Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   RF Flashback: How will Jamario do this season? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/rf-flashback-how-will-jamario-do-season-5.html)

lang 12-03-2007 12:52 AM

RF Flashback: How will Jamario do this season?
 
There's no doubt that Jamario Moon is turning heads around the NBA, most notably here in the city of Toronto. Since the departure of Vince Carter's high flying court feats, it seems that Jamario may be the next Raptor player to fill the highlight reels on a regular basis. Toronto fans are simply salivating at the thought.

There has been talk of putting him into this year's slam dunk contest, and the NBA Rookie Rankings now have him 2nd in the race to Rookie Of The Year only behind Kevin Durant. Granted, it's very early in the season, but do you believe that Jamario has a future with the franchise as well as a solid career ahead of him in the league?

Clearly he has the athleticism and the basketball instincts to carry him forward, but for a 27 year old player who is just breaking into the NBA after years of mediocrity, will this finally be his time to be a great basketball star?

Benzo 12-03-2007 01:43 AM

I would really like to see Jamario, play within himself. I would hate to see him start trying to do too much. Doesn't strike me as a guy who reads his own press though..accually in interviews he sounds kinda like Sling Blade.

His jumper makes me nervous too....but defensivly he is great.

Claudius 12-03-2007 01:59 AM

He kicks his leg out on his jumper. It's a weird motion in his mechanics. But he gets alot of height on his initial leap. I think if Dave Hoopla was still our shooting coach I'd be intrigued what he could do for Jamario. If anything his jump shot hold him back.

Otherwise than that, I mean, he's done incredibly well so far. He does alot of the "garbage" things and he plays within his role. If the Raps EVER tried to make him the focal point of an offense THEN we're screwed.

lang 12-03-2007 02:00 AM

His jumper makes me nervous too.

A lot of it has to do with his sheer athleticism. It gives him a very raw edge that doesn't seem polished enough to carry any consistency at this stage, although to his credit, he's doing quite well.

But I have to agree. Things seem to be moving a little too fast, and Jamario should keep his game simple. He's only being asked by the coaching staff to bring energy, defense, and rebounding, and I think it's best he go the way of the Hump, and know his role for a while.

Benzo 12-03-2007 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lang (Post 27)
His jumper makes me nervous too.

A lot of it has to do with his sheer athleticism. It gives him a very raw edge that doesn't seem polished enough to carry any consistency at this stage, although to his credit, he's doing quite well.

But I have to agree. Things seem to be moving a little too fast, and Jamario should keep his game simple. He's only being asked by the coaching staff to bring energy, defense, and rebounding, and I think it's best he go the way of the Hump, and know his role for a while.

I think its best for hump to go to the end of the pine...lol.

Tommy2Tymes 12-03-2007 02:11 AM

I cringe every time he takes a jumper, but i can stomach it when he's hitting them(as is anyone else i would assume). I think he can be a solid contributor for the team, but I would wait on the ROY campaign until after December when teams have a better look at him and can prepare for him better the 2nd time around.

Not sure if anyone has caught it yet, but Gilbert Arenas mentions him in his newest blog post http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=300017383

I really do understand about all the commentors telling me that I ruined their fantasy basketball team. Iím very sorry, but thatís what fantasy basketball is all about. It happens. When Iím healthy, pick me back up, please. Donít trade me for somebody like Jamario Moon or somebody else whoís on the rise. You can borrow Jamario for now, but donít trade me for him.

Its definitely nice to have a guy that will get some exposure down south on highlight reels on espn.

Benzo 12-03-2007 02:12 AM

Nice find....I'm still not sure how I fell about Gilbert.

Tommy2Tymes 12-03-2007 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzo (Post 28)
I think its best for hump to go to the end of the pine...lol.

Hump needs to watch some tape of Dennis Rodman, Buck Williams, maybe some Charles Oakley too and carve a niche for himself, b/c there is no way he will be a scorer in the league. How he led the Big Ten in scoring and rebounding is beyond me, must have all been dunks.

Dr. J. Naismith 12-03-2007 07:56 AM

I love Raptors ball and I always have, but my enthusiasm hasn't been as high as it was years ago when the Raps and Vince were at their peak, but I'm finding myself excited once again and mostly because I love watching Moon play. The guy is so fluid in everything he does (OK, maybe not shooting) which keeps me on my toes because ya never know what highlight reel play he'll make next.

Definitely the feel good story for this season so far.

Claudius 12-03-2007 11:30 AM

What get's me personally excited for Moon is he is one of the FEW Raptors who is willing to initiate contact and drive the lane. He's continuously crashing the boards, trying to create from nothing. It's a welcome addition in the face of a team that would rather take a jump shot.

And Tom, I agree, Hump needs to STOP thinking he's a damn offensive machine. Honestly, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the guy could EASILY be our Ben Wallace type of player. Instead, he refuses to believe that his offensive game is atrocious. If he JUST focuses on rebounding and playing good D then we have our replacement for Rasho and it gives us more options in the future to our lineup.

Acie 12-03-2007 12:41 PM

Hump pisses me off when he get's an offensive rebound. It's like he's playing horse and that he's entitled to shoot the ball from wherever he catches it (I know I've used this one before, but it never gets old). Throw it out and reset, you've got a fresh shot clock.

Moon is awesome. However, I worry about his durability over the course of an 82 game schedule. He seems pretty frail to me.

Dr. J. Naismith 12-03-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACIEEARL40 (Post 108)
Moon is awesome. However, I worry about his durability over the course of an 82 game schedule. He seems pretty frail to me.

Really, why do you say that? If anything, I was pretty impressed with this aggressiveness and stamina to date and I think he'll be fine through the season. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I see your point. :confused:

Acie 12-03-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith (Post 113)
Really, why do you say that? If anything, I was pretty impressed with this aggressiveness and stamina to date and I think he'll be fine through the season. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I see your point. :confused:

He's pretty slight and I just have a feeling that playing more games and minutes than he's ever played, against bigger, stronger athletes than he's ever played against, he's going to break down. It happened to Jorge before he got hurt last year. However, I hope I'm wrong.

Belsius 12-03-2007 03:30 PM

Only thing he has to do is to keep this rythm all year long and he will be a top 5 rookie. He will play the rookie all star, and he has a posibility in the Dunk constest, so he will get a lot of publicity. Lets hope it doesnt get to his head.

INSIDER 12-03-2007 03:49 PM

i love the kid... err man.
my only fear is that this rise in status will catch up to him or get to his head.
i fear that he will try to hard...
his game is a "flow" game, where he allows the game to come to him and he "flows" perfectly in it. he doesnt have to try to hard to do anything, he just has to mix it up and he'll get the job done.
he's a blue collar hustler who is successful due to his athleticism.
However, this could all spoil if he tries to hard and presses.
I noticed this last game vs the Wizards where on a few occasions he tried to hard to get a shot up or take it to the rim... he has to remember to let the game come to him and not to force anything.

he has to take his time and not rush... be confident in himself, his coaches, and his teamates...

he needs to calm down and go with the flow, and he'll be fine.
i can easily see him avg 14/8 by the end of the year.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 12-05-2007 10:05 AM

Anyone with Moon's athleticism that is willing to play defence and rebound is going to have a job in this league. Him getting the starting gig and 40mpg has just given the guy a career in the nba...and he's helping us out too. I think the shot will come... he's always shot well with range in other leagues...i think he will settle down that way but in the meantime he's not really forcing his offensive game and is focussing effectively on defence. He'll be at the rookie softmore game and man is he going to put on a show there :D

Toebee 12-07-2008 03:31 PM

Wanted to look at some old posts and look at this one about Moon.

This is a real good read. Read all the posts by 1 year later and you guys are like Nostradamus. Lol. Has he changed from last year this time?

The MVP of West Hollywood 12-07-2008 03:42 PM

nvm.

Dr. J. Naismith 12-07-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith (Post 36)
I love Raptors ball and I always have, but my enthusiasm hasn't been as high as it was years ago when the Raps and Vince were at their peak, but I'm finding myself excited once again and mostly because I love watching Moon play. The guy is so fluid in everything he does (OK, maybe not shooting) which keeps me on my toes because ya never know what highlight reel play he'll make next.

Definitely the feel good story for this season so far.

Ugh .... what was I thinking? :(

LX 12-07-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith (Post 89123)
Ugh .... what was I thinking? :(

Hey Doc - the guy just got super soft. I can\'t think of any one player whose game changed so much. But that kind of thing happens once teams realize something like there\'s no tolerance for any kind of contact.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24