Raptors working hard to move Lowry/Derozan, price very high? - Page 6
Old 12-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #101 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,890
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
it would be good for the tank, if he's not so under the gun to win now. With job security, he's not stupid, he knows getting a good draft pick will make his job easier next season.
Hate it. Casey clearly doesnt have a clue on how to develop our best asset, so having him for another season would only further hinder JVs development which would set us back even longer. That and I cant stand his incompetent coaching in general for another year.

We need to hire a good coach in the off season, that should be priority #1 before the draft.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #102 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,402
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Don't Lie View Post
Hate it. Casey clearly doesnt have a clue on how to develop our best asset, so having him for another season would only further hinder JVs development which would set us back even longer. That and I cant stand his incompetent coaching in general for another year.

We need to hire a good coach in the off season, that should be priority #1 before the draft.
we don't know if casey doesn't know, or can't afford to. He's coaching for his career probably, so his interests are not aligned with the team's long term view. Extending him will allow him to focus on the future more and less on short term success.

and I don't think he's that incompetent - stupid mistakes notwithstanding. We're playing hard, our defense is overachieving (given the material) and our offense is looking better.

Plus, who you're going to replace him with, it will have to be a gamble on a young coach - it may be worse. We're not getting a big time name with this roster, that's for sure.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #103 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,890
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
we don't know if casey doesn't know, or can't afford to. He's coaching for his career probably, so his interests are not aligned with the team's long term view. Extending him will allow him to focus on the future more and less on short term success.

and I don't think he's that incompetent - stupid mistakes notwithstanding. We're playing hard, our defense is overachieving (given the material) and our offense is looking better.

Plus, who you're going to replace him with, it will have to be a gamble on a young coach - it may be worse. We're not getting a big time name with this roster, that's for sure.

Next year will likely be another development year for the team, and Casey has shown that he isn't the coach to help develop young players. He's not a good offensive coach, and he makes far too many critical mistakes at ends of games, not to mention he never makes adjustments to make the other team re think and adjust to what we're doing. He's always reacting, and that's not a sign of a good coach. He's had his chance here, and he's blown it time and time again.

In terms of getting someone better, that's Masai, and especially Leiwekes job. He's supposed to have a lot of pull around the league and be able to get the big names to come to Toronto. We'll see if that's true in the upcoming offseasons not only with the head coaching position this offseason, but free agent signings as well.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #104 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,043
Representing:
Default

Potential Landing Spots and Trade Packages for Pacers Forward Danny Granger | Bleacher Report


Quote:
Indiana Pacers Receive:*SF Landry Fields (two years, $12.5 million), PG Kyle Lowry (one year, $6.2 million) and PF Steve Novak (three years, $10.9 million).

Toronto Raptors Receive:*SF Chris Copeland ($two years, $6.1 million), SF Danny Granger (one year $14 million) and 2014 second-round draft pick.

*Why Indiana Does It:*

Adding an actual point guard not named C.J. Watson would be a spectacular move by the Pacers. Lowry can come off the bench behind Hill or start in place of him. Either way, Indy is given a floor general with a substantially higher ceiling.Fields and Novak aren't ideal acquisitions, but they're necessary. Taking them on compels Toronto to make this deal without the inclusion of a first-round pick (which the Pacers don't have).Novak is one of the purest shooters in the game and doesn't normally need ample time to find his rhythm. Fields can be both a valuable defender and threat in transition. Together, they add depth, something the Pacers still need.*

Why Toronto Does It:*

This isn't what general manager Masai Ujiri had in mind.Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski*previously noted*the Raptors wanted a first-round selection in return for Lowry, but few teams are willing to pay that kind of price for a mediocre floor general who can walk after this season. The next best thing would be ridding Toronto's books of some less favorable pacts.Copeland is more affordable than both Novak and Fields and gives Ujiri an asset come offseason, when trade negotiations heat up again. Granger, if he makes a contribution, is a far more efficient player than Gay was, and his deal comes off the ledger this summer. Netting a second-round selection in this upcoming draft is hardly something to scoff at, either.Did I mention the Raptors are clearly tanking, too? That's hard to do in an unsightly Eastern Conference. Granger still has potential, but he won't suddenly return to All-Star form. Accepting him in favor of Lowry, who stands to have more of a positive impact, increases the value of Toronto's draft picks this June.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #105 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,470
Representing:
Default

^Financially it would be pretty good trade, good for tank too
LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #106 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,380
Representing:
Default

Adding Lowry to IND's lineup would be nasty.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #107 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

I have to say getting rid of easily the 2 worst contracts on the roster would be a nice parting gift from Lowry.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #108 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,043
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
I have to say getting rid of easily the 2 worst contracts on the roster would be a nice parting gift from Lowry.
I don't find Novak's contract that bad
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #109 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I don't find Novak's contract that bad
On this roster his and LF's are easily the worst.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #110 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,553
Representing:
Default

Close but fuck Copeland. 2 years at 3 mil. CJ watson is expiring and we need a backup PG. Honest... I like this better than THJ or a 2018 first rounder. 10 million more in cap space (ont including what Lowry was) and all past BC shit gone. We can spend 10 mil on a player better than THJ.

Last edited by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu; 12-22-2013 at 10:07 PM.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #111 (permalink)
waiting for opening night

Senior Member
 
fantapoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 659
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
Close but fuck Copeland. 2 years at 3 mil. CJ watson is expiring and we need a backup PG. Honest... I like this better than THJ or a 2018 first rounder. 10 million more in cap space (ont including what Lowry was) and all past BC shit gone. We can spend 10 mil on a player better than THJ.
where do i sign
fantapoppa is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #112 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
Close but fuck Copeland. 2 years at 3 mil. CJ watson is expiring and we need a backup PG. Honest... I like this better than THJ or a 2018 first rounder. 10 million more in cap space (ont including what Lowry was) and all past BC shit gone. We can spend 10 mil on a player better than THJ.
Watson expires next year. Actually that'd be pretty awesome because then GV wouldn't have to be resigned.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #113 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,250
Representing:
Default

wow I would absolutely love that deal, do it up Masai
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #114 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,334
Representing:
Default

The trick with getting Novak off the roster is that 15-16 salary he's got. The team is geared to have a ton of cap room that summer (the summer before the city hosts the all-star game) so having more space would be even better. Two years of top picks, plus Jonas and Ross (and possibly DD and/or Amir), then a max level free agent and this team might look pretty good.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #115 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Masai's been too busy scouting and going to Duke games to realize his team is in No Man's Land.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #116 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
The trick with getting Novak off the roster is that 15-16 salary he's got.
Indeed that is the issue but we'll see what MU is really made of.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #117 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,402
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
The trick with getting Novak off the roster is that 15-16 salary he's got. The team is geared to have a ton of cap room that summer (the summer before the city hosts the all-star game) so having more space would be even better. Two years of top picks, plus Jonas and Ross (and possibly DD and/or Amir), then a max level free agent and this team might look pretty good.
think getting rid of nowak before that will be piece of cake, he has some value as a shooter and we could send some cash to partly compensate. wouldn't be too worried about that.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #118 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,402
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Don't Lie View Post
Next year will likely be another development year for the team, and Casey has shown that he isn't the coach to help develop young players. He's not a good offensive coach, and he makes far too many critical mistakes at ends of games, not to mention he never makes adjustments to make the other team re think and adjust to what we're doing. He's always reacting, and that's not a sign of a good coach. He's had his chance here, and he's blown it time and time again.

In terms of getting someone better, that's Masai, and especially Leiwekes job. He's supposed to have a lot of pull around the league and be able to get the big names to come to Toronto. We'll see if that's true in the upcoming offseasons not only with the head coaching position this offseason, but free agent signings as well.
imo, it's all about the team's profile. Show promise, and you'll get free agents and coaches to come. TL and MU alone won't make any difference. BC had probably as much pull as those two when he came over, and what good did that do?

as for casey developing, not sure that's the HC's job in the first place, and he's not giving them PT because he has no job security. But regardless, my point is the extension is about this season. You can always fire him later and eat his contract. I'm a lot more concerned about this year's draft than about MLSE losing 5 million on that ...
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #119 (permalink)
likes the consistency in the colangelo built raptors

Senior Member
 
rapsmannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,440
Representing:
Default

Indiania still needs money to put a side to sign born ready
rapsmannn is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #120 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,043
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsmannn View Post
Indiania still needs money to put a side to sign born ready
Are you drunk Bruh?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24