry isn't the main scoring option on this team, and as we know we're sitting at 9 games above .500. The following season, which i don't foresee for Lowry, James was a shell of himself. And his previous season wasn't that impressive either. Mike James was more like a Ricky Davis, than someone who was considered the 2nd biggest All Star snub this year.

I'm not sure where I stand on what will happen will Lowry, but i think he genuinely wants to win here, and that also happens to help him in his contractual negotiations. Things have come into place for him this season, and getting married/having a kid have played on role in him growing. Or at least, this is what Masai thinks.
Rene_13 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
playing basketball

Member
 
andris213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 283
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
While that'd be a strong squad with D overall and consistent shooting from the 3 at the wings, you have to get Rondo to stay here.
I think with a team like that we would have no problem getting him to commit long term and Dwayne Casey would be drooling with the defensive potential we could have
andris213 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
@ www.raptorman.ca

RF Affiliate

 
Raptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,133
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Raptorman
Default

Hard to compare KL to anyone we have had in the past. No one has led the Raptors like he has this season.

Question is. Does he keep it up after he gets paid.
Raptorman is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,477
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post
Hard to compare KL to anyone we have had in the past. No one has led the Raptors like he has this season.

Question is. Does he keep it up after he gets paid.
He did last time
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Schweinsteiger7

Senior Member
 
Rene_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,007
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post
Hard to compare KL to anyone we have had in the past. No one has led the Raptors like he has this season.

Question is. Does he keep it up after he gets paid.
I think if this isn't just some fluke, which all signs point away from this, he continues this type of form if healthy. He's still quite young at 27, and could sign a 4 year here, and play his way into even a larger payday. I think it's in his best interest to continue this play. Skill wise, he seems to be able to do it, it's a matter of health, and his mindset. Both of which, knock on wood, look solid at this point. It's still a question nonetheless.
Rene_13 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

He doesn't seem like someone that is in it just for the money. He has figured out how to make the most of his competitive nature. That has helped him on and off the court, and most importantly, brought results. I think the money will be gravy for him, and he will keep his head on straight, appreciate being able to establish himself here, and look to further his career as much as he can. If he goes back to being a pain, then he'll only make himself unhappy, so it doesn't seem like it would be a natural tendency.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,163
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Houston
Miami
NYK
LAL
NYK's not an option (seriously, can't even sign and trade for him, even if Anthony walks). MIA's only an option if they lose one of the big three, or the three collectively take about a 15M paycut. HOU will not have cap space (or not much) so we'd have major leverage if they wanted him (S+T only option).

Lakers, yes.
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene_13 View Post
I think if this isn't just some fluke, which all signs point away from this, he continues this type of form if healthy. He's still quite young at 27, and could sign a 4 year here, and play his way into even a larger payday. I think it's in his best interest to continue this play. Skill wise, he seems to be able to do it, it's a matter of health, and his mindset. Both of which, knock on wood, look solid at this point. It's still a question nonetheless.
I feel like he's young enough and has a long enough track record to say that he can keep this up. This is the first time he's shown this level for an extended period of time but he's had short periods in the past where he was this good. I think the contract year might have something to do with it but his style has always been an all out game so he's always going to play at his "peak" level. Its more a matter of whether his jump shot falls consistently so his stats will either look more like 40-50% FG or 30-40% FG, which will also make a difference in his PPG output. I can see a slight drop off but I think overall he's arrived as a legit starting PG for a good team. Not sure if he will re-sign here. I think it all depends on whether or not he feels continuing with this team's rise is important to him or whether jumping ship to another championship competitor is easier. It also depends on whether Masai has another PG card up his sleeve or not, but knowing this franchise he doesn't. I feel like Lowry knows his value is probably as high as its ever been so unless he completely flops the rest of the season and in the playoffs he's going to be in high demand in the offseason. He will likely re-sign quickly with the Raptors or he will remain an FA for a long time until he sees what the team does with its roster and see if he wants to come back to whatever it ends up being.
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #31 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,047
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
NYK's not an option (seriously, can't even sign and trade for him, even if Anthony walks). MIA's only an option if they lose one of the big three, or the three collectively take about a 15M paycut. HOU will not have cap space (or not much) so we'd have major leverage if they wanted him (S+T only option).

Lakers, yes.
I was going to write the same thing. In Miami, if the big 3 re-sign, I doubt they'll take paycuts. They already did that when they signed their first contracts. Miami also doesn't want to pay the luxury tax, so that's a big consideration.

Houston is well over the cap for next year. They have a projected $71M+ on their cap.

The Knicks are a pipe dream. They have no assets they could deal in a sign-and-trade.

The Lakers are a possibility, but I think they'll focus their efforts first on landing a marquee FA. I also see them going after Bledsoe first before Lowry.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #32 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I was going to write the same thing. In Miami, if the big 3 re-sign, I doubt they'll take paycuts. They already did that when they signed their first contracts. Miami also doesn't want to pay the luxury tax, so that's a big consideration.

Houston is well over the cap for next year. They have a projected $71M+ on their cap.

The Knicks are a pipe dream. They have no assets they could deal in a sign-and-trade.

The Lakers are a possibility, but I think they'll focus their efforts first on landing a marquee FA. I also see them going after Bledsoe first before Lowry.
I'm not disagreeing but you fail to take into account that at the end of the day "star" level players get all the say they want. If someone like Lowry really wants to go somewhere like say NY and the Knicks really want him, it just takes some creative dealing to get someone where they want. Also, if a player really wants to leave you're not going to want him lingering around the team anymore. I'm not saying this is the case with Lowry but this is a very realistic scenario when it comes to the NBA and its upper level players.
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #33 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,047
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I'm not disagreeing but you fail to take into account that at the end of the day "star" level players get all the say they want. If someone like Lowry really wants to go somewhere like say NY and the Knicks really want him, it just takes some creative dealing to get someone where they want. Also, if a player really wants to leave you're not going to want him lingering around the team anymore. I'm not saying this is the case with Lowry but this is a very realistic scenario when it comes to the NBA and its upper level players.
The only way Lowry moves to NY is if he signs for the LLE. That's not going to happen. NY has no cap space, no assets to pull off a sign-and-trade (well Hardaway, but he's apparently untouchable), and they don't have the MLE because they're paying the luxury tax again.

Even if Anthony walks, the Knicks' cap will be at $68M. How they will find a way to shed another $20M to get enough room under the cap to sign Lowry is nearly impossible. And if the Knicks dismantled their team, why would Lowry want to go there?

If Anthony stays put, the Knicks will have $90M+ on their cap.

There's being "creative" and then there's being realistic about a team's ability to be creative.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,163
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
The only way Lowry moves to NY is if he signs for the LLE. That's not going to happen. NY has no cap space, no assets to pull off a sign-and-trade (well Hardaway, but he's apparently untouchable), and they don't have the MLE because they're paying the luxury tax again.

Even if Anthony walks, the Knicks' cap will be at $68M. How they will find a way to shed another $20M to get enough room under the cap to sign Lowry is nearly impossible. And if the Knicks dismantled their team, why would Lowry want to go there?

If Anthony stays put, the Knicks will have $90M+ on their cap.

There's being "creative" and then there's being realistic about a team's ability to be creative.
If Anthony walks, then there's no way they give up assets in a S+T for Lowry, and there's no way Ujiri takes back junk. And if he stays, the CBA prevents them from participating in a S+T.
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24