Raptors extend QO's to Patman, GV, De Colo
Old 06-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,283
Representing:
Raptors Raptors extend QO's to Patman, GV, De Colo

Let the games begin


Quote:
@raptors
Raptors*announce they have extended qualifying offers to restricted free agents*@greivisvasquez@NandoDeColo*&*@pdpatt*.*#RT Z#WeTheNorth
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,627
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

here we go! 2pat is back
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,140
Representing:
Default

QO - keep them and then can move pieces around. I am not sure all of them are going to be with the Raps next year though.
Tommy C is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,283
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
QO - keep them and then can move pieces around. I am not sure all of them are going to be with the Raps next year though.
If Vasquez gets an offer of 6mil or more he's as good as gone unless KL doesn't re-sign. I think PP is here next season.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,140
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
If Vasquez gets an offer of 6mil or more he's as good as gone unless KL doesn't re-sign. I think PP is here next season.
Agreed. I think PP will be here, GV not so sure if he gets an absurd QO and KL I hope he does, but if he bolts and GV gets a QO we might need to bite the bullet.
Tommy C is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
Agreed. I think PP will be here, GV not so sure if he gets an absurd QO and KL I hope he does, but if he bolts and GV gets a QO we might need to bite the bullet.
Not sure of the language there but none are with more than their QO from the Raps. Regardless of the offers they get else where, don't the Raps have the right of first refusal?
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,657
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Not sure of the language there but none are with more than their QO from the Raps. Regardless of the offers they get else where, don't the Raps have the right of first refusal?
QO's for them mean they're all RFA and Raps have right of first refusal. Lowry is UFA

QO's can only be made to a teams own players.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
QO's for them mean they're all RFA and Raps have right of first refusal. Lowry is UFA

QO's can only be made to a teams own players.
Yeah, guess he was meaning offer sheets. Thanks. Personally if someone wants to pay GV way more than the QO they can have him but I don't see too many over paying (and he's MUs boy from way back)- I'd go up to 4.5-5. Same with De Colo minus the homeboy part or anything over. 2Pat would be the one to match if it's reasonable - he had a really good season and fits nicely - maybe 7ish to start but he has that stretch 4 quality other teams would covet.

Lowry would be great if he resigned in the 10-12 range but if the Heat clear space as intended; and Houston has cleared space already; and the Lakers have space; as does Dallas (though I don't see the latter 2 as competitors - not being contenders) then I'll worry. That's 2 teams that could conceivable slip in and try to take him. If Melo signs back at NY then Houston will definitely make a play for him. Melo won't go to the Heat so that's another team that will push. Doesn't help that both teams are in tax free states.

I just don't want to over pay KL. If he goes I'd hope for the Rockets where the team might get something. If it's the Heat there won't be anything coming back. I see the Raps and Heat as the main but if Melo stays put you can add Houston - and they already covet him and want him back. If KL waits till after the second week of July, that would be after Melos decision and I'd assume he's thinking Houston is the place. More likely than not, the Raps won't get anything for him if he goes.

Last edited by DocHoliday99; 06-28-2014 at 06:50 PM.
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,657
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Yeah, guess he was meaning offer sheets. Thanks. Personally if someone wants to pay GV way more than the QO they can have him but I don't see too many over paying (and he's MUs boy from way back)- I'd go up to 4.5-5. Same with De Colo minus the homeboy part or anything over. 2Pat would be the one to match if it's reasonable - he had a really good season and fits nicely - maybe 7ish to start but he has that stretch 4 quality other teams would covet.

Lowry would be great if he resigned in the 10-12 range but if the Heat clear space as intended; and Houston has cleared space already; and the Lakers have space; as does Dallas (though I don't see the latter 2 as competitors - not being contenders) then I'll worry. That's 2 teams that could conceivable slip in and try to take him. If Melo signs back at NY then Houston will definitely make a play for him. Melo won't go to the Heat so that's another team that will push. Doesn't help that both teams are in tax free states.

I just don't want to over pay KL. If he goes I'd hope for the Rockets where the team might get something. If it's the Heat there won't be anything coming back. I see the Raps and Heat as the main but if Melo stays put you can add Houston - and they already covet him and want him back. If KL waits till after the second week of July, that would be after Melos decision and I'd assume he's thinking Houston is the place. More likely than not, the Raps won't get anything for him if he goes.
The leverage we have is a) being able to offer a 5th year and b) we're the only team where Lowry can clearly be "the man". I'm surprised that anyone thinks that the Miami opt-outs weren't a certainty, so really today's news vis-a-vis Lowry was already baked in the cake.

Because we can offer 5 years and have cap space to offer enough money( 10-12 would be nice but if we have to, we could it up it somewhat to limit the other teams manouverability) we can compete on the money, so I'd think the other teams would have to work on a S+T. Miami has nothing that we'd want in a S+T so a strong $ offer from us, plus LeBron's admiration for Napier might deter them and Lowry signing with them wouldn't reverse the deterioration in Bosh and Wades play, so the "situation" may not look as rosy to Kyle, and I think our price from Houston would be Parsons + Beverly, which isn't an unthinkable offer to accept.

Surprisingly, Miami having drafted Napier, may be more interested in a run at Vasquez.

Dallas, I'm too tired to comment on.

Last edited by niggles; 06-28-2014 at 07:28 PM.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
The leverage we have is a) being able to offer a 5th year and b) we're the only team where Lowry can clearly be "the man". I'm surprised that anyone thinks that the Miami opt-outs weren't a certainty, so really today's news vis-a-vis Lowry was already baked in the cake.

Because we can offer 5 years and have cap space to offer enough money( 10-12 would be nice but if we have to, we could it up it somewhat to limit the other teams manouverability) we can compete on the money, so I'd think the other teams would have to work on a S+T. Miami has nothing that we'd want in a S+T so a strong $ offer from us, plus LeBron's admiration for Napier might deter them and Lowry signing with them wouldn't reverse the deterioration in Bosh and Wades play, so the "situation" may not look as rosy to Kyle, and I think our price from Houston would be Parsons + Beverly, which isn't an unthinkable offer to accept.

Surprisingly, Miami having drafted Napier, may be more interested in a run at Vasquez.

Dallas, I'm too tired to comment on.
Only a couple of catches - being tax free state that 10 mil is worth more than say, 12 from the raps. Extra year for sure is a bonus. The leader part is quite important and he wouldn't have that on the Heat I agree but he would have that on Houston. Napier I was about to say he may need time but he has played four years in college with 2 titles so he's pretty ready I would think other than adjusting. With Napier, the Heat could forgo KL and sign a couple other pcs though I actually hope they sign Deng - would just fit - though he could go back to the Bulls which I could see which would allow them to keep Taj.

Yep, thinking about it I really see only the Rockets if Melo doesn't go there which I doubt he will. Getting KL will also allow them to keep Parsons.

So many top players that need to fall first that my head spins with the scenarios and possibilities.

I'm gonna have a drink or 3 instead.
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
'twas a dream

teenage dirtbag
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: markham ontario canada
Posts: 555
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Only a couple of catches - being tax free state that 10 mil is worth more than say, 12 from the raps. Extra year for sure is a bonus. The leader part is quite important and he wouldn't have that on the Heat I agree but he would have that on Houston. Napier I was about to say he may need time but he has played four years in college with 2 titles so he's pretty ready I would think other than adjusting. With Napier, the Heat could forgo KL and sign a couple other pcs though I actually hope they sign Deng - would just fit - though he could go back to the Bulls which I could see which would allow them to keep Taj.

Yep, thinking about it I really see only the Rockets if Melo doesn't go there which I doubt he will. Getting KL will also allow them to keep Parsons.

So many top players that need to fall first that my head spins with the scenarios and possibilities.

I'm gonna have a drink or 3 instead.
Another thing to consider is if the Big three thinks KL is enough of a reason for them to take such a big pay cut. Melo would be someone that the big three wouldn't mind to take a paycut for. Keep in mind, if Miami signs KL, they will not be able to sign anyone else. KL Lebron Wade and Bosh will need to do all the heavy lifting for the whole year
tommysdu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,657
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Only a couple of catches - being tax free state that 10 mil is worth more than say, 12 from the raps. Extra year for sure is a bonus. The leader part is quite important and he wouldn't have that on the Heat I agree but he would have that on Houston. Napier I was about to say he may need time but he has played four years in college with 2 titles so he's pretty ready I would think other than adjusting. With Napier, the Heat could forgo KL and sign a couple other pcs though I actually hope they sign Deng - would just fit - though he could go back to the Bulls which I could see which would allow them to keep Taj.

Yep, thinking about it I really see only the Rockets if Melo doesn't go there which I doubt he will. Getting KL will also allow them to keep Parsons.

So many top players that need to fall first that my head spins with the scenarios and possibilities.

I'm gonna have a drink or 3 instead.
Don't really agree about the leadership role in Houston. Harden and Howard would have something to say about that, and Parsons might be the asking price in a S+T.

I've been saying for month's that HOU was the big competition.

And get yer mitt's off my drinks.

Last edited by niggles; 06-28-2014 at 08:45 PM.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Don't really agree about the leadership role in Houston. Harden and Howard would have something to say about that, and Parsons might be the asking price in a S+T.

I've been saying for month's that HOU was the big competition.

And get yer mitt's off my drinks.
Harden and Dwight are such weak leaders though - just don't inspire or lead when it counts. Think that's why McHale wanted KL back this past year - be that glue guy and take hold of the team. Hard to say....he has everything here except the immediate title shot though I like the new addition of Bruno - is that and maybe another move enough to show him to trust MU that he'll make the right moves next season when there's a FA frenzy and the Raps have cap room?

I'm leaning towards him staying but your right, no other team is really going to challenge that except Houston - I'm not sure about that s&t though with the Rockets, after moving Asik could they not just sign KL outright and leave room to address Parsons? (Of course Lin would have to be moved for that part)

I guess after a few I'm full of questions

Last edited by DocHoliday99; 06-28-2014 at 10:35 PM.
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,657
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Harden and Dwight are such weak leaders though - just don't inspire or lead when it counts. Think that's why McHale wanted KL back this past year - be that glue guy and take hold of the team. Hard to say....he has everything here except the immediate title shot though I like the new addition of Bruno - is that and maybe another move enough to show him to trust MU that he'll make the right moves next season when there's a FA frenzy and the Raps have cap room?

I'm leaning towards him staying but your right, no other team is really going to challenge that except Houston - I'm not sure about that s&t though with the Rockets, after moving Asik could they not just sign KL outright and leave room to address Parsons? (Of course Lin would have to be moved for that part)

I guess after a few I'm full of questions
You're right about Harden and Howard's weakness but IMO they don't see themselves as weak leaders, especially Harden, and that's where there could be chemistry problems in that mix.

They could sign Lowry and keep Parsons, if their offer (including the Texas tax implications) would beat what the Raptors are able to offer (5 yrs vs 4), and if they really don't succeed in their pursuit of Melo. IMO, the Rocket's made a bit of an error not moving Lin first i/o Asik because Asik is easier to move than Lin, and Lin still being on the roster might be a bit of a negative for Lowry.

Lowry also knows the chemistry situation here that worked so well for him, and I wonder if his highlighting of " situation" was a bit of a subtle message to Ujiri about treading carefully when he's thinking of any move affecting the core. I think Ujiri may be keeping Lowry somewhat in the loop as a sign to Lowry of respect, and that would count for Lowry. I'm also leaning towards Lowry staying because of the relationship he's built up with Ujiri/ Casey vs his experience with Morey/McHale. He knows Ujiri/Casey have got his back, but may not be 100 % certain about Morey/McHale. Morey has been a bit of a loose cannon when it comes moving players and that might be a flag for Lowry. Players want continuity in a teams direction when they feel the team is heading in the right direction..

Last edited by niggles; 06-29-2014 at 07:14 AM.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
You're right about Harden and Howard's weakness but IMO they don't see themselves as weak leaders, especially Harden, and that's where there could be chemistry problems in that mix.

They could sign Lowry and keep Parsons, if their offer (including the Texas tax implications) would beat what the Raptors are able to offer (5 yrs vs 4), and if they really don't succeed in their pursuit of Melo. IMO, the Rocket's made a bit of an error not moving Lin first i/o Asik because Asik is easier to move than Lin, and Lin still being on the roster might be a bit of a negative for Lowry.

Lowry also knows the chemistry situation here that worked so well for him, and I wonder if his highlighting of " situation" was a bit of a subtle message to Ujiri about treading carefully when he's thinking of any move affecting the core. I think Ujiri may be keeping Lowry somewhat in the loop as a sign to Lowry of respect, and that would count for Lowry. I'm also leaning towards Lowry staying because of the relationship he's built up with Ujiri/ Casey vs his experience with Morey/McHale. He knows Ujiri/Casey have got his back, but may not be 100 % certain about Morey/McHale. Morey has been a bit of a loose cannon when it comes moving players and that might be a flag for Lowry. Players want continuity in a teams direction when they feel the team is heading in the right direction..
I agree with Lin not being easy to move as compared to Asik. I think Lin only goes if he's packaged with Parsons to GS if the Rockets can land Melo - can't see anyone else taking him unless the Lakers absorb him - though again, they'd probably want Parsons. If not, and KL goes there I agree, most likely there'd be chemistry issues, especially that Howard sees himself the man and Harden - does he care? - seems to do whatever he wants anyways.

Morey might be getting caught with the thrill of analytics, stats are great but he seems to use it solely which just doesn't account for personalities and player agendas and such driving Morey to be quicker with the trade trigger. The difference between him and MU I think - MU uses stats as well but just as part of the process and uses his eyes more. I can see KL taking note of that as well.

In the end KL raised his value so much this past season that the question for me now is, is there any real competition for Lowry?
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24