Raptors TV To Go HD - Page 2
Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #21 (permalink)
grown, and now everything is logical.

Senior Member
 
MetaLRasaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 532
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
lol at the last part ... I once bought a 15ft hdmi cable on ebay for 99 cents (+ $10 for shipping ...). At the time, at FutureShop, the same cable (same length, but Monster) was something like $200 ...

but I disagree on the 1080p vs 1080i, it definitely pays to get 1080p. My 1080i TV has a 1024x768 resolution (with rectangular pixels), 1080p have 1920x1080, which is almost 3 times as many pixels.

Still, unless you watch it from very close, or have really really good eyes, the difference is fairly minor. Where I can see a huge difference though, is when I hook up my computer. The text looks very blurry and is basically impossible to read from a distance, on a 1080p we had at work once, the text was very crisp and a joy to watch.
I never said theres no difference, but when the screen is smaller than 40inches, it is simply impossible to tell the difference, cause the pixels on the actual tv are too small. they wont be able to produce that image, in that quality

like watching a 1080p or even 720p on your iphone. you wont be able to enjoy the HD quality, cause the pixels on the small screen are simply too small. you can watch normal SD stuff on your iphone and it will look crisp, cause the screen is that small.


and regarding the monster cables...they have the best quality in terms of transferring data.

the data that runs thru a monster cable is the purest in the world and has been scientifically proven. HOWEVER,

a 99.99% pure signal (monster) Vs. a 60% pure (i think its 60% pure on monoprice) (monoprice) has NO REAL LIFE EFFECTS ON THE ACTUAL QUALITY OF THE PICTURE PRODUCED. Your TV doesn't use the entire bandwidth of the cable, and it doesnt need that pure of the signal in any length smaller than 2,3 meters.

if you need a cable longer than 2,3 meters however, you will see a difference between a 10 dollar and a 200 dollar HDMI cable.

so for everything but in-wall installations, use monoprice. for in-wall, use monster cause they also have lifetime warranty.

from now on, ill charge your asses for my industry leading tips and guides!!
MetaLRasaM is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,249
Representing:
Default

Thanks Rasam .... some handy info considering I'm buying another HDTV soon to add to my family room once the renos are done.
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith View Post
Thanks Rasam .... some handy info considering I'm buying another HDTV soon to add to my family room once the renos are done.
How are they going anyway Doc?
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,249
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoochieBoochie View Post
How are they going anyway Doc?
Slow

Considering I've lost about 2 weeks in work because of falling ill and being in the hospital, I'm OK where we're at. The cabinets are almost all installed, so just a little more electrical work and waiting for the counters to be installed and we're pretty much complete. I hope to have everything completed by no later than the end of October.
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith View Post
Slow

Considering I've lost about 2 weeks in work because of falling ill and being in the hospital, I'm OK where we're at. The cabinets are almost all installed, so just a little more electrical work and waiting for the counters to be installed and we're pretty much complete. I hope to have everything completed by no later than the end of October.
What joy that will bring eh?

Finish mine tonight or tommorow, and to celebrate I am getting lit
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,302
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaLRasaM View Post
a 99.99% pure signal (monster) Vs. a 60% pure (i think its 60% pure on monoprice) (monoprice) has NO REAL LIFE EFFECTS ON THE ACTUAL QUALITY OF THE PICTURE PRODUCED. Your TV doesn't use the entire bandwidth of the cable, and it doesnt need that pure of the signal in any length smaller than 2,3 meters.
yeah, since the transfer is digital, as long as it works, there won't be a difference between two cables. The risk you run with poor quality cable is that it might not work at all, especially for longer cables. Still, paying a 2000% premium is a bit steep ...
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
a Triano's fan

The friendly neighbor
 
insight_tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,076
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
your eyeballs cant even see 1080, wtf is the big attraction.
On your 20inch screen maybe you don't see the difference. Try to watch on bigger screens, there is a huge difference in clarity.
insight_tor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
kicking himself for being so emotionally invested in the Roller-coaster Raptors

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,472
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaLRasaM View Post
I never said theres no difference, but when the screen is smaller than 40inches, it is simply impossible to tell the difference, cause the pixels on the actual tv are too small. they wont be able to produce that image, in that quality
Remember, pixel size is only one part of the equation. Contrast ratio (the difference between how dark the black is and how light the white is), colour accuracy, etc. all play a factor. The better TV technology gets, the more detail we can see at a lower screen size. I agree that 1080p on TV's smaller than 40" currently is overkill. But as LCD and plasma technology matures, and as OLED gets introduced to the market, 1080p will be more apparent an upgrade over 720p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaLRasaM View Post
and regarding the monster cables...they have the best quality in terms of transferring data.

the data that runs thru a monster cable is the purest in the world and has been scientifically proven. HOWEVER,

a 99.99% pure signal (monster) Vs. a 60% pure (i think its 60% pure on monoprice) (monoprice) has NO REAL LIFE EFFECTS ON THE ACTUAL QUALITY OF THE PICTURE PRODUCED. Your TV doesn't use the entire bandwidth of the cable, and it doesnt need that pure of the signal in any length smaller than 2,3 meters.

if you need a cable longer than 2,3 meters however, you will see a difference between a 10 dollar and a 200 dollar HDMI cable.
that's just marketing. The purity comment is totally scientifically unverifiable - do you mean the purity of the metals in the wire, the connectors, or what? A generic high-quality cable certainly does not deliver a "60% pure" signal.

Plus, as you mentioned, HDMI (version 1.3) cables have way more bandwidth than is necessary to watch HDTV. An HDMI 1.3 cable supports 10.2 Gigabits/second of bandwidth. That's enough for true 1080p video and uncompressed 7.1 channel audio over a single cable.

But when watching HD Television it's 1080i, using either 5.1 channel dolby digital (a heavily compressed audio CODEC), or 2-channel audio. Plus, cable companies compress the shit out of their video signals to fit more channels over the air. See those blocks that the screen breaks out into when motion gets fast in HD? Those compression artifacts are because the cable companies over-zealously compress HD video.

Those monoprice cables are really all anyone needs. Even for in-wall installations, just buy a lower (thicker) gauge wire with better sheilding and you'll be fine.
BballWatcher is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Byte Mii, I have Wii Fit!
 
Krazy Ivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,967
Representing:
Default

Raptors TV HD launced last year and they transmit some NBA games in 720p (which actually is better for sports then 1080i because of progressive image scan... hence the 'p' after the resolution)... off course some games were in 480p but even they looked better on HD channel then on standard one.

The only way to get full 1080P is to get Blu-ray (or now deceased HD-DVD) player... HDTV & all download stores known do not offer, nor will they ever offer full 1080p only 720 & 1080i and even that is with very, very low bandwidth.

If you ever have a chance, check out Sony's store in your local mall they should have super thin & very expensive 7" OLED screen that supports 1080p... image is amazing... so, no... you don't need 40+ screen to appreciate HD... truth is that because of costs manufacturers rarely make full 1080p HD screen smaller then 32".

At the end watching NBA games in HD (even 720p) is soooo much better then watching them in SD... if you already have the HDTV it's a must.

Last edited by Krazy Ivan; 09-27-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Krazy Ivan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24