Raptors Cap/Tax Status - Page 2
Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #21 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankiz View Post
thanks for all of that danh !

can you tell us about forbes, carter, buttler and Gray ?
i don't find anything about thei contract yet !
Yeah, it's been quiet on those fronts. I'll update as soon as I can find a source on those amounts.

I think some of them have gone up on hoopshype, so I'll update with those numbers, then correct if Sham eventually gets around to updating his.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

I've added the three other minimum salary signings. No news yet on Forbes. As a note, we could use the MLE or cap space to sign him, as minimum contracts can be signed using cap space or the minimum exception. I expect the Raps are technically over the cap right now, and used their MLE to sign Forbes (not the entire thing).
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #23 (permalink)
making funny and strange dark trade in his mind !!!

Senior Member
 
Bankiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,358
Representing:
Default

thanks danh.
so we have 4 vet contract, they all count in cap space fully ?
Bankiz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankiz View Post
thanks danh.
so we have 4 vet contract, they all count in cap space fully ?
They all count as 2-year vet contracts, even though they all have more than 2 years' experience. I've outlined in my breakdown their cap hit and actual pay.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

Updated with Jonas' cap hit disappearing, Reggie being signed by the Clips (and disappearing from our cap) and using the MLE to sign Forbes to a 2 year deal at 1.5M per.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

Another quick update with some details - including using the BAE, not the MLE, to sign Forbes, and correcting Gray's contract amount (he signed with half the MLE for one year).
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,011
Representing:
Default

Did I read that right Dan. Pape Sow is still on the books?
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Did I read that right Dan. Pape Sow is still on the books?
We still own his rights as a free agent - ie he didn't sign with another NBA franchise after us, and we haven't renounced his rights yet. As such he counts as a cap hold.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

I've updated the numbers with some slight changes from the new CBA, and added the Barbosa trade.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,604
Representing:
Default

DanH I have a question about our TPE

If Raptors want to free up capspace to sign lets say Deron Williams this summer, they need to renounce all free agent cap holds, right? Do they have to renounce this Barbosa TPE as well?
Shifty.py is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #31 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty.py View Post
DanH I have a question about our TPE

If Raptors want to free up capspace to sign lets say Deron Williams this summer, they need to renounce all free agent cap holds, right? Do they have to renounce this Barbosa TPE as well?
Yes. But the TPE only holds value for a team over the cap - it is effectively cap space for capped out teams in trades. So if the Raps plan on using cap space, they will likely renounce the TPE - which directly converts it to cap space. So if they are going to use the TPE in its purest form, it will be during the pre-July 1st time period, as Colangelo puts it. It can even be renounced at that time, to generate much more cap space during that period than we would have had with Barbosa.

The Barbosa move generated flexibility for that period leading up to and including the draft. It has no real bearing beyond July 1st.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #32 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,576
Representing:
Default

dan - another question for you, if you don't mind -

how long does carter's contract remain in full on the books after we waived him? is it there until july 1st?
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #33 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

Although, technically, to add to that, a team does not have to renounce ALL it's rights to be able to have cap space. It's just that what cap holds they keep will reduce the cap space. So, let's say the Raps would have roughly 12 million in cap space if they renounced all their rights. Instead, they could decide to not renounce Weems. This means they keep his rights and have about 11 million in cap space.

So, theoretically, if the team wanted to maintain flexibility through the year, they could renounce all their free agents, amnesty Jose, and have about 36 million committed. Leaving about 22 million in cap space. We COULD decide not to renounce the TPE, leaving room for a max contract offer for Williams, then use the room MLE and minimum salary guys to fill out the roster. Then we would have that 7.6 million TPE in flexibility during the season.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
dan - another question for you, if you don't mind -

how long does carter's contract remain in full on the books after we waived him? is it there until july 1st?
Yep. But if he signs with another team, the amount he signs for comes off our books (although we still pay him). So root for him to find a home, although it will make little difference.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #35 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

Just a quick note for people curious about the impacts of 10-day contracts. The contracts are pro-rated to 10 days from the 124 day season, so each day gets them 8.06% of a full year's minimum salary pay. Now, this year's full pay is lower than most years, due to the 66:82 factor applied.

So for Alan Anderson, who has two prior years of NBA experience, the minimum salary is usually $854,389 - this prorates to $55,458 per 10-day this year. For Ben Uzoh, who has one year of prior NBA experience, the minimum salary is usually $762,195 - which prorates to $49,474 per 10-day.

These dollar amounts directly apply to the team's salary cap - so each 10-day picked up will add its equivalent dollar amount directly to the total cap hit.

I'm not putting them into my full calculation yet, as they have almost no impact (as you can see from the low dollar amounts shown here).
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #36 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

I love 10 days....

I like it when Journeymen get a pay day. Its hard being a fringe guy, hard on your mind man. I like that these guys are getting a ride on our tank... I really do, EXCEPT, they play hard, and thats anti tank....

Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #37 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default 2012-13 Salary Cap Status

With Bayless' QO being extended, thought I'd post some more details.

Jose Calderon $10,561,982
Andrea Bargnani $10,000,000
Jerryd Bayless: $7,605,700 cap hold ($4,001,917 QO)
Amir Johnson $6,050,000
Linas Kleiza $4,600,000
DeMar DeRozan $3,344,250
Jonas Valanciunas: $2,812,200
James Johnson $2,812,006
Ed Davis $2,207,040
Terrence Ross $2,136,100
Gary Forbes $1,500,000
Solomon Alabi $890,000 (TO)
Roster slot cap hold (slot 13): $490,180

Total without Bayless: $47,893,638 - 10.1M cap space
Total with Bayless: $55,009,458 - 3M cap space

Salary Cap: $58 million
Tax Threshold: $70 million

- Jonas Valanciunas: last year's 5th slot rookie salary
- Note that the cap hold for rookies is their rookie scale salary, but rookies are typically signed to 120% of their rookie scale - as such, it would be best if they are signed after the other free agents. They will likely be "unofficially" signed early, then actually sign the papers later in July.
- Alabi is on a Team Option, so the Raps can drop him. But they have to do so by tomorrow, I believe. It would increase their cap space by ~0.4M, as his cap hold would need to be replaced by an empty roster slot cap hold.

Amnesty candidates and resultant cap space (with/without Bayless cap hold):
Jose: 20.7M / 13.6M
Amir: 16.2M / 9.0M
Kleiza: 14.7M / 7.6M

Also note how expensive Bayless' cap hold is. If the team plans to re-sign him to a MLE level or somewhat lower contract, that should be their first move, to free up a couple million dollars in cap space. So you can add the difference between 7.6M and whatever he signs for to all above "with Bayless" numbers if they are smart. Assuming 5 million starting, that's an additional 2.6 million in cap space. Nothing to sneeze at.

So the most I can see in operable cap space, is if they release Alabi (he could always be re-signed as a free agent to the minimum), renounce their rights to Bayless (and Weems, who I've completely ignored in this, assuming they will waive his rights), and amnesty Jose (or trade him into cap space), is 21.1 million.

For information, Weems is currently a cap hold of $1,059,389 if a QO is extended. If it isn't, the cap hold is $854,389, but they may as well waive his rights if they don't restrict him.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
With Bayless' QO being extended, thought I'd post some more details.

Jose Calderon $10,561,982
Andrea Bargnani $10,000,000
Jerryd Bayless: $7,605,700 cap hold ($4,001,917 QO)
Amir Johnson $6,050,000
Linas Kleiza $4,600,000
DeMar DeRozan $3,344,250
Jonas Valanciunas: $2,812,200
James Johnson $2,812,006
Ed Davis $2,207,040
Terrence Ross $2,136,100
Gary Forbes $1,500,000
Solomon Alabi $890,000 (TO)
Roster slot cap hold (slot 13): $490,180

Total without Bayless: $47,893,638 - 10.1M cap space
Total with Bayless: $55,009,458 - 3M cap space

Salary Cap: $58 million
Tax Threshold: $70 million

- Jonas Valanciunas: last year's 5th slot rookie salary
- Note that the cap hold for rookies is their rookie scale salary, but rookies are typically signed to 120% of their rookie scale - as such, it would be best if they are signed after the other free agents. They will likely be "unofficially" signed early, then actually sign the papers later in July.
- Alabi is on a Team Option, so the Raps can drop him. But they have to do so by tomorrow, I believe. It would increase their cap space by ~0.4M, as his cap hold would need to be replaced by an empty roster slot cap hold.

Amnesty candidates and resultant cap space (with/without Bayless cap hold):
Jose: 20.7M / 13.6M
Amir: 16.2M / 9.0M
Kleiza: 14.7M / 7.6M

Also note how expensive Bayless' cap hold is. If the team plans to re-sign him to a MLE level or somewhat lower contract, that should be their first move, to free up a couple million dollars in cap space. So you can add the difference between 7.6M and whatever he signs for to all above "with Bayless" numbers if they are smart. Assuming 5 million starting, that's an additional 2.6 million in cap space. Nothing to sneeze at.

So the most I can see in operable cap space, is if they release Alabi (he could always be re-signed as a free agent to the minimum), renounce their rights to Bayless (and Weems, who I've completely ignored in this, assuming they will waive his rights), and amnesty Jose (or trade him into cap space), is 21.1 million.

For information, Weems is currently a cap hold of $1,059,389 if a QO is extended. If it isn't, the cap hold is $854,389, but they may as well waive his rights if they don't restrict him.
Do you think, if need be, BC will use the stretch provision (don't know what it's called exactly but you know what I'm talking about) on LKZ?
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #39 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,196
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Do you think, if need be, BC will use the stretch provision (don't know what it's called exactly but you know what I'm talking about) on LKZ?
Can't. The stretch provision is applicable only to players who signed contracts since the inception of the new CBA.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Can't. The stretch provision is applicable only to players who signed contracts since the inception of the new CBA.
thanks
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24