Raptors Cap/Tax Status - Page 22
Old 07-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #421 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Prior to Lowry signing, we had 51.19M committed. The rookies will sign for 120% of my listed numbers, so that brings is up to 51.72M. The tax is at 77M, so that leaves 25.3M to fit in Lowry, Vasquez, Patterson, de Colo and whoever we may sign with the MLE or BAE.

Lowry can range from 10.8M to 13.5M this year depending in how his contract is structured. That means between 11.8M and 14.5M left over for the rest of the list. Something to keep in mind.

Working with that smaller number, that leaves 5M easily for each of the big two RFA's, plus another bit to re-sign de Colo. The bigger number leaves enough room for that plus a 2.7M MLE signing, or without de Colo, a 4.5M signing.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #422 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

As a note, I hope for 12M, 11.1M, 12M, 12.9M. Maxes out cap room next year and is decent flexibility for this year (leaves 13.3M to play with).
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #423 (permalink)
LOG
Is sick and tired of Casey

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,741
Representing:
Default

^TBH don't really see the need for DeColo now that Williams is here
LOG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #424 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
As a note, I hope for 12M, 11.1M, 12M, 12.9M. Maxes out cap room next year and is decent flexibility for this year (leaves 13.3M to play with).
That's good..
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #425 (permalink)
probably lurking

burundi in the house
 
lankganglia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,318
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
^TBH don't really see the need for DeColo now that Williams is here
ya I think we can just cut decolo in our minds...if MU does end uo keeping him it'll only be for the bare minimum
lankganglia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #426 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Prior to Lowry signing, we had 51.19M committed. The rookies will sign for 120% of my listed numbers, so that brings is up to 51.72M. The tax is at 77M, so that leaves 25.3M to fit in Lowry, Vasquez, Patterson, de Colo and whoever we may sign with the MLE or BAE.

Lowry can range from 10.8M to 13.5M this year depending in how his contract is structured. That means between 11.8M and 14.5M left over for the rest of the list. Something to keep in mind.

Working with that smaller number, that leaves 5M easily for each of the big two RFA's, plus another bit to re-sign de Colo. The bigger number leaves enough room for that plus a 2.7M MLE signing, or without de Colo, a 4.5M signing.
we can also go over the luxury cap a bit, but it would be risky as we would have to do a trade to drop salary at the deadline. Still, one would think someone like nowak should be pretty easy to move when there's only 2 months left on his contract and the playoffs are around the corner.

not to mention there's a possibility to get more room via trades now (like the aforementioned nowak).
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #427 (permalink)
LOG
Is sick and tired of Casey

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
we can also go over the luxury cap a bit, but it would be risky as we would have to do a trade to drop salary at the deadline. Still, one would think someone like nowak should be pretty easy to move when there's only 2 months left on his contract and the playoffs are around the corner.

not to mention there's a possibility to get more room via trades now (like the aforementioned nowak).
Novak has 2 years left
LOG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #428 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
Novak has 2 years left
hm, thought he's expiring next season, are you sure?
I think camby had 3 years when we got him, but nowak only had 2 afaik
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #429 (permalink)
LOG
Is sick and tired of Casey

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
hm, thought he's expiring next season, are you sure?
I think camby had 3 years when we got him, but nowak only had 2 afaik
yup pretty sure, Fields and Hayes are our big expiring. That's the reason why I always say that we need to trade Novak
LOG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #430 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,760
Representing:
Default

Novak has 2 years left. Haynes has an expiring contract.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #431 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
yup pretty sure, Fields and Hayes are our big expiring. That's the reason why I always say that we need to trade Novak
yeah, that and the fact that he sucks

too bad, hopefully we can find a sucker. If meeks can command 6M, nowak is a bargain at 3.

think miami could use a good shooter ...
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #432 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
hm, thought he's expiring next season, are you sure?
I think camby had 3 years when we got him, but nowak only had 2 afaik
He's right. Novak is a fly in the ointment of our 2015 cap room right now. Would love to see him moved for an expiring this summer or at the deadline. But that, or a move to reduce salary below the tax, will cost assets. Especially when teams smell the luxury tax bloom in the water - you're losing a 1st or a few seconds to drop a little bit of salary at the deadline.

Of course other deals might happen as part of team building, but in general I like to lay things out as they are, and present any changes when the happen.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:39 AM   #433 (permalink)
Landing flight 31

Senior Member
 
0nekhmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 3,304
Representing:
Default

I'm sure we could trade Novak for something decent. Him on the spurs, OKC, Miami, clippers, basically any contender would work really well.
0nekhmer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:19 AM   #434 (permalink)
is excited about the brazilian connection

Member
 
SteveTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Meran, Italy
Posts: 211
Representing:
Default

Can we trade Novak for a TPE? We could trade him to MI, they should have good use for his 3point shooting.
SteveTT is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #435 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
He's right. Novak is a fly in the ointment of our 2015 cap room right now. Would love to see him moved for an expiring this summer or at the deadline. But that, or a move to reduce salary below the tax, will cost assets. Especially when teams smell the luxury tax bloom in the water - you're losing a 1st or a few seconds to drop a little bit of salary at the deadline.

Of course other deals might happen as part of team building, but in general I like to lay things out as they are, and present any changes when the happen.
Could we not just stretch him next year? If that was $1mil instead of 3 it's not sucha big deal.

Last edited by 'trane; 07-03-2014 at 08:36 AM.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #436 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTT View Post
Can we trade Novak for a TPE? We could trade him to MI, they should have good use for his 3point shooting.
You don't trade for a tpe. If you trade him to a team below the cap and take back leas salary the tpe is created by the difference in salary. Miami will not use their minimal cap space to bring in novak at 3mil. Good luck finding a team that would do that.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #437 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,760
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
You don't trade for a tpe. If you trade him to a team below the cap and take back leas salary the tpe is created by the difference in salary. Miami will not use their minimal cap space to bring in novak at 3mil. Good luck finding a team that would do that.
Actually, you can. If another team has a TPE, they can use the TPE to acquire Novak. The Raptors in this case would now become owners of the TPE, and they would have to use it by the original deadline (i.e., when the TPE was first acquired/created).
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #438 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Actually, you can. If another team has a TPE, they can use the TPE to acquire Novak. The Raptors in this case would now become owners of the TPE, and they would have to use it by the original deadline (i.e., when the TPE was first acquired/created).
That's not how tpes work. A team can use their tpe to acquire him. Yes. But we do not become owners of it. It just gets used up.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #439 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

And for the record miami doesn't have a tpe big enough to absorb novak. Here is the complete list of tpes at march 28th. Some have been used up since then.

ShamSports.com: Available NBA Salary Cap Exceptions
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #440 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
Could we not just stretch him next year? If that was $1mil instead of 3 it's not sucha big deal.
I'm sure you could - a 1 mil hit for 3 years is not so bad though when the team goes into the tax it could have implications. Hate to trade with an asset to just unload him. If its next year then he'll become an expiring...trade asset next year?
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24