Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Raptors reached out to Minnesota about trading Bargs prior to injury (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/raptors-reached-out-minnesota-about-trading-bargs-prior-injury-24294.html)

jeffb 12-14-2012 03:56 PM

Raptors reached out to Minnesota about trading Bargs prior to injury
 
Quote:

Since president of basketball operations David Kahn joined the Minnesota Timberwolves in May 2009, he has made an absurd number of trades -- 25.

The strong belief in league circles is No. 26 will come by the Feb. 21 deadline.

Yes, Kevin Love, there is some sort of plan.

However, team sources maintain that Kahn is not making any calls for now until he sees how point guard Ricky Rubio looks, beginning with his expected season debut on Saturday against Dallas at Target Center.

That hasn't stopped Kahn from answering the phone, though. League sources insist both Cleveland and Toronto have reached out in recent weeks.

The Cavaliers are gauging interest in center Anderson Varejao, whom I'm told the Timberwolves like a lot. He's signed through 2015 at less than $10 million per season.

Before he suffered a one- to two-month elbow/wrist injury earlier in the week, the Raptors were putting out feelers about big man Andrea Bargnani.

Quote:

A league source was quick to remind me of a statement Kahn made at a breakfast with reporters in June 2009: "On a championship-contending team... Kevin (Love) might be the fourth-best player."

The source's informed theory is that statement, combined with seeing good friends Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose get five-year extensions, continues to have Love irked. It's definitely not the money.

A front office executive spelled out how Love will benefit financially in the future: "The reality is that while the difference in guaranteed money between the four-year max deal that Love received and the five-year designated player max that Westbrook received is $17,769,374. (Rose was named MVP, so he was able to take advantage of the designated player max where his first year salary is 30% of the salary cap).

"If Kevin does not exercise his option after the 2014-2015 season, he can become an unrestricted free agent and either re-sign with the Timberwolves for five years or another team for four and receive a salary which starts at 30% of the salary cap. Consequently, Kevin may end up getting more money that Russell over the same period."

As for whether Love will sign an extension before the summer of 2015, the source said, "Kevin could sign an extension prior to declining his option for the 2015-16 season. That extension would be for three years and he could not get any additional money in '15-'16 unless the Wolves were under the cap, which they won't be.

"I don't consider Kevin signing an extension a likely scenario -- see Atlanta's Josh Smith. The extension can only be for four years, including the current years of the contract. If he waits until the end of the '14-'15 season and becomes a free agent, he can re-sign with the Timberwolves for five years (likely for $100 million-plus) or another team for four years. Most players at that stage of their career are prepared to wait and sign for five, or four years."

The Scoops: Wolves may be interested as Cavs shop Anderson Varejao | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Timberwolves

pzabby 12-14-2012 04:28 PM

I doubt he would have given up love for bargnani as a main trade piece. but hypothetical question, if a trade including JV for love was in place, would you do it? that'd be one tough trade to turn down, if say love agreed to sign an extension

Blaze 12-14-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pzabby (Post 721457)
I doubt he would have given up love for bargnani as a main trade piece. but hypothetical question, if a trade including JV for love was in place, would you do it? that'd be one tough trade to turn down, if say love agreed to sign an extension

Not for JV because there is still the risk that he leaves. He's been showing attitude problems regarding "winning teams" and the same bullshit that superstars now a days have in there heads. That being said, if BC somehow manages to get him to come here by giving up Bargs, I will be nothing short of ecstatic. I remember when love was barely getting play, and I suggested we go after him now, a week later he explodes into an all star.

Aamir 12-14-2012 05:06 PM

Please eventually do up Williams for Bargs!!!

Imagine the boards between Love and Varejao?

jeffb 12-14-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMughal (Post 721479)
Please eventually do up Williams for Bargs!!!

Imagine the boards between Love and Varejao?

Williams/Barea

for

Bargs/2nd



Then trade Calderon to Dallas for Marion

Lowry/Barea
Derozan/Ross
Marion/Pietrus
Davis/Williams
Valanciunas/Amir

moremilk 12-14-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMughal (Post 721479)
Please eventually do up Williams for Bargs!!!

Imagine the boards between Love and Varejao?

what, you think it works by adding their averages? Only if two people cab grab the same board at the same time :)
When you add 14 rbg and 14 rbg you actually end up with something like 23 rbg probably.

moremilk 12-14-2012 05:47 PM

if we were to get love, it would be something like bargnani + derozan, at the VERY LEAST, more likely Bargnani + Derozan + a first pick.

Dario 12-14-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 721482)
Williams/Barea

for

Bargs/2nd



Then trade Calderon to Dallas for Marion

Lowry/Barea
Derozan/Ross
Marion/Pietrus
Davis/Williams
Valanciunas/Amir

i see williams as more of a three. no marion pls

Ex2k 12-14-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moremilk (Post 721507)
if we were to get love, it would be something like bargnani + derozan, at the VERY LEAST, more likely Bargnani + Derozan + a first pick.

Love and Williams for Derozen and Bargnani...

Doubt salaries match, add a filler and lets do it...

Dario 12-14-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex2k (Post 721509)
Love and Williams for Derozen and Bargnani...

Doubt salaries match, add a filler and lets do it...

min would never do that.

carp 12-14-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 721482)
Williams/Barea

for

Bargs/2nd



Then trade Calderon to Dallas for Marion

Lowry/Barea
Derozan/Ross
Marion/Pietrus
Davis/Williams
Valanciunas/Amir

So we get our starting SF and our starting PG out of this deal?

jeffb 12-14-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carp (Post 721531)
So we get our starting SF and our starting PG out of this deal?

Sure

MBailey85 12-14-2012 06:20 PM

If I were Bryan Colangelo or Ed Stefanski,I'd do everything in my power to make Kevin Love a Raptor. He's slightly unhappy in Minnesota and skeptical about the direction the T-Wolves management have the team headed in. I'd mortgage the future because we don't know what Valanciunas or Ross will turn out to be but Love is a bonafied All-Star for years to come and he's still young.

To Toronto: Kevin Love, Derrick Williams

To Minnesota: Andrea Bargnani, Jonas Valanciunas,Terrence Ross,Linas Kleiza(or Landry Fields if possible)

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

I like Valanciunas,I see alot of potential in him but I'm uncertain about how good Ross could be throughout his career. It's not about giving up on these players but instead about getting the most for their value. Toronto has already reportedly(rumored) passed up on Tony Parker(essentially) and James Harden for Valanciunas,but I don't think they should on Love if he is what sweetens the deal. They could work on things from there but Love is a good cornerstone piece,who'd fit well with Lowry,DeRozan playing up front alongside Johnson or Davis. If it's contracually possible to trade Fields instead of Kleiza,they then could amnesty Linas' contract.

Bargn88 12-14-2012 06:23 PM

Wouldnt make sense for Minny to keep Love and acquire Bargnani. If they wanna take in Bargnani, Love would be out the door.

We would have to sweeten the pot big time.

Dario 12-14-2012 06:59 PM

love cant play C

carp 12-14-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bargn88 (Post 721543)
Wouldnt make sense for Minny to keep Love and acquire Bargnani. If they wanna take in Bargnani, Love would be out the door.

We would have to sweeten the pot big time.

Actually, I think they'd fit together well.

TORaptor4Ever 12-14-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @BaileysBlitz (Post 721542)
If I were Bryan Colangelo or Ed Stefanski,I'd do everything in my power to make Kevin Love a Raptor. He's slightly unhappy in Minnesota and skeptical about the direction the T-Wolves management have the team headed in. I'd mortgage the future because we don't know what Valanciunas or Ross will turn out to be but Love is a bonafied All-Star for years to come and he's still young.

To Toronto: Kevin Love, Derrick Williams

To Minnesota: Andrea Bargnani, Jonas Valanciunas,Terrence Ross,Linas Kleiza(or Landry Fields if possible)

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

I like Valanciunas,I see alot of potential in him but I'm uncertain about how good Ross could be throughout his career. It's not about giving up on these players but instead about getting the most for their value. Toronto has already reportedly(rumored) passed up on Tony Parker(essentially) and James Harden for Valanciunas,but I don't think they should on Love if he is what sweetens the deal. They could work on things from there but Love is a good cornerstone piece,who'd fit well with Lowry,DeRozan playing up front alongside Johnson or Davis. If it's contracually possible to trade Fields instead of Kleiza,they then could amnesty Linas' contract.

I would do that trade or ANY trade necessary to bring Love to TO.

Bargn88 12-14-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carp (Post 721564)
Actually, I think they'd fit together well.

Ya you and Dario bring up a good point..

But Pekovic is at Center.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24