RaptorTalk: Bosh's Star Will Always Shine Brightest In Toronto

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,245
Representing:
Default RaptorTalk: Bosh's Star Will Always Shine Brightest In Toronto



Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorTalk.com
Because he would be leaving $30 million on the table, I don’t really expect Chris Bosh to walk away from the Toronto Raptors as a free agent in 2010.

Admittedly, there is a slim possibility Bosh could leave if the Raptors collapse (again) and struggle through a miserable 20 win season. Even then, my bet in that scenario is that Bryan Colangelo would move Bosh at the trade deadline and not let him walk with nothing in return.

There have been some rumblings that Chris Bosh feels like he would enjoy a higher profile in another market. Our sources reported to us months ago that Bosh has told those around him that being in Toronto has been somewhat detrimental insofar that he feels the lights of many other NBA stars shine brighter than his.

In today’s Toronto Sun, columnist Steve Simmons addressed that exact issue when he wrote:

“ What Chris Bosh doesn't seem to understand: He won't be a celebrity anywhere else he goes in the NBA. Especially if he goes to a team with LeBron James or Dwayne Wade. He'll just be the other guy.

There won't be companies wanting him to do DVDs or CDs or whatever the latest technology is. Here, he matters. Somewhere else, not so much.”

I couldn't agree more.

Brian James was 100% correct

Almost ten years ago, I was riding in a limo with then Raptors assistant coach, Brian James (one of the NBA’s real good guys). He told me that in his NBA career he had never come across a fan base like the one the Raptors enjoy. “What do you mean?”, I asked.

Brian responded by saying that he knew of no other fans who fall in love with their players like Raptors fans do. He went on to say that Chicago fans revered Michael Jordan in a manner which was beyond comparison – but James felt that the love that (then Toronto Raptors) Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady received surpassed by light years anything he had seen in the NBA except for Air Jordan.

Brian went on to say, “if Vince or T-Mac were to ever leave Toronto, they would never be as popular or enjoy the complete fan adoration that they receive in Toronto.” Reflecting back on that statement, Brian was spot on!

And that brings us to Steve Simmons’ point. Should Bosh leave the Raptors, he will discover that wherever he lands, he will not enjoy the celebrity status he gets north of the border.

We've watched this story play out before

Maybe that’s why when Vince, T-Mac and Damon Stoudamire announced a desire to leave the Big Smoke they were immediately branded as public enemy #1, #1A and #1AA. Toronto fans are like jilted lovers who turn very quickly after they've been spurned.

Vince, Tracy and Damon were absolutely and completely worshipped by the Raptor faithful when they were here. Yet when they left, the fans in their new cities did not shower them with the adoration they received in Canada. Not even close.

Are you paying attention Chris?
Source - RaptorTalk: Bosh's Star Will Always Shine Brightest In Toronto
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Steve always steals my point of view.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 80,249
Representing:
Don't his rights go with him if he's traded this summer. In other words, let's say we trade him this summer to the GSW, it gives them the chance to give him more money then anyone to re-sign him next summer? No matter who gets him in a trade this summer, it would give them the upper hand. So no matter where he is next summer he could get that extra 30Mil, no?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
grown, and now everything is logical.

Senior Member
 
MetaLRasaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 532
Representing:
Default

What you guys seems to miss is the fact that maybe Bosh isn't really into being the celebrity in town.

Maybe he just wants to win.

Then what?
MetaLRasaM is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,944
Representing:
Default

then he wouldn't be twittering and youtube-ing his way onto every computer screen he can...
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaLRasaM View Post
What you guys seems to miss is the fact that maybe Bosh isn't really into being the celebrity in town.
bullshit. he certainly is.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 80,249
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaLRasaM View Post
What you guys seems to miss is the fact that maybe Bosh isn't really into being the celebrity in town.
You mean Mr. Youtube? Mr.. look at my All-star video. Or are you actually thinking about one of his altar ego characters? Please, this guy's a pig for attention!

Ohhh, don't forget.....go to www.Chris-Bosh.com and cast your vote "ain't that right bubba"!!

Last edited by jeffb; 06-08-2009 at 11:31 AM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

There was a SLAM article I read back in either Bosh's rookie or sophomore season about how he enjoyed being the underdog and was looking forward to getting it done under the radar.

Things done changed.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath
 
Ligeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,098
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Don't his rights go with him if he's traded this summer. In other words, let's say we trade him this summer to the GSW, it gives them the chance to give him more money then anyone to re-sign him next summer? No matter who gets him in a trade this summer, it would give them the upper hand. So no matter where he is next summer he could get that extra 30Mil, no?
Correct. His Bird Rights go with him to wherever he is traded.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 80,249
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
Correct. His Bird Rights go with him to wherever he is traded.
So isn't that insentive for someone to trade for him. They then either re-sign him giving him more then anyone else can or do so in a S&T next summer.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,692
Representing:
Default

i honestly think whoever makes a play for Bosh will kill themselves financially.
Teams pretty much know that Bosh is that 'second piece'. he isnt a fully blown superstar that will lead a team into greatness. he's the robin, who will be a perfect compliment sidekick-type player and will help a superstar get to that higher level.
unfortunately, in order to get him, team's will need to overpay for his services... max deal maybe? a deal i dont think he's deserving of... a deal many would say he is not deserving of.
you sign CB to a huge contract and you kill yourself financially. why? because you already have a superstar on your team. you pay Bosh Superstar salary, yet he'll only be the second fiddle guy.
on a team in which he isnt the main piece, his numbers will drop dramatically.
you'll be paying him for 22/11 stats, yet you'll get 17/8 in return. just watch.
CB will turn second fiddle, his numbers will fall, and he'll handcuff any future team financially.

the CB that we all know and love will be no more come 2010 and beyond.
lately, he's all about being in the spot light, being an attention whore and putting his face on tv... if he leaves TO, he's going to lose his allstar status and just be another overpaid good second fiddle-type player.
just watch.
INSIDER is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
i honestly think whoever makes a play for Bosh will kill themselves financially.
Teams pretty much know that Bosh is that 'second piece'. he isnt a fully blown superstar that will lead a team into greatness. he's the robin, who will be a perfect compliment sidekick-type player and will help a superstar get to that higher level.
unfortunately, in order to get him, team's will need to overpay for his services... max deal maybe? a deal i dont think he's deserving of... a deal many would say he is not deserving of.
you sign CB to a huge contract and you kill yourself financially. why? because you already have a superstar on your team. you pay Bosh Superstar salary, yet he'll only be the second fiddle guy.
on a team in which he isnt the main piece, his numbers will drop dramatically.
you'll be paying him for 22/11 stats, yet you'll get 17/8 in return. just watch.
CB will turn second fiddle, his numbers will fall, and he'll handcuff any future team financially.

the CB that we all know and love will be no more come 2010 and beyond.
lately, he's all about being in the spot light, being an attention whore and putting his face on tv... if he leaves TO, he's going to lose his allstar status and just be another overpaid good second fiddle-type player.
just watch.
what about teams that can afford to go over the luxury tax?


Bosh might get Vince Carter Syndrome (check a medical dictionary)
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Unacceptable?! Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Get off my lawn
 
Renihan_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,373
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
i honestly think whoever makes a play for Bosh will kill themselves financially.
Teams pretty much know that Bosh is that 'second piece'. he isnt a fully blown superstar that will lead a team into greatness. he's the robin, who will be a perfect compliment sidekick-type player and will help a superstar get to that higher level.
unfortunately, in order to get him, team's will need to overpay for his services... max deal maybe? a deal i dont think he's deserving of... a deal many would say he is not deserving of.
you sign CB to a huge contract and you kill yourself financially. why? because you already have a superstar on your team. you pay Bosh Superstar salary, yet he'll only be the second fiddle guy.
on a team in which he isnt the main piece, his numbers will drop dramatically.
you'll be paying him for 22/11 stats, yet you'll get 17/8 in return. just watch.
CB will turn second fiddle, his numbers will fall, and he'll handcuff any future team financially.

the CB that we all know and love will be no more come 2010 and beyond.
lately, he's all about being in the spot light, being an attention whore and putting his face on tv... if he leaves TO, he's going to lose his allstar status and just be another overpaid good second fiddle-type player.
just watch.
I have had enough of Bosh and his crap. Honestly, I just don't want him around anymore. I think he HAS become a media whore, that's all he cares about.

I've sick of Lebron and his not shaking hands garbage.

I'm sick of all of this. PLAY THE GAME!

The whole thing is making me sick and is turning me off the sport. Greedy mother fuckers.
Renihan_00 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,944
Representing:
Default

but greed is good, isn't it reni?
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,692
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO2988 View Post
what about teams that can afford to go over the luxury tax?


Bosh might get Vince Carter Syndrome (check a medical dictionary)
in this day and age, there isnt many teams that are willing to do that...
NY is the only one that really comes to mind.

realistically though, what teams currently have 2 Max players?

the teams that are in talks about making a play for Bosh have been Cleveland, Miami, and NY.

lets look at the scenerios...
cleveland - will have 2 max players... and and even worse bunch of scrubs now.
out of all the teams, i can see the cavs as the front runners for Bosh. they are so concerned about making Lebron happy, they dont see the big picture. they think they need one really good player to compliment lebron, but fact is, they need 2 or 3 really good pieces, not just one and a bunch of scrubs.

Miami is is financial despair right now and i dont see them going overboard to pay CB when they have to max out Wade.

NY has the cash, but will only have one star in bosh, and we've seen firsthand that he isnt a winner on a bad team.
INSIDER is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
in this day and age, there isnt many teams that are willing to do that...
NY is the only one that really comes to mind.

realistically though, what teams currently have 2 Max players?

the teams that are in talks about making a play for Bosh have been Cleveland, Miami, and NY.

lets look at the scenerios...
cleveland - will have 2 max players... and and even worse bunch of scrubs now.
out of all the teams, i can see the cavs as the front runners for Bosh. they are so concerned about making Lebron happy, they dont see the big picture. they think they need one really good player to compliment lebron, but fact is, they need 2 or 3 really good pieces, not just one and a bunch of scrubs.

Miami is is financial despair right now and i dont see them going overboard to pay CB when they have to max out Wade.

NY has the cash, but will only have one star in bosh, and we've seen firsthand that he isnt a winner on a bad team.
you forgot Dallas
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,063
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renihan_00 View Post
I have had enough of Bosh and his crap. Honestly, I just don't want him around anymore. I think he HAS become a media whore, that's all he cares about.

I've sick of Lebron and his not shaking hands garbage.

I'm sick of all of this. PLAY THE GAME!

The whole thing is making me sick and is turning me off the sport. Greedy mother fuckers.
I can't really disagree, but who has made it possible for so much off-court shit to be thrown around? We have. We eat it up. Even in disliking it so much.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Unacceptable?! Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Get off my lawn
 
Renihan_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,373
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
but greed is good, isn't it reni?
It is when you are greedy for the right things.
Renihan_00 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,811
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
realistically though, what teams currently have 2 Max players?
The teams that are making noise in the playoffs.

Lakers (Kobe, Gasol)
Boston (Garnett, Pierce, Ray Allen)
Orlando (Howard, Rashard Lewis)

Lets not forget Denver with 4 players making 10 million plus:

(Anthony, Billups, Nene, Martin)


Elite talent wins in the playoffs. Elite talent also get paid. Why do you think teams like Miami and Cleveland are desperately searching for another all-star player for Lebron & Wade. Its because even though the have one of the best PLAYERs in the NBA, they know he cannot do it alone. We have one of the young elite players in the league, and we want to trade him away. Does not make sense!!! Keep him, pay him, and build around him.

Last edited by RAPMAN; 06-08-2009 at 02:55 PM.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,312
Representing:
Default

altho i agree with most of the article, the stuff about tmac being loved here more then anywhere is bs, he barely got burn here and as one of the very, very, VERY few that had a Tmac jersey instead of VC jersey, believe me, i was in a extreme minority and ppl would be like why dont u get a VC jersey.... i was like prob cuz Tmac is better ;P Tmac didnt become a household name in the league til after he left Toronto.

BTW i believe Gasol makes 15mil not max, Howard is still on his rookie scale contract, thats not real max, KG restructured and makes 16mil this year, Pierce and Allen are basically max, which is why Boston is in cap hell long term and looking to deal Allen and prob having to throw in a very valuble cheap piece like Rondo to do it.

Last edited by Ugo Ferst; 06-08-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Ugo Ferst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Young Team Has the Brightest Future? Dark Knight NBA Talk 25 01-04-2010 04:39 AM
BOSH'S TORONTO-FILMED DVD SHOWS HIM FEELING AT HOME IN CANADA Ex2k Toronto Raptors 6 12-10-2009 04:18 PM
Shine on JL Acie Entertainment Lounge 8 12-08-2009 10:22 PM
Arenas on Bosh's All-Star Voting Videos Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 4 01-16-2008 05:06 PM
Grange: Bosh's all-star status is far from clear Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 9 01-04-2008 02:33 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24