Raptors Cap/Tax Status - Page 27
Old 07-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #521 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Well, apparently DeRozan hit 600k worth of incentives last season, so his cap number rises to 10.1M. That room under the tax is shrinking rapidly.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #522 (permalink)
Is The:

Chairman of the Boards
 
gdaytday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,618
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Well, apparently DeRozan hit 600k worth of incentives last season, so his cap number rises to 10.1M. That room under the tax is shrinking rapidly.
Bonus for making the all-star team?
gdaytday is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #523 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

The reason his cap hit increases is because incentives apply to all seasons of a contract. He appears to have had an all-star selection incentive of 600k.

In cap calculations, unlikely bonuses do not count against the cap. Likely bonuses do. Only bonuses that are actually achieved count against the tax. Anyway, the difference between likely and unlikely is basically whether the player did it the year before. Coming into last season, DD had not been an all-star the year before, so his cap hit was only 9.5M (since the 600k bonus was classified as unlikely). Now, heading into this coming season, he achieved all-star status last season, so it is classified as likely. As such, it counts against the cap calculations.

Incentives like this are one area that is drastically under-reported on all the salary sites. Black box for the most part.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #524 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 305
Representing:
Default

so is this means that if he make it again this year additional cap of 600K will the apply? and if we want to be below tax we need to allocate that amount (we cannot exceed 76.2M since tax is at 76.8M)
xplode is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #525 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 305
Representing:
Default

wonder who has same kind of incentive in our line up. kyle maybe?
xplode is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #526 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplode View Post
wonder who has same kind of incentive in our line up. kyle maybe?
the only other player of any significance not on a rookie contract is kyle, so maybe.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #527 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
the only other player of any significance not on a rookie contract is kyle, so maybe.
Could be. There's just no way to know. Even the best salary sites never deal with incentives.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #528 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplode View Post
so is this means that if he make it again this year additional cap of 600K will the apply? and if we want to be below tax we need to allocate that amount (we cannot exceed 76.2M since tax is at 76.8M)
Yeah. Might be why we're currently sitting about 2M shy of the tax - to accommodate any incentives that any of our players might hit.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #529 (permalink)
comfortably numb

Member
 
spuriousjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 440
Representing:
Default

as mentioned, demar hit some bonus target. here's a tweet from eric pincus about it: https://twitter.com/EricPincus/statu...86761304010753

does anyone know how things like this affect contracts going forward? for ex, does dd permanently get and added $600M/yr, are wages accrued on a % basis, do the bonuses reset (and therefore must be re-attained each season), are bonuses cumulative (for ex, can one get say an allstar bonus one year, and again the second year compounding the raise? things like this can make a substancial difference in the value of a contract over a longer term
spuriousjones is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #530 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,321
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Yeah. Might be why we're currently sitting about 2M shy of the tax - to accommodate any incentives that any of our players might hit.
Doubt it since we can shed salary at the deadline.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #531 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
Doubt it since we can shed salary at the deadline.
But incentives can be earned post-deadline. See the Bulls last year.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #532 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuriousjones View Post
as mentioned, demar hit some bonus target. here's a tweet from eric pincus about it: https://twitter.com/EricPincus/statu...86761304010753

does anyone know how things like this affect contracts going forward? for ex, does dd permanently get and added $600M/yr, are wages accrued on a % basis, do the bonuses reset (and therefore must be re-attained each season), are bonuses cumulative (for ex, can one get say an allstar bonus one year, and again the second year compounding the raise? things like this can make a substancial difference in the value of a contract over a longer term
I tried to explain that above, but perhaps I didn't make it clear.

Incentives apply to each year of the contract independently. So in the years DeMar makes the allstar game, for example, he will get that 600k bonus. In the years he doesn't, he won't, and will be paid his standard 9.5M. It's not a raise - it's a bonus.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #533 (permalink)
comfortably numb

Member
 
spuriousjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 440
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
I tried to explain that above, but perhaps I didn't make it clear.

Incentives apply to each year of the contract independently. So in the years DeMar makes the allstar game, for example, he will get that 600k bonus. In the years he doesn't, he won't, and will be paid his standard 9.5M. It's not a raise - it's a bonus.
got it. thanks.
spuriousjones is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #534 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

So Patterson's deal is a wonky 5.8M, 6.2M, 6.0M structure. No idea why. Full update can wait until GV and JJ trickle in in the next few days.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #535 (permalink)
Has "it"

Senior Member
 
Ataf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Catharines
Posts: 1,798
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuriousjones View Post
as mentioned, demar hit some bonus target. here's a tweet from eric pincus about it: https://twitter.com/EricPincus/statu...86761304010753

does anyone know how things like this affect contracts going forward? for ex, does dd permanently get and added $600M/yr, are wages accrued on a % basis, do the bonuses reset (and therefore must be re-attained each season), are bonuses cumulative (for ex, can one get say an allstar bonus one year, and again the second year compounding the raise? things like this can make a substancial difference in the value of a contract over a longer term
:jack:
Ataf is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #536 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Vasquez and Johnson have officially signed, so we should see details of their contracts leak soon as well.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #537 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 305
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Vasquez and Johnson have officially signed, so we should see details of their contracts leak soon as well.
Basketball Insiders indicated Vasquez at 6.5M/y flat and Johnson at 2.5M/y flat.

They got Pat's figure right and that was 2 days ago.

They also indicated Demar at 10.1M (9.5M + 0.6 incentive) this year and next 2 years

Will see

Last edited by xplode; 07-17-2014 at 02:48 PM.
xplode is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #538 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplode View Post
Basketball Insiders indicated Vasquez at 6.5M/y flat and Johnson at 2.5M/y flat.

They got Pat's figure right and that was 2 days ago.

They also indicated Demar at 10.1M (9.5M + 0.6 incentive) this year and next 2 years

Will see
They updated Pat and DD's after Sham did. Like so many sites they copy off him when he updates, and guess for other stuff. They had Pat's as 6.0M flat until Sham's update.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #539 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

That said, they could be flat. But with the funky backload attempt on Patterson's, I'd be surprised if they didn't try to backload the other two.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #540 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

ESPN trade machine has been updated with salaries for JJ and GV JJ's is a flat 2.5M and GV's is 6.4M this year (and therefor 6.6M next year). So with DD's increased salary that leaves 1.5M in room before the tax.

With Buycks being waived (reportedly soon), that means we are down to 15 players. So either a) Garrett is kept, b) Garrett is waived and no one replaces him or c) he is waived and we sign a third PG or depth C with 1.4M or less.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24