Rivers Thinks He'd Be Good Fit With Raptors - Page 3
Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 8,349
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

Andrew Wiggins, sorry off topic, but this guy from Toronto Canada can play, comparisons to Durant? :0 Austin Rivers was huge in HS too, then AD happend.
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #42 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,780
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
That sounds about right
Is disagree but whatever
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,983
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
Rivers is a small 2 or a scoring PG who doesnt have any PG ability. Taking him at 8 will set us back another 2 years. He isnt a suiperathletic freak like Ellis where he can get to the rim at will and finish with a variety of shots, nor is he anywhere near a great shooter to be able to score consistently from the outside.

The guy is a tweener who is destined for a Jamal Crawford type of career at best, and he doesnt have anywhere near the handles Jamal has.

What makes Rivers a starting caliber player? His shot? No. His passing ability? No. Can he play within an offensive system where he doesnt go ISO and hold the ball? No. Defence?Hell no. Ability to make others better? LOL.

If we pick Rivers I'll break my tv. Even the dudes conditioning is awful:

Austin Rivers Does The '7 Drill' At Washington Wizards' Workout - YouTube

That video makes Lillard look amazing in comparison (compared to Lillard's Sac workout video).

When I see these 3 or 4 minutes clip, I always wonder at what point during the workout are they taking place. Is this after a previous hour of drills? During the first half-hour? It's hard to tell if he is loafing or just really tired.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #44 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
DonMughal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 4,180
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristTrip View Post
Andrew Wiggins, sorry off topic, but this guy from Toronto Canada can play, comparisons to Durant? :0 Austin Rivers was huge in HS too, then AD happend.
What happened to Adonis Thomas?
DonMughal is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #45 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,934
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
Rivers is a small 2 or a scoring PG who doesnt have any PG ability. Taking him at 8 will set us back another 2 years. He isnt a suiperathletic freak like Ellis where he can get to the rim at will and finish with a variety of shots, nor is he anywhere near a great shooter to be able to score consistently from the outside.

The guy is a tweener who is destined for a Jamal Crawford type of career at best, and he doesnt have anywhere near the handles Jamal has.

What makes Rivers a starting caliber player? His shot? No. His passing ability? No. Can he play within an offensive system where he doesnt go ISO and hold the ball? No. Defence?Hell no. Ability to make others better? LOL.

If we pick Rivers I'll break my tv. Even the dudes conditioning is awful:

Austin Rivers Does The '7 Drill' At Washington Wizards' Workout - YouTube
after watching that I'd say the raps should pick Pzabby with the eight overall pick. I'm a better shooter, have better conditioning, and actually hustle when trying out for a possible top five pick

pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #46 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,778
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
after watching that I'd say the raps should pick Pzabby with the eight overall pick. I'm a better shooter, have better conditioning, and actually hustle when trying out for a possible top five pick

you ain't hustlin me today on spending my 8th pick
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #47 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,934
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
you ain't hustlin me today on spending my 8th pick
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #48 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,322
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
I don't think that would last however - and I think you don't agree? - but Rivers playing the pg is were I would like to see him play more. He would definitely become a threat from that position with his size, his shot and cross over dribble which would open it up for everyone else (he can also defend that position better than what we have). I can see Rivers developing into a pg that avg 5-6+apg based on his ability to break others down - something that we all wished the Raps had. (and who better to coach Rivers on the sly than his papi, Doc). This is were Iggy would be a huge asset from the SF spot with his 3 and passing ability. Rivers also has that swagger and cockiness that could develop into a strong leader that the team needs and definitely from that position.

Rivers/DD/AI/Bargs/JV.....I actually like the balance of that line defensively and offensively. As well I like that this line could handle switches much more efficiently than what the Raps are currently fielding.
I like that
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #49 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,322
Representing:
Default

I thought Austin Rivers was black lol. Doc must have a white wife. Shows how much I know.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #50 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
Rivers is a small 2 or a scoring PG who doesnt have any PG ability. Taking him at 8 will set us back another 2 years. He isnt a suiperathletic freak like Ellis where he can get to the rim at will and finish with a variety of shots, nor is he anywhere near a great shooter to be able to score consistently from the outside.

The guy is a tweener who is destined for a Jamal Crawford type of career at best, and he doesnt have anywhere near the handles Jamal has.

What makes Rivers a starting caliber player? His shot? No. His passing ability? No. Can he play within an offensive system where he doesnt go ISO and hold the ball? No. Defence?Hell no. Ability to make others better? LOL.

If we pick Rivers I'll break my tv. Even the dudes conditioning is awful:
i think the issue is that you're looking at for starter at the 8th. i don't think many are looking at him as a possible starting off-guard or point guard more than we're looking at him as a strong 6th man. you look at any winning team and you'll see a player of rivers potential impact out on the court, whether it be crawford, berea, lou williams, manu, harden, mayo. this is the type of player we need on our team if we're looking towards the future. i'm not exactly sure what you'll be looking for at the 8th that wouldn't be setting us back two years since most are in the same calibre unless someone falls down to us like barnes.

based off of reports, we're looking at the likes of lamb, rivers, waiters, beal and ross with our pick. i don't see any of them destined for more than a jamal crawford type career. like it or not, crawford has had a very productive career, that's only what we can really hope for.

and i want pics of your tv
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #51 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

As long as the raps don't do something idiotic like draft a SG and then play DD at SF. DD, Bargs and JonasV would be the softest frontcourt in the league. A rookie and two players who are all offense (one of which can only do 1-2 things on offense).
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #52 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 895
Representing:
Default

we're the 8th pick and we lack a player with his skill set (bay less is a failed project imo) therefore, of course he thinks he'd be a good fit for us lol
jrob23 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #53 (permalink)
rootin for the eagles, boise state, the leafs, raps, and jays

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,563
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
I don't think that would last however - and I think you don't agree? - but Rivers playing the pg is were I would like to see him play more. He would definitely become a threat from that position with his size, his shot and cross over dribble which would open it up for everyone else (he can also defend that position better than what we have). I can see Rivers developing into a pg that avg 5-6+apg based on his ability to break others down - something that we all wished the Raps had. (and who better to coach Rivers on the sly than his papi, Doc). This is were Iggy would be a huge asset from the SF spot with his 3 and passing ability. Rivers also has that swagger and cockiness that could develop into a strong leader that the team needs and definitely from that position.

Rivers/DD/AI/Bargs/JV.....I actually like the balance of that line defensively and offensively. As well I like that this line could handle switches much more efficiently than what the Raps are currently fielding.
How do you plan on keeping DD, our pick, Bargs and getting AI? Thats not realistic...


On a side note.... I want beal still

Last edited by Chiggmo; 06-17-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Chiggmo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #54 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,934
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
i think the issue is that you're looking at for starter at the 8th. i don't think many are looking at him as a possible starting off-guard or point guard more than we're looking at him as a strong 6th man. you look at any winning team and you'll see a player of rivers potential impact out on the court, whether it be crawford, berea, lou williams, manu, harden, mayo. this is the type of player we need on our team if we're looking towards the future. i'm not exactly sure what you'll be looking for at the 8th that wouldn't be setting us back two years since most are in the same calibre unless someone falls down to us like barnes.

based off of reports, we're looking at the likes of lamb, rivers, waiters, beal and ross with our pick. i don't see any of them destined for more than a jamal crawford type career. like it or not, crawford has had a very productive career, that's only what we can really hope for.

and i want pics of your tv
we can't get beal, if anything beal will be picked before barnes, so if he drops, we'll be more likely to get barnes. Both beal and barnes are looking to be quality starters, both with having all star potential. I don't know how on earth you compare that to a crawford type career.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #55 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Waiters > Rivers
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #56 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

its not a mystery that austin rivers would be a good fit here, he plays the position we are in need of, he joins a team full of young and up and coming players, etc.

its just a matter of if we think he's good enough to be the #8 pick, i think this is the case where the Raptors actually have the upper hand whether we want him or not
at least it seems like this class of rookies has a general good attitude about joining the raptors
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #57 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,493
Representing:
Default

I've been trying to come up with a good comparison for Rivers, but the best I could come up with was a smaller, quicker Brandon Roy. Would that be a fair comparison?
Dark Knight is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #58 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,983
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
i think the issue is that you're looking at for starter at the 8th. i don't think many are looking at him as a possible starting off-guard or point guard more than we're looking at him as a strong 6th man. you look at any winning team and you'll see a player of rivers potential impact out on the court, whether it be crawford, berea, lou williams, manu, harden, mayo. this is the type of player we need on our team if we're looking towards the future. i'm not exactly sure what you'll be looking for at the 8th that wouldn't be setting us back two years since most are in the same calibre unless someone falls down to us like barnes.

based off of reports, we're looking at the likes of lamb, rivers, waiters, beal and ross with our pick. i don't see any of them destined for more than a jamal crawford type career. like it or not, crawford has had a very productive career, that's only what we can really hope for.

and i want pics of your tv
I see what you're saying about getting an elite 6th man. I think Beal could end up like Ben Gordon. The good Ben Gordon though. The Ben Gordon that won 6th man of the year, and dropped 50 in a playoff game. Not the Gordon who fucked up his ankle in Detroit and never found his old game again.

Here's to hoping he slips.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #59 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
we can't get beal, if anything beal will be picked before barnes, so if he drops, we'll be more likely to get barnes. Both beal and barnes are looking to be quality starters, both with having all star potential. I don't know how on earth you compare that to a crawford type career.
you don't know if we can or can't get beal. it's more likely he'll fall than he'll be a top four pick. he's stock is extremely overrated right now.

are you saying that jamal crawford had a bad career? he had all-star potential when he was drafted as well. the reality of it was that he was a very good effective scorer off the bench, something that is essential for a good team with depth. we don't know the reality of outcome of these players, but i'll definitely tell you one thing for sure, the scouts predictions and comparisons are more often wrong than they are right.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #60 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,983
Representing:
Default

I don't always agree with Claudius but I think his prediction that Beal slips could happen. Claudius called that a couple of weeks ago. If Beal falls outside the top 4, the odds that he falls to us really go up, since Sac, Portland and GS don't need a SG. I even think if he falls outside the top 3, there is a very, very good chance he slips. Although his measurements weren't too bad, I think Beal is a bit small to play in a backcourt with Irving. Playing together, they give up quite a bit of length. I think Cleveland takes Barnes or MKG, if they're available.

In my opinion, things get interesting if MKG and Barnes go #2 and #3. Does Cleveland take Beal over Robinson just because they already have Thompson? It's totally a hunch, but I don't see Cleveland taking Beal.


Edit - well, if a recent report in the Akron Journal is true, Cleveland is more interested in Beal or Barnes than a big. I guess it was wisful thinking on my part, to expect them to be concerned about size problems with a Beal/Irving backcourt.

Last edited by Bill Haverchuck; 06-17-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24