The Raptors are the only team in the Eastern Conference to
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,377
Representing:
Raptors The Raptors are the only team in the Eastern Conference to

have 4 players in the top 30 for Player Efficiency Ratings (as of January 30th,2013).

#9 - Kyle Lowry (21.25 PER in 27 minutes per game)
#15 - Jose Calderon (19.37 PER in 28 mpg)
#26 - Ed Davis (18.19 PER in 24 mpg)
#27 - Amir Johnson (18.06 PER in 26 mpg)

The next closest are the Heat,Bulls,Knicks,Nets and Celtics with 3 players each (all currently playoff teams). http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli.../_/league/east

I'm not a big PER guy but I find this statistic very interesting although I'm not sure what it exactly means. Maybe it means that PER's are a bit overrated and misleading or that Toronto isn't far off from being playoff team,considering their record (in either case). If these players are truly the most productive on the Raptors why aren't they getting more minutes? All are well under 30 mpg barely playing half of the game. Could this be a major and overlooked part of the Raptors problems and how do you fix this?
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
is waiting for the season to start

Senior Member
 
Ex2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,219
Representing:
Default

Casey and his god awful rotations perhaps?
Ex2k is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,377
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex2k View Post
Casey and his god awful rotations perhaps?
This is pretty obvious,but dig deeper. Give me suggestions why he struggles with his rotations. I know he has to keep two starting Point Guard's happy but should that be at the expense of the team's chances of winning?
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
FLO
sick of the Raptors Axis of Evil: Colangelo, Casey and Bustnani

Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 970
Representing:
Default

More proof PER is a junk stat.
FLO is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
taking you to school

Senior Member
 
ZanTheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,333
Representing:
Default

Perhaps Davis' and Johnson's lack of size makes it necessary for Casey to continue giving minutes to Gray...?
ZanTheMan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,165
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLO View Post
More proof PER is a junk stat.
Yep. In terms of WS/48, the Raps have 1 in the top 30 (Lowry), and the other three listed in the PER list are at 49th (Amir), 51st (Jose), and 83rd (Ed Davis).

Much more representative of where the team is at.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,165
Representing:
Default

Though PER is a good offensive metric - the Raps are indeed one of the top offensive teams this year (10th in the league and 4th in the East). It is the defense that is lacking (28th in league), and that's where a more complete stat like WS captures the performance better.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Well I also think its hows, that Toronto has wonderful role players but lacks Star talent that dominates enough to get it done down the stretch.

The team has lost a lot of games by a small margin that experience and superior talent would have won. You really can feel good about that,but only if you believe that this teams ownership is willing, and this teams management is capable once given the chance, to bring in the type of next level talent you need to be a top level squad.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
not Drake, that's for sure

Kleiza's agent
 
Zalgiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,126
Representing:
Default

We have 2 equally good PGs that provokes unnatural rotations and it is not DC's fault, GM is responsible for it, he should have traded Calderon months ago and let team get used to playing major minutes with main PG Lowry.
If Calderon is not in our future plans we MUST stop starting him, no matter if we play better with him. Because better is not good enough for playoffs
Zalgiris is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalgiris View Post
We have 2 equally good PGs that provokes unnatural rotations and it is not DC's fault, GM is responsible for it, he should have traded Calderon months ago and let team get used to playing major minutes with main PG Lowry.
Never, is a million years would having two good players in any position be a bad thing.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
not Drake, that's for sure

Kleiza's agent
 
Zalgiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,126
Representing:
Default

Look at Gasol and Howard. Good thing is that Gasol is used to playing PF, but still it is a very bad thing, Pau started complaining again because he didn't play important minutes @ the end of 4th Q.
Curry and Jack is similar, but Curry is quite better and also they are winning games, but if they were out of playoffs mark then there would be bad times too. Also they both can play some SG.
While neither Lowry or Calderon are any good outside PG
Zalgiris is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Never, is a million years would having two good players in any position be a bad thing.
You'd think that..... but you want all of your best players playing big minutes, and if you've got major holes elsewhere, you're always going to struggle to gel.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,902
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Never, is a million years would having two good players in any position be a bad thing.
it's important to have two good players excel at their roles in the same position. i.e one be a great bench player, and the other a great starter. problem here is we have a good starter in jose and a great starter in lowry. this leads to us benching lowry cause caldy is utter shite unless he gets to pound the rock for most of the game
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
a Piston Fan !

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,258
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
it's important to have two good players excel at their roles in the same position. i.e one be a great bench player, and the other a great starter. problem here is we have a good starter in jose and a great starter in lowry. this leads to us benching lowry cause caldy is utter shite unless he gets to pound the rock for most of the game
These stats show that Lowry is a very good bench player. When Caldy gets to sit in the 4th quarter when we have control of the game and Lowry gets to play and build up his stats.
raptor123 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
rb
brasil!

Senior Member
 
rb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vaughan
Posts: 937
Representing:
Default

2 of the 4 are gone now.
rb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,599
Representing:
Default

example case of selling high
hope it works out. I rather be winning games than salivating over high PER players in the roster
Shifty.py is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,377
Representing:
Default

It's gonna be interesting to see if Calderon and Davis can maintain or improve their PER's on new team's now.

More importantly,Casey kinda does have suspect substition patterns and somewhat of a bad rotation(although better than the beginning of the season) so I want to see how much minutes he gives Rudy Gay.

The 4 highest PER players before the trade averaged under 30 mpg but alot may be related to each of them coming off the bench for a period of time during the season. DeRozan plays the most at 36 mpg,to make this trade effective you gotta play Rudy the same amount as Demar(which he did in Memphis),maybe even as many as 38 mpg.

All the All Star Small Forwards are averaging at least 38 mpg (James,Durant,Deng,Anthony) with the exception of George who still gets 37 mpg. Even a comparable player in Batum is averaging 39 mpg. I really hope Gay plays significant minutes,unless they're meaningless.
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,493
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by @BaileysBlitz View Post
It's gonna be interesting to see if Calderon and Davis can maintain or improve their PER's on new team's now.

More importantly,Casey kinda does have suspect substition patterns and somewhat of a bad rotation(although better than the beginning of the season) so I want to see how much minutes he gives Rudy Gay.

The 4 highest PER players before the trade averaged under 30 mpg but alot may be related to each of them coming off the bench for a period of time during the season. DeRozan plays the most at 36 mpg,to make this trade effective you gotta play Rudy the same amount as Demar(which he did in Memphis),maybe even as many as 38 mpg.

All the All Star Small Forwards are averaging at least 38 mpg (James,Durant,Deng,Anthony) with the exception of George who still gets 37 mpg. Even a comparable player in Batum is averaging 39 mpg. I really hope Gay plays significant minutes,unless they're meaningless.
I don't think anyone needs to explain that Calderon and Lowry share a position and their minutes reflect that. Davis was playing 36 or more a game, and so was Amir once JV got hurt and IF he could stay out of foul trouble. Blaming their lack of minutes on Casey's ineptitude is a pretty weak arguement dude. He may suck in other ways... just saying...
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,377
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
I don't think anyone needs to explain that Calderon and Lowry share a position and their minutes reflect that. Davis was playing 36 or more a game, and so was Amir once JV got hurt and IF he could stay out of foul trouble. Blaming their lack of minutes on Casey's ineptitude is a pretty weak arguement dude. He may suck in other ways... just saying...
yea that's fine,overall minutes may not be the biggest deal but there has been alot of games when we ask" Where the hell is Ed" or "why isn't Ross in". Casey has a tendency to keep a hot performer on the bench too long. Just hoping he plays Gay alot of minutes.
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24